Catsailor.com

ACWS San Francisco

Posted By: P.M.

ACWS San Francisco - 08/22/12 07:05 PM

Should be an exciting 5 days in San Francisco Bay.
Match Racing today.
Everything you need here.

YouTube live stream starts August 23rd.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/25/12 12:42 AM

Fender bender.

Posted By: Timbo

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/25/12 01:27 AM

That was a wild crash, but I was very surprised at how little damage there was to both the cat, and the committee boat! That thing must be made of steel, I figured they would cut right into it, but instead they bounced right off it. Looked like all they need is some duct tape and they'll be good to go. Amazing.

But the two fleet races today were very good, lots of lead changing going on. Great to watch.
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/25/12 07:41 AM

ACC is fixing the damage right now, and it will be virtually invisible for races tomorrow.

Here's the repair as it looks at the moment.

[Linked Image]

There are other neat things to see in The Bay this week too! Really neat!

Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/25/12 11:11 AM

It wasn't wild, it was stupid.

If you watch the 2 minutes before the start, you see Couts way up high all by himself. He then proceeded to barge into the start and had no where to go.

20 and 0 in America's Cup races, World Championships and Olympic Gold Medal and he pulls a bone headed stunt like this. He couldn't get away with this move in one of our fleets let alone one of this quality.

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/25/12 01:45 PM

I agree, I don't know why he thought it would work, but I'll bet he won't do it again!

Did you see the port/starboard cross with Swordfish, on starboard, having to fly a hull right over the top of Korea to 'miss' them? That was pretty funny, but Korea got hit with the penalty which tubed them. They had done a great comeback by going out into the current going downwind and went from 5th to second place, but then the penalty killed them.

I was wondering why more boats were not going left (looking downwind from the A mark gate) with all that current to help them, when going downwind. It seemed to me that the few boats who did go out there made big gains going downwind.
Posted By: Jake

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/26/12 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jkkartz1

If you watch the 2 minutes before the start, you see Couts way up high all by himself. He then proceeded to barge into the start and had no where to go.

20 and 0 in America's Cup races, World Championships and Olympic Gold Medal and he pulls a bone headed stunt like this. He couldn't get away with this move in one of our fleets let alone one of this quality.

Yeah, but they are all reaching to the start line on those starts. One boat in the middle could point up into the wind and take half the fleet into the committee boat if they wanted to. There is a bit of a complicated give/take going on there and I can see how he might have thought they were all going to play nice.
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/26/12 03:00 PM

We were at the Hobie Midwinters East at St Augustine Beach many years ago. Some sailors from West Virginia had set up next to us on the beach. As we were discussing tactics, one of them said, "We quit drinking beer on the boat. About 3 minutes before the start we take a good swig of White Lightning and get real aggressive on the starting line".

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/26/12 03:03 PM

It's going to be on TV today, is that right?

On NBC, about 2pm east coast?

With my luck we'll lose the power, or the cable, or the internet, or all three, about 2pm! The Weather Channel is saying power is out in Miami right now.

Hold on tight down there Rick and Mary!
Posted By: daniel_t

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/26/12 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
... but they are all reaching to the start line on those starts.

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the reaching start. The reach at the end, sure -- it's relatively pointless, just a parade, but the RRS can accommodate it -- but the rules aren't designed for reaching starts.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/26/12 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by jkkartz1

Yeah, but they are all reaching to the start line on those starts. One boat in the middle could point up into the wind and take half the fleet into the committee boat if they wanted to. There is a bit of a complicated give/take going on there and I can see how he might have thought they were all going to play nice.

For the fleet racing it would waste time, but I was wondering why the leeward boat didn't take up his competitor in the match racing. Before the gun of course. Drive him up above the boat ,then bareaway and start,leaving him to have to tack around to start. Maybe there are some special ACWS rules to cover that.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/26/12 08:04 PM

Who sails a blue wildcat with red sails in SF?
One of the helicopters filmed them while they where trying to right the boat smile
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 04:54 AM

Charles has a Black hulls with red sails.
Posted By: orphan

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 12:22 PM

The best part was the boat that took him up. Spithill.

Did you hear the comment with Russel after another tight mark rounding with Spithill? Russel gave him some room and the commentator ask him if it was the sporting thing to do. Russel replied that if it was the other way around he would have been run into the mark boat. Sound like the boss gets no respect.
Posted By: catman

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
It's going to be on TV today, is that right?

On NBC, about 2pm east coast?

With my luck we'll lose the power, or the cable, or the internet, or all three, about 2pm! The Weather Channel is saying power is out in Miami right now.

Better yet,
The local news cuts in during the match race about the "horrible tropical storm" and by the time they come back the race is over. BRILLIANT!

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 01:44 PM

Yeah, that happened at my house too! The horrible...rain event. We've had much worse winds and rain from every big thunderstorm all summer long!

We must have the same NBC coverage (Storm Team 8, Steve Jerve, right?).

http://www2.tbo.com/weather/local/interactive-radar/
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 01:59 PM

The first Hurricane always gets hyped to desensitize you for the rest of the really bad ones.

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 02:08 PM

Yup, way too much hype, and then they wonder why nobody listens when they say to evacuate...
Posted By: pgp

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 02:15 PM

We've had more rain than I expected. A lot more...

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/27/12 02:34 PM

Well could you please send some of that over to Sebring? My lake is still 5 feet below 'normal'! I was hoping we'd get a foot of rain, but I doubt we even got 4 inches, it's stopped now.

Looks like the sun may be coming out soon. I was just out walking the dogs, other than a couple trash cans lying on their sides, no 'storm damage' to report.

You boys in Nawluns have fun with it, I hope it doesn't intensify too much before it gets there, of course you do have Jim Cantori there to save you if it does!

Looks to me like it's surrounded by dry air, so I doubt it's going to blow up into more than a Cat. 1.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/28/12 02:49 PM

not sure why, but I was able to pick up Sat and Sun racing live (or close to "live" - I turned it on 17:00 EST) with no commercials on two different internet enabled TVs with YouTube.

The announcer pronounces it "Jimmy Spittle" which makes me giggle.... The drooling dude is winning!
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/28/12 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by F-18 5150

They were out there several days, and I couldn't help but leave my photographic post and take shots from my peeps!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ACWS San Francisco - 08/28/12 09:37 PM

J,
You must be so stoked over there!

Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
Originally Posted by F-18 5150

They were out there several days, and I couldn't help but leave my photographic post and take shots from my peeps!

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums