Catsailor.com

Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long...

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/26/12 11:02 PM

I couldn't find it in a search on here.

If you were storing your boat (in this case an infusion) outdoors all winter (in this case SE Wisconsin),

HOw,what would you use?
- a Cheapee changed every year?
- middle ground every few years?
- a superior tarp to last a lifetime?

Any examples/links of each of your answers would be nice,
TIA

Todd
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/26/12 11:29 PM

Do you have an egress window somewhere that you could slip the hulls into the basement?

I do not like letting boats sit outside, especially in the winter. The freeze\thaw process can't be good for things. Even if its butt butt cold, chances are the inside of the hull warms up just enough for the water to thaw when its in the sun. Then when the sun goes down, it just freezes again. Not a big deal if its dry, but its not. Unless you live in the desert its about impossible to get hulls completely dried out. My concern is water expands when it freezes, it gets into places, expands and slowly blows things apart.

I knock mine apart and hang it on the wall at the shop. I just made a couple of simple brackets out of 2x4's and set the beam sockets on them. The front and rear beam stack up in the triangle of the brace pretty well too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/27/12 01:05 AM

Get a good Kinder Yard cover and skip the tarp stuff . You'll come out ahead in the long run.

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/28/12 01:12 AM

OK, thanks for the posts.

Despite the fact I see Karl farily often around here, and he gives me a load of **** just for being a Texan, I agree with his explanation of the freeze/thaw process of the realituy of the situation.

I looked up the 'Kinder' cover for my boat- $950, but shipping IS free- oh, as if I was concerned!
I think that would work great in a tropical, non hard freeze area.

As Of now, I do plan to modify one of my basement windows to more of a pass thru/larger window, that could fit an Infusion boat hull.

Now I'm thinking put them in my large family room thru the front door!! Can't wait for the Mandarin ripping I'll get form the wife unit when I try that one!!

It's either get a cheaper tarp, which would do the same as an expensive tarp- and go thru the process that Karl explained (and btw Karl, your explanation is flawless), or put the hulls somewhere they won't reach freezing point inside.

Thanks to all

Ya know, there is a guy around these parts in WI that stores boats for people in his 'pole barn', except that it's not entirely enclosed, and I'm sure it reaches freezing there also.

Despite the Mandarin ripping, I'm thinking I'm going to hang them horizontal from my 18ft family room ceiling!!
Posted By: orphan

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/28/12 12:15 PM

Hang um up at some funky offset angles. Redirect some lighting and tell her it is new thing in nautical theme interior design.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/28/12 02:17 PM

could you store them upside down outside? at least the water wouldn't tend to pool in the hulls... but still may have the freeze/thaw issue...

Tell you what... just send your boat to me in the winter. It never freezes in Naples. smile
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/28/12 02:33 PM

I want pictures if you hang it in your living room.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/28/12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Hill
I want pictures if you hang it in your living room.

[Linked Image]
My living room
Posted By: bacho

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/28/12 10:16 PM

I like this set-up

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/29/12 02:44 AM

Dude! Bad mother ****ing butt! Best chandelier ever.
I don't have a single room in this house I could get a boat into. I'd be on that like white on rice if i could.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/29/12 03:19 AM

That's Super John's wrecked boat and I think it's a permanent fixture, not just stored. He'd tell ya all about it but he's probably at Burning Man.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/29/12 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Dude! Bad mother ****ing butt! Best chandelier ever.
I don't have a single room in this house I could get a boat into. I'd be on that like white on rice if i could.

When I saw that boat haning from the ceiling I thought, why not just put it on the floor, throw a queen size mattress on the tramp, and say, "Look Sweetie pie, I bought us a new bed!"

Gives a whole new meaning to 'trim the sheets!' and 'Coming About!'.

;^)
Posted By: orphan

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/29/12 07:19 PM

or Jibe HO!!
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/29/12 07:23 PM

Oh...that's just nasty, you're nasty!

Who's your Skipper??!
Posted By: RTodd

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 08/29/12 11:58 PM

Photo evidence as requested. My winter storage solution on Cape Cod.

[Linked Image]

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 09/01/12 03:42 AM

Thanks for all the great replies and pics!
even my rear sliding patio door won't fit my boat thru.
Now I've got to break it Down and hang the hulls in my family room!

In a few months when it happens, I'll post the pics.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 09/01/12 04:28 AM

There are some threads here somewhere about this, especially cheap tarps vs. pricey covers.

Have to agree with all comments about putting it indoors if at all possible. Even just a garage is better than being out in the sun and tree goo, air pollution, etc.

Ask any Hobie 17 or 18 owner about expanding water (ice) and wing sockets (hull damage/leaks).

The living room pics are insane. I'd still be single... smile

Mike

Re: Covering your boat, outdoors- winter long... - 09/01/12 06:45 PM

Hanging them in my garage is so an option, but it often gets below 32f in there also
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums