Catsailor.com

Worstest Catamaran Nominations?

Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 05:03 AM

What do you think is the worst catamaran of all time?
(...and NO sausage jokes!)
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 12:18 PM

I bought a new Hobie 16 and I think that the dealer at La Trinite went through his store and put every single faulty piece of junk together that he could find. It took ages to get the wreck up to speed. I deepley hate that individual boat - it messed up a whole youth career!

Big fan of Hobie 16s in general though.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 01:56 PM

I have a couple of candidates.

The proa (it has 2 hulls) that two guys had built out of aluminum ducting from a description on the internet. They tried to sail it but, the main hull just folded up and it sank. They were going to leave it, but the Deputy that patrols the park had a talk with them and they hauled it away.

The cheap inflatable catamaran (vinyl round hulls, no centerboard, flat plywood rudders) I heard that one of the local discount places was selling them for $99. I saw 4 or 5 of them in the late 80's. In no case did the sail go well.

The tunnel hull Moth. Think 75 lb Hobie Bravo with a good sail rig. The Class Association outlawed all forms of multihulls. If they hadn't outlawed them, we would have a real 12 ft sailing class now.

My vote would go to the Moth Class Association as lower than the cheap inflatable.
Posted By: pitchpoledave

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 03:44 PM

How about that one that was made with 2 windsurfers.. 3 PHds thought it up and wrote a paper on it but I can't find it.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by pitchpoledave
How about that one that was made with 2 windsurfers.. 3 PHds thought it up and wrote a paper on it but I can't find it.

You mean this?

Posted By: pitchpoledave

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 08:03 PM

ya that one
Posted By: ccat

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 08:11 PM

Aqua Cat...

Floating lawn furniture
Posted By: timtower

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/06/12 10:40 PM

remember this thing?

Attached picture 309090380_e6c894ca4d.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/07/12 04:45 AM

[Linked Image]

What about this one? They only raced it twice and then couldn't even give it away.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/07/12 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
[Linked Image]

What about this one? They only raced it twice and then couldn't even give it away.

I'd say that WAS one of the best (Most expensive and costly to maintain but still...) until a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: jeremyh

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/07/12 10:26 PM

what ended up happening to alinghi 5?
Posted By: windswept

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/10/12 04:39 PM

The Macgregor 14 that I picked up in 1977 for $250. Aluminum rudder blades the bent when the rig was powered up. It would also submarine on you. I guess that is better than pitch-poling it.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/11/12 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by windswept
Aluminum rudder blades that bent

I remember someone telling me ~1973 that if you could not afford good wooden rudders, aluminum rudders were better than the fiberglass. Both the aluminum and fiberglass rudders bent but the aluminum ones could be bent more times before they broke
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/17/12 05:23 AM

Aqua Cats get picked on a lot. They certainly look like bad news, but does anyone have any actual experience sailing this infamous craft?
Posted By: fredsmith

Re: Worstest Catamaran Nominations? - 09/17/12 02:18 PM

Yes- Spent a week of a holiday trying to stop it from a pitch-pole.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums