Catsailor.com

Battling for the Start

Posted By: Isotope235

Battling for the Start - 10/17/12 02:32 AM

Here's a video from the Isotope SAYRA One-Design Championship. It shows two boats maneuvering in the pre-start to win the committe boat end of the starting line.

I hope you enjoy it,
Eric
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Battling for the Start - 10/17/12 03:54 PM

looks like a nice peeling off that windward boat.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Battling for the Start - 10/17/12 07:59 PM

great start.
nice to see how it's supposed to work
Posted By: brucat

Re: Battling for the Start - 10/20/12 01:36 AM

Nice. Some random thoughts:

Was waiting for... "The bad news was, it was pin-favored and we lost the fleet!"

Y-flag? Don't see that every day...

Didn't look like enough wind for trapezing, surprised you even flew a hull.

No offense, but no pre-start peeling video will ever match up to Todd Riccardi at Steeplechase 2011.

Mike
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Battling for the Start - 10/20/12 05:23 AM

Ugh - drysuit? I remember those!

Well played, sir - textbook. Love the roller-furling jib, too - must be a nice quiet boat between races. Thanks for the vid.
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: Battling for the Start - 10/21/12 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by brucat
Was waiting for... "The bad news was, it was pin-favored and we lost the fleet!"

Actually, there was a small right shift within the last minute (after I took a transit on the layline). The committee boat end was favored. That really wasn't my big concern though - I was more intent on forcing Steve into a bad start, rather than getting the best start myself. Steve and I were close in the point standings for the club season championship and I wanted a jump on him. It doesn't show in the video, but another boat sailed beneath us and beat us both to the start.

Y-flag? Don't see that every day...

Didn't look like enough wind for trapezing, surprised you even flew a hull.

Winds don't look as high in the video as they felt on the course. At the start of the day, it was blowing 13-15 knots with higher gusts. In the first two races, two boats (one Isotope and one Buccanneer) capsized. The wind did lighten up some for the last race - to about 8. I can fly a hull in 5.

Originally Posted by John Williams
Ugh - drysuit? I remember those!
Love the roller-furling jib, too - must be a nice quiet boat between races.

No drysuit. It was chilly in the morning, so I was wearing a rain jacket and pants over my wetsuit. Roller furling is nice. In the first race, I furled the jib when sailing upwind. I could have trapped out instead, but I managed to point high and keep up anyway. I pulled the jib out downwind, and upwind when the wind lightened in the second and third races.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Regards,
Eric
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums