Catsailor.com

Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach

Posted By: RickWhite

Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/26/12 10:00 PM

Man, these folks know how to put on a regatta:
15 boats registered.., and some hot entries.
Supposed to have 5-10 out of the NE today, and started out like that. But, the forecasted wind petered out and the sea breeze battled with the forecasted wind. Seabreeze was out of the South.., Ouch!
I managed to get sizable lead to weather mark and held it to shortened couse finish.
We beached and lunched and watched the two wind patterns fight it out most of the afternoon.
About 3PM the frontal wind was starting to win, so we went back out to winds of 5-7, and very shifty, with lots of holes.
I nailed a great start and was able to walk over the boats to leeward. Most of the fleet tacked off to the right side of the course. However, I saw a dark patch of water off the left, so held.
Sure enough it was a starboard header, so tacked and was overstanding the mark with the fleet all well below. I was going to be a mile ahead.
NOT
Just before the mark was a hole and port tack header. Seven boats crossed ahead.
Charlie Trinque had the lead and kept it.
I managed to get back in 4th, but we now have a near 4-way tie for first.., actually four boats only 1 point apart.
WInds tomorrow around 15 and 20 on Sunday.
Looking forward to not drifting.
Rick
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/28/12 02:29 AM

https://picasaweb.google.com/117331102107137496366/WavePhotosTrinque# for pictures from Holly that will tell Rick's tale.

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/28/12 12:21 PM

Day two and lots of wind and waves.
Winds ranged between 18 and 25 and the seas were very lumpy. Tom Whitehurst must have been afraid to sail with the rest of us.., he would simply go way out ahead and then pull away. WOn every race.
I pitchpoled before the start, making it very cold to sail the rest of the day.
NOt sure of the scores yet

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/28/12 10:34 PM

Yep, Saturday in the big air and huge chop done me in. Retired for the last race. It was great fun while I still had the strength, but I was so tired it was all I could do sit upright or sheet in. All I needed was another capsize and probably would not have had enough left in the tank to get back on the boat. So, off to the beach.
Sunday I packed up early, and discovered they had already called it a regatta, with trophies to be presented at the Pensacola Beach YC (which, by the way, is great party bar) at 11AM
On Saturday Night they threw a Haloween Party Dinner Buffet which was awesome. And all the food was ghoulishish. Great party. But you knew that -- after all this is Capt Kirks Territory.
FIrst place was Tom Whitehurst, who simply blew everyone away in the light air.
Charlie Trinque took second place in a tie with Kirk Newkirk, and I somehow managed 4th place even with the retirement.
Masters Champ was MOI, and Lady Champ was Sharon Woodruff, wife of Stan Woodruff, who passed away just recently after a long battle with cancer.
Great to see Sharon there.., and she plans on coming to the Nationals the first weekend in December at the Islander in Islamorada, Florida in the Florida Keys.
Might be a great time to throw a really nice wake for Stan.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/29/12 02:15 AM

That looked like fun!
Posted By: BadLatitude1337

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/29/12 02:20 PM

http://youtu.be/NtTcgb5drmg
Posted By: pgp

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/29/12 02:30 PM

Great video!
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/29/12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by RickWhite
I pitchpoled

You got a Wave do do that? Man, that actually takes a lot of skill...

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/29/12 11:03 PM

Quite easy in those wind and wave conditions. Actually I pitchpoled before the start of the first race while they were trying to get the start line to quite drifting.
TOok about 50 percent out of me even before the race began. And in temps that were in the 50s. And at the ripe age of 75. Guess the reason I bailed after 5 races in those conditions.

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/30/12 02:33 PM

when it does flip over, how difficult is it to right? With those keels and the Bob at the masthead, I'm hoping not too difficult?
Posted By: brucat

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/30/12 06:49 PM

Righting is easy. Getting back on? Not so much...

Mike

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/30/12 08:37 PM

+1
I did not even have to use a righting line in that wind. Just grabbed the beam up high, leaned back a little and up she came. I usually try to jump on the hull so it is easy to get back on, but missed. It was a struggle to get back on.
I do have a spreader bar on the front, making it a little easier.
Rick

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/31/12 02:26 PM

well, it's already got cup-holders, why not a folding stepladder?

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/31/12 06:42 PM

www.crossfit.com

Try this instead.

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 10/31/12 08:04 PM

obviously that is for folks with a decent amount of spare time and a type "A" personality smile

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 11/01/12 06:09 PM

hey, this can be a rugged sport, even on a wave. NEVER hurts to get in shape. Could save your life. Spare time? Wish I had some.

Re: Waves NAs at Pensacola Beach - 11/01/12 07:40 PM

I'm just hoping I can get the grommets exercising with me soon so I have an excuse to shake away and work on the waistline...
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums