Catsailor.com

I hear its really big all the time. Thanks....

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 02:46 AM

Does anybody ever bitch that their sail box is too big? Hell no.

I haven't figured the volume, but this thing is massive. 13+ feet long, almost 8-1/2 feet wide at the top of the "T". Front section is 40" tall, the back is 28" tall, and 42" wide. Spin pole is a non issue, hell the cat-trax will fit inside. The cat-trax is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway, (something I'm way too familiar with....), going into that box.

Just the bottom made up and sized:
[Linked Image]

putting the sides on:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've got nine hours into it to get it to this point. I'm going to have to finish a few things up tomorrow. Bondo screw holes, and make a lid and a couple of doors, then she'll be ready for paint.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know plywood isn't going to last very long, but I wasn't ready to shell out probably $4k to have this thing built from diamond plate. Plus it'd be nice to try it out before making the jump to a really expensive box. As is, there's about $600 in material there. My last one was made out of wood and really poorly finished, and severely neglected and I probably could've gone through all of next season before it started to really disintegrate. It survived three full seasons of sitting outside.

Posted By: Timbo

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 10:28 AM

Cover it with glass cloth and cheap resin, it will last a long time and you can sleep in it instead of paying for a motel, so you've got that going for you!

All you need is an air mattress and your inflatable date.

"If the toy box is a rock'n, don't bother knock'n!"
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 11:03 AM

Nice workshop!

Any concept sketch to see how it is planned to turn out?

Epoxy resin and paint on cheap ply makes it last "forever"
Posted By: pgp

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 12:09 PM

Throw in your sleeping bag and you're good for the winter.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
Nice workshop!

Any concept sketch to see how it is planned to turn out?

Its my work, kinda why I need to get it outta here this weekend. The shop is nice, but it's seriously short on space. I need another 5000 sq/ft (465sq/m) to get comfortable again. The building I'm in is for sale, (I rent this space), if and when it does sell my business might be homeless and it'll be time to put up a new building. Though I'm not sure I'll be able to afford to put up much more than 5000 sq/ft to start with. But if I lay it out with the intention of adding on, it won't be that big of a deal to do so.

I didn't really have a plan going into it. Just to maximize the available space that's on the trailer. I'll sort out where everything is going to go inside once I have it finished up, and I try to load it up with everything.

I need to have it painted and ready to travel for next weekend.

I've got a gallon of the bed liner stuff, I think I'm going to do the front of the box with that. Should help protect it from the pickup a little bit. All terrain tires, doesn't really matter too much. They throw up some sh!t.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 07:56 PM

Looks good.
Whatever you cover it with, take the advice and epoxy it first, especially end grain. Been there and it works. Only place I had problems was where screws were put in for hardware, the rest held up for about 15 years.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 08:27 PM

I am sure this is common knowlegde but I mention it anyway.
Where fittings are to be secured with screws drill the holes oversize. Fill with thickened epoxy. Then re-drill once hardened and mount the fittings. This stops water from getting inside the ply ruining it with swelling etc. Works for both screws and through bolts.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 10:05 PM

I ain't got time for epoxy right now. Seriously one more step would mean it wouldn't be hitting the road in a week. I've got just enough time to slap some paint on it, anchor it, and hit the road.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 10:10 PM

Why not skip the paint for now then and just cover it in a quick setting epoxy. You can always paint it later but you can not add epoxy over the paint.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/28/12 10:34 PM

Well.... Just slid it on the trailer. Fooked up a little bit. Just realized that my center mast cradle is pretty much useless now because I made the front section of the box too tall. Pisser. Not the end of the world though, I've got four others.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's just enough room for a F18 on there too.

I really wish my new enclosed was done. Would've been nice to pull that down, but it won't be done until after Thanksgiving.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/29/12 03:14 AM

I would get a mudflap that goes from one side of your car to the other because any rocks you flick up are going to hit the back of your car including the rear window (Don't ask me how I know). You could thin the epoxy and brush it on, it will soak in and dry overnight. A big advantage is it will fill any gaps making the box waterproof, at the moment you cant wash your boat on that trailer without wrecking the box.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/29/12 04:51 PM

I made a (much smaller) box like that out of door-skin on a 1 x 2 frame (cut down 2x4) and coated inside/outside in cheap polyester resin and glassed the edges.

Did what Rolf said and cut larger hole for screws, filled them in with epoxy/cabosil and re-drilled them. Learned that from mounting winches on my dad's boat.

Thing went 3 seasons (at least) without noticable rotting before I sold the thing. Stored outside and washed the boat on the trailer occasionally...

Probably would have lasted longer if I'd designed it better. Could stand on most parts of the box, too.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 02:29 AM

Well, I epoxied the whole thing inside and out. I pretty much wholesale murdered some brain cells sitting inside that thing. The first cost of paint should go well though.

I thinned out the epoxy with about 12% acetone, went on pretty nicely that way. It's thin, but it can be. I'll post some more pics in a bit.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 02:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, does that box weigh more than your boat?

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 04:09 PM

It's not to bad. More than 200#'s, but not a heck of a lot more. Two of us picked it up and set it on the trailer. I'm fine with weight. Truck is got plenty of snort, brakes, and suspension. The trailer has a pair of 2500# axles, but I'm only tagged for 3k#'s, it'll be close with three boats and gear. Really I'm adding more tongue weight than anything.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 04:14 PM

is that "instead of" the pop up camper you were looking at?

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 05:00 PM

Karl, what are you using to secure the box to the trailer? U bolts or...?

The reason I ask is, one of my biggest problems is ants getting into my box through the little bit of space around the bolt holes, then 'nesting' in my sails and stuff! I have learned to spray ant killer all around the U bolt holes to keep the little bastads out...but some still manage to find a way in.
Posted By: tback

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 06:13 PM

I use self-tapping screws

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 06:20 PM

Screwed directly down into the trailer beams, from the inside of the box?
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 06:54 PM

yes

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 07:59 PM

UUHHHH...Or you could try silicone around the U bolt holes. Personally I think duct tape is the bomb.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 09:07 PM

There's places to bolt through the trailer and the box towards the front. It'll go through the channel that the rack and rear mast stand is attached to now. I'll throw four in the front and in the back I'm just going to jamb some wood screws down through the decking. Its not going anywhere unless I roll it the whole mess, then I don't really care anyways.

Pulling it over to my brother's with my little truck I was blind behind me. I'm curious what it'll be like with the diesel sitting up a little higher and being a bit wider. I think the bottom of my back window is about the same height as the top of the box. Always make me nervous when there's a pile of masts on the trailer, if I were to get rearended by a semi truck, those masts would all come through the cab. *shudder*

Might throw a camera on the back just for entertainment. Hell, GoPro 3 and my ipad for that matter. I refuse to put the big mirrors on my pickup. Its 2012, we have the technology, and I don't need those hideous monster mirrors.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/30/12 09:24 PM

Some pretty cheap waterproof video cameras have wireless connectivity to modern phones & Ipads. You could rig one up on the end of your mast facing back when your driving and leave it there so it's facing down when your sailing. Good move sealing the timber.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 01:27 AM

I put a wireless back-up camera($49.00 on Ebay) on the motorhome.The camera was supposed to get it's power from the reverse lights, but I wanted to use it for checking out the boat while going down the road. Didn't want to have to run a wire to the back so I wired it in to the parking lights and just turn them on when I want to check things out.Even has night vision. Cheap and easy just like you, Karl.
p.s. just towed An enclosed 1/2 height box trailer to A cat worlds and couldn't see crap except the side mirrors. No fun.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by MN3
is that "instead of" the pop up camper you were looking at?

Nope. Not planning on sleeping in it, though it might happen. Just wanted enough room for five boats of crap, and gear. I hate when the cab of the pickup is packed full. I like having my .45, an AR, my backpack, and my computer case in the cab and thats it. Maybe a sleeping bag+pillow as well to get some zzz's on the road.

I wanted it to be big enough to get my jet ski in there, but thats not happening. Maybe the next one I'll push it out over the tongue more to make room for that. I kinda want to sell this trailer and get a new one anyways.
Posted By: PTP

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
I like having my .45, an AR, my backpack, and my computer case in the cab

hmmm, is there a reason you are including that?
you would be the first to install a gun-rack on your cat!

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 03:22 AM

I'm just saying I like to keep the in cab things to a minimum.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 02:25 PM

did you incorporate a brass pole on that box? It would certainly come in handy at truck stops.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 03:22 PM

Here's something I've been thinking about;

A box trailer with a ramp in back, where you can roll the entire boat inside, rest it on bunks, or the floor, put the mast on top. With the added benefit of it being big enough to sleep in (too drunk to drive? Nah, that would never happen!) at the regatta site.

BUT, our boats are 8'6" wide, and the max width for trailers is also 8'6"....right? Most 'normal' race car box type trailers are only about 8' wide, not wide enough to roll a cat in on the beach wheels....

I mentioned this at a regatta and someone said Nigel has an extra wide box trailer? Any one have details on that? Do you have to get it custom built or do they make them pretty much standard? And how much extra do you have to pay to get it registered, OR, do I need a follow me "Wide Load" car with yellow lights to chase me to all the regattas??

Somehow I doubt Nigel's wife is driving one of those!
Posted By: tback

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo

A box trailer with a ramp in back, where you can roll the entire boat inside, rest it on bunks, or the floor, put the mast on top. With the added benefit of it being big enough to sleep in (too drunk to drive? Nah, that would never happen!) at the regatta site.

BUT, our boats are 8'6" wide, and the max width for trailers is also 8'6"....right? Most 'normal' race car box type trailers are only about 8' wide, not wide enough to roll a cat in on the beach wheels....

I mentioned this at a regatta and someone said Nigel has an extra wide box trailer? Any one have details on that? Do you have to get it custom built or do they make them pretty much standard? And how much extra do you have to pay to get it registered, OR, do I need a follow me "Wide Load" car with yellow lights to chase me to all the regattas??

I believe, in FL, you can get a <registration> for a wider load for only a small premium.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 03:51 PM

Thanks Terry, if I get one, you can be my first renter for overnight accomdations!

Now...I guess I go shopping on Craig's List?

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 04:05 PM

A guy in The Netherlands had a micro trailer camper that was pretty cool. It was posted here on CS.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by tback
I believe, in FL, you can get a <registration> for a wider load for only a small premium.

OVERDIMENSION
(d) Trailers or equipment towed with ball or pintle:

- Up to 10 feet wide OR up to 13'6" high OR up to 80' long - $5.00 /trip or $20.00 annual

NOTE: For weights over 80,000 pounds (like Karl's new box) add an administrative cost of $3.33 for issuance of permit

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 10/31/12 06:38 PM

Box trailers. Just go with a ten foot sidewall. Instead of a ramp door in the back, put one on each side taller than the boat is wide. Strap the boat to the ramp, flip it up. Done deal, not much f-ing around, and you could run a skinnier trailer.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 12:10 AM

According to AHPC the Viper is 8.2 ft wide so it would technically fit inside an 8.5 wide car trailer? I've been looking at them as an option. It would be a tight fit and the wheel wells might pose a bit of a problem. would be a great winter garage for the boat as well. Nigel's is 9.5wide x 28 long, I talked to him today.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 01:59 AM

I doubt it. Most of the time the framing is at least 1-1/2" thick on each side. Plus sheeting, (not much), and whatever is skinning the inside of the trailer. 8'-6" starts looking more like 8'-2" pretty quickly.

I bought a new Featherlite enclosed trailer for work. For the long trips/major events I'm just going to knock it apart and throw it on some beams going to the wall in the etrack. That flippin trailer was almost $15k, having something made even more custom would just be astronomical. And yeah, sure, you can go with a lesser brand trailer, but they suck balls to tow, they go through tires, and all aren't aren't worth saving a few bucks.

Got two coats of paint on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 01:05 PM

Nice work Karl! You only need an air mattress and a satelite dish, you'll be good to stay in there all winter in Florida!

;^)

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 01:24 PM

looks nicer than those "tube hotels" in Japan

[Linked Image]

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 01:41 PM

I -wish- I got that much private space at home!

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 02:44 PM

I -wish- I got that much private space at home!

No man-cave? You better inform your wife then that it is illegal under the human rights code to not have a man-cave in the house, and you are going to implement the man-cave today! Then take whatever room you want and declare it out of bounds for female intervention or influence.

You need the man-cave!

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 04:28 PM

Are you married Rolf? My wife says I get to go away from here so much, that when I'm home, she says, "IT's YOUR TURN" to do the laundry, dishes, feed the dogs, take out the trash, etc.

My only man cave is in my layover hotel in Dubai! Those Arabs, they really know how to treat their women...

;^)
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 04:52 PM

How about that lake in the back yard.

A few years ago I was suffering from the effects of female puberty and menopause. Someone asked me how I was handling it. I said, "There is a patch for these diseases, its a patch of water I take the boat to".

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 05:07 PM

Oh I spend as much time as possible out there, believe me! But right now I'm going to go ride my bike around the lake, try to work off some of the Sam Adams tumor I've been growing.

Luckily the wife is teaching school today, so I'm King for a Day...until she gets home!

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 05:23 PM

Are you married Rolf? My wife says I get to go away from here so much, that when I'm home, she says, "IT's YOUR TURN" to do the laundry, dishes, feed the dogs, take out the trash, etc.

My only man cave is in my layover hotel in Dubai! Those Arabs, they really know how to treat their women...

;^)

My wife said much the same. She is now my ex wife and I have a well equipped workshop

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 05:50 PM

um, there's a moral there..
Posted By: Jake

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 07:18 PM

I was out of town yesterday while a Russian ex-pat came to build a template for the counter top going in our upstairs office. He asked about the exact sink placement and Bonnie said, let me call my husband and see what he thinks. The Russian said, in a thick accent, "you are not like most American women".

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 07:38 PM

she said I could use our mailbox as my "Man Cave".

I told her I was experiencing "Man-o-Pause" and would be looking at acquiring a new boat.

Then I got kicked in the seeds. Or, more exactly, got the freezer door slammed on them

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/01/12 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
she said I could use our mailbox as my "Man Cave".

I told her I was experiencing "Man-o-Pause" and would be looking at acquiring a new boat.

Then I got kicked in the seeds. Or, more exactly, got the freezer door slammed on them

Sounds like somebody needs to put on their pimp pants and step up.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 01:02 AM

The roll on bedliner **** is straight up nasty stuff. fyi

I'm almost there. I think tomorrow night will have this thing pretty much wrapped up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 02:59 AM

Nice work, I love the hardwood floors!

Are you going to add a bowling alley?

;^)

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 04:23 AM

Are you going to add a bowling alley?

If there's room in the basement after the pool and the shooting range are finished up. Still working on the layout for that one.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 12:30 PM

I was just thinking, Robbie probably has you beat by couple of orders of magnitude.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 01:11 PM

Yeahbut...his trailer box is only for boat stuff!

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
I was just thinking, Robbie probably has you beat by couple of orders of magnitude.

Not sure. Its certainly not twice as big. I'd guess maybe 25% larger?

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 02:03 PM

But you don't have a dock for a power boat.

Maybe this will start a whole trend of vacation condo boxes.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 03:06 PM

I think that's called an RV Pete.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 03:13 PM

The bigger the box the more crap you take with you.
Looks great though, are you a wood expert?
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 03:28 PM

Better not bring that thing to California, the CHP may get you for Over the Road Tax.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 03:43 PM

I think that's called an RV Pete.

ur no fun...

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
The bigger the box the more crap you take with you.
Looks great though, are you a wood expert?

Cabinet maker, so sorta

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/02/12 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Sounds like somebody needs to put on their pimp pants and step up.

it was too easy to just give up on that... Now I get to wear stretchy pants and eat bon-bons.

And I get to sail with a chip on my shoulder smile
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/03/12 09:25 PM

You've obviously not seen the Selmeyer's trailor, maybe you have, the front looks like the space shuttle?
They easily put two cats, the 8'6" ones flat, and a third with the crossbars off.

The longer masts go on top, but medium ones can fit inside as well.

Mr. Korte has a similar trailor, that fits 8'6" cats flat inside.

It can and has been done.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/04/12 03:41 AM

Trailer. wink

Mines about there. The lid in back won't be painted in time, but I threw a coat of epoxy on there yesterday on the top side, and a coat on the inside this morning. Mounting that, and a few catches to lock it are the last of the things that have to be done.

Tomorrow morning it hits the road for LaCrosse Wisconsin so I can pick up a Viper, and a NACRA F16 to bring down to F16 Nationals next weekend. Four hundred miles should be a nice shake down cruise. As is right now there is none of the dividers that I would like to have to keep parts from rubbing against one another, but I have a pile of moving blankets that will have to suffice for the time being.

The doors were never sealed in epoxy, and were poorly/hastily painted due to time constraints. They will have to be replaced at some point because of that. Not a big undertaking. Takes me less than an hour to make a couple of doors like that if the cutters are set up in the machines. Might have to do the next set raised panel. lol
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The inside of the lid in the back
[Linked Image]

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/04/12 04:50 AM

You'd better do them as 6 panel next time.

I mean, if you are going to do it, do it right!

But seriously, nice work!

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/04/12 06:34 AM

+1

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 02:16 PM

french doors, with glass panels

And a doorbell/door knocker - polished brass

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
french doors, with glass panels

And a doorbell/door knocker - polished brass

And a well stocked bar

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 07:33 PM

and a fireplace

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 08:23 PM

Hot tub.

and a well to keep the women I'll eventually make a woman suit out of.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 08:35 PM

Hot tub.

and a well to keep the women I'll eventually make a woman suit out of.

You are a deeply disturbed man! See ya in a couple days, the first rounds on me!

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 08:37 PM

Haha. I'm more twisted than disturbed.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 08:41 PM

Haha. I'm more twisted than disturbed.

.......Same diff......both come with padded rooms and dress codes that don't include belts or shoe laces.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/05/12 08:55 PM

Yea but I'm the one that is 5150.

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/07/12 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by F-18 5150
Yea but I'm the one that is 5150.

It's a California thing...

Re: I hear its really big all the time. Thanks.... - 11/08/12 08:40 PM

wasn't that a van halen album? Or was that OU812
Posted By: hobie1616