Catsailor.com

Nacra rudder Tendons

Posted By: FDUB flyers

Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 03:09 AM

Anyone know where I could get some rudder tendons with a line set in the middle, because I've already broke 3 rudder Tendons for my Nacra F16?
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 03:40 AM

Maybe steer less?

To actually answer the question, APS has rope core universals http://www.apsltd.com/c-287-replacementuniversals.aspx but I don't think the diameter would be large enough for what you need. Might be worth sending Jack or Gunnar an email, they would probably know best. Hope you get it sorted, broken parts are no fun.
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 03:55 AM

No reason you should have broke any after 1 season of sailing. I sailed my infusion for 2 years (including a tybee) with no issues. Maybe there is something going on with the angle of the tiller on the F16? If Kirk can lay off the Coors Light for a minute he might be able to tell you what you're doing wrong.
If you really wanted a rope in it, it wouldn't be that hard to put one in yourself, but it would probably weaken the "tendon" more. There is definitely nothing on the market of the right diameter with a rope in it.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 04:03 AM

How much of the rubber is showing between the tiller cross bar and the rudder arm? If there is to little it will put to much stress on the rubber piece. You may have to cut some off the rudder arm or tiller cross bar to make them fit right. I have had to do that on a few boats to get the rudders aligned right. Also pre drilling a hole before you put the screw in helps.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 06:21 AM

Yes, your cross- connector tube is too long
Posted By: Jake

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 12:48 PM

I second what Dave says. You should see at least an inch of the rubber piece between the rudder arm and the cross bar. If you don't see that much, you need to shorten your crossbar and realign the rudders. Properly setup, you should get multiple seasons out of those tendons (I've got about 5 on my F18).
Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 01:02 PM

Geez, try your local Nacra dealer. smirk Ya know, the one you bought the boat from.

wink
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 01:57 PM

I guess he is a little disappointed in his dealer if he set the boat up wrong. The quality control on Nacra is slim to non. Every boat I have gotten from them has had some kind of issues. When you spend 20,000 on a boat you really don't expect to have to get out the hack saw and dremel.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dlennard
I guess he is a little disappointed in his dealer if he set the boat up wrong. The quality control on Nacra is slim to non. Every boat I have gotten from them has had some kind of issues. When you spend 20,000 on a boat you really don't expect to have to get out the hack saw and dremel.

I think he's down there in the land of Captain Kirk @ Key Sailing...that should be a pretty easy part to get from them.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 02:20 PM

If the ahpc boats aren't set up by a dealer, there would be a grocery list of issues. Probably true of all of them, when you know what needs to be double checked, trimmed, or whatever its no big deal. Things get over looked as well. Sh!t happens, and people can get disgruntled for some strange reasons too.

I've had four Vipers from new. Only one hit the water with zero issues, and I spent two solid days building that boat.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/26/12 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail7
If Kirk can lay off the Coors Light for a minute he might be able to tell you what you're doing wrong.

I think Kirk would not even know how to sail if you took the Silver Bullet from him. It's sad he can do so well in that condition against the rest of us (being sober).

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/28/12 12:07 AM

Honestly the tendons made for the Nacra F16 aren't rubbery enough. So Randy and I have decided to order more rubbery plastic pieces that offer much more bend so we'll just modify the tendons.

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/28/12 12:37 AM

So the tendons used on the Infusion, Nacra 20, Nacra F17, etc. for the last 12 years aren't good enough?
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/28/12 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by wildtsail7
So the tendons used on the Infusion, Nacra 20, Nacra F17, etc. for the last 12 years aren't good enough?

Broken rubbers are no laughing matter. Alot of you guys Dad's will attest to that.

On that note, I never broke one on the N-20 and only changed them out once in the twelve years that I had it. That was also doing ALOT of mileage in distance races.
You've gotten the right advice, but if you want to re-invent the thing ,go for it.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/28/12 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by FDUB flyers
Honestly the tendons made for the Nacra F16 aren't rubbery enough. So Randy and I have decided to order more rubbery plastic pieces that offer much more bend so we'll just modify the tendons.

The tendons are pretty stiff and do not feel very rubbery in your hands. I agree that there is an error in the set-up of your boat. We all know Nacras QC wasn't there for you already.
Posted By: macca

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/28/12 02:04 AM

There was a batch of **** quality tendons that started in about 2009 and im not sure if they are all out of circulation by now.

I broke a lot of them in '09 and '10 and at one stage I was looking at older boats for their tendons to put on my new boats...

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/28/12 02:43 AM

There was a bad batch of everything when you were working at nacra wink
Posted By: macca

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/29/12 05:30 AM

I had to contribute something!!

but seriously, they are aware of it and i know from teams still there in 2010-'11 that they were all carrying spares in their trailer as they were still failing.

It was just a bad mix of material from the supplier..

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/29/12 11:28 AM

Yeah I hope that's not going to be the case for the nacra F17.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Nacra rudder Tendons - 11/29/12 12:30 PM

Broke one this year as well, lasted two years so not too bad I guess.
With Nacras its always a good idea to have some spare rudder parts (castings, casting-mount bolts, rubbers).
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums