Catsailor.com

Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet

Posted By: Stuff4Toys

Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/07/13 07:30 PM

Help us re-invigorate a SW Florida Hobie Fleet on beautiful Charlotte Harbor. We had a guy all prepped to do this and now he has gone on to other things.

Charlotte harbor is an excellent venue for Hobie Racing with the Charlotte Harbor Regatta coming up in February.

give me a call at 941-979-9728, let's talk about the possibilities.

John ><>
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/07/13 07:36 PM

It's a great place to race Nacras and AHPC's too.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/07/13 07:40 PM

That is so true... we are a Hobie Dealer so we have to place emphasis on the Waves and H-16's of course beach cats & tri's make great race partners.
Posted By: Mlcreek

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/07/13 08:53 PM

Yeah Lee,

The regatta won't discuss an open class for Hobie 20, Inters or others....to much work they say!
Posted By: pitchpoledave

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/07/13 10:22 PM

Buy an ad..
Posted By: Jake

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/07/13 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by pitchpoledave
Buy an ad..

Or offer to do the scoring if they'll take times.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/08/13 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by pitchpoledave
Buy an ad..

Or offer to do the scoring if they'll take times.

well, crap, if it's that easy...

1 1 1 1 1 score 5

done
Posted By: brucat

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/08/13 07:40 PM

And this is why I hate coming here in the winter.

Someone, somewhere is planning an event or building a fleet that doesn't include the brand or model you sail, so you go out of your way to be offended and post this garbage. Way to grow the sport.

I see this as someone picking up where someone else left off (amazing in itself), is promoting cat sailing and trying to build a fleet. These are all good things.

The fact that he's a dealer is a bonus. We need more dealers like this, not fewer.

Mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/08/13 07:56 PM

it is certainly a tough crowd in this forum, and I agree with you, but full and upfront disclosure (especially if you have a vested interest) goes a long way to quell "upsets".
Originally Posted by brucat

Someone, somewhere is planning an event or building a fleet that doesn't include the brand or model you sail, so you go out of your way to be offended and post this garbage. Way to grow the sport.

I see this as someone picking up where someone else left off (amazing in itself), is promoting cat sailing and trying to build a fleet. These are all good things.

The fact that he's a dealer is a bonus. We need more dealers like this, not fewer.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/08/13 08:48 PM

Jeremy would have approached it differently, but even he's pointed out numerous times that no one is getting rich in that game, so I'd cut this guy some slack.

Mike
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/08/13 09:45 PM

Come to the Tradewinds with a Wave or H16, or whatever, as there are a lot of folks from close to that area that might be interested. One of them has 6 Waves alone.
Rick
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 12:22 AM

Someone, somewhere is planning an event or building a fleet that doesn't include the brand or model you sail, so you go out of your way to be offended and post this jgarbage. Way to grow the sport.

Mike

Mike, you now as well as anyone where this hostility is coming from and the fact that the edict was enacted, what is it now 10+ plus years ago and people are still bitter goes to show you don't know the community as well as you think you do. When we see a post like this it reminds us that a coporation is attempting to use its influence to drive the volunteers and NOT be a partner in the growth of the sport we all love regardless of the logo on our sail.

Careful you don't fall off your horse the fall is substantian from that height.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 12:41 AM

Oh, and now we have the full conspiracy theory to blast this into 20 pages of nothing that will move anything forward.

If the F18 fleet wants to promote itself, I don't put up a hissy fit that they aren't getting access for the Waves.

Why can't we just let folks promote their boats and do the same with your own? I know, that would mean we couldn't live in the past anymore, and what fun would that be?

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 01:57 AM

It's real simple....just organize a race that welcomes all catamarans. No hostility there. I do agree, however, a new dealer is a great thing even if it's just one brand. Sorry for the original post. Keep us posted on the race plans and dates. I volunteer to help with races often and don't discriminate on brands (I still love helping out at Hobie events). Do I wish they didn't discriminate? Yes. But life goes on.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 03:20 AM

There are plenty of regattas that are open to all boats. I work at those, and have a lot of fun, too.

But just think about what you're suggesting. At every regatta in the country where any one model of boat is racing, we need to insist on inviting all beach cats. Is that what I'm hearing?

Mike
Posted By: soccerguy83

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 01:41 PM

Mike,

You are stirring the pot that you wanted taken off the stove. That last post is asking this to get bumped up to at least 5 pages accomplishing nothing.

This is coming from a Hobie sailor.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 02:44 PM

Does Hobie have an F16 compliant boat? Or F18 compliant other than Tiger? forgot about the Wildcat

I am of the opinion that any well-run regatta that gets a lot of boats on the water is good for all "brands", as non-beachcat sailors (and some non-sailors) will see a bazillion boats on Charlotte harbor one weekend and say "huh, maybe I should see what the hub-bub is about..."

I'd venture a guess that many of us came from leaner fleets originally, and found out that beachcats were fun through a regatta or some other sailing event where beachcats were around? And we then went on and bought one (or two, or three...)

And it is nice to know that there are still folk willing to put up with the hassle and low margins to be a boat dealer these days.

You build support with a good product, but even better service.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by soccerguy83
Mike,

You are stirring the pot that you wanted taken off the stove. That last post is asking this to get bumped up to at least 5 pages accomplishing nothing.

This is coming from a Hobie sailor.

+1 S.O.P.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 03:05 PM

Brian, I'm not trying to stir anything; but I don't think it's right for these types of posts to go unchallenged. While they may represent true feelings, they are often based on half-truths.

I'm a Hobie guy too, but that has nothing to do with my point. These same arguments can apply to monohull fleets and events.

Why can't Boat A's fleet promote themselves without a sailor from Boat B getting offended? I don't buy the same old arguments, those don't move us forward.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram

Someone, somewhere is planning an event or building a fleet that doesn't include the brand or model you sail, so you go out of your way to be offended and post this jgarbage. Way to grow the sport.

Mike

Mike, you now as well as anyone where this hostility is coming from and the fact that the edict was enacted, what is it now 10+ plus years ago and people are still bitter goes to show you don't know the community as well as you think you do. When we see a post like this it reminds us that a coporation is attempting to use its influence to drive the volunteers and NOT be a partner in the growth of the sport we all love regardless of the logo on our sail.

Careful you don't fall off your horse the fall is substantian from that height.

Come on man! That could NOT have been THAT long ago.
Posted By: tback

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

I am of the opinion that any well-run regatta that gets a lot of boats on the water is good for all "brands", as non-beachcat sailors (and some non-sailors) will see a bazillion boats on Charlotte harbor one weekend and say "huh, maybe I should see what the hub-bub is about..."

The decision by Hobie (corporate) to only support regattas with their BRAND is a business decision.

Sure, they know that it'll alienate others brand boat owners and create animosity amongst supporters and volunteers of various Hobie-Only regatta vs Open regattas.

It's a business decision. They believe this model will promote their brand best and return results back to the corporation.

Of course there are other business owners that feel when the pie grows it grows for all ... and therefore support open regattas for all boats.

It's a business decision. These business owners believe it'll promote their brand (and others) but the pie will be bigger and benefit the community of sailing.
Posted By: Mugrace72

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stuff4Toys
That is so true... we are a Hobie Dealer so we have to place emphasis on the Waves and H-16's of course beach cats & tri's make great race partners.

We have enough Waves scattered around Florida that if you do this, I think we can bring a few. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 03:11 PM

In SWFl access has always been the problem. No beach, no beach cats.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 03:56 PM

Pete, I have to agree.

There are probably only two things needed for a fleet or class to succeed: Places to sail and people to join.

Everything else (racing, fundraising, clinics, etc.) can really only matter if the first two issues are met.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 04:18 PM

Yeah keep having Brand only regattas and shutting out the other boats, and watch it grow. I can see them lined up at your door now.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 04:35 PM

I'm certain all this nonsense would be prevented if someone non-partisan group were hosting the event, but it would appear that no one has stepped up to that challenge so far, so kudos to anyone who does want to set up an event

It's certainly understandable if a business owner were to arrange an event to promote their stuff. It's also understandable that all those excluded from participating would be put off a bit and further polarize our already fractured community of beachcat sailors.

Personally I support anyone willing to host a regatta because it's a huge PITA for very little return.

With this being said (the huge PITA part), why not exponentially improve turnout by inviting as many people as you can? I don't think the PITA factor increases that much more if you invite one particular group or several? Especially if those other groups supply a little help...

Would hosting a Hobie National or Division level event generate the participation needed to make hosting it worth it?

Seems to me that NA's are one of the few regattas that have the kind of critical mass to make it worth the "invitation only" status

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 05:00 PM

Mlcreek, you need to get out more. Go to any one-design monohull regatta and you will see the same thing: some classes are invited, most are not.

Again, why are you holding Hobie fleets to a different standard? Your signature shows that you sail an I-20. Do you give the same grief to the A-cats or F-18s when they promote their OD events and fleets?

Mike

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 05:02 PM

I concur, that as a business owner that wants to promote his product, he is entitled to do so, but does alienates others. However this is not the case with the CHarlotte Harbor Regatta. They simply refuse to have an open class for all, because of purported staffing.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 05:14 PM

Mike,
My anger is pointed more toward Charlotte than the dealer. As stated in my response to Waterbug, clearly they have the right to make that decision, with certain consequences.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 05:46 PM

If I understood the opening comment in this thread, the organizers of the Charlotte Harbor regatta weren't doing it this year? Or was it just the beachcat section?

scratch that. I read it wrong...

MICreek, did they say they needed extra scorers to open up to handicap fleets? Or did they feel there wouldn't be enough turnout to justify any handicap / open fleet?

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 05:49 PM

No, they said they had enough boats and wouldn't consider and or want to run an open fleet.
As in other classes. Allow me to preface this statement based on my experience of last years regatta. I have not been in touch with them this year because of last.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 06:35 PM

It is a shame that someone who is trying to promote growing a local fleet has his thread hijacked, but same story different year/day here at Catzombiesailor.

It's really basic guys. Not sure why this doesn't stick after all these years:

- Hobie Cat builds and sells Hobie Cats.
- Hobie Cat has a World Wide dealer network selling and promoting Hobie Cat.
- Hobie Cat funds the Hobie Class Association to promote Hobie Cat sailing.
- Hobie Class Association is guided by by-laws to promote Hobie Cat sailing and racing, not open class racing.

Sailing in general has been a very tough business and we have had to change with the times to survive. Our formula worked and we are still in the business of building catamarans after all these years. Ok...that is more due to the MirageDrive and kayaks than anything else, but Hobie Cat production is still strong and supported by this diversification in our product line.

I like this analogy... I started watching "The Walking Dead" over the holidays. The zombies try to eat the remaining living people, wreck their supplies... make a loud noise (like promote building a Hobie Fleet at Catsailor) and they are ALL OVER YOU.

It doesn't help the sport... it tears it down further.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 07:06 PM

So the rest of us are Zombies, ......nice.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mmiller
It is a shame that someone who is trying to promote growing a local fleet has his thread hijacked, but same story different year/day here at Catzombiesailor.

It's really basic guys. Not sure why this doesn't stick after all these years:

- Hobie Cat builds and sells Hobie Cats.
- Hobie Cat has a World Wide dealer network selling and promoting Hobie Cat.
- Hobie Cat funds the Hobie Class Association to promote Hobie Cat sailing.
- Hobie Class Association is guided by by-laws to promote Hobie Cat sailing and racing, not open class racing.

Sailing in general has been a very tough business and we have had to change with the times to survive. Our formula worked and we are still in the business of building catamarans after all these years. Ok...that is more due to the MirageDrive and kayaks than anything else, but Hobie Cat production is still strong and supported by this diversification in our product line.

I like this analogy... I started watching "The Walking Dead" over the holidays. The zombies try to eat the remaining living people, wreck their supplies... make a loud noise (like promote building a Hobie Fleet at Catsailor) and they are ALL OVER YOU.

It doesn't help the sport... it tears it down further.

I typically stay out of these fights, but that was poor form!

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 07:34 PM

Not that anyone cares or will change their mind, but I was in the room when the decision was made by the class association.

While Hobie Cat Co. had legitimate business concerns, it was ultimately up to the class to decide. Many fleets and divisions were struggling (losing sailors to non-Hobie boats) and were concerned that the class wasn't following the IHCA or NAHCA bylaws by promoting the open events. Others were afraid that their events would dry up without the non-Hobies. The class leaders ultimately decided to go with the Hobie-only plan.

Hobie Cat Co. recognized that this would not be an easy transition, and now gives the class far more support ($$,$$$) than before the change was made.

Regardless of what you think happened, this is how it really went down. I'm reasonably sure this was also documented in the newsletter at the time.

Having said all of that, it changes nothing. Spend some time at monohull regattas this summer and you should see where I'm coming from. I know the F18 guys (at least in New England) have this perspective and are growing by taking advantage of it.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 07:47 PM

Nice.....from a factory rep, that if we all "other " sailors don't sail Hobies...we are all Zombies....great PR....

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
It is a shame that someone who is trying to promote growing a local fleet has his thread hijacked.

Absolutely, poor form to hijack his thread!

Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
It is a shame that someone who is trying to promote growing a local fleet has his thread hijacked.

Absolutely, poor form to hijack his thread!

If you are going to use my quote as argument, please be sure to include everything it referenced so the true context can be shown!

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 07:58 PM

And you guys show no humor. Pretty funny I think and a great show.

...and your acting like the zombies, so it fits.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 08:01 PM

http://charlotteharborcommunitysailingcenter.com/

Last time I was up there, Dennis Peck was the guy to talk to.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 08:32 PM

it would be nice to build a fleet (Hobie or otherwise) in the Charlotte/Ft. Myers area.

I'm sure the Hobie dealer sells stuff a non-hobie sailor might need (lines, blocks, apparel, a kayak, etc)?

and I venture that just because someone currently doesn't sail a hobie, that they might not consider sailing one in the future... I see a handful of beat-up Prindles down here (not sailing, but still)

But yes, if Hobie NA/world supports their local dealers and wishes they form Hobie-only groups, you can't argue with $ in hand vs. potential $ from non-hobie folks.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 08:36 PM

...and your acting like the zombies, so it fits.

Shawn of the Dead is still the best zombie movie ever smile

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mlcreek
more toward Charlotte than the dealer.

Yeah, I got confused there too, thinking he was the new organizer of the Charlotte Harbor regatta, not just a dealer trying to create a fleet in the area...

Turning the current Charlotte Harbor regatta into a Hobie-only event would be a downer, but I don't believe he was proposing to do that?

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 09:00 PM

Turning the current Charlotte Harbor regatta into a Hobie-only event would be a downer, but I don't believe he was proposing to do that?

The thread title is "Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet"

But the regatta is not Hobie only. From their site:

Sunfish, Precision 15, Laser, 2.4mR, Flying Scot, Hobie 16, Hobie Wave, Weta trimaran, F16 and F18 -- the 2013 CHR will feature for the first time a women's Hobie 16 division

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 09:27 PM

right, but his opening comment referenced the Charlotte regatta, and that threw me off.

Zombies aren't really sharp, so....

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 10:26 PM

Personally, I got a chuckle at the "Zombie" comment. Hobie-edict is like brains around here.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 10:32 PM

damnit, I wasn't going to jump in this again but look....

It was Hobie's / Hobie Class association ball game. They did something with their operation that they thought was worth while. You may not like the reasons, may not have thought it would be successful, and may not think it was for the better of our sport as a whole. I wasn't a fan of it and was pretty public about it, I also didn't think it worked out for them that well. However, whatever you think, it was what it was and they had the right to do it with their organization. If someone wants to step up and help Charlotte Harbor run their regatta and wants to push to open up new fleets to promote their brand, fine.

I do hope, for the sake of the sport as a whole, that they would realize that they probably open up their market a little by being more inclusive and welcoming to all cat sailors - but if they're putting up the effort, it's their game, so be it. More than likely, you, me, we, can offer the same services to the club/regatta and get our way too.

As far as Charlotte Harbor goes, there CAN be too many boats at a regatta. If that's the genuine case, then kudos to them for keeping things manageable and not impacting the event by trying to make it so big that it affects everyone's experience negatively.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/09/13 10:47 PM

Jake, this is spot-on. Except that they already tried the open thing, but it had the opposite effect than you describe. Some will jump in here and say, that was caused by product offerings and dealer support, but that's also beyond our control as sailors, other than voting with our wallets.

Mike
Posted By: srm

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 12:04 AM

It really is pathetic when someone (dealer or otherwise) starts a post about genuinely trying to reinvigorate a fleet and you guys turn it into the same old anti-Hobie pissing match. No wonder the sport is fading away. You guys need to get away from the computer screen and go for a sail or something. Seriously.

Help us re-invigorate a SW Florida Hobie Fleet on beautiful Charlotte Harbor. We had a guy all prepped to do this and now he has gone on to other things.

Charlotte harbor is an excellent venue for Hobie Racing with the Charlotte Harbor Regatta coming up in February.

give me a call at 941-979-9728, let's talk about the possibilities.

John ><>

sm

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 01:25 AM

Jake, this is spot-on. Except that they already tried the open thing, but it had the opposite effect than you describe. Some will jump in here and say, that was caused by product offerings and dealer support, but that's also beyond our control as sailors, other than voting with our wallets.

Mike

The sport was/is in decline for various reasons that we're all dealing with - Hobie's declining cat business had nothing to do with the HCA allowing an open class racing....but, didn't someone just point out that Hobie had nothing to do with the decision - it was HCA?

aaa..I got drug in again. I'm over and out.
Posted By: coralreefer

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 02:39 AM

John, who started this post, I'm hear to help get involved with a Hobie Fleet in SWFlorida.

I live in Fort Myers/Cape Coral, and getting into sailing (not to mention beachcats) has not been easy at all in this area, I can only imagine that starting a Sailing Business in this area is 100 times harder. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

I do think that we have some very viable options for sailing in this area, perhaps some just don't know about it, and the visibility of a local fleet would be a great help. In March it will be only 2 years since I got into sailing, and it has not been easy to either find a spot to launch, AND to find someone to sail with that I can learn from.

The best place I found to launch and sail my Hobie 16 is off the Sanibel Causeway. Other than the $9 toll to get over the bridge, it is actually a very decent option for sailing in the Ft.Myers area, and offers good beach launching options. I typically launch from either side of the causeway island closer to sanibel. If the winds are out of the North or west, then I launch from the north side of the island and sail in the area between the causeway, Picnic island and St. James City. Nice flat water most of the time. Kind of like the bay side in the keys. (aside from the water color).

If the winds are out of the east or the south, then the southern side of the island is better, and I sail in the large area between the causeway, south Ft. Myers beach and the Sanibel Light house.

The only trick to the causeway is to make sure you protect yourself and your boat from the significant amount of large sea shells all over the place. Not a problem since I got a set of beach wheels and some sailing footwear!!

In order to sail with other Hobie sailors I have to drive 2 hours to either St. Pete and sail with the Gulfport Yacht Club folks, or to Ft. Lauderdale beach and sail with the Cat44 guys. Both groups have been very supportive and helpful, and I would like to be part of a group in my area to grow the sport more.

So count me in.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 02:37 PM

If HCA's decision was soooo great, then why did they die off in the Houston/Galveston area? Did that help the Hobie factory much? I'm guessing it didn't. TCDYC was spawned because of it, so I guess that was a good thing. Miller? I'm still shaking my head at your post, I guess because I expected that over on the Hobie forum.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 03:13 PM

seems this guy was willing to partner with other boats from the get-go.. that was before he saw "the writings on the wall"

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TeamChums
If HCA's decision was soooo great, then why did they die off in the Houston/Galveston area? Did that help the Hobie factory much? I'm guessing it didn't.

Simple contraction. Not every area survived the decline of interest in "sailing"... this was not a Hobie-only event as you recall. Now there is no other active class like the HCA... all while Hobie Cat Company has grown to the point we were able to buy out the factory in France and become a World Wide Company once again. Times in the late 80s and early 90s were very lean. Did we make the right decisions on what product to focus on? How to properly market what we had? I'd say our success answers your question.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 04:47 PM

Jake, the company decided that it was done with supporting the class if the class chose to continue with the open events.

The class then chose (wasn't forced, but it was a difficult choice for a lot of reasons) to go back to its roots, and the company has stepped up with tons of support.

These were two separate decisions: one by the business, the other by the class.

Mike
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 06:19 PM

Change occurred. A LONG TIME AGO!!

IMO, the changes were shortsighted and hurt the long term health of the sport but the immediate impact ON THE WATER was ZERO!!

In my area... Area C or Hobie Division 11, the impact was zero.... Mind you... this is a region with a very strong Hobie racing circuit and you would have predicted lots of upset. ... and you would be wrong.

There was NO LOSS of racing opportunities to the OPEN CLASS Sailor OR other Catamaran one design racers (Nacra 20s) at the time. We replaced the Hobie run regattas with other Yacht club regattas eager to have us. The Nacra 20 sailors eventually joined a yacht club with A class sailors and now do their own thing.

When you looked at the national scene for racing opportunities 3 years after Hobie class change, I believe the ONLY region that had issues ON THE WATER was in the Pacific Northwest and the MHA club. The rest of the country saw no practical changes ON THE WATER....(lots of organizations restructured or died off tho)

The diverse sailing scene also died off... In 2013, the number of surviving boats in the dead boat society who could race in OPEN Class is vanishingly small. Now a days.... an open class race draws boats from the big one design classes (who have an adequate racing schedule).

The under appreciated story is (as is usually the case...) about the Benjamins...
The Hobie paper yacht clubs could not afford regatta liability insurance by themselves. Turnouts (even with Open and non hobie sailors) and membership were dropping. The state parks finally got around to requiring a million bucks in coverage or you could not use the park. So... the clubs were forced to unincorporate and then use the Hobie Class Association membership insurance policy to get insurance and keep the events running.

These old facts are the same for a SW Florida Hobie Fleet startup. You will need insurance to use public or private property as a paper club. It's expensive and you don't have enough membership to pay the bill.... SO... you either restrict the opportunity to paid up Hobie class assn members so that you can use their insurance umbrella or you don't have an event.

The bigger question is ... turnout for ANY kind of event... do you have enough interest in the region to make it fly?

The better option would be to partner with an existing yacht club....and run a fun sailing day or a regatta with them. Again.... it will be about the Benjamins.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by srm
It really is pathetic when someone (dealer or otherwise) starts a post about genuinely trying to reinvigorate a fleet and you guys turn it into the same old anti-Hobie pissing match.

sm

I was hoping to join myself, but not having a Hobie, I guess I can't sail with them...

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by srm
It really is pathetic when someone (dealer or otherwise) starts a post about genuinely trying to reinvigorate a fleet and you guys turn it into the same old anti-Hobie pissing match.

sm

I was hoping to join myself, but not having a Hobie, I guess I can't sail with them...

You're really going to lob that softball up there? Ding, I hope your watching...I'm going to bow to age and let you swing at this one. grin
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 08:21 PM

You're really going to lob that softball up there? Ding, I hope your watching...I'm going to bow to age and let you swing at this one. grin

For someone staying out of it, you certainly are trying to stir the pot.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 08:44 PM

Have ya met Jake?

Hobie did what they wanted to. Sh!t wasn't looking to good, they did what they could to help insure the longevity of the corporation. I probably would've done the same exact thing. Its a business, and you do what you can to keep them dolla's rollin' in. [/ghetto]

Was it good for the sport in the long term, probably not. Did it do anything to bolster Hobie Cat's immediate sale's? Marginally probably. Long term though it likely did more damage than good. Doesn't really matter, the times they is a changing and they've gone a different direction with their skill set. Nothing wrong with that either.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/10/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by cyberspeed

For someone staying out of it, you certainly are trying to stir the pot.

That's a completely different pot. I'm giving Ding about another hour.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 03:00 AM

Simple contraction. Not every area survived the decline of interest in "sailing"... this was not a Hobie-only event as you recall

As much as I hate keeping this going, I have to point out that the open letter to HCA (Division 6, I believe) stated that since attendance was on the RISE, they wanted to continue with "business as usual" and keep allowing the "other" brands of cats join the events. I still don't think the taste of sour grapes would have lasted as long as it did if it weren't for some of the hard core H16 racers being as "prejudice" (for lack of a better term) towards the other brands. Just my 2 cents. I, however, am looking forward to the Nationals event that will be in Galveston next October and have volunteered my services and chase boat(s). In the end, boats on the beach is never a bad thing....even if it's only one brand.
Back to the original point; There was no decline in this area. TCDYC has been promoting a "First Saturday of the Month" in the sailing season here and there have been no less that 20 boats showing up each time. I don't think HCA would have had the rise in attendance like this in this area....maybe that's why they quietly organized the event in October.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 06:29 AM

Bingo.

Back to the original point; There was no decline in this area. TCDYC has been promoting a "First Saturday of the Month" in the sailing season here and there have been no less that 20 boats showing up each time.

That is the important point... ON THE WATER... Racing continued .... just under new managment... So... let the hobie edict go.... The three Hobie classes made their deal and took the factory offer!!! The immediate impact was zero. (setting aside the pissed off factor)

The issue is the future... in 2013... we have national F18, A class and Hobie 16 racing classes that are the most active with small surviving classes of dead boats of N20's, TheMightyHobie18's and H17s and who knows about the F16s and N17s... What policies will keep a viable racing scene going and what classes does each policy appeal to?...

How much cooperation is needed between these classes... Can they work together to make for a well attended multiclass cat regatta. Can they work together to build a handicap class for distance races.... How about handicap buoy races to get critical mass?

What structure gives you the best chance to grow participation...

Club racing... with little or no travel?
Regional racing cirucit?? (like the Hobie travel cirucit)
How about a couple of long national championship events that you binge on in a year with little or no club or regional racing on your calender?

LET THE CRAP GO>>>>
in 2013, It's always about critical mass of boats turning out... You cover your costs at reasonable entry fees and the parties and racing has a chance to be good.

What USEFULL advice would you give a group of sailors in SW Florida about revitalizing the sport?

I propose they partner with a Yacht club in the region and make that work for the YC and the cat sailors.

Other suggestions?

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 01:26 PM

Hopefully, he already knows this: the US Sailing One Design Class Council and the Hobie Class Association are two of the best resources for ideas. Matt Bounds would be a good cat sailing contact.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 03:45 PM

You're really going to lob that softball up there?

It's a slow day.... this seems to get the post count up..

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 03:54 PM

The best place I found to launch and sail my Hobie 16 is off the Sanibel Causeway. Other than the $9 toll to get over the bridge, it is actually a very decent option for sailing in the Ft.Myers area, and offers good beach launching options. I typically launch from either side of the causeway island closer to sanibel. If the winds are out of the North or west, then I launch from the north side of the island and sail in the area between the causeway, Picnic island and St. James City. Nice flat water most of the time. Kind of like the bay side in the keys.

I concur, and Pete and I have launched off that causeway once or twice. Lots of space and easy access to that inlet area.

$9 is only slightly higher than the fee they charge to use the boat ramps down in Naples/Marco. You CAN launch on the beach here in a few spots, but you CANNOT park your trailer near the beach, so you're pretty much shot for a day-sail unless you've got ground crew.

As my "Man-O-Pause" strategy is getting me closer to boat-ownership (I suggested to Heir Sweetness that it's either a boat or a sports car and a 20-something babe - to which she responded she now has a pistol and I should consider sleeping outside, but whatever) I figure that Sanibel causeway may be the easiest launch spot within a 45 minute drive.

Now to figure out how to get a trailer hitch for the civic (looks like it's got a capacity of 1000 lbs, or if I can get trailer brakes and a transmission cooler, 1500 lbs) I won't have to buy another car, making the boat that much closer to reality

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 04:05 PM

No overnight parking at Sanibel Causeway. Very nice for a daysail.

The ramp adjacent to the causeway permits trailers overnight for a price but I don't know about launching and retrieval. It is an awfully busy ramp and holding up a whole line of fishermen is not something I'd care to do.

http://www.leeparks.org/facility-info/facility-details.cfm?Project_Num=0062

The causeway beach in question is the spoil island at the top of the picture near the foot of the bridge. I think of it as home.

The panoramic view is very nice. FWIW, as a New Year's resolution I've promised to launch from that beach every time I hear about a blizzard somewhere in snow country. I'll post pictures. Cheers!

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 04:22 PM

What USEFULL advice would you give a group of sailors in SW Florida about revitalizing the sport?

CAVEAT - this would be a non-partisan (not brand specific) club, but I guess it would work with a particular brand, too. None of this is new or rocket-science. The execution is the real challenge

My Advice:
(1) Get the F* out and sail, even if you've got the crappiest boat out there. You don't have to win all the time (and if you feel that need, you're going to have to dole out some serious $$$)
(2) Invite anyone who will agree with #1
(3) Support anyone who does #1 (offer to crew, RC, score, cook, haul, board travelers, etc)
(4) Support your local sailing establishments (YC, but those are HUGELY expensive here - like a $5,000 admission fee + annual $ + monthly minimum + a member must nominate you +...), EVEN if the internet is cheaper (except Catsailor.com, of course smile )
(5) Get youth and families involved with fun events (watermelon grab, skill builder days, etc)
(6) Get off your wallet and join the club. There is no such thing as a cheap hobby anymore (except maybe nose-picking?)
(7) Maybe bring some out-of-town talent once in a while for a seminar or test/tune event. I'd love to see the likes of JC, Robbie, Jamie, or even Rick holding a 2-3 day seminar over here. Crap, even Mr. Bonifait is getting fast enough to teach us a few things...
(8) use the heck out of social media to keep everyone motivated.
(9) offer things for the non-racers - "geo-cache/scavenger hunt" type event. Expedition events,
(10) as a club, offer to assist other sailing groups at their events (like help at an Opti event). Maybe take some of them sailing sometime.

If the Hobie dealer wants to promote his product, maybe host a "demo day" during a scheduled group sail? Bring a Wave, Wildcat, some kayaks and paddleboards, etc.

Regardless of what we sail, we all need apparel and accessories (glasses, sunscreen, hats), so maybe showcase some of that...? I know if I get a boat I'll likely need epoxy/glass - just sayin'...

I was a member of our local paper sail club, even though there were ZERO beachcats, just to support the local effort. Beign boatless, all I did was show up for an occasional meeting.

I'll probably re-up if I remember, but if there were a local beachcat fleet, I'd support them first.

How far is Port Charlotte from Sanibel?

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 04:49 PM

Those are some excellent ideas, Jay!

Here are some things that Hobie Fleet 448 does. This fleet is from RI, and has a large percentage of non-racers (who will never be converted, but always show up and add to the critical mass).

Staff a booth with the dealer at the winter boat shows. Promote all the sailing activities and collect names and contact info.

Have the first event be a "tune-up" day, as early in the season as possible. Partner with your dealer to have a parts truck on site at the beach, or have the event at the dealership. The goal is to get the boats set up (often for the first time of the season) and correct any equipment issues. Sailing on this day is a bonus, not a requirement.

Fun races, short distance races, scavenger hunts, poker runs, island hops, relay races, water balloon fights, and clinics round out the rest.

Partner with a local adult educational program, and host a learn-to-sail day. Most large cities have such organizations, where you can do things like ski, kayak, basket-weave, etc.

Feed people. The fleet has an equipment trailer, at least half of the stuff in there is focused on feeding people (grill, tent, tables, coolers, paper goods, etc.). Post-sailing alcohol is a bonus if your sailing location allows that.

Communicate. Email at a minimum, a short paper newsletter is best (can be passed out on the beach, schedule can be posted on your fridge at home, etc.). Your dealer, West Marine and other places should be willing to post flyers for you, especially if you give them ad space in your newsletter.

Hobie Fleet 204 (Syracuse, NY) has a larger percentage of racers, and their activities tend to reflect that, but they are hugely successful at recruiting newbies. They do many of the things above, as well as:

Newbie Tuesday: Take out new sailors each week on existing members boats, or their own if that applies.

Fleet racing every Thursday, usually swapping crews to cross-train. Newbies are encouraged to attend.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 04:54 PM

Mike, you pretty much described fleet 444 to a T.
www.fleet444.com

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 04:55 PM

A local prindle guy said "Girls on Trampolines", but I don't know how politically correct that would be to alienate 50% of the potential market...
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 05:52 PM

Girls like girls too.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 07:19 PM

Sorry for making this post and then disappearing, I thought I had notifications turned on and never got an email.

A friend and crewmate just stopped by and told me about the uproar I caused on this thread. SORRY. blush

We are interested in seeing All cats and tris on the water here in Charlotte Harbor whether we make money or not. Obviously we AND the sailing public will benefit, especially if we can get all those dead cats out of peoples yards and on the water again.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
In SWFl access has always been the problem. No beach, no beach cats.

Here is a great park for launching boats, either by beach or boat landing. this is the same location where the Charlotte Harbor Regatta will be located.

http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/communityservices/ParkPages/PortCharlotteBeach.asp
Posted By: tback

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 07:23 PM

Crap, even Mr. Bonifait is getting fast enough to teach us a few things...

Ummm .... I think you meant Mrs. Bonifait ...

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 07:31 PM

Good stuff, Karl. None of this is rocket science, we just need to learn from one another. New ideas are always great, but the tried-and-true stuff is also important.

Mike
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 07:49 PM

As the only one that posts here and lives here in Charlotte County, its my turn. A little history first.

I learned to sail from the Charloote County Red Cross back in 1973. The instructor looking at my hair hanging down to my shoulders said, "You should be sailing one of those Hobie Cats". I rented a 14 for an afternoon and I was hooked. In 1976 at age 22, I knew it was better up north and moved back to Northern Indiana. I soon saved enough for the down payment and had enough savings for a share loan from the credit union and was the proud owner of a new 1977 16'Hobie Cat. We sailed small lakes in the area the first year and then found Lake Street Beach in Gary and Hobie Fleet 126 in Michigan City. I was single and working with enough time to hit our club races, Division 10 and several Midwinters East inFlorida.

After getting laid off again in 1985, I moved back to Punta Gorda, expecting a simiar sailing scene.

WRONG!

There was seldom another beach cat on Chalotte Harbor. I sailed a few races with a fleet in Fort Myers. I probably met Pete. Then I got promoted at Radio Shack working 6-10's (according to the district manager my sole purpose in life was to increase sales and profits for the Tandy Corporation). The 1984 white sailed Hobie 16 got parked. I left the Shack and worked 9-5 M-F, but adopted a pair of sisters aged 1 & 2. The Hobie stayed parked for another 10 years until I felt the girls were big enough to safely sail on it. We still seldom saw another beach cat on Charlotte Harbor.

The oldest daughter and I raced a few times, JPOR and Dunedan, but she discovered boys and Dad wasn't as much fun.

Now the Hobie gets sailed for fun a few times a year and I crew on a Stiletto in the local club races.

Many times I have followed people towing cats to stop and talk, I'd give them one of my business cards and write Hobie on it for them and then never hear back. I followed on fellow with "Hobie" on his license plate. He didn't know Sailing from Shinola, that was his name.

I just came back from talking to Stuff4Toys. He just was added to the crew on the Stiletto. He is also the new Race Captain for the Punta Gorda Sailing Club.

After the Charlotte Harbor Regatta and the Conquistador Cup we are going to plan a get together at Port Charlotte Beach. He is now renting Waves there. The local paper will give us some publicity. We may or may not draw a crowd.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mlcreek
I concur, that as a business owner that wants to promote his product, he is entitled to do so, but does alienates others. However this is not the case with the CHarlotte Harbor Regatta. They simply refuse to have an open class for all, because of purported staffing.

BUT (and everyone has a but) Charlotte Harbor Regatta will open a fleet for any boat that can come up with 4-6 boats or more.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:12 PM

right, but his opening comment referenced the Charlotte regatta, and that threw me off.

Zombies aren't really sharp, so....

I figured the regatta would stir up local interest in cat sailing, that's why I figured it would be a good kick off for a beach cat fleet.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:14 PM

I may be wrong but the Charlotte Harbor Regatta is a 1 design love fest. I doubt that either a Portsmouth or PHRF class was ever contemplated.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:18 PM

Sorry for making this post and then disappearing, I thought I had notifications turned on and never got an email.

A friend and crewmate just stopped by and told me about the uproar I caused on this thread. SORRY. blush

We are interested in seeing All cats and tris on the water here in Charlotte Harbor whether we make money or not. Obviously we AND the sailing public will benefit, especially if we can get all those dead cats out of peoples yards and on the water again.

As redundant as this conversation has been - at least this board got some activity lately! So a "thank you" is in order!

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by jkkartz1
I may be wrong but the Charlotte Harbor Regatta is a 1 design love fest. I doubt that either a Portsmouth or PHRF class was ever contemplated.

Yes you could call it a one design love fest.

We are also a WindRider dealer, when I approached CHR staff with the idea of a WindRider 17 fleet, they said GREAT get 6 boats and we will include you too.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tback
Crap, even Mr. Bonifait is getting fast enough to teach us a few things...

Ummm .... I think you meant Mrs. Bonifait ...

No, I meant Mr. Bonifait smile

TABLE 5 RULES

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:34 PM

maybe some reciprocals:

Get your group to consider a trip to Sanibel once or twice, and up to Sarasota... Maybe they'll feel the love and visit you occasionally..?

Those distances aren't too far, and who knows, it could blossom into some regional series?

I see a handful of H-16s parked on the beach in Naples, and what appears to be two or three rental groups (clusters of H-16s and waves in dubious condition), and I did see some sort of Kayak/trimaran launch off the beach but I couldn't catch it to find out who it was...

There are probably 1/2 dozen people I've met in town who have a boat sitting in their yard (prindles, H-16, one guy has a N6.0) but I don't know what it would take to get them on the water ... I'll have to go look them up again.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 08:38 PM

maybe some reciprocals:

Get your group to consider a trip to Sanibel once or twice, and up to Sarasota... Maybe they'll feel the love and visit you occasionally..?

I did the Buzzelli in my WindRider 17 last fall, GREAT venue, GREAT bunch of guys and gals.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 09:05 PM

maybe some reciprocals:

Those distances aren't too far, and who knows, it could blossom into some regional series?

I see a handful of H-16s parked on the beach in Naples, and what appears to be two or three rental groups (clusters of H-16s and waves in dubious condition), and I did see some sort of Kayak/trimaran launch off the beach but I couldn't catch it to find out who it was...

There are probably 1/2 dozen people I've met in town who have a boat sitting in their yard (prindles, H-16, one guy has a N6.0) but I don't know what it would take to get them on the water ... I'll have to go look them up again.

I have Gulf beach launch access at Englewood Beach from May to December. Invitation only.

No group yet. I'm still lonely here in Paradise.

Stop and knock on their door. Maybe you could buy the 6.0 for cheap.

My brother used to pull a Hobie 16 with a Fiat Strada. Your Honda will do better that that Fix It Again Tony mobile.

I've tried to convince our prior Race Captain that we need a Tour De Charlotte Harbor distance race. Just like the Mug Race, Run What Ya Brung. No luck yet.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/11/13 09:27 PM

I have a few feelers out for a singlehander.

Pete's got the GPS track for a 'round Sanibel course, although it does get a little skinny on the back side.

No reason a Charlotte Harbor circuit or Charlotte Harbor/Sanibel & back distance thing couldn't be worked out if there were any interest.

The Gulf Coast Sail Club and some of the big Yacht Clubs do have some regattas that they MIGHT let us in if we had a large enough contingent (and paid a hefty entry fee, I'm sure)

I guess the point is there is no shortage of things the fleet you propose COULD do, but it's really up to the creativity and effort of the fleet members.

How about hide a small keg of rum somewhere and leave clues along the route? Winner has to pour shots for all finishers. Loser has to take the trash back with them.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/13/13 01:27 AM

I have a few feelers out for a singlehander.

Pete's got the GPS track for a 'round Sanibel course, although it does get a little skinny on the back side.

No reason a Charlotte Harbor circuit or Charlotte Harbor/Sanibel & back distance thing couldn't be worked out if there were any interest.

The Gulf Coast Sail Club and some of the big Yacht Clubs do have some regattas that they MIGHT let us in if we had a large enough contingent (and paid a hefty entry fee, I'm sure)

I guess the point is there is no shortage of things the fleet you propose COULD do, but it's really up to the creativity and effort of the fleet members.

How about hide a small keg of rum somewhere and leave clues along the route? Winner has to pour shots for all finishers. Loser has to take the trash back with them.
cool
Posted By: ADDICTION

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/13/13 06:43 PM

Any 18's out there? Count me as one, three more and they will give us a start!

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/14/13 03:33 PM

I am late to this one......what did I miss?

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/14/13 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ADDICTION
Any 18's out there? Count me as one, three more and they will give us a start!

Probably too late for this year.

Guessing that 5 boats makes a class.

Get your buddies up for a winter Florida trip.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/15/13 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by xanderwess
I am late to this one......what did I miss?

Nothing. We're moving on in the new thread...

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet - 01/15/13 02:08 AM

Oh good. Sounded like the same old shiznit for a minute there.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums