Catsailor.com

Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils?

Posted By: Tony_F18

Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 01:58 PM

Anyone seen this viral video of this stuff that you treat a surface with make it hydrophobic?
What would the effect be when you would treat your foils with this, or even the whole boat?

Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 02:04 PM

Just saw that recently. Looks interesting, although I'd be curious how you would get it off of something...

The water behaves similar to a highly waxed or oiled surface, so I would suspect that it might be worth trying on a hull. Not sure about a foil (for fear of increased cavitation)?
Posted By: bacho

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 02:41 PM

Pretty cool but pricey. My concern would be being able to ever remove it for repairs.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 03:17 PM

Interesting. First use that comes to mind is an undercoating on vehicles.

Walls on a hog barn would be sweet for washing too.

I wonder how long it lasts? In a chute with cement? I'm guessing not very long.
Posted By: pgp

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 03:21 PM

Wouldn't it disrupt laminar flow?
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 03:25 PM

Interesting uses for the stuff.., say sunglasses while sailing to keep from spotting. Gloves and spray suit to keep dry.
Since it started water beading immediately, from what I have heard, it may not be good for a hull. One theory is you don't want the water to bead.
Rick
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 03:37 PM

I could probably run a couple quick tests in the towing tank to see if it reduces drag on a hull. Not sure the difference in force will be of great enough magnitude to differentiate from the noise.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 04:10 PM

It would probably make the boat float higher since it repels water! wink

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 04:15 PM

but seriously, though, I'm wondering about it's epoxy mold release properties and how smooth the surface is if sprayed.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 06:32 PM

I wonder if its slippery? It'd be kinda cool if your tramp and lines could stay dry.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 07:31 PM

Repels water? Perfect! Apply to sails, and away with workaday capsizes.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
I wonder if its slippery? It'd be kinda cool if your tramp and lines could stay dry.

If that's your problem, Tad's got a number of solutions:

sunscreen
bananas
McLube Sailcoat

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 08:26 PM

I meant without making the surfaces slippery. There has to be some advantage of not carrying around the extra weight of water for no reason.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/18/13 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
I meant without making the surfaces slippery. There has to be some advantage of not carrying around the extra weight of water for no reason.

That was my thought, using it above the water line to shed water quickly.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/19/13 12:03 PM

another use would be on the sail where the telltales are located. When they get wet the often will stick and you are back to reading the luff like the old days of yore.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/19/13 01:23 PM

Good call Rick. I wonder if Rain-X would even work for that?

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/19/13 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by RickWhite
another use would be on the sail where the telltales are located. When they get wet the often will stick and you are back to reading the luff like the old days of yore.

great point, although I wonder if both surfaces (sail and telltale) are coated, would the water bead up between the two and hold it together similar to what it does untreated?
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/19/13 05:16 PM

Came across this article which talks about a potential performance gain of 8%, but by the looks of it not worth the hassle! (good read though)
http://forum.sailingscuttlebutt.com/DISCUSSION_C6/Dock_Talk_F5/Hull_coatings_P8414/

I think it could be useful to treat the tramp and snufferbag, also because it has UV protection built in.
Might even be useful to spray the inside of the hulls with as well smile

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 02/19/13 09:58 PM

I got distracted... "Will the Riblets return?" sounded like barbeque....

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/10/13 12:44 PM

I was in Home Depot today and saw a product that looked very similar. It was rust oleum never-wet. Seemed to have many of the same demonstrations and a similar color. It was $18 for 2 spray cans.
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/10/13 01:12 PM

If nothing to the coating,
HOW DOES THE COATING STICK TO SURFACES???

I often wonder how any non-stick is applied.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/10/13 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bacho
I was in Home Depot today and saw a product that looked very similar. It was rust oleum never-wet. Seemed to have many of the same demonstrations and a similar color. It was $18 for 2 spray cans.

Rustoleum bought the rights to the stuff.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/10/13 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by bacho

Rustoleum bought the rights to the stuff.

Interesting, I may pick a pack up to experiment with.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/10/13 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by David Parker
If nothing to the coating,
HOW DOES THE COATING STICK TO SURFACES???

I often wonder how any non-stick is applied.

Most non-stick coatings (nylon, teflon, etc.) are a powder coating/heat treating process.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/10/13 09:21 PM

if you apply a hydrophobic substance on foils, would that allow air to cause cavitation more quickly?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/11/13 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
if you apply a hydrophobic substance on foils, would that allow air to cause cavitation more quickly?

Air doesn't "cause" cavitation.

Cavitation results when the local pressure on the foil surface gets below the water vapor pressure and bubbles of water vapor form and explosively collapse - which is a real problem on propellers (the force can erode stainless steel). On catamaran foils - not so much, if ever.

What most people think of as "cavitation" is actually ventilation - the local foil pressure drops below the surface air pressure and draws air down from the free surface. And since air is 1000 times less dense than water, the foil loses it's lift.

A hydrophobic coating is probably going to promote the ventilation process, since the surface tension will create a natural crevice for the air to bleed down the foil. Wetting agents would have the opposite effect.

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/11/13 04:09 PM

my apologies... you are correct. I was referring to ventilation rather than cavitation
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/11/13 04:11 PM

my apologies... you are correct. I was referring to ventilation rather than cavitation

SCHOOL'D!

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/11/13 04:16 PM

oh, like that's never happened to me before? smile

Every day I walk through the door I get school'd about SOMETHING...

until my evil master plan gets off the ground, that is....
Posted By: Will_R

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 09/16/13 07:28 PM

Yup, you WANT water to stick to your hull and foils, but not just b/c of cavitation.
Posted By: ULTRA EVER DRY

Re: Ultra Ever Dry? Effect on foils? - 10/12/16 06:50 AM

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ULTRA EVER DRY wink
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums