Catsailor.com

A Cat Mainsheet System

Posted By: gdaddy182

A Cat Mainsheet System - 03/17/13 12:07 AM

I have recently purchased a home made A Cat in the Tampa area. Due to the homemade nature of this boat I have no idea how the mainsheet runs and how it is attached to the center of the trapoline. Any help would be great!
Posted By: lesburn1

Re: A Cat Mainsheet System - 03/17/13 12:51 AM

pictures would help
Posted By: bacho

Re: A Cat Mainsheet System - 03/17/13 01:56 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Angelo190471

Re: A Cat Mainsheet System - 03/17/13 02:33 AM

He needs help with center sheeting
Posted By: fredsmith

Re: A Cat Mainsheet System - 03/17/13 01:29 PM

Go to Sailing Anarchy under Multihulls find the thread on A Class mainsheet systems lots of good info.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: A Cat Mainsheet System - 03/18/13 12:16 PM

Looks like you have an old Harken (or other) mainsheet blocks. Exactly how it is reveed depends on how many sheeves it has ... (rollers)... go to the Harken website and find an example of your blocks (5:1, 0r 6:1) and see how they are run.

I would suggest you get the seller to help you rig the boat 1 time if possible. Take notes and pictures.

Originally Posted by gdaddy182
I have recently purchased a home made A Cat in the Tampa area. Due to the homemade nature of this boat I have no idea how the mainsheet runs and how it is attached to the center of the trapoline. Any help would be great!
Posted By: Jake

Re: A Cat Mainsheet System - 03/18/13 02:20 PM

On a trampoline sheeted main, you normally have a purchase system at the back of the boom to the traveler (8:1, 9:1 or similar). The sheet line goes from one of the top blocks forward to a block in the middle of the boom. It then goes down to a block mounted on the trampoline and you sheet from there.

Personally, I don't like the trampoline mounted block. I think it makes the mainsheet spongy and reduces feedback. I had a trampoline mounted sheet but I removed the trampoline hardware and reconfigured the boom so the ratchet block was at the middle of the boom. I like it there much better.

Keep in mind, you need a substantial boom to support center sheeting.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums