Catsailor.com

Whoa

Posted By: ccat

Whoa - 07/01/13 09:16 PM

Time to change your blades...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUawmyYnvOw
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Whoa - 07/01/13 09:36 PM

The batteries in my eye are low ... does the NACRA 20 C have wingtips on the rudders?
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 05:58 PM

HOT!
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 06:02 PM

Oh damnit now thats cool.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 06:14 PM

Will this technology reach the weekend warrior?...or should I say "when". It's neat but I have to admit that I'm not overly excited about doing it.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
It's neat but I have to admit that I'm not overly excited about doing it.

Christ, I'm ready to sell the Viper and a kidney. I get a little tingle in my private parts watching that video, (which I'm up to five today).

Its only a matter of time in my opinion, this stuff is going to eventually reach the average hack. Doesn't appear that the boards are any different, just the rudders?

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger

Christ, I'm ready to sell the Viper and a kidney. I get a little tingle in my private parts watching that video, (which I'm up to five today).

Its only a matter of time in my opinion, this stuff is going to eventually reach the average hack. Doesn't appear that the boards are any different, just the rudders?

No...that's custom everything including the daggerboard trunks to allow adjustment.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 09:09 PM

No...that's custom everything including the daggerboard trunks to allow adjustment.

Really?

I was told that all that was needed to make it fly were rudder elevators. Everything else could remain the same.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 10:19 PM

It seems like a waste to chop up a carbon 20 to build these boats. I think some one should start building a (modular) boat to make changes easier or with less wasted money cutting away the factory stuff.

Re: Whoa - 07/02/13 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided

Really?

I was told that all that was needed to make it fly were rudder elevators. Everything else could remain the same.

I'm betting that's a bit of a stretch...Not only are they compound curved daggerboards in that video but the trunks have also been moved forward (they're right behind the front beam presumably to help balance out the boat when on foils).
Posted By: PTP

Re: Whoa - 07/03/13 01:05 AM

seems like things have gotten expensive enough without that stuff to complicate matters. I wonder how much footage they had to take to get that 40 seconds.
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: Whoa - 07/03/13 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Undecided

For team Oracle, yes. For an F20C, I'm not so sure.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: Whoa - 07/03/13 05:19 PM

I'd guess it takes some skill as well, so average hack? Not likely.

One of the things that made the TriFoiler "recreational" is the foils were self tending. No input required to change the pitch. This is going to be twitchy and for the average sailor... I could see some catastrophic pitchpoles doing 30 plus!
Posted By: Bille

Re: Whoa - 07/07/13 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by mmiller

One of the things that made the TriFoiler "recreational" is the foils were self tending.

"Wish" i could get my hands on one of those
old TriFoiler's ; looked like a BLAST !!

Bille
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums