Catsailor.com

2013 F18 Worlds

Posted By: Reiss

2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 04:38 PM

We just talked to USA team Taylor Reiss and Matthew Whitehead. First day of racing at the 2013 F18 Worlds has concluded. They only got one race off today due to weather. Taylor and Matthew got a fourth today. There are 183 teams registered in the event. Not sure how the other USA team finished. So far, there is no place on the event website where results are posted, but hoping that will change.
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 05:24 PM

Thanks for the update. Go USA!

-Mike
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 05:58 PM

We had one race today about 14:30, which was when the sea breeze came in and sailing conditions where pretty much perfect.
Then some thunder showers came through and the RC sent us back to shore for the day.

Was NOT expecting rain in Tuscany, thought I left that at home wink

Not sure what to expect tomorrow, start times are variable.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 06:23 PM

If anyone finds where results are posted, please share the link on this thread. Thanks!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 07:04 PM

Results are on the (offline) notice board.
Posted By: samc99us

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 07:36 PM

Results are very confusing, posted here, have Taylor and Matthew in 13th: http://www.compagniadellavelagrosseto.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/PROVISIONAL_RESULTS.pdf

Looks like they are running 4 fleets to weed out the top.
Other U.S team is in 99th place. Shame more of our sailors aren't there but it doesn't sound like any of the charter options were very viable, and showing up at World's on an unknown to you design is pretty risky.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 07:40 PM

How's Matthew's knee doing? Looks like he caught the beam bolt in an unfriendly method? Tough spot to stitch too. SUPERGLUE!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 09:29 PM

Photo?? At least the Italian water is cleaner than NY harbor....or one can hope!
Posted By: brucat

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/08/13 11:43 PM

One race, finished 4th, scored 13th combined? Must be the new math...

Just kidding. With all of the ties, it actually is scored correctly and makes perfect sense. There are 12 teams with fewer points (and they are tied for 13th).

Of course, who can explain the 4th reported here vs. the 7th on the official results?

Other interesting things: one race, two DSQs and a redress...

Mike
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 12:53 PM

Looks like they split the fleet into four groups and are running two flights, just like in Long Beach last year. Likely an inner and outer trapezoid course- good fun. Some updates can be found on twitter @f18worlds2013, @f18worlds2014, @catsailingnews

some updates on facebook as well:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/F18-...00533926623510?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

Looks like Steve Stroebel and Matt Morris on USA 70 had a nice second race . Wish I was there!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 01:15 PM

According to Facebook Taylor and Matt 5th in Race 2

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 01:29 PM

Fleet is currently getting ready for race three, breeze is up to 15 knts
Posted By: John Williams

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 05:41 PM

USA in 9th and 59th at the end of day 2.
Posted By: tzilinski

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 06:36 PM

Interesting that Tigers won both heats of race 2 but both DNC'ed the other other two races today. Do you think they were stock Tiger's or modified with the Wildcat foils?

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 06:40 PM

Scored a 15th place in the first race today so not too unhappy about that, with some luck we will make gold fleet tomorrow (currently 79th).
Had to get of the water early again today due to squalls.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 08:55 PM

Here is a link to the results after day 2:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B65JmcSKEFEJMmFWVGxUc2pTVHc/edit?pli=1

Stroebel and Morris had a great day and have moved up big time.

We had incorrect info about Taylor and Matthew's finish in the first race on day 1 -- they were 7, not 4. After day 2, they are in 9th overall.

@Karl - yes, Matthew has a huge gash on his knee from stuffing the bow on a training day. It has got to be killing him, but he is obviously one tough kid and hasn't let it slow him down.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/09/13 10:56 PM

Wow, that is just an insanely tight top 10. Three carrying OCS and one a BFD, anything could happen...

Mike

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by tzilinski
Interesting that Tigers won both heats of race 2 but both DNC'ed the other other two races today. Do you think they were stock Tiger's or modified with the Wildcat foils?

My guess is that is a mistake in the scoring. Hugh Styles and Richard Mason on a Phantom won one flight, a C2 won the other flight.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 01:37 AM

Phantom, Cirrus, Infusion, and C2 in the top ten. Great for the class!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 01:42 AM

We need trackers...

Mike

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 12:22 PM

Results after day two:
http://www.compagniadellavelagrosseto.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/09_07_PROVISIONAL.pdf

No real surprises in the front- lots of very good teams. Taylor and Matt sitting in 10th, which is a very string effort! Should be two more races today before they make the gold/silver split. Things get much harder after the fleet split- no room for even the smallest mistakes!

Mischa and Bastian received redress for their race one DSQ and take the overall regatta lead. Could we see an A-cat and F18 world title in the same year?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 01:04 PM

Well since JC isn't there, I have to root for my buddy Mischa and Bastian. I hope his baby goats (which are probably no longer babies) are doing ok :P

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 01:39 PM

What's the story behind the DSQ and redress?

Mike

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 01:50 PM

Finish boat wasn't anchored very well, and the motor was running. The DSQ was for Mischa hitting the committee boat, but he got redress once the RC admitted the committee boat may have hit Mischa, instead.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 01:57 PM

Yuck... How do you get a DSQ for hitting a mark without a hearing?

Mike

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 02:12 PM

I'm rooting hard for Mischa and Bastiaan as well. They've been trying for years to take the crown. I assume they are running Mischa sails on the Cirrus R?

If Taylor and Matt won that would be cool too, cheers to the home team!!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 02:33 PM

Photo of Mischa and Bastiaan
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...7.500533926623510&type=1&theater

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 02:56 PM

Per Facebook, qualifiers are over, splits will be done after protests are heard.

Fixing to get ready for Gold/Silver fleet racing...

Mike

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/10/13 04:56 PM

Would still like to know how to get a DSQ without a hearing, at a Worlds, presumably with an IRO and IJ, for hitting a mark. If there was a hearing, what was the grounds for a redress hearing? We must be missing a key part of the story.

Mike
Posted By: Mamaloe

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/11/13 03:07 AM

First hearing was on a protest by another team against Mischa/Bastiaan for contact with the finish boat. Second hearing was on a protest by M/B against the RC for the finish boat hitting them.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/11/13 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mamaloe
First hearing was on a protest by another team against Mischa/Bastiaan for contact with the finish boat. Second hearing was on a protest by M/B against the RC for the finish boat hitting them.

Thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but it is very odd to me that this took two hearings from an IJ to sort out. The mark boat should have been called as a witness during the first hearing, before a decision was ever made.

Of course, anything can and does happen in the room...

Mike

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/11/13 04:53 PM

3rd day race results here: http://www.compagniadellavelagrosseto.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/10_PROVISIONAL.pdf

Matt and Taylor in first, Matt and Steve in 61st so both make the Gold fleet (split starts at 81 IIRC). Good luck to the boys in Red White and Blue!
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/11/13 11:23 PM

Funny how times change... The F18 class now publishes a scoresheet that lists the boat builder..... What fun is that.... the guessing game of what each team was sailing was so entertaining.

Go Team USA!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 04:55 AM

Kringle is going to be pissed when he sees they are listing the Capricorn 2 from PSA as an AHPC Capricorn. I understand the logic and history behind the name but it really is muddy from a marketing point of view.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Kringle is going to be pissed when he sees they are listing the Capricorn 2 from PSA as an AHPC Capricorn. I understand the logic and history behind the name but it really is muddy from a marketing point of view.

Kringle is on a Windrush Edge.
We had no boats to send to the event as all available boats shipped to customers including the factory boats. He chose to sell his personal boat to a interested buyer to keep them happy and began building a new boat for himself. This caused him to miss the shipping deadline to make the worlds with his boat.
The Edge was there and the original team that chartered it backed out. He picked up the charter probably to get out of the Australian winter.
His new boat is on the way here for the Americas Championship with one other demo 2013 for that event. He plans on leaving both boats here in the U.S. for a discount after the event.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 06:05 AM

That makes the results even less acurate with regards to boat types. Its a shame Brett hasn't been able to get more traction with the Windrush Edge I haven't sailed one but he's a very skilled builder and got some good results with it out of the box.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Funny how times change... The F18 class now publishes a scoresheet that lists the boat builder..... What fun is that.... the guessing game of what each team was sailing was so entertaining.

Go Team USA!

Mark you're sooo hung up on this and the whole one-design thing it really isn't funny. All 5 of the major manufacturers are in the top 10. This is really great for the class. I don't see any downsides. Pick the boat that you like best for whatever reason and get on the water.

Us, we've come about face on the Infusion, simply because it is fast and easy to drive. Will be talking to the other guys at North Americans and hopefully getting some on the water time on the C2 and Falcon down there with a 2nd boat to spar against. Frankly it'll be tough to get off the Infusion train for another year or 2 (need a real tow vehicle), but also because we'll have hull covers, beam covers, and mast covers sized to fit the platform. Traveling internationally gets expensive if you care about your boat.
Posted By: Jake

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by samc99us
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Go Team USA!

Mark you're sooo hung up on this and the whole one-design thing it really isn't funny. All 5 of the major manufacturers are in the top 10. This is really great for the class. I don't see any downsides. Pick the boat that you like best for whatever reason and get on the water.

Us, we've come about face on the Infusion, simply because it is fast and easy to drive. Will be talking to the other guys at North Americans and hopefully getting some on the water time on the C2 and Falcon down there with a 2nd boat to spar against. Frankly it'll be tough to get off the Infusion train for another year or 2 (need a real tow vehicle), but also because we'll have hull covers, beam covers, and mast covers sized to fit the platform. Traveling internationally gets expensive if you care about your boat.

In Mark's defense (did I just say that?) he's referring to the time when the F18 class vehemently refused, and prohibited, listing of boat manufacturer or any other specific information about the sailor's platform in any official F18 results. I guess they softened on that based on how the A-cats handle that same information. Back in the day, I agreed with not listing the boat stuff as I would have thought it would be a negative thing taking away from the sailors - but it's really not. I do suppose that when there were significant differences between boats, it probably made sense to keep that information out of the results to provide a little protection to other manufacturers to keep their market a little more lively and sustainable.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 01:58 PM

Tough first day in the Gold fleet saw Taylor and Matt drop to 23rd yesterday. Hopefully they can have a good last day and hold on to the youth world title (currently second youth).

Very, very tight at the top of the fleet with Billy Besson leading. Martin Vanzulli will be updating the top 5 on his blog throughout the day.
http://www.catsailingnews.com/
Posted By: coralreefer

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 02:36 PM

Speaking of boats and rooting for the USA, is boat GER292 sailing a Falcon F18?

If so, i'm rooting for them to have a good result as well, as their on a "Made in the USA" boat.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 02:47 PM

To add to what Jake said, that was a NAF-18 policy that was suggested by IF18CA. We (the NAF-18 volunteers) tried hard to keep that policy, but as Mark alludes, it was an on-line guessing game as to who was sailing what for big events...

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 04:23 PM

And it's all over!

1. Besson/Lagarrigue (Infusion)
2. Styles/Mason (Phantom)
3. Booth/Booth (Infusion)

Still waiting on full final results

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 05:27 PM

Congrats to Taylor and Matt - Youth World Champs!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 05:41 PM

Congrats to Taylor and Matt, where are the provisional results?

Sounds like Mischa had some bad luck this week with the broken main halyard and the bfd. Shame but that is a ridiculously tough fleet!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 07:48 PM

Ah Jake.... sucks to be old and remember the ancient history that young pups have no idea about. (grin)

If you are going to drop 15K (at that time) on a boat..) you absolutely were going to find out what boat was doing well and who was paying the drivers (or not). It never made sense to me to hide the info.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/12/13 08:03 PM

Surprisingly Mark I'm not that young...I remember every F18 Nationals result NOT having boat names, Hobie winning a lot because they had paid drivers and a faster design. Didn't concern me at the time since I didn't have $15K for a brand new Tiger...which today looks like a bargain. Cost is definitely exceeding inflation.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/13/13 03:06 PM

From the three Worlds I have been to this was probably the best one, certainly from a sailing point of view.
Most days we would start around 1pm in light air which would then build to about 15+ kts.

There was quite a lot of damage though, one Infusion hull was so badly damaged that the local fibreglass gurus didn't even bother.
The rest where mostly various nose jobs, daggerboard cases etc.
I think this location will be a hard one to match.

IMHO all the designs are quite equal overall and I don't think one specific design stands out performance wise.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/13/13 04:12 PM

Very cool

So, the F18 sailors are focused on Racing.... The class rules look like they stable and people behaved themselves within the rules.

Is there any buzz among the sailors that the next thing for them personally is a flying foiled catamran.... (the need for speed thing.... the next challenge... or a 5 year itch disease)

Or is the boat entertaining enough and what you really want is numbers on the line and good competition.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/13/13 05:56 PM

This topic, Mark, is discussed at length every time non-F18 sailors get together. For the F18 people, it is a pretty short conversation - flying F18s are cool, but not a threat to the class. Toying with a foiling F18 is fun, but why try with a 400-pound boat?

F18 is healthy and sustainable with good competition among builders and sailors.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/14/13 12:15 AM

Well said John. If I was in the market for something other than a Wave or Hobie 16 (I have very young kids I want to race with), the F18 would definitely be my choice.

Mike

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/18/13 08:10 AM

Does anyone have experience sailing at the 2014 venue, Bangor-Nothern Ireland?

I have been watching windguru and so far this month winds have been pretty terrible:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Baltic

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/21/13 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by coralreefer
Speaking of boats and rooting for the USA, is boat GER292 sailing a Falcon F18?

If so, i'm rooting for them to have a good result as well, as their on a "Made in the USA" boat.

Yes, it's Arne Gosche and Michael Walther from Kiel, Germany. I've heard that they hit a floating object with major damage to the boat - thus the unsatisfying result.
Posted By: Dermot

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/21/13 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Does anyone have experience sailing at the 2014 venue, Bangor-Nothern Ireland?

I have been watching windguru and so far this month winds have been pretty terrible:
[Linked Image]

I have sailed cats at Ballyholme many times in the past 20 years, usually good winds - great "Craic". Ireland has had a very uncharacteristic heatwave for the past month, with high pressure and light winds. Irish Sailing Clubs have very good reputation for organising memorable sailing events - on and off the course.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 04:22 PM

USA Teams, lets start organizing a container for Ireland! Get with Taylor Reiss or Matthew Whitehead if you have any interest in going. If we can get a full container, the cost would be reasonable for all. Here is hoping for a good turn out of USA teams for 2014!

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 04:30 PM

The only problem with a container is that the Worlds are July 5-11, meaning we lose our boats for almost the entire summer season. It's a hard sell.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 04:45 PM

PM sent Reiss.

Jeff, I understand the excuse but it's a poor one. The real question is when do the boats get back from Ireland? If they return mid-August that works fine for me. July and August are notoriously hot, humid and lacking breeze in Annapolis. Ireland sounds much more pleasant.

We have good sailing April through early June and then September-November. So we would loose a month of training on the F18, which sucks but most everyone else is in that same situation. The question for us is do we do Catacup again if we're invited back or do we go to Ireland? First world problems...

Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 05:09 PM

Minimally it would be 2 weeks on each end but I could easily see it Week to two for freight, roughly a week for clearing customs. We should probably give it 3 weeks on the lead end. That means we would miss three regattas including Hyannis. Yes Annapolis sucks but that is a month to a month and a half during our 5 month sailing season. And June and July are some of our prime sailing. I know by June I'm itching to do some warm sailing since May can be hit or miss.
Plus loading and unloading a container is at least one day off work each time, quite a bit of physical work, and a pain in the butt.
Rough guess is a container would be 6-9K each way? (f we get 5 teams that's still $2,400 a team right? Unless my guessing is totally off. I don't know if anyone has priced it out latley but last September to ship a container from CA to FL was around 8K but that was via truck which is quite a bit more expensive than sea freight.
I think what I'm getting at is I'd much rather charter but of course they have to be available!
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail7

I think what I'm getting at is I'd much rather charter but of course they have to be available!

With what you say, a charter makes perfect sense for those who don't want to "lose" their boats for the season. Do dealers have the ability to carry 4-5 boats each model year for charters in their region?

I would suspect dealers can't tie up that kind of capital, but I guess they could get residual value upon selling when they buy the new model year. And charter parties would know they're getting excellent boats rigged up right....? Might solve some of the insurance issues as well...

5 boats @ $20k USD/boat = $100k

5 charters per year x 5 boats x $2500 per charter = $62,500 annual

Maintenance, delivery & Expense ($3,000) x 5 boats = $15,000

Residual value ($12,500) x 5 boats = $62,500

So:

Revenue - expenses =

(Charter revenue + Residual value) - (Purchase + Maintenance)

($62,500 + $62,500) - ($100,000 + $15,000) = $10,000 net

I guess the next questions are:
- are there 5 "charter-worthy" events in that region
- is $2,500 USD a reasonable price-point for a charter (new, race-ready, delivered to the regatta site)

It all looks so easy on the inner-net...

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 05:35 PM

PM sent Reiss.

Jeff, I understand the excuse but it's a poor one. The real question is when do the boats get back from Ireland? If they return mid-August that works fine for me. July and August are notoriously hot, humid and lacking breeze in Annapolis. Ireland sounds much more pleasant.

We have good sailing April through early June and then September-November. So we would loose a month of training on the F18, which sucks but most everyone else is in that same situation. The question for us is do we do Catacup again if we're invited back or do we go to Ireland? First world problems...

I guess a lot depends where you are in the country. Assuming three weeks on either side of the event, that is most of June, all of July, and maybe part of August. That is the primary season for New England.

Now I am not completely opposed to the idea, especially after the amount of time I put in trying to find a charter for Italy. I certainly consider myself in the interested category, but to lose so much sailing the price needs to be right.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 05:43 PM

FYI: Round Texel 2014 is just one week before the Worlds smile

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 05:51 PM

Todd and Jay thanks for laying out the pricing. Todd I'm with you if the charters are available and the price is reasonable that is the way to go.

Tony how does one get a boat from Texel to Northern Ireland? It looks like A LOT of hassle with at least 2 ferry crossing involved. Is a container being sent from Texel to Ireland??

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 05:53 PM

In an ideal world I would buy a new boat, sail the Dutch Open, then Texel, then Worlds. After those events, I would either sell the boat or ship it home. The initial outlay of capitol is tough though.
Posted By: Jake

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 06:05 PM

$10k is not much for all of that work...and there probably isn't anywhere with more than 2 events to charter per year in any area. so you will need to ship boats all over the place and the events with that much draw are few..maybe 2 per year. So, it takes me two years to recoup my investment and now the boats are dated and not desirable. I don't see it working.

The model that has been in place ~somewhat~ is to provide new boats for charter and then sell them at the event or shortly thereafter. I'm still not sure that works out very well.

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 06:10 PM

Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/F18-Worlds-Ireland-2014-July-5th-11th/129356957270760

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 06:37 PM

I doubt there will be a container from Holland to Ireland.
It's only about 5-6 hours pure driving, not counting time spent on ferries.
The ferries are also the biggest hurdle since the fares in the middle of summer are not that cheap.

Dermot: what do you think is the most economical/convenient way to get to Ireland?

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
$10k is not much for all of that work...

Agreed, and if I were a dealer or manufacturer, I wouldn't look to this venture as a profit center.

More of a marketing share with the vision of getting more of my boats out there to market at a "reasonable" price for those who can't afford my boats fresh out of the mold. I'm sure that the concept of "Brand Loyalty" is still alive and well, even in formula/box-rule classes (performance metrics being equal, of course)

What could you assign to the marketing value of someone saying "Yes, I'll have 4 boats for charter at X, Y, and Z events"? Heck, some regatta organizers may wish to work out a side-deal to ensure sailors have options if they can't get their boat to an event.

Say the dealer takes delivery at one event (NA's), gets them to another two (worlds if in USA, possibly Alter) and maybe one or two marquee events (a steeplechase, Juana's, GT-300, RTI, for example) there MAY be interest in chartering a whole season by one team, or at least bidders for charter at each event.

I've done the math once or twice, and given the fuel/maintenance, hassle, and logistics of dragging my boat around the country individually, I suspect a well-developed plan by a dealer/distributor might capitalize on some economy of scale, a good market presence, more sailors out there sailing, and possibly not lose money in the process.

I'm sure "Dealer days" with test sails didn't sell too many boats off the bat, but it sure got people out of the woodwork. I view this as a similar strategy.

Which may be the reason why I'm not a dealer? smile

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 07:09 PM

Dermot: what do you think is the most economical/convenient way to get to Ireland?

Sail, of course! It's only 130 miles of North Sea action. How hard can that be smile

(yes, I am joking)

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 08:13 PM

The ferries are also the biggest hurdle since the fares in the middle of summer are not that cheap.

Hmm I must be missing something. Google has this as a 16 hour trip. Even if you're spending 6 hours on ferries...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=holl...HtUfOJHbjH4APBnoHIBw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/22/13 09:38 PM

Hmm I must be missing something. Google has this as a 16 hour trip. Even if you're spending 6 hours on ferries...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=holl...HtUfOJHbjH4APBnoHIBw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Google Maps takes you through the Tunnel, and Dublin instead of Belfast, which involves a bit more driving, but might not be such a bad option.

In my route you would only have to drive from Harwich to Liverpool (430km) and the rest would be ferries (Rotterdam, Belfast).
https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=H...mp;doflg=ptk&mra=luc&t=m&z=8

There are like a dozen different options, googling a bit I also saw this one which goes through Scotland and you only drive 3,5h:
[Linked Image]

Re: 2013 F18 Worlds - 07/23/13 12:31 AM

No matter which route, it will take about 16 hours. As Tony says you can save on driving time if you get the Harwich and then Liverpool to Belfast (or Larne)ferries. I'm afraid that the Holyhead - Dublin ferry is one of the most expensive ferry crossings per mile in the world, especially towing a trailer. The ferry companies usually give discount for sporting events, but it is high season. I am sure that Barry, on the facebook site will have worked out a lot of answers already. Ask the questions. I am sure that he has already been in contact with the ferry companies.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums