Catsailor.com

mainsheet line?

Posted By: brokenrinker

mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 01:29 AM

I just put a Sta-set 1/2 mainsheet on my hobie21. I'm not happy with it. It wont run through the blocks easily and it's slippery. It's the same diameter athe old line.Any suggestions? What's a good choice for amainsheet?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 01:45 AM

New England Ropes - Salsa brand.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 01:50 AM

Robline Fuzzy sh*t.

http://www.catsailor.com/store/pc/ROBLINE-RACING-SHEET-ROPE-LINE-CORDAGE-7mm-243p32070.htm
Posted By: AzCat

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 02:06 AM

Years ago when I first got I to the sport, I tried the stay set, only because it was readily available at the blue box. Stayset has no redeeming qualities. none. I didn't know what I was missing till I got a new boat and tried the Robline Racing Sheet. Awesome line! Great in the cleats, great In the hand, doesn't t knot up on the tramp, runs around the blocks straight, wears great. Get it, use it, don't look back!

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 02:57 AM

It looks like the largest dia Robline comes in is 8mm. Is that large enough for gripping comfortably?
Posted By: catman

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by brokenrinker
I just put a Sta-set 1/2 mainsheet on my hobie21. I'm not happy with it. It wont run through the blocks easily and it's slippery. It's the same diameter athe old line.Any suggestions? What's a good choice for amainsheet?

!/2" is too big. 3/8 or 9mm is right. All line is going to be slippery out of the box. Salsa is good for the money but you really can't use it anywhere else like for the jib because it's mostly white with a different color tracer. The Robline racing sheet does come in 9mm. I like the Maffioli Swiftcord. The colors are nicer and it's a bit cheaper than Racing Sheet.
Posted By: bacho

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 12:28 PM

I have a big 1/2" salsa spin sheet. I really like it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 01:01 PM

robline racing sheet - 8 mm
want to get fancy ... taper the end
Posted By: ccat

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 08:27 PM

We use this 7/16 in a ratchamatic 8:1 0n a C Class, nice on the hands and runs out instantly;

http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/maswli.html
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 08:54 PM

Salsa is awesome. It is Dyneema, non stretch, with no core, thereby allowing it run quickly through blocks, easy on the hands, won't kink or knot and is the least expensive sheet line on the market.
Here is the Link:
http://www.catsailor.com/store/pc/N...6mm-8mm-9-5mm-Red-or-Green-243p15783.htm

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/15/13 10:16 PM

It appears that the committee is pretty equally divided between Salsa and Robline with one strong argument for Maswli. While I'm deciding can I interest anyone in about 65ft of red sta-set?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/16/13 02:15 PM

I have both robline and salsa on my cat
robline feels softer and nicer, salsa has a slight plastic feel to it.

the main drawback to salsa (as Catman mentioned) is it's colors are limited and you don't want multiple lines onboard with the same color/ look (see images for the 2 choices) ... to easy to confuse them
[Linked Image]

It appears that the committee is pretty equally divided between Salsa and Robline with one strong argument for Maswli. While I'm deciding can I interest anyone in about 65ft of red sta-set?
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/16/13 02:18 PM

Did you throw it in the washing machine with some detergent? I had some slippery line that got a little better when I washed it..
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/16/13 02:36 PM

I use 5/16" Samson Trophy Braid for my mainsheet. It's an inexpensive polyester double-braid with a fuzzy cover that is soft and easy to grip. It's stretchier than the dyneema blend lines, but I don't think that matters. A hand-tensioned sheet simply doesn't take enough load to show significant elastic elongation.

The biggest downside to Trophy Braid is that (being polyester) it absorbs water. So, when fully wet, it might add (probably less than) a pound to the weight of the boat. For me, that's not a big deal.
Posted By: catman

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/16/13 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Isotope42
I use 5/16" Samson Trophy Braid for my mainsheet. It's an inexpensive polyester double-braid with a fuzzy cover that is soft and easy to grip. It's stretchier than the dyneema blend lines, but I don't think that matters. A hand-tensioned sheet simply doesn't take enough load to show significant elastic elongation.

The biggest downside to Trophy Braid is that (being polyester) it absorbs water. So, when fully wet, it might add (probably less than) a pound to the weight of the boat. For me, that's not a big deal.

The weight of Double Poly also makes it easier for my crew to throw the line out of the cleat. Less messed up tacks.

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/16/13 03:10 PM

Thanks for the tip on the machine washing. The thing is, the lack of grip is one problem the unwillingness of the line to run through blocks is probably a bigger deal. Capsizing a H21 is a pain. The enthusiasm for Salsa is intriguing but frankly I'm not feeling real warm and fuzzy towards New England Rope right now since that's who makes my Sta-set. 65 ft of line represents a significant amount for my meager sailing budget. I just can't afford to experiment too much with different line.
Posted By: Sloansailing

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/17/13 02:41 PM

Well Robline and NER are owned by the same company so feel warm and fuzzy about whoever you want! Sta Set is fine for what it is, which is a cheap double braid. Use Racing Sheet PRO and taper it where it runs through the blocks, you will be very satisfied. Or, if you can't splice, call a rigger who can do it for you smile
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: mainsheet line? - 07/17/13 03:24 PM

Salsa really is the answer and NE makes a lot of variety of line for all purposes. However,
Here is the link for Robline sheet
http://www.catsailor.com/store/pc/s...amp;pageStyle=H&incSale=&IDSale=
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums