Catsailor.com

Sailing harness for a 6 year old

Posted By: flumpmaster

Sailing harness for a 6 year old - 08/25/13 01:46 AM

I took my daughter out for her first ride on a catamaran today. She had a blast. The next step is to get her out on the wire. Where can I get a harness for a 6 year old? - or do I have to make one?

Chris.
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Sailing harness for a 6 year old - 08/25/13 11:18 PM

G'day Chris I got an old nappy style harness then just folded the bottom strap and stitched it to length then did the same with the back and it was good to go, easy enough to change later if you want.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Sailing harness for a 6 year old - 08/28/13 01:45 PM

Maybe a women's small windsurf harness?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Sailing harness for a 6 year old - 08/28/13 02:18 PM

Murray's and/or Satly Dog Marine used to make a kid's half harness. I had one for my daughter when she first started at about that age.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Sailing harness for a 6 year old - 08/30/13 02:48 PM

Zhik, Ronstan, and DaKineall make XS Womens harnesses. They are usually on the bargain table or you have to order them.

The problem I found is the size chart for harnesses only goes down to 56 inches tall and 80 lb. You can make them fit a smaller person if you fabricate a smaller spreader bar. I have done that on the beach using an old style "wide" harness hook as a spreader bar.

All that said, the best I have seen for a kid was a scaled down version of a Hobie Lace-up. I have also seen a second set of grommets installed on the adult version to make them fit kids
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Sailing harness for a 6 year old - 09/03/13 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JeffS
G'day Chris I got an old nappy style harness then just folded the bottom strap and stitched it to length then did the same with the back and it was good to go, easy enough to change later if you want.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll see if I can locate one of those old school rainbow hobie harnesses!

Chris.
Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: Sailing harness for a 6 year old - 09/10/13 05:23 PM

This might work:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49208
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums