Catsailor.com

rules

Posted By: pgp

rules - 10/01/13 09:27 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=428269893943566&set=o.75693743113&type=1&theater
Posted By: mbounds

Re: rules - 10/01/13 11:57 AM

Facts Found:
Both boats on port tack.

IRL 158 close hauled, to windward of boat heading downwind with spinnaker up (can't read sail number - call it BWS). BWS must keep clear (rule 11)

There was contact between the boats causing damage and/or injury (rule 14).

Conclusions:
BWS did not keep clear of IRL 158, thus breaking rule 11.

There was contact causing damage and/or injury, so both boats broke rule 14

Unlikely IRL 158 would be exonerated under rule 14(b) since there was damage/injury, but that would depend on testimony as to what avoiding action she took (doesn't look like she took any from the photo).

Decision:
DSQ BWS
DSQ IRL 158
Posted By: hobiephil

Re: rules - 10/01/13 02:16 PM

I don't know Matt. To me, it looks like the boat flying the chute was on starboard (look at the position of the whisker pole), which would make him the ROW vessel.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: rules - 10/01/13 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by hobiephil
I don't know Matt. To me, it looks like the boat flying the chute was on starboard (look at the position of the whisker pole), which would make him the ROW vessel.

Spinnaker pole is on the port side - making that the windward side = port tack. The boom is on the starboard side = port tack. If you blow the photo up, you can see the spin sheet crossing the front of the mast - so there wasn't an accidental jibe during the collision (it's hard to tell if the pole is pinned to the forestay or just sticking out to port).

The downwind boat is on port tack.
Posted By: Jake

Re: rules - 10/01/13 03:28 PM

agreed. Spin boat was on port. Pole goes to windward (which I learned the hard way).
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums