Catsailor.com

polaroid xs80..anybody have one?

Posted By: carl2

polaroid xs80..anybody have one? - 12/05/13 04:09 PM

anybody try one of these cameras?
http://www.polaroidstore.com/produc...ports-action-video-camera-with-mount.htm
Posted By: Jake

Re: polaroid xs80..anybody have one? - 12/05/13 04:25 PM

the Hero and Contour products have really taken over the market. I would be afraid to deviate from either one of them and having used both, I can vouch that they both are really good products. Garmin just came out with a GPS enabled camera that looks pretty cool.

I also wouldn't really trust the "waterproof" nature of a camera like that without a waterproof case. It may be fine for floating around in the water but firehose spray from the bow of a catamaran is a different situation.
Posted By: carl2

Re: polaroid xs80..anybody have one? - 12/05/13 04:49 PM

this one..?..trying to keep price point low..
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-white-edition

one thing I dont care for is the ultra wide angle..I've seen it on my buddies rc plane 3d flying vids & really dont like the fish eye ..is fish eye look something different than ultra wide angle?
Posted By: bacho

Re: polaroid xs80..anybody have one? - 12/05/13 05:46 PM

Jake showed me the contour some last year. I think I like it better than the go-pro cameras, if I remember correctly it had a Bluetooth control and viewing function.

I've been very frustrated with my go-pros not doing exactly what I think they were doing. I think I have the Hero2, I'm not sure about the hero3 but my cameras are lacking in their user-friendliness (in my opinion)
Posted By: Jake

Re: polaroid xs80..anybody have one? - 12/05/13 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by bacho
Jake showed me the contour some last year. I think I like it better than the go-pro cameras, if I remember correctly it had a Bluetooth control and viewing function.

I've been very frustrated with my go-pros not doing exactly what I think they were doing. I think I have the Hero2, I'm not sure about the hero3 but my cameras are lacking in their user-friendliness (in my opinion)

The contour is a much easier and user friendly camera to use - by far. However, the Hero video is a little better...the Hero has better frame rate options and the color is deeper...the Hero is also a little better in low light situations.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: polaroid xs80..anybody have one? - 12/06/13 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
However, the Hero video is a little better...the Hero has better frame rate options and the color is deeper...the Hero is also a little better in low light situations.

And that's what you want.... to be able to clearly see the face of your crew going around the forestay. And read their lips as they spew profanities your way.

On the other hand, since the placement of cameras can be somewhat haphazard, viewers are relegated to analyzing your bald spot while the boat sails, or getting up close and personal with your spin pole

What I found most revealatory in my own helmet mounted camera use is how often I kept my head "in the boat" (staring at sail, etc)... which could explain my mid-fleet status.

Posted By: catman

Re: polaroid xs80..anybody have one? - 12/06/13 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

And that's what you want.... to be able to clearly see the face of your crew going around the forestay. And read their lips as they spew profanities your way.

In slow motion, 1080. grin
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums