Catsailor.com

Hiking stick repair?

Posted By: davefarmer

Hiking stick repair? - 12/09/13 12:32 AM

Kenny has an Arriba FX 4 hiking stick I'd like to buy from him, but he's just discovered that the stop that keeps the two sections from separating is no longer functioning. Any advice? Neither of us has experience with this repair. Thanks!

Dave
Posted By: catman

Re: Hiking stick repair? - 12/09/13 04:39 PM

The stop is a stainless pin. If you look at the inner tube on the end that goes inside you should see a hole about 3/16". You can use a clevis a little longer, cut off the head and round the ends a bit. It should just fit in the outer tube. Also the pin floats and is not glued in any way.

Two ways to do the next step. At the yoke end there is a collar with two roll pins. Remove the pins, slide the collar off, take the handle off the outer tube, slide the inner tube all the way in. If the pin is long enough it should stop. Replace collar and handle. Those roll pins tend to corrode to the aluminum and need to be drilled out which can be difficult. So the other way is to simply shove the pin end of the inner tube through the locking collar at the end of the outer tube.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Hiking stick repair? - 12/09/13 07:08 PM

Excellent! Thanks Catman!

Dave
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Hiking stick repair? - 12/09/13 07:50 PM

I had to do a repair on one over the summer and couldn't get the collar off without risking significant damage. Ended up drilling a small access hole for the pin to drop in/out.

I rotated it a bit beyond normal when drilling/lining it up so not likely to line up during normal use and then taped over it. Not quite as nice as driving out the pins in the sleeve, but it's worked rather nicely thus far with no issues.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums