Catsailor.com

Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend?

Posted By: mikekrantz

Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/22/14 04:14 PM

Stop by the Zhik booth and say Hi for some free swag

-Mike
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/22/14 06:17 PM

No Chicago for me. How about Miami? Missed ya in Islamorada.
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/22/14 08:46 PM

We'll have a booth at Miami
Hated to miss islamorada, but had to work
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 12:09 AM

I am going Thursday from Toledo. Besides just seeing what's new in general, I need to replace my toasted VHF radio from doing the Lauderdale to Key West race last week on Cheeky and also want to check out new drysuits. I will look for you and any advice you have; can't go wrong talking with Mike!
Posted By: barbshort

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 01:53 AM

See you at the Miami Boat Show, Mike! Chip and I are working the Com-Pac booth. Bring some good show specials. I wanna go shopping....
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 02:17 AM

You doing Minneapolis Mike?
Posted By: brucat

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Fahle
...I need to replace my toasted VHF radio...

Two words: Standard Horizon

Best customer service I have ever experienced, for any product, in my life. The radios are great too.

Mike
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Two words: Standard Horizon

Best customer service I have ever experienced, for any product, in my life. The radios are great too.

That has not been my experience with them.

The transmit performance of my SH radio is significantly worse than my Uniden - even though it's supposed to have an extra watt of power (6W vs 5W).

Standard Horizon also doesn't answer their e-mail. I send an inquiry re: a replacement belt clip a month ago. Nada.

Meanwhile, my Uniden is a tank - it won't float, but I can abuse the crap out of it and it just keeps on going. It came with two batteries and a dual charger. I did drop it on volume/squelch knob once and bent it (still worked fine) - sent it in and they fixed it / returned it in two weeks, flat rate ($56) repair.
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 06:57 PM

My experience mirrors Matts, though I've been fortunate enough to avoid the shop. We have a Uniden MHS75 purchased in May, 2013 and have put easily 50+ days of use on it and probably over 1000 miles, most of it in salt water. No issues at all. I keep it in an Aquapac waterproof pouch (scored several on ebay for $20 a few years ago), which is nice but I've used it without the case and just give it a freshwater rinse afterwards. Works like the day I bought, battery charge lasts >24 hours and it was <$100 shipped.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 07:10 PM

Oh, there's a boat show a hour south of me this weekend?

Oh well
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Any Chicago cat sailors doing the boat show this weekend? - 01/23/14 10:05 PM

I've had really good luck with 3com. The others are catching up though. I'll second that Uniden is getting close.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums