Catsailor.com

3d carbon fiber printer

Posted By: Anonymous

3d carbon fiber printer - 01/29/14 07:29 PM

A Boston startup has introduced the first 3D printer capable of printing in carbon fiber, the super-strong and lightweight material used in race cars and space shuttles. After a year of stealth development, the Mark One printer from Mark Forged was unveiled at the SolidWorks 3D-printing expo this week and is expected to retail for just $5,000.

The desktop printer is also capable of printing in fiberglass, nylon, and the thermoplastic PLA, as well as a composite of these materials with layers of carbon fiber added for strength. Mark Forged says it will be useful in building stronger prototypes as well as "prosthetics, custom bones, tools, and fixtures."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5357186/new-3d-printer-can-print-in-carbon-fiber http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5357186/new-3d-printer-can-print-in-carbon-fiber

[Linked Image]
Posted By: zander

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/29/14 11:18 PM

Pretty sweet, there was also a company that was getting funded on kickstarter that had developed PLA with carbon fiber reinforcement that was compatible with current 3D Printers.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/30/14 02:36 PM

Wake Forest University and a private firm(Organovo) have developed a 3D printer that creates organs and tissue. Your next heart may come from a printer.....

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/30/14 02:49 PM

I saw that.
Amazing!

Soon I can print a new eyeball if I poke this one out, and print up a new cf rudder as needed.

I need to $ave up

Time Lapse Video Of A Machine Print Out A Human Ear In Less Than A Minute

Originally Posted by dave mosley
Wake Forest University and a private firm(Organovo) have developed a 3D printer that creates organs and tissue. Your next heart may come from a printer.....
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/30/14 02:56 PM

One thing alot of people are doing are buying a 3D printer, than printing themselves the parts to a new one, reassembling it, then selling one the printers. Voila, a free 3D printer!
A co-workers brother did this a year or so ago, I think the printer was around ~$10K

On the Organ printer thing, the military has been doing this with skin for a couple of years on veterans with wounds.

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/30/14 03:03 PM

How do you get the 3d cad data? can a printer also scan in 3d?
also what about the electronics? where do they come from?

Originally Posted by dave mosley
One thing alot of people are doing are buying a 3D printer, than printing themselves the parts to a new one, reassembling it, then selling one the printers. Voila, a free 3D printer!
Posted By: samc99us

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/30/14 04:18 PM

Yeah, it doesn't really work like that. A few of the parts (idlers, pulleys, spacers) can be printed, but even those are cheaper to buy than to print, and the quality of an injection molded plastic part is still superior to most anything coming off a <$10K 3D printer. You still need the linear guide rails ($$ = better quality = better prints), motion systems and electronics. You can probably build yourself a makerbot style printer for under $1000, and its not too hard, but it is labor intensive to get every aligned to sub 1/32" precision.

I have a makerbot here at the office, when printing PLA it is pretty nice for a $2K machine. We've easily saved that on some parts we've printed vs. manufactured in the conventional way. A printer that can do carbon for $5k and match the strength of aluminum, I'll take two! I do expect the material to be expensive (much worse than buying ink) and the build envelope is small, but for certain prototype parts we CNC machine, this would be a time and cost savings.

I don't expect this to be very useful on our boats, given the limited print area and relatively high price of materials. I am intrigued by the manufacturing possibilities of the technology, and it may become viable for Nacra/Goodall etc. to utilize this in their shops for certain components.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/30/14 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by samc99us
Yeah, it doesn't really work like that. A few of the parts (idlers, pulleys, spacers) can be printed, but even those are cheaper to buy than to print, and the quality of an injection molded plastic part is still superior to most anything coming off a <$10K 3D printer. You still need the linear guide rails ($$ = better quality = better prints), motion systems and electronics. You can probably build yourself a makerbot style printer for under $1000, and its not too hard, but it is labor intensive to get every aligned to sub 1/32" precision.

I have a makerbot here at the office, when printing PLA it is pretty nice for a $2K machine. We've easily saved that on some parts we've printed vs. manufactured in the conventional way. A printer that can do carbon for $5k and match the strength of aluminum, I'll take two! I do expect the material to be expensive (much worse than buying ink) and the build envelope is small, but for certain prototype parts we CNC machine, this would be a time and cost savings.

I don't expect this to be very useful on our boats, given the limited print area and relatively high price of materials. I am intrigued by the manufacturing possibilities of the technology, and it may become viable for Nacra/Goodall etc. to utilize this in their shops for certain components.

I thought you worked at Burger King.

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/31/14 02:19 PM

nuh huhhh!
does too!

Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/31/14 06:42 PM

I don't expect this to be very useful on our boats, given the limited print area and relatively high price of materials.

Dang, there goes my idea of using nano-printer-bots to instantly repair hull/spar/sail damage while you sail...
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/31/14 09:08 PM

Isnt this really the first carbon fibre printer?
IMHO this machine is as close to art as a machine can get:
Posted By: pgp

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 01/31/14 09:10 PM

I humbly disagree, I think it just gets better from here on out.
Posted By: Bille

Re: 3d carbon fiber printer - 02/02/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Isnt this really the first carbon fibre printer?

NO
That was just a Weaving machine for Biaxial Sleeves ; they
make sleevs with several types of composite materials.

A 3-D printer, actually assembles that same matrix with
the binder already added ; and do that in the shape you
desire !

Bille
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums