Catsailor.com

[Prindle 19] Holes in mast

Posted By: Ameland

[Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 02/17/14 11:49 AM

Hi all,

After a few years of sailing with friends, I bought my own catamaran. This cat is not used in recent years, and needs some maintenance before the season starts.

There are two holes at the base of the mast (7 and 8 mm) that I thought where missing rivets however, I cannot find rivets in that size can someone tell me what belongs in this holes or how I can fix this?

Also, there are two bolts from the rear beam bent I've already looked at Murrays but I'm not sure which one i need. i need the countersunks bolts and the normal bolts are these deliverid complete? so including nylon spacer washer and nut?

thanks
Posted By: Dazz

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 02/17/14 12:09 PM

Those holes sound like your mast rotation spanner, is it missing by any chance?

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 02/17/14 12:20 PM

No i don't think so it is realy at the base below the gooseneck in the middle of the mast I'm not sure wich side.
Posted By: Jake

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 02/17/14 03:45 PM

some photos will really help us help.

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 02/17/14 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
some photos will really help us help.

I Will make some photos this weekend.
Posted By: Hullflyer1

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 02/18/14 12:03 PM

It sounds like the holes are located where the original small cheek blocks were for the down haul, which I believe was a 5 to 1. Most sailors upgraded this original system
Posted By: John McKnight

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 02/18/14 09:13 PM

I used a product called JB Weld to patch some holes in my mast. The patches are holding up just fine. You should be able to find JB Weld at Home Depot in the glue section.

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 03/02/14 03:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 03/02/14 03:00 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 03/02/14 03:37 PM

Aluminum rivet with 3m 5200 or sikaflex around it and over the hole in the center of the rivet should do fine.

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 03/04/14 06:08 PM

I can ' t fint rivet in That size the hoes arena to big for 6 mm rivets ..
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 03/05/14 02:54 PM

It looks like a block, maybe a jib downhaul went there?

YOu could also just silicone a large threaded screw into the holes. Doesn't look to be a structural issue, from those pics anyways.

The P19 is a nice boat.
Posted By: Andinista

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 03/06/14 01:32 AM

I don't think anything bad will happen if you live it like that, it's more an aesthetic repair to me. Maybe just use that duct tape on the picture.. The only way to fill the mast with water from that hole is if you turtle, but that is not supposed to happen. And if it happens most likely there will be water inside already.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: [Prindle 19] Holes in mast - 03/06/14 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ameland
I can ' t fint rivet in That size the hoes arena to big for 6 mm rivets ..

Forego the rivet and just use 5200. All you really need to do is seal the mast.DO NOT put a stainless steel bolt or rivet in the hole just to fill it. Stainless will cause galvanic reaction and you don't need the strength of stainless for anything in that repair.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums