Catsailor.com

Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic...

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 12:57 AM

Picture of the front of my house, March 5th, 2014.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 01:03 AM

Weather is not climate.

Globally, January was the fourth-warmest on record.

But my house looks like that, too. We haven't seen the ground since December 15, and aren't likely to for another few weeks. Piles at the end of the driveway are still over my head.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 01:16 AM

Well thanks Matt, and you lefty's prefer to use the term 'Climate Change'. Global warming my a$$. The temp fluctuates, it has even before man burned fossil fuels, hell, before man even existed!

Maybe you could verify this one for me,
The great lakes have had more ice on them than in 30+years,
it's the coldest temp winters in the Midwest in over 30+ years,
and globally, the planet hasn't warmed in at least 15years.

?

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by mbounds
Weather is not climate.

Globally, January was the fourth-warmest on record.

But my house looks like that, too. We haven't seen the ground since December 15, and aren't likely to for another few weeks. Piles at the end of the driveway are still over my head.

The fourth warmest on record? Where, globally? Not around here it wasnsn't.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 01:40 AM

And Matt,

It is my assumption that you were in fact a liberal, basing it solely on the conversatin I was at in Racine WI last year, when you were explaining politics to that Canadian woman, and saying Karl was right a conservative, etc.
I was laughing inside, thinking that although it's not a competition, Karl is to the left of me!

If I assumed this wrong, my apologies,

If not, I'll pray for the USA, and you too.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 02:19 AM

Ooo! Ooo! This is fun.

Here's some very real evidence that the amount of snow you experience at your house might not be the most scientific way to measure global temperature. This file shows very clearly how the surface temperatures have been increasing in our industrial age. NASA animated MP4 File

Also note that increasing temperatures lead to shifting climate patterns and instability in between...so yeah, you might get some bouts of colder than normal between the slightly warmer than normal stuff.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 03:12 AM

Todd - Here is one source (there are many others) for the "January 2014 4th warmest on record" statement - http://www.businessinsider.com/january-global-record-temps-2014-2

While I was in Australia in January/February, the news was all about the heat wave in South Australia - temps in Adelaide were in the high 40°C range (that's way over 100°F). Meanwhile in Detroit, they were getting slammed with more snow and cold. Like I said, weather (local, short term) is not climate (global, long term). And until you recognize the difference, you'll never understand that local extremes (both hot and cold) are a result of a warming climate.

Yes, the ice cover on the great lakes hasn't been like this since 1979 - but that's not that unusual. Last year was completely the opposite. Humans have very short memories when compared to climatic and geologic time. Climate change (whether man-made or not) tends to happen over time periods greater than one person's lifetime.

But you are woefully ignorant if you think the world has not heated up in the last 15 years:
[Linked Image]

I don't wear politics or religion on my shirtsleeves (I prefer to think of myself as a scientific method agnostic, if you must know), and while I appreciate the gesture, I don't need you to pray for me - but go right ahead if it makes you feel better.
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 04:18 AM

For What It's Worth

http://news.yahoo.com/antarctica-storm-photo-180230536.html

I began instructing middle schoolers in "Environmental Studies" shortly after Yvon Chouinard had his work on rising sea levels published in Surfer magazine (1985). We began comparing his claims with current events and became more alarmed between 1986 and 2008.

While I was in Miami, there was an ice storm on the Gulf Coast. We have NEVER had an ice storm in sixty-five years along the coast, but we have had our share of tropical lows. The Aussie 18s are going off in Sydney Harbor in unusual weather...
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 06:40 AM

Winter has been very mild in Europe, in fact it's the mildest one recorded so far.
This weekend we will see temperatures of 19 Celsius, which is unheard of at this time of year (not that I'm complaining!).

Although this article is about Scandinavia, I think it counts for northern Europe as a whole :
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jan/10/polar-vortex-us-mild-weather-scandinavia
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 11:21 AM

Jesus facking Christ. Not this again.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 11:23 AM

That looks like a horrible place to live to me, climate change or not.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 02:39 PM

Todd continues to prove he's a Climate Buffoon.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 03:14 PM

Really Todd, don't buy this stock.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 03:34 PM

Jesus facking Christ. Not this again.

You took the words right out of my mouth...no pun intended.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 03:39 PM

http://www.gocomics.com/shoe#.UxiWWIX5CrU
Posted By: Bille

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 05:55 PM

I don't know about your part of the country, but here
in Las Vegas last January it was near 70-F for a Lot
of the month , (it's usually in the 50's-F).

Still too Cold for me to go sailing, so i kinda don't
get the point of this Thread ? Some Nut-case, posts a
picture of snow in his front yard, and everyone wants
to fight over it ??

Some of you need to get laid ; ladies
are cheap here in Vegas, so do our economy some good and
Come get a Blow-job !! HeHe...

Bille

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by RickWhite

That cartoon is so true.

I was pointing out that overall we are having the coldest/longest winter in over 30 yeares around here.

And, the climate has changed drastically, the most drastic however was before man and before the industrial age.

Do I think the climate changes? Yes.
Do I think there needs to be some regulation as far as industrial polutants a large factory produces? Have you been to PROC lately?

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bille

to fight over it ??

Bille

So I'm the nutcase?
The photo wasn't menat to spark any debate whatsoever. I was pointing out we are having a colder, more snowfall winter this year, and the 4 winters I've been here, usually there is little if any snow on the ground by the date of that picture.

Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 06:40 PM

yeah, I'm having trouble shoveling all this sunshine off my driveway. It's rough.

Light air sailing Saturday. Gonna fly the screecher and see what happens.

By the way, what is the difference (or not) between:

Code 0
Code 1
Screecher
Hooter
Studdingsail
Chupacabra
Spanker
Skysail
Moonraker
Womper

(I think I know the last few)
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Todd_Sails

The photo wasn't menat to spark any debate whatsoever.

Oh come on Todd, the title of the post is "Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic..." You got exactly the reaction you were looking for. Boredom... it's a drag.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 08:41 PM

As I said, DAVID, we're having a longer, colder than usual winter here.
And some have sunshine and 70's.
I'm not trying to debate anything.

Sorry you're bored.

I just got back from taking my 10 yr. old tubing at the awesome sledding hills near our home. We took a hike on the forzen pond, identifying animal tracks in the snow and watching three rather large Deer meander near the sledding hill.

When life gives you lemons.....

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 08:58 PM

nature's cool. We have several deer who enjoy the shrubbery planted at our community entrance.

Had several black bears rummaging through our garbage a few weeks ago, and two separate spottings of a coyote and a florida panther (later hit and killed on I-75)

Alligator in every pond (and a few swimming pools if you're not careful), birds everywhere... rainbows and unicorns!

Ironically enough, however, I have yet to see the giant boa constrictors that are roaming around. Not that I'm looking for them but....

And judging from the amount of bird poop that piled up this week on the deck of my boat, the Herons are back.

Do those dummy owls work?

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/06/14 10:17 PM

National Geographic presents If All The Ice Melted

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 12:05 AM

If anyone truly believed in man made climate change they would organize an underground movement where on one day they would all go out and kill every single human they saw. Culling the population is the only viable solution. Anyone doing less than that is just trying to make a buck off the hype.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
If anyone truly believed in man made climate change they would organize an underground movement where on one day they would all go out and kill every single human they saw. Culling the population is the only viable solution. Anyone doing less than that is just trying to make a buck off the hype.

Spoken like a true mass murderer. Have you ever considered a complete neurological workup?
Posted By: tback

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 01:21 AM

Just finished reading a book with exactly that plot: VIRUS

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 01:53 AM

Culling the population is the "only" solution? It's not, really. There are tons of talked about options including things to counteract the atmospheric aspects that are contributing to the issue...but they may have unintended consequences so most of those are last ditch efforts should the situation become dire. We probably can still do some stuff to minimize the extent of the damage - but many big businesses are pumping cash into the political system to keep that from affecting their interests.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 02:07 AM

Welp, if you can convince almost eight billion people to pretend it's 1725 that could work, but I think that's a hard sell.

Terry, who's the author? A Google search is kinda like looking for a needle in a pile of needles.
Posted By: tback

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 02:28 AM

Welp, if you can convince almost eight billion people to pretend it's 1725 that could work, but I think that's a hard sell.

Terry, who's the author? A Google search is kinda like looking for a needle in a pile of needles.

CORRECTION:

Title: SICK (A Project Eden Thriller)
Author: Brett Battles

Pretty good read.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 02:59 AM

hah...true.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 05:37 AM

Are you concerned with Cascading System Failures Todd? Of course you aren't.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by tback

CORRECTION:

Title: SICK (A Project Eden Thriller)
Author: Brett Battles

Pretty good read.

Population reduction (to save the world) also the basic plotline of Dan Brown's (The DaVinci Code) latest book, Inferno. It's an OK read - kind of typical Dan Brown / Robert Langdon story.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 11:35 AM

Even if global warming isn't a man made problem, reducing pollution cant hurt.
Just look at the mess China is in, not looking forward to wearing a gas mask when going out the door:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/chinas-toxic-sky/100449/

There are some companies who are making an effort to reduce CO2 emissions, like Apple which uses a lot of renewable power for its datacenters.
Something not everyone is too happy about: http://mashable.com/2014/02/28/apple-ceo-tim-cook-climate-change/

Personally I think the technology that comes out of the sustainability problem is amazing, like this concept car that runs on salt water:

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/
Posted By: bacho

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Even if global warming isn't a man made problem, reducing pollution cant hurt.
Just look at the mess China is in, not looking forward to wearing a gas mask when going out the door:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/chinas-toxic-sky/100449/

There are some companies who are making an effort to reduce CO2 emissions, like Apple which uses a lot of renewable power for its datacenters.
Something not everyone is too happy about: http://mashable.com/2014/02/28/apple-ceo-tim-cook-climate-change/

Personally I think the technology that comes out of the sustainability problem is amazing, like this concept car that runs on salt water:

http://www.nanoflowcell.com/

I would agree with you there, while I am not convinced that climate change is a man-made problem, we certainly could do much more on an Individual level to reduce pollution overall. Reducing our consumption of junk, trash and disposable materials would go a long ways in reducing pollution from manufacturing these things or pollution from throwing them in the dump.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 03:09 PM

I think the challenges to changing behavior are severalfold:

- results of current conservation activities will likely not be seen in our lifetime
- costs are generally higher (because most current behavior is subsidized - like fuel or landfills)
- you're asking people to reduce consumption which flies in the face of every dollar spent on advertising in the world (which is probably some go-zillion dollars)

So, despite our supreme intelligence we're still behaving like a virus.

Also, isn't the top tier of any food chain the most likely to go extinct? Lions, raptors, dinosaur, etc?
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 03:13 PM

I'll say. Life expectancy in the EU was in the low 20's. Yikes! (ref here)

The other gotcha with going Amish on a large scale is a biggie: Methane. All those horses and cows aren't going to be greenhouse neutral.

End of the day, there is no free lunch. Do the best you can to live efficiently and move on.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 10:42 PM

Is average global temperature increasing? Yes.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums...in_GISS_annual_temperature_anomalies.gif

Is Sea ice melting? Yes.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/Kevin_Easton1988/naam-ice-07.jpg

Are glaciers melting? Yes.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/Kevin_Easton1988/glacier_mass_loss2.gif

Is CO2 concentrations rising? Yes.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/Kevin_Easton1988/mlo_record.png

Is Sea level rising? Yes.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums...4acb285d2790483afcbbb2ed130ceb2ccf9e.jpg

Are oceans warming? Yes.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/Kevin_Easton1988/ocean_heat_content.gif

Is this uncommon? No. These same occurrences have been happening for millions of years, long before humans.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/Kevin_Easton1988/vostok_temp1.gif

Debate the cause, not the facts. "Climate change" is real, "global warming" (see the chart) is real. It happened before humans, it will happen after human. It's a common ocurance.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/07/14 10:43 PM

Another interesting perspective on "climate change" can come from Antarctica's history and plate tectonics.

Antarctica was once covered by 1,000s of square miles of dense hardwood forest. When it became isolated from it's separation from south America, a dominant circumpolar current formed around it. The current prevented warm air and water from flowing pole-ward (think of a force field). As a result, Antarctica began to cool and ice started to form. This promoted a positive feedback loop (run away effect) in which the more ice that formed, the more light (IR) was reflected back to space, causing it to cool further. Now that sea ice is melting, there is less surface area to reflect light and more ocean surface to absorb heat. So now, we have a positive feedback in the opposite direction. This is why polar regions are warming fast than other regions on Earth.

Now think about how "climate" would have "changed" when the Atlantic ocean didn't exist (Pangaea- Think Gulf Stream) or when India was not apart of the Eurasian continent. The rain shadow north of the Himalaya's has caused vast desert-land on what is known as the Tibet Plateau.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/08/14 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Todd_Sails
Originally Posted by Bille

to fight over it ??

Bille

So I'm the nutcase?
The photo wasn't menat to spark any debate whatsoever. I was pointing out we are having a colder, more snowfall winter this year, and the 4 winters I've been here, usually there is little if any snow on the ground by the date of that picture.

And Vegas has bin WARMER than normal .
So i could go the Other way .
What was the title of this Thread once again ??

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic...
with a picture of your snow covered house .

OMG ,i think there may be a lack of cognitive thinking
here...

Yes : "Nut-case" !!

Bille
Posted By: Pirate

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/08/14 12:51 PM

The facts..... plain and simple....

no political input / no biased greeny tree hugger BS / no redneck cwap /....

just ALL the facts & presented so that everyone can understand

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLkze-9GcI&feature=relmfu

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN06JSi-SW8&feature=relmfu

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCXDISLXTaY&feature=fvwrel

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQQGFZHSno

Now you can decide

cool

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/08/14 06:02 PM

Coffee is the canary in the coal mine.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/09/14 07:45 PM

I had you all wrong Todd. You and the teabaggers are scholars.

"Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is scholarship." As part of his scholarship, Proctor says he "watches Fox News all the time."

[b]Cultural production of ignorance provides rich field for study[/b]

Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/10/14 01:45 PM

What can you do individually?
recycle everything you can

Grow a garden

Compost your food trash

build a sistern or water catchment to water your garden

dont plant a yardful of grass, naturalize your yard limiting the amount of gas operated lawn equipment and watering you will have to do.

Keep it going, what other smart ideas do you have? we can debate global warming all day, but we could turn this post into a productive one with some good ideas just as easy

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/10/14 01:48 PM

I recycle because I'm a cheapskate. I know my taxes are paying wages over at the recycle center, so I send everything I can over there to keep them busy.

We've got the single container recycle program, so I'm sure that they're busy sorting out all the stuff I pack in my 65 gallon container. What stinks is they don't want styrofoam (egg containers, etc) or anything with food on it (hello?) Good thing I have a dog to clean up my food wrappers before recycling smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/10/14 07:47 PM

+2
Originally Posted by dave mosley

Grow a garden

Compost your food trash

dont plant a yardful of grass, naturalize your yard limiting the amount of gas operated lawn equipment and watering you will have to do.

Keep it going, what other smart ideas do you have? we can debate global warming all day, but we could turn this post into a productive one with some good ideas just as easy

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/10/14 08:44 PM

Grow a garden

Compost your food trash

NICE ; + 1 more !!

Your last line was the Best ; i think the climate-change
guys would have a Better argument, if they just stayed
with the prospect that the earth would be better off without
pollution in the air & water, (Humans would live Longer) if
we made some changes !!

Bille

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/11/14 02:36 PM

http://www.raingutterprosinc.com/

I read somewhere recently that a business owner in Salt Lake City was fined for capturing rain water from the roof of the business and used to supplement his water needs but couldn't find any more info. In searching, however, I did find this link above. Kudos to LA for doing the right thing here.
The new construction of my house will include rain water collection and storage to be used for all toilet flushing and washing. I lived in the USVI back in the 90's and my house/hut had a water collection system with a systern under the house. No matter what end of the political spectrum each of us likes to categorize ourselves, I'm sure we all agree on taking care of the environment.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/11/14 03:01 PM

Wrong link, sorry.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/11/14 04:02 PM

the radio recently reported that Las Vegas (outside the strip) was the most water efficient city in US, re-purposing almost 94% of its water.

Of course, Florida was the least water efficient state. It amazed the engineers that the state gets an average of 4 feet of rainfall annually, but we still have lawn watering, and Miami / Palm beach and Tampa/Clearwater are often in severe water restrictions.

But, at least the water management district has plans for more water storage. I believe their latest plan involves some 14,000 acres on the Caloosahatchee to be turned into a shallow lake for water to be used during the dry season.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/18/14 02:41 PM

Folks, I'd just like to share this 'selfie' from Wind Lake, in Wind Lake WI. I took yesterday. The Ice is still about 2.5 feet think:

[Linked Image]

This spot is about 25 miles SW of Milwaukee WI.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/18/14 02:44 PM

Grow a garden

Compost your food trash

Thanks, and I agree Dave. I didn't intend it to bet into a pissing match about 'climate change'. I was only pointing out that in the Midwest, are having a colder than average winter.
Yes, climate changes, it always has, and it always will.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/18/14 04:05 PM

Isn't that a Black Helicopter in the background?
[Linked Image]

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/18/14 06:04 PM

or a 777 ?
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/19/14 05:25 AM

Back on Maui for awhile. They still have a long way to go here for recycling. Still no paper and cardboard recovery. Finally got plastic, can, and glass pick up but requires different containers. They have a lot to do, compared to Seattle. You would think people living on an Island would do a better job.

Hey 1616, any ideas on how to improve? Are they still shipping garbage to Oregon, via barge?

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/19/14 11:37 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 03/29/14 11:22 PM

Huge Wave in Pacific Ocean About to Hit West Coast Will Have Global Impacts

An enormous wave now centered at 500 feet deep along the equator south of Hawaii is silently moving below the surface towards the west coast of the Americas.
This wave, called a Kelvin wave, took four years to build. It has just started to breach the surface. It is so large that it has substantially raised the height of the sea surface for thousands of miles along the equator in the central Pacific ocean. As it pushes towards the west coast it will impact global ocean currents and weather.

Stronger than normal trade winds drove water westward in the equatorial Pacific ocean, building a large deep pool of exceptionally warm water in the western Pacific ocean. The height of the sea surface is normally about 0.5m (about one and a half feet) higher in the western Pacific than the eastern Pacific at the equator because of the warm pool. This is part of a normal cycle in the ocean that, according to climate models, has been amplified by warming by greenhouse gases produced by human activities. Four years is unusually long in this normal cycle, allowing more time to develop an exceptionally large, deep pool of warm water. Sea level was about 4 inches higher than normal before it began moving east.

The speeding up of the trade winds over the past 15 years has deepened the warm pool leading to the development of stronger and stronger November typhoons in the Philippines. Typhoon Haiyan, which devastated the Philippines this November, was the strongest typhoon in Philippine history and in contention for the strongest recorded on earth. Its explosive development was enabled by the deep warm pool.

This January very intense winter storms, fueled by outbreaks of Siberian air interacting with warmer than normal waters in the western Pacific, developed large westerly wind fields that reached deep into the tropics. These westerly winds unleashed the warm pool and it began moving east with the winds. When the west winds stopped, the sea surface height difference between the eastern and western Pacific continued to drive it east.

As the Kelvin wave and the warm pool moves east it warms the air over the central Pacific lowering the air pressure near Tahiti. At the same time, the water near Darwin Australia may cool a little as the warm pool moves away from its normal center near Indonesia. The air pressure rises are Darwin. The difference in air pressure, normalized for seasonal effects, between Tahiti and Darwin, called the Southern Oscillation Index has just turned significantly negative. If this trend continues, it will be the classic sign of a developing El Nino event.

Global models are now in agreement that an El Nino is beginning. The spring months are the hardest months to make El Nino forecasts, but the size and strength of the Kelvin wave is so great this time that the forecast is almost surely correct. This Kelvin wave is bigger and stronger than the one that led to the "super El Nino" of 1997 - 1998.
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 04/02/14 06:07 PM

Your black helicopter picture PROVES global warming is FAKE,FAKE,FAKE! In fact, the glaciers are coming back--"Picture Proof!" --ICE IN HAWAII. I dare you prove my flawless logic is wrong.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 04/02/14 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_F18
[Linked Image]

OMG ;
Ya got a Great sense of Humor !!!!!!

Bille

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 04/03/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Peterson
Your black helicopter picture PROVES global warming is FAKE,FAKE,FAKE! In fact, the glaciers are coming back--"Picture Proof!" --ICE IN HAWAII. I dare you prove my flawless logic is wrong.

You're abbsooolutelllyyyy right!! There is ice in Hawaii.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kaos

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 04/03/14 08:04 PM

Oh No, the truth is starting to get out.....

Green Guru James Lovelock on Climate Change: ‘I don’t think anybody really knows what’s happening. They just guess’ – Lovelock Reverses Himself on Global Warming

http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/04...lock-reverses-himself-on-global-warming/

Lovelock, on BBC TV, slams the global warming claims including those of of the United Nations climate panel. 'They just guess. And a whole group of them meet together and encourage each other’s guesses.'

Lovelock was once one of the leading voices of climate alarm. See: 2006 Climate Shocker: Lovelock Predicted Global Warming Doom: 'Billions of us will die; few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in Arctic'

Fast Forward to April 2012: ‘Gaia’ scientist James Lovelock reverses himself: I was ‘alarmist’ about climate change & so was Gore! ‘The problem is we don’t know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago’

Lovelock becomes UN IPCC's biggest critic: Green Guru Lovelock Slams UN IPCC & Greens: ‘Whenever UN puts its finger in it seems to become a mess’ — ‘The green religion is now taking over from the Christian religion’ -- James Lovelock: ''IPCC is too politicized & too internalized' -- On Green religion: 'I don't think people have noticed that, but it's got all the sort of terms that religions use. The greens use guilt. You can't win people round by saying they are guilty for putting CO2 in the air'

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 04/04/14 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kaos
Lovelock Reverses Himself on Global Warming

[Linked Image]

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 05/17/14 11:56 PM

Jeez Todd! Now the President has got the military trying to deflect interest in B-E-N-G-H-A-Z-I.

Climate Change Deemed Growing Security Threat by Military Researchers

If only the 30 Million Moran (sic) March had gotten more than 20 people to show up. Then everything would be right in the world.

The trending hashtag on the Twitters has been #AmericanSpringExcuses

1. They couldn’t figure out a way to get there without using a government-built road.
2. They were there, but you couldn't see them because of the cammo
3. BENGHAZI
4. It’s meth-cooking season, so couldn’t leave their meth labs.
5. It was national discount day at Golden Corral.
6. There were too many puddles to navigate around.
7. COPS was being filmed in their trailer park that day and didn’t want to miss an opportunity to be on television.
8. There was a Duck Dynasty marathon on A & E all day.
9. Saw a rainbow over Washington, and turned around, thinking that getting near it might make them gay.
10. They were given ultimatums by their cousins that they’d break up with them if they left for a day or two.
11. Roadway sign said "Washington Left", so they did
12. Illegal to ride lawn mowers on the streets of Washington.
13. They couldn’t find their teeth, and they don’t go out without them.
14. If you count the voices in the heads of the people who showed up, there were 30 million people there.
15. Just finishing up the signs. How many "K"s in Amerikka?
16. Wanted to march against tyrannical min.wage but can't afford it. Thanks Obama!
17. Had doctor's appt. I have health care now for some reason.
18. Told Librl troll I'd show up after the first nonwhite person did.
19. Our grassroots funding from the Kochs were late to arrive.
20. Everybody stayed home for fear the internet comments would be left untended.
21. Truck is on concrete blocks in front of our house.
22. The Reid/Pelosi embargo on battery packs for Rascals.

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 06/02/14 05:53 AM

Good thing you don't live in Norfolk, VA Todd.

Norfolk, VA. Going, Going, Gone Underwater

The streets of Norfolk, Virginia, regularly flood now at high tide, often trapping people in their homes and preventing them from getting to work.

The City's $24 million Chrysler Museum of Art was forced to empty its basement and move its HVAC system to the top floor of the building.

Churches in Norfolk now post tide charts on their web sites so people can determine whether they can even get to church. Some churches are being sold because they can't pay their skyrocketing flood insurance premiums.

Climate change is not "debated" in Norfolk, Virginia. Due to an unfortunate confluence of global warming, the Gulf Stream, and the physical placement of the city, the sea around Norfolk Virginia, home of the largest naval base on the planet, is rising faster than anywhere else on the East Coast. Norfolk ranks behind only New Orleans in terms of American cities whose populations are threatened by rising seas.

The problem is particularly urgent in Norfolk and the rest of Tidewater Virginia — which the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has ranked second only to New Orleans in terms of population threatened by sea-level rise — due to a fateful convergence of lousy luck. First, the seas are generally rising as the planet warms. Second, the Gulf Stream is circulating more slowly, causing more water to slosh toward the North Atlantic coast. In 2012, the U.S. Geological Survey declared a 600-mile stretch of coastline, from North Carolina’s Cape Hatteras to Boston, a “sea-level rise hotspot,” with rates increasing at three to four times the global average.

Third, the land around Norfolk is sinking, a phenomenon called “subsidence,” due in part to continuing adjustments in the earth’s crust to the melting of glaciers from the last ice age. Plus, the city is slowly sinking into the crater of a meteor that slammed into the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay 35 million years ago.

The Virginia General Assembly tasked the Virginia Institute of Marine Science to project the potential sea rise. According to the VIMS study, if significant efforts are not made to reduce greenhouse gases, the seas will rise approximately 5 and 1/2 feet by 2100, effectively drowning the city. A worst case scenario assuming increased melting of glaciers and the ice caps projects 8 feet of sea rise.
The City hired a Dutch firm in 2012 to estimate the cost of building adaptation to mitigate the effects of just one foot of sea rise. The projected cost was one billion dollars, equivalent to the City's entire annual budget.

Options for dealing with the water are limited, and expensive. The city could protect itself with more barriers. Williams lamented, for instance, that a new $318 million light-rail system — paid for primarily with federal funds -- was built at sea level. With a little foresight, he said, the tracks could have been elevated to create a bulwark against the tides.

As it stands, the new rail system could itself be swept away, the money wasted. “Nowhere do we have resiliency built in,” he said.

A second option calls for people to abandon the most vulnerable parts of town, to “retreat somewhat from the sea,” as Mayor Paul D. Fraim put it in a 2011 interview, when he became the first sitting politician in the nation to raise the prospect.

To make matters even worse, the city incorporates capped toxic waste sites along the Elizabeth River. The article raises the possibility that these Superfund sites may simply "pop" and "float away."
The dangers posed by sea rise to Norfolk are not "newly discovered." The military has been attempting to address the effects on the Navy base since the 1990's. What's changed is the attitude of the U.S. Congress, specifically House Republicans:

At Naval Station Norfolk, sea-level rise prompted a decision in the late 1990s to raise the station’s 12 piers, said Joe Bouchard, base commander at the time. Construction has since been completed on only four, he said, adding that work was halted in 2008, when the recession hit, the federal budget deficit soared and Congress began frantically slashing spending.

“That’s when Washington went bonkers,” said Bouchard, an expert on the national security implications of climate change.

"Went bonkers," of course, means when the Tea Party arrived on the scene.
The third and final option for the City to save itself is by raising the city itself, including buildings, roads and other structures. But there is simply no way to pay for it, particularly with Miami and New York equally vulnerable and looking for federal assistance. And the problem at that point will not be limited to Norfolk, Virginia. U.S. Congressman driving to work will have an interesting commute:

Larry Atkinson, an oceanographer who is co-director of the Climate Change and Sea Level Rise Initiative at Old Dominion University, said when the mayor was asked about the report, he waved away the question. “He says, ‘I can’t think about five feet. What do you want me to do, move the whole city?’ ”

It’s not just Norfolk, Atkinson said. Much of the Eastern Shore would be underwater; Baltimore and Washington would be in trouble, too. “At five feet,” he said, “the Mall’s flooded.”

Maybe that's when they'll finally start paying attention.
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 06/02/14 07:35 AM

come and see how we do that in the Netherlands,

Half our country is below sea-level (already for centuries)!
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Climate Change? Yea right, todays house pic... - 06/02/14 10:58 AM

http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1392/pdf/circ1392.pdf

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/06/...ginia-60-of-the-rise-is-from-subsidence/
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums