Catsailor.com

R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr.

Posted By: F-18 5150

R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 03/30/14 02:54 PM

Sad new today in the catamaran sailing community. Hobart "Hobie" Alter SR. passed away yesterday at his home. He was with his family.
R.I.P. Hobie
Posted By: mbounds

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 03/30/14 05:36 PM

We all knew it was coming sooner rather than later. Laurie A. said he had been going downhill since the "Hobie, Master of Water, Wind and Waves" book launch party back in December. (http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/097042289X - buy it, it's pretty amazing.)

Still, it's a physical blow.

The sport has lost a great visionary. Condolences to Hobie P., Jeff, Paula, Susan and all the grandchildren.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 03/30/14 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by mbounds

The sport has lost a great visionary. Condolences to Hobie P., Jeff, Paula, Susan and all the grandchildren.

+1
8 bells Hobie Alter. Fair winds and following seas (and surf).
Posted By: brucat

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 03/31/14 04:09 PM

I didn't want to believe this until seeing some sort of independent confirmation. I couldn't find anything yesterday, but there is lots of coverage today. Here's a nice video:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/03/30/surfboard-innovator-hobie-alter-dead-at-80/

RIP, Hobie, we owe everything to you. Condolences to the entire family and everyone whose life was touched by his.

Mike
Posted By: Bille

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 03/31/14 06:58 PM

I flew an RC glider made by him ; was called the Hobie-Hawk
and it flew Great ! It seams that most everything he
attempted to build, turned out to be a decent design.

I've owned a Hobie-20, a Hobie 21, and the Hobie-Hawk ;
they all worked Great !!!

Bille
Posted By: Arjan13

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/01/14 07:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU3fickcDAI&feature=youtu.be

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/02/14 05:51 PM

Over on the Hobie cat forum, in the, "Hobie Alter R.I.P." Thread , i noticed that --mmiller-- did NOT respond.

Was Hobie Alter & the current people running Hobie ----
were they on the Outs with each other ?
I would-a thought mmiller should have responded ? !!

Bille
Posted By: Jake

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/02/14 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bille
Over on the Hobie cat forum, in the, "Hobie Alter R.I.P." Thread , i noticed that --mmiller-- did NOT respond.

Was Hobie Alter & the current people running Hobie ----
were they on the Outs with each other ?
I would-a thought mmiller should have responded ? !!

Bille

Man, talk about reading into things. I would bet that Matt's response was probably much more personal and "in person" in nature than posting on an internet forum. If someone I personally knew and admired passed away, I probably wouldn't be posting on forums about it.

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/02/14 07:28 PM

I Hope your correct !

Bille

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/02/14 08:42 PM

Dude, step away from the keyboard, you're spending entirely too much time in chat rooms.

The Hobie Cat company website has a tribute on the front page. Last time I checked, Matt runs the site. Conspiracy killed...

Mike

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/02/14 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Dude, step away from the keyboard, you're spending entirely too much time in chat rooms.

The Hobie Cat company website has a tribute on the front page. Last time I checked, Matt runs the site. Conspiracy killed...

Mike

Actually NO i don't spend a bunch of time on forums, look at
my post count !

And that Tribute was put up AFTER i mentioned this , because
i Looked.
Today is Wednesday, and Mr Alter died on Saturday ; how
many days is that ?

X

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/03/14 12:35 AM

Jake tried to reason with you, but that didn't work.

I tried to use humor to help, but that clearly didn't work.

Let me just go with honesty: Your accusation, let alone timing and choice of thread in which to make this baseless attack, are inappropriate, unwelcome, and turning my stomach.

Mike
Posted By: Capt.Andy

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/03/14 01:17 PM

thank you Mike - I was about to pen the same thought but your last sentence says it perfectly... I'm new to this forum and new to Hobie... May his spirit live on in every one of us that he touched in some way...
Posted By: mmiller

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/06/14 11:13 PM

To fully kill this theory...

I was on vacation in Florida and not monitoring forums. I'm not the lead forum guy these days either, but try to get in there when I'm in the office. I no longer run the website either. As we've expanded... I've gotten to let a few jobs go to others. We have a tech support team and a web / IT team these days. Now I can concentrate on my main job... parts and accessories.

The official release about his death came on the next business day (31st). This came from management and our press relations group. And many personal tributes have followed.

We all loved Hobie Alter and have been blessed in life by his creations and attitude. Our staff is in mourning Hobie's passing, but Have a Hobie Day lives on.

Such an outpouring of love for this man and his creations. I've been having strangers stop and ask me (I wear a lot of Hobie T shirts!) if I had heard that he passed away, which begins another conversation reminiscing about our experiences involving him and Hobie products.

Hobie's creations touched so many peoples lives ... certainly my life in a big way! From the first Hobie 16 that I purchased in 1976 ... so many friends gained ... travel all around the World ... a livelihood for me that has lasted nearly my entire adult working life ... and is still going!

Thank you Hobie.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/06/14 11:36 PM

Well said Matt

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/16/14 05:53 PM

Schedule of events for the paddle out for Hobie Alter this Friday (April 18th).

All kinds of Hobie craft are encouraged to attend. There are surfers, sailors, kayakers, SUPs, Islands, Cats... all planning to attend. I'm paddling out on my Hobie Maui. Join us.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Carl

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/19/14 03:12 PM

Condolences to Hobie P., Jeff, Paula, Susan and all the grandchildren.

Such a great guy and wonderfull family . I had the pleasure of meeting Hobie at National and World championship events way back when as well as all the great racing with his family - Hobie -Jeff and Paula over the early years and many incredible racing experiences that have meant so much to us all .

With great respect and admiration
Carl R
Posted By: hobiephil

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/19/14 03:49 PM

Hundreds take to water in tribute to surfing icon Hobie Alter

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 04/21/14 04:39 PM

[Linked Image]

Hobie Paddle Out
Thousands Gather To Honor Sailing, Surfing Pioneer Hobie Alter
Posted By: Timbo

Re: R.I.P. "Hobie" Hobart Alter Sr. - 05/07/14 01:17 PM