Catsailor.com

Riveting into a carbon tube?

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/10/14 02:38 AM

Anything special I need to know? I broke my spin pole at the end of last year and I think I'm going to replace the aluminum tube with a carbon one. There's only a couple of fittings.

I'd assume a washer for a backer?
Posted By: Jake

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/10/14 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Anything special I need to know? I broke my spin pole at the end of last year and I think I'm going to replace the aluminum tube with a carbon one. There's only a couple of fittings.

I'd assume a washer for a backer?

monel rivets, plenty of sealant, and a backer won't hurt.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/10/14 03:18 AM

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93799

there are special rivets for carbon fitting. AHPC/GD should be able to supply them
Posted By: conrad dxb

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/10/14 05:48 AM

We have not riveted our blocks to our carbon tubes we have lashed them on as this spreads the load all around the tube, as apposed to point load rivets, jib and spinnaker no problem , no holes.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/10/14 08:40 PM

Don't rivet - glue, strop or tie
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/10/14 11:26 PM

That was kinda the gist of the thread that Dazz posted as well.

How about drilling a hole for the tack line to come out of the pole? Probably needs a grommet of some sort.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/11/14 12:45 AM

I've seen machined alum inserts that slip into the end of the pole, with a smoothly chamfered hole in the end for the tack line. They have a lip that's the same dia as the pole so they can be epoxied in without fasteners, and the load is transferred to the pole by the lip, not the glue.

Or I've also had alum caps constructed to distribute the loads, and the tack line could come out the end of this design as well.

Description: ARC pole tip
Attached picture 22 spin 003.jpg
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/11/14 01:23 AM

SNU makes those.
Barefoot studios.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/11/14 10:09 AM

He needs a hole for the tack line to come out the side of the pole, not the end.
Posted By: phill

Re: Riveting into a carbon tube? - 04/11/14 10:41 AM

Karl,
With reference to your original post:-
Things to note- If stainless is in contact with carbon it will rust or corrode. So any stainless needs to be insulated with glass or resin or something else depending on your application. So bed all stainless fittings that you add in epoxy.
ALSO Carbon is not an especially great material to drill let alone rivet. So keep drilling and especially riveting to an absolute min and bed it all in a thickened epoxy mix.
Being the anal kind of person that I am, if I was making a pole that I was going to drill I'd make sure I included at least some glass in that area of the laminate if I was going to rivet I'd add kevlar just in that area.
As your not making the pole from scratch I'd follow Team VMG's advice. Paul summed it up as well as it could.
Good luck.

Regards,
Phill
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums