Catsailor.com

First regattas - camping setup

Posted By: PurdueZach

First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 01:47 PM

Hello everyone, this summer I'm going to as many regattas as I can. CRAM is probably the closest to me. I'm from Indianapolis so Michigan regattas will be a 5 or 7 hour drive usually. I'm wondering if you guys could share with me what your camping setup usually is or what you've seen from others....

I'm planning on bringing a tent and just camping out of my car. I'm an Eagle Scout and I have all of the necessary camping equipment. Caseville 1 and 2 are at a state park so we will be at campsites. Some of the other regattas will be at different yacht clubs where we will camp on their grounds.

Since I was a kid, I always thought these rooftop tents were awesome. Surely it is way overkill but has anyone ever seen one of these at a regatta campsite?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 03:12 PM

Here's my set up.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bacho

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 03:27 PM

I used one of those rooftop tents a few times on my old Toyota. They do okay, it's a pretty decent tent set up. But, it's not a great car topper for the rest of the time when you're not camping. The tent really takes up a lot of room in the roof, meaning you're stuck to crawling around in the back of your truck.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 03:38 PM

And then how do you use the truck for transportation, after you've set the tent up on top of it?

I use a simple 4 man (2 man is more like it!) back-packing type tent, cost me $49 at WalMart, takes me about 10 minutes to set it up and break it down, and I can still use my wheels to run around town, looking for more food and beer.
Posted By: brucat

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 03:44 PM

Pros and cons to all options. I've done everything from sleeping in the back of a pickup or SUV, to a tent, to now, a full sized RV.

Sleeping in the SUV is easiest, and is very dry if it rains, but you'll need screens if you want to open the windows. It's also low-profile, meaning that you can sleep where camping may not be allowed.

I'm an Eagle too, I wonder how many we have here?

Mike
Posted By: pgp

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 03:58 PM

I don't bother with a tent unless I'm going to be set up for at least three days. I like plenty of room so that I keep things organized and not feel claustrophobic in bad weather. http://store.eurekatent.com/copper-canyon-12-person-tent I've found a small fan run on D cell batteries is very helpful.

When traveling I often use KOA cabins. https://www.google.com/search?q=koa...mp;ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=632

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 04:17 PM

My tent looks something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texsport-Camping-1109-Brookwood-Internal-Frame-Tent/35227838

I got that and a sleeping bag for under $100 many years ago, so they've earned their keep.

Oh,BTW, I was also a Boy Scout, up in New Hampshire, where we hiked the White Mountains and camped out in the winter, well below zero many nights.

I actually preferred camping in the winter vs. summer, as there were no bugs, less sweating while hiking in the winter and there was water (snow) everywhere, and we built many toboggan runs!

In the summer we were always hot and sweaty, getting rained on and eaten alive by black flies and mosquitoes.
Posted By: Jake

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 05:14 PM

I have a four man when I am planning to be there for a weekend. I carry a single man for circumstances where I might not need it. That single man is small and I have found that if I'm a little sore from a big day of sailing, it's hell getting out of in the morning. Probably looks like I'm being birthed. ;-)

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 05:21 PM

A big tent allows for some furniture and accessories. I hate being wet and uncomfortable. Mind, getting wet isn't so bad if you have someplace dry and warm to retreat to. A good rainfly, with an entry portico and some sort of entry mats are a must for me. I carry a couple of rolls carpet and separate the two rooms into living and sleeping area. Some outside chairs and table don't hurt. Currently I carry just one small folding table and two chairs.

The thought here is anything but roughing it! In about an hour I can set up a comfortable cabin in the woods. That will withstand (barely) 55 mph winds.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 05:51 PM

I suppose if I were interested in the minimalist game this would be pretty high on the list.

http://www.rei.com/product/862421/r...p;RRID=35648829&ev11=0&ev36=NULL

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 06:53 PM

Since I don't carry any of this stuff on my back, up a mountain anymore, I don't mind having a tent and sleeping bag that's a little oversized, even if it's just me in it.

It's always nice to have a little more room to move around, inside, away from the bugs, and room for the cooler inside too.

I also bought an inflatable queen size air mattress, about 6 inches fat when blown up, and an electric pump that has two alligator clips to my truck battery to inflate it. Makes the bed soft no matter how lumpy the ground.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 07:23 PM

Agreed, air mattress (and pump) is critical, even in the back of an SUV...

Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/22/14 08:39 PM

+1 I'm trying to get one sized for the cabin on the 24... or the nets if the bugs aren't out.
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 02:18 AM

Those blow up mattresses will ruin you. I refuse to camp anymore unless we bring it. I guess I'm getting too soft and/or too old. My days of sleeping on the ground are over.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 02:24 AM

Well if I were hiking up a mountain, I'd leave it behind and pack my 1 inch thick foam pad, but since I'm hauling all my crap to a regatta in a pickup truck, I try to bring as much stuff as possible to make my night a bit easier. Oh, and beer, lots of beer, and extra ice.

Oh, and a mini boom box for my iPod, and a battery powered lantern for inside the tent.

And ear plugs...those frogs at Lake Eustis can get pretty loud at 3am!

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 12:49 PM

what really rocks is they now have blow-up reclining chairs.

So now I can bring a complete blow-up set (including hookers like Karl mentioned would draw more attendance)

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I'll plan on bringing a tent or setting up in the back of my xterra. Sounds like the real trick is to bring lots of beer for yourself and for everyone to share and to have a good time.

Most of these CRAM regattas I will be arriving late friday night because I can't leave until after work. Hopefully I can figure out what the hell I'm doing.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 02:18 PM

Rum takes up less space and requires less ice...

Mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 03:01 PM

I had camped with 2 queen sized air mattress for years.
2 (stacked) is much better for several reasons.
1. you don't have to roll in and out of bed
2. WHEN one pops... you aren't sleeping in a flat pile of pvc
3. if you practice, you can "launch" your unexpected (sleeping) girlfriend for a little air time

But then I saw the light ....
imho Thermarest are 10000x more comfy
they: roll up, inflate with 20 puffs - no need for a battery or manual pump, weigh almost nothing and they don't give me that "flating" feeling i get from an air mattress

draw back - your on the floor (i fix that by putting my thermarest on a cot if i am camping for an extended time) & they are a bit pricey,

Originally Posted by Redtwin
Those blow up mattresses will ruin you. I refuse to camp anymore unless we bring it. I guess I'm getting too soft and/or too old. My days of sleeping on the ground are over.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 03:19 PM

how much are those kitesailing air pumps? May opt for one of those if the batteries don't work...

Never thought to stack the mattresses to elevate higher... good idea.
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 03:25 PM

I don't have a problem getting up and down off of the ground. My issue is sleeping on the hard ground. No matter how much site prep I do, I end up with that rock or that stick in my back all night.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
how much are those kitesailing air pumps? May opt for one of those if the batteries don't work...

you can get a cheap battery powered one for $15-50
they are great for stoking a camp fire but heavy and often die after a season (wont accept a charge anymore)... more reasons why i love the thermarest

[Linked Image]

Never thought to stack the mattresses to elevate higher... good idea.
- catman showed me that one
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 04:01 PM

They also have the pumps that plug into your car power plugs.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 04:31 PM

foot powered too
Originally Posted by F-18 5150
They also have the pumps that plug into your car power plugs.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
3. if you practice, you can "launch" your unexpected (sleeping) girlfriend for a little air time

they: roll up, inflate with 20 puffs - no need for a battery or manual pump, weigh almost nothing and they don't give me that "flating" feeling i get from an air mattress

draw back - your on the floor (i fix that by putting my thermarest on a cot if i am camping for an extended time) & they are a bit pricey,

What else ya got? I'm planning on a little boat camping and I'm particularly interested in ultra-light stuff like stoves.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 07:26 PM

IMHO can't beat a good old coleman camping stove for value. there are better built and cheaper ones but these are a great compromise

they aren't very heavy at all and the ones with wind walls make a huge difference in cooking time if there is any wind

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/23/14 08:42 PM

Are you talking about the backpack size, or the multi-burners (old school)? I have one from the 70s.

Of course, it's never used. I don't even use the stove in the RV at regattas...

On family camping trips, I prefer to cook on a campfire, using another old trick: all you really need is fire, and foil...

Mike
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by MN3

What else ya got? I'm planning on a little boat camping and I'm particularly interested in ultra-light stuff like stoves.

JETBOIL.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by MN3

JETBOIL.

I second that. Those things are awesome.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 02:44 PM

the 2 burner with side wind walls is what I meant.
Cooking on a fire is great but having a burner for coffee or food when it rains is essential gear for me.

And yes there are many smaller and lighter systems, if you are backpacking they are perfect, otherwise they are very expensive for my needs and almost everyone has standard propane fuel (both stores and other campers)...
Originally Posted by brucat
Are you talking about the backpack size, or the multi-burners (old school)? I have one from the 70s.

Of course, it's never used. I don't even use the stove in the RV at regattas...

On family camping trips, I prefer to cook on a campfire, using another old trick: all you really need is fire, and foil...

Mike

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 03:07 PM

I don't camp like I did in Boy Scouts anymore, either. We're always in close enough proximity to restaurants if the weather stinks.

My Coleman stove is OLD, old school. Runs on Coleman (liquid) fuel, not propane!

I like cooking on the fire because it's fun and relaxing. If it becomes stressful, I'd do something else...

Mike

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 03:33 PM

I'm in college...I've lived weeks off of beer and pizza alone!

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 04:45 PM

Sounds like a perfect regatta diet!

Mike

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
IMHO can't beat a good old coleman camping stove for value. there are better built and cheaper ones but these are a great compromise

they aren't very heavy at all and the ones with wind walls make a huge difference in cooking time if there is any wind

+1. Got a two burner (with wind guard) that came with legs so I can cook standing up.

The little propane canisters are good for short trips, and you can plug in the big momma canister for longer stays.

And it really works well to heat up water when the power is out for days... like after Wilma tore through our county.

Fill up the lobster pot and heat to steaming. Mix with cool water and you got one nice hot bath/shower (more water than those solar H20 things, but they work well in concert, too)

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 05:25 PM

I use my coleman stove for melting lead.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 05:41 PM

sounds like a fun camping pastime smile

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 09:32 PM

I use mine on my patio with my cast iron pan when I cook fish so i don't stink up the house
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/24/14 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
I don't bother with a tent unless I'm going to be set up for at least three days. I like plenty of room so that I keep things organized and not feel claustrophobic in bad weather. http://store.eurekatent.com/copper-canyon-12-person-tent I've found a small fan run on D cell batteries is very helpful.

When traveling I often use KOA cabins. https://www.google.com/search?q=koa...mp;ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=632

A TENT that retails for $449? Dude, you're rich! So you pay your fair share then?
Posted By: Ron Holm

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/28/14 12:49 AM

Another Eagle Scout here!

I gave up on Tents years ago.. In my scout troop we 'backpacked' every month of the year.. Light gear was required, and we got tired of tents.. Ran into guys just doing the bivy sack thing and thought we were cool.. Then we discovered Hammocks long before they were cool, and never looked back..

No more sleeping on the ground.. I have a really nice Hennessy Hammock.. Fits me and the wife quite comfortably! But if the weather is nice I often just break out an old king size bedsheet.. Just tie some old line with a..... wait for it... Sheetbend... and you are good to go... I have an old pup tent fly to string over the bedsheet. The Hennessy has a sweet setup with fly, bug screen, ect..

No more sleeping on the rocks on the ground for me.. You will always find me high and dry.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/28/14 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MN3

I have a Coleman stove as well, the one that runs off the liquid, probably 30 years old. I recently saw some youtube video on the flammability of that liquid, wow, how many times I could blown myself up.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/28/14 07:55 PM

it's not blowing yourself up that's the issue. it's whether you get it on youtube or not
Posted By: C2 Mike

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/29/14 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by PurdueZach
Hello everyone, this summer I'm going to as many regattas as I can. CRAM is probably the closest to me. I'm from Indianapolis so Michigan regattas will be a 5 or 7 hour drive usually. I'm wondering if you guys could share with me what your camping setup usually is or what you've seen from others....

I'm planning on bringing a tent and just camping out of my car. I'm an Eagle Scout and I have all of the necessary camping equipment. Caseville 1 and 2 are at a state park so we will be at campsites. Some of the other regattas will be at different yacht clubs where we will camp on their grounds.

Since I was a kid, I always thought these rooftop tents were awesome. Surely it is way overkill but has anyone ever seen one of these at a regatta campsite?
[Linked Image]

Ummm.... wow..... That's just asking for a broken leg first time somebody stepped out to water the bushes after a 1/2 way big night on the ale's

If it's just you, go for one of these:

[Linked Image].

Takes about 1 min to set up and really you just need a "roof" over your head for a few nights smile
Posted By: jollyrodgers

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/30/14 05:00 PM

[Linked Image]
The US has changed quite a bit for the Vanagon to be taken off the market.
A very useful regatta vehicle if you aren't in a hurry.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/30/14 05:12 PM

Those things are $Priceless$

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/30/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by P.M.

They are great. The last modern generation of those (watercooled) are a little better suited to towing, though.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 04/30/14 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by P.M.

They are great. The last modern generation of those (watercooled) are a little better suited to towing, though.

Had the Eurovan camper for awhile. Had some odd problems but was good for it's intent.Like an RV once you got it set-up you probably weren't going anywhere, unlike an RV you had to switch modes from sleeping to cooking/standing and there wasn't much storage space, but you could park it anywhere you can park a normal fullsize vehicle. They aren't cheap though. Got a 28' RV for 1/2 what it cost, when I sold it.
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 05/01/14 10:27 AM

Why don't you practice at your home port?

At the Hobie Indiana State Championships in 1983, we arrived early Friday afternoon at Eagle Ocean and pitched our tents. My sailing partner and I carried our own small tents just in case we got lucky. We hit the Friday night party hard. When Tim (very hair challenged) crawled out of his tent in the morning he announced to the world, "My hair hurts". Rick and Mary were probably witnesses.

The forecast was for a low in the high 70's and a high of 103. Does the no swimming rule still apply? It was miserable.

The next year we stayed in a Holiday Inn.

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 05/01/14 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jkkartz1
Why don't you practice at your home port?

At the Hobie Indiana State Championships in 1983, we arrived early Friday afternoon at Eagle Ocean and pitched our tents. My sailing partner and I carried our own small tents just in case we got lucky. We hit the Friday night party hard. When Tim (very hair challenged) crawled out of his tent in the morning he announced to the world, "My hair hurts". Rick and Mary were probably witnesses.

The forecast was for a low in the high 70's and a high of 103. Does the no swimming rule still apply? It was miserable.

The next year we stayed in a Holiday Inn.

Eagle Ocean is a great home port! Wonderful mast up spots. My only gripe is that there isn't any organization of the catamaran group at all. I'm working with some folks to bring the fleet back together. There are probably 60 boats out there each summer that have spots but recently everyone has been doing their own thing.

The no swimming rule does still exist. There's also a no drinking rule too...you can imagine how those are followed. We lock the gate at the top of the hill so that it takes more time for the ranger or police to get down to us. By then we are conveniently out sailing the lake! And they can't catch us with their motor boats (10hp limit on the lake)!

Re: First regattas - camping setup - 05/02/14 12:35 PM

just came across these, they look cool (might make for some great comedy watching rummed up sailors trying to get in these at 3am)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
https://roadtrippers.com/blog/ground-suckers-awesome-tents-portable-tree-forts
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums