Catsailor.com

Florida 300 Race Updates

Posted By: cyberspeed

Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:55 AM

Set Up Day for the Inaugural Florida 300

[Linked Image]
Photo Credit: Mike Shappell (TMS 20)

Registration for the Florida 300 Endurance Catamaran Race is complete and 12 boats will take the start of the inaugural event. The start is at the Islander Resort, mile marker 82.1, Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL. tomorrow at 10:00 am.

Today captain, crew, and support staff worked on rigging and race setup on their high speed sail boats. Much time was spent focusing on dialing in and fine tuning all the many adjustments that a modern racing catamaran can take advantage of. This is where experience, local knowledge, recommendations, and luck all come into play.

The race is a four day event with stops at some of the nicest beaches in Florida.

Race Schedule:
Race Day 1, May 19 – Islamorada to Key Biscayne;
Race Day 2, May 20 – Key Biscayne to Palm Beach Shores;
Race Day 3, May 21 – Palm Beach Shores to Vero Beach;
Race Day 4, May 22 – Vero Beach to Cocoa Beach

Today some of the boats went out for a shakedown run to make sure all systems worked. Winds were ENE around 22mph, seas around 2-5 feet inside the reef. The winds are expected to stay the same for the next few days. The sun is out and temperature will be in the mid 80’s showcasing the great Florida weather.

The first Florida 300 will be an exciting race with expected wind and sea conditions to test the skill and stamina of the sailors and boats at the upper end of their skill level. There will be three classes: open class, I-20 class, and F-18 class. The skill level in the race is varied from teams with no extreme distance races to teams with numerous Tybee 500 and Worrell 1000 finishes.

The entire race will be tracked using Kattack "Live" software. Each boat is equipped with a satellite tracking device that transmits each boats location every ten minutes. There will be monitors at each finishing point so race committee, crew and spectators can watch the race unfold.

For a complete entry list and the latest updates please check out www.Florida300.com and "Like" www.Facebook.com/Florida300.
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:00 PM

Wind conditions for leg 1 look pretty brutal. Should be interesting to see whether boats go out in the gulf stream or not. I'm guessing a big benefit for the current, but not sure if the waves would offset that.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by rehmbo
Wind conditions for leg 1 look pretty brutal. Should be interesting to see whether boats go out in the gulf stream or not. I'm guessing a big benefit for the current, but not sure if the waves would offset that.

I'm seeing 15 - 20 right now out of the north east....noaa has it a little more east (which would be better for them). I wouldn't call that "brutal"...more like a short day! Tracker still shows a bunch of them on the beach...are they delayed for some reason?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:16 PM

heading NE into a ENE @ 20+ knots. Man... thats not looking like a lot of fun.

A lot of sore grinder arms tonight....

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

I'm seeing 15 - 20 right now out of the north east....noaa has it a little more east (which would be better for them). I wouldn't call that "brutal"...more like a short day! Tracker still shows a bunch of them on the beach...are they delayed for some reason?

Jake,

It looks fun, but remember they're heading to key biscayne, not hollywood. So to me it looks like its going to be a tough beat turning into a short reach.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided

Jake,

It looks fun, but remember they're heading to key biscayne, not hollywood. So to me it looks like its going to be a tough beat turning into a short reach.

I haven't studied the weather but Noaa is saying it should go more east...hopefully they may have to tack a time or two early today - but it's probably going to be a little more direct after noon. That wind direction should also keep the Biscayne Bay washing machine on low.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:37 PM

boat speeds are around 6 knots...so it can't be that windy at the moment....edit; 6mph at Molasses Reef out the East (which is a great direction...only if it goes north of NE does it start to really be a slog.)

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:43 PM

looking at their vectors, I'm betting a few guys are trying to tight reach with kites.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:46 PM

Marspeed's spot hasn't transmitted in like 45 minutes...

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:47 PM

looking at their vectors, I'm betting a few guys are trying to tight reach with kites.

Then the tiger is laughing to the bank.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:48 PM

looks like Key Sailing has launched ahead on the Carbon 20 (as should be expected). I'm guessing from their track that they headed out a bit on what appears to be close hauled on port and then put up their kite to reach back down. They won't be able to hold that kite angle for too long though.

I wish the tracker would extrapolate positions but it doesn't. It just shows the last known location but given that one tracker may not have updated in the last 5 minutes over the other one, the map is a little inaccurate.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 02:56 PM

Looking at the vectors, all of the F18's are pointed a solid 10degrees higher than the I20's. Pretty telling.

Wish Marspeed's tracker was working....

Both Waveyhaven and Keysailing and royal yellow updated simultaneously, and it looks like they're pretty neck and neck...

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 03:06 PM

don't do it Todd! Don't go for the stream! It never works! The fee you have to pay to get back to the beach is just too much.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 03:22 PM

WE HAVE A RACE!
All boats are off, the race was delayed about 15 minutes to get all boats through the one ramp. One of the trackers are not posting now but hopefully will catch up.

We are in route to Key Biscayne. We are the RC tracker. Entering Tavenier Key, we saw the boats off to our right.

Bret's tracker is in a small pelican case in a net bag on the deck near the rear beam. I told him where I wanted it on the rotation limiter arm where we have put it in the past and he did not feel comfortable with it there. So we compromised.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 03:27 PM

OK, whew...he dropped his course back down and is still inside the reef. Looks like the Brothers Ding's (Solar Wind) tracker isn't updating either.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 03:28 PM

Marspeed did update and it looks like they're neck and neck with Key Sailing on the CF20. That should be an interesting battle.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 03:31 PM

OK, whew...he dropped his course back down and is still inside the reef. Looks like the Brothers Ding's (Solar Wind) tracker isn't updating either.

I think Todd might catch some people on his tack back in - but he has a lot of ground to cover... there seems to be a great line close to shore that Royal White and Yellow were using for a while.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 04:09 PM

TMS 20 is Race Committee helping with photo/video. He said it was a good thing the race is during the WORK week so yall can all follow it.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 04:16 PM

Speed is kicking up... Key Sailing is up to 12knots. They're getting better angles now.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 04:45 PM

Team Solar Wind's tracker is updating again - the boys are near the front!
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 05:04 PM

looks like the RC won that leg.

Which hasn't always been the case... I recall one of the W-1000 when a few competitors beat the RC to the beach?

I think there might have been one Hiram's where the boats beat the RC to Hiram's too...

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 05:44 PM

Man the F18's look like they just had to tack away while the M20 and the N20c are just pinchin away at around 7knots. Looks like Brett and JC are out in front at this point.
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 05:51 PM

I hope they keep a close eye on the shadows close to the finish.

Great White Katherine
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 06:13 PM

If it's blowing 18-20 why are they only going 7 knots? Would think they could be going 12-14 unless we go slower than I thought we did.
Looks like the first leg of the last Tybee... I think we hit the beach at 7:30... miserable way to start! Even Mischa said he would be okay if it was over after that first day.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail7
If it's blowing 18-20 why are they only going 7 knots? Would think they could be going 12-14 unless we go slower than I thought we did.
Looks like the first leg of the last Tybee... I think we hit the beach at 7:30... miserable way to start! Even Mischa said he would be okay if it was over after that first day.

Todd, looking at the weather report, the big wind isn't supposed to hit until 3pm (still a bit away). At Key Biscayne right now I'm showing 6knots from the NNE.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 06:47 PM

Todd, looking at the weather report, the big wind isn't supposed to hit until 3pm (still a bit away). At Key Biscayne right now I'm showing 6knots from the NNE.

I've been getting really strange "data" from Molasses reef this morning too. I would see 6 and then jump into the historical chart and see it at 18 (sustained to current). Didn't have much time to dig into it deeper. Clearly, it's not that windy out there right now.

They've probably got another four hours to go. I remember that last Tybee 1st leg - I didn't wear enough gear and got hypothermic on that long upwind slog.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 06:47 PM

Sam Carter said it was blowing almost 20 at the start.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 06:52 PM

I've been getting really strange "data" from Molasses reef this morning too. I would see 6 and then jump into the historical chart and see it at 18 (sustained to current). Didn't have much time to dig into it deeper. Clearly, it's not that windy out there right now.

They've probably got another four hours to go. I remember that last Tybee 1st leg - I didn't wear enough gear and got hypothermic on that long upwind slog.

From what I tell the front runners should be finishing within half that time. Remember they don't have to go past all of Miami this time smile

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 06:58 PM

This is not 20.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_181907443895774g2.gif

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 06:59 PM

From what I tell the front runners should be finishing within half that time. Remember they don't have to go past all of Miami this time smile

Yeah, a little less than that I suppose. They're 2/3 of the way there and have been running almost 5 hours. Another 2.5 hours for the front if things remain steady.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 07:04 PM

This is not 20.

[Linked Image]

Thats 40knots if you're used to sailing on the Chesapeake bay :P

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 07:13 PM

Yeah, a little less than that I suppose. They're 2/3 of the way there and have been running almost 5 hours. Another 2.5 hours for the front if things remain steady.

Well the wind is supposed to increase and the angle to the finish is a lot better. They shouldn't need to tack nearly as much - thus better VMG.

I'm thinking about a 4:30PM finish.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 07:26 PM

Where in the heck is Royal White going? They're cutting inside through Broad Creek. The water can't be rough enough to want to get inside to flat water - and I can't imagine that's a better angle...some sort of problem?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 07:28 PM

Maybe they felt like pulling off a patented Larry Ferber Beer Run (Patent Pending)?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 07:50 PM

Well the wind is supposed to increase and the angle to the finish is a lot better. They shouldn't need to tack nearly as much - thus better VMG.

Ooof. Good call. Marspeed just kicked it up a big notch now that they could crack off.

On another note - that C20 doesn't appear to have the foiling package on it. Was that a spoof?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 07:59 PM

Ooof. Good call. Marspeed just kicked it up a big notch now that they could crack off.

On another note - that C20 doesn't appear to have the foiling package on it. Was that a spoof?

I'm pretty sure that Kirk's Carbon 20 is not the fully foiling variety. The V-tips would be quite a chore to beach launch and land methinks.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 08:06 PM

Looks like Marspeed is on the beach, or very close to it now.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 08:23 PM

I'm pretty sure that Kirk's Carbon 20 is not the fully foiling variety. The V-tips would be quite a chore to beach launch and land methinks.

Originally Posted by catandahalf
Key Sailing, on Pensacola Beach, should be test flying the new kit on Kirk's N 20 C by mid summer. Call Kirk or Charlie for information. They will be hosting their annual Midwinter Championship next weekend, and I bet we will know more by the time the regatta is over.

Looks like it would be mid-summer before the full foiling conversion.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 08:34 PM

I think it would be helpful for online spectator/wannabes like me if they put which boat they were on in their tracking name, such as "Key Sailing - Nacra C20". Is there anyway to post who is on what, or is it posted somewhere else?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 08:36 PM

Check the top right of the main Florida 300 page
http://www.florida300.com/florida300
or the entry list here
http://www.florida300.com/entry
Posted By: tback

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Redtwin
I think it would be helpful for online spectator/wannabes like me if they put which boat they were on in their tracking name, such as "Key Sailing - Nacra C20". Is there anyway to post who is on what, or is it posted somewhere else?

-->HERE<--
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 09:51 PM

it was 14-28 on sat in dunedin
it was 15-25(ish) yesterday here too
it was 7-20(ish) today here

if the wind is anything similar (and since we are under the same bermuda high pushing east ....) it was probably light, and getting gusty in the afternoon

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 10:22 PM

Royal White is out of the race. Crew had severe cramping. Knot 2 Slow still out there. Unfortunately it's the only tracker not updating.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 10:37 PM

Last Boat in sight!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/19/14 11:16 PM

All Boats are in
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 02:51 AM

Maybe you armchair sailors should actually go out sailing.

@Tad, I sail in places beside the Chesapeake. Come talk to me after you've gotten a new boat and done Catacup. Today was much tougher than any leg in the last Tybee 500, 5'+ swells w/ confused chop on top in big breeze.

It was gusting to 27 on Saturday at Molasses Reef.
It was gusting to 25 on Sunday at the dock at the Islander according to the anemometer, with sustained 23.
It was blowing closer to 18 at the start today. Both the M20 and the F20C went off on port tack, everyone else started on starboard. No one was tacking out and hoisting a kite at any point today. It was FULL breeze on, 23 gusting 25 at Fowey Rock when the teams went past (just in case my Chesapeake Bay wind readings aren't good enough: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=fwyf1). Everyone is wiped, tomorrows forecast is for more 20+ kt condition but at close reaching angles. I expect the kites will remain in the bag until Wednesday or Thursday.

Finish order:
M20
F20C
Waveyhaven on the ex. Ronstan Rocket F18 Infusion, in touch with the F20C
Royal Yellow, N20
Ding, F18 C2
SMS Racing, Chris & H.M N20, Open 20 sail plan
Turtle Mojo, Dick & Mark, Cirrus R F18
Team Cat Fever, Todd Hart & Dalton, C2 F18 (my boys forgot to do their P.T before committing to the race).

Not sure who came in after that, the Hobie Tiger I believe was last to the beach. Royal White sailed the same distance but to Hobie Beach for a pullout due to illness.

Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 03:02 AM

He's such a sensitive boy.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 03:09 AM

I'm confused....Sam is racing in the Florida 300?...and Catacup?
Yes, I'm a little more than "arm chair" after doing 2 Tybees and 11 GT300's (one of which had us beam reaching in 35-40 knots of breeze on the 105 mile leg, which broke apart more than a handful of boats).
It was FULL breeze on, 23 gusting 25 at Fowey Rock when the teams went past

That's no Bay Sailing Cake Walk for sure but not the crisis you think it is.

He's such a hyper-sensitive cry baby.

Fixed it for ya.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:51 AM

Below are the race results:

Day 1 Race Results >>>
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 10:56 AM

OK b!tches it wasn't blowing that hard and it was quite pleasant at the start. But the chop was relentless and it appeared to pay if you worked the shore and flatter water. As the day wore on the breeze picked up. Plus the route presented some interesting obstacles. The washing machine coming out of Biscane Bay was not fun and seemed to go on forever. Oh the wind never came off the nose for us. We didn't have to tack as much but it was still a grind and the chop was relentless, not brutal by any stretch it just ground you down.

Tomorrow is another day and we're showing breeze so grandpa needs to sleep now.

Later B!tches

Edit; I fell asleep before I hit the send button and I didn't finish is my beer...damnit!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 11:26 AM

My crew (brother bob) and his support staff will be posting go pro footage from yesterday later today. It's a bit boring because grandpa is driving but it's something to do besides working. Go to solarwind.solar for the video links. All feedback on form and execution will noted and put to good use. Mr. Jay I'm looking forward to your feedback the most :-)

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by samc99us

@Tad, I sail in places beside the Chesapeake. Come talk to me after you've gotten a new boat and done Catacup. Today was much tougher than any leg in the last Tybee 500, 5'+ swells w/ confused chop on top in big breeze.

It was gusting to 25 on Sunday at the dock at the Islander according to the anemometer, with sustained 23.
It was blowing closer to 18 at the start today. Both the M20 and the F20C went off on port tack, everyone else started on starboard. No one was tacking out and hoisting a kite at any point today. It was FULL breeze on, 23 gusting 25 at Fowey Rock when the teams went past (just in case my Chesapeake Bay wind readings aren't good enough: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=fwyf1). Everyone is wiped, tomorrows forecast is for more 20+ kt condition but at close reaching angles. I expect the kites will remain in the bag until Wednesday or Thursday.

Ummmm...yeah. Remind me how many Tybee 500's you sailed in? Kid needs to learn some manners. Besides, it was only a 55 mile leg, you sailed half of it inside the reef, and there are two 65 year old dudes in this thing that aren't complaining (wait, how old is Ding again?).

You also need to remember that the only data we have is a tracker that pings every 10 minutes or so. They were showing between 6 and 7 knots of boat speed so either there was a lot of tacking going on that the pinger wasn't capturing at that resolution or something. Sorry you had a tough day, cupcake.

Posted By: brucat

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by cyberspeed
All Boats are in

For any regatta organizer, that is the best news at the end of the day. Great job Craig (and team), looking forward to a great remainder of the regatta.

Obviously, great job by all the competitors as well. I hope the illness isn't serious.

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 12:17 PM

Sam, let us not get into a dick measuring contest here. While I'm fairly confident in my sailing resume (most of being outside beach cats FWIW) versus yours - I'm even more sure that it pales in comparison to Jakes and other commenters here.

Sack up son - that was only 55 miles. I've done that upwind slog in chop for 120miles from Jupiter to Cocoa. That was pretty tough too.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
My crew (brother bob) and his support staff will be posting go pro footage from yesterday later today. It's a bit boring because grandpa is driving but it's something to do besides working. Go to solarwind.solar for the video links. All feedback on form and execution will noted and put to good use. Mr. Jay I'm looking forward to your feedback the most :-)

"Live feed from Google Glass"!? Dude, your brother is a grade A geek. Awesome.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 01:25 PM

OK guys - I used the word 'brutal' that started this pissing contest. Not being there it was probably a mistake.

I had seen a wind forecast of 20+kts out of the NNE, took a look at the map and decided it would be a very tough uphill slog in reasonably large waves. That in conjunction with rip current warnings for Miami Beach prompted the 'B' word. I am sure there have been worse conditions.

FWIW, today looks great. Wind direction should be ENE at around 17kts.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 01:41 PM

OK guys - I used the word 'brutal' that started this pissing contest. Not being there it was probably a mistake.

I had seen a wind forecast of 20+kts out of the NNE, took a look at the map and decided it would be a very tough uphill slog in reasonably large waves. That in conjunction with rip current warnings for Miami Beach prompted the 'B' word. I am sure there have been worse conditions.

FWIW, today looks great. Wind direction should be ENE at around 17kts.

Nah, that's not what started that - Sam's demeanor was the issue. It does appear that it was a much rougher day than was indicated by tracker speed and some of the (irregular) wind data I saw. I might even agree that it was "brutal"...but it was most certainly not the worst sailing day in Tybee 500 history.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 02:36 PM

Looks like they're off. Kirk is hauling the mail at 12knots while Marspeed's tracker is of course, not updating :P

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 02:41 PM

Looks like the breeze is about 12mph and is going to stay steady out of the NE for most of today building up to 18mph around 5pm. Should be pretty close to a one tack day but close hauled and double trapped. With the day they had yesterday, those without really comfortable trapeze systems are going to be certainly feeling it tonight after two days of upwind trapeze work. Hopefully they're taking steps to make sure they stay fed and hydrated on the wire - this is really important when you have subsequent days with extended trapeze work.

Given the wind forcast for today, I would expect the teams to stay very tight to the beach just outside the sandbars and breaking surf so they can get the advantage of a little more easterly angle on the breeze (the breeze will likely bend a little more northerly further off the shore line). It will be an upwind drag race and the semi-lifting foils on the Marstrom (Marspeed) and the Nacra Carbon 20 (Key Sailing) should provide a nice speed advantage today. Boat speed will be king today and most of that will come from the fine trimming of the main sail through the gusts and waves to keep a hull flying and the sails efficient through the air. The F18 is pretty refined for upwind work compared to the older sail and hull shapes on the Nacra 20. We should see the Marstrom/Carbon 20, F18s, and Nacra 20s hit the beach in roughly this order today.

The wind should clock further east over the next couple of days. They may be able to use their spinnakers some tomorrow. That leg to Vero Beach should be really quick.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 03:28 PM

All 11 boats are off. Two Spots not tracking. There was a bit of a tangle at the start but no casualties. We will try and post the footage. Lighter day today and was able to fly the drone. No tacking needed today.

Tracking Link:
http://kws.kattack.com/GEPlayer/GMPosDisplay.aspx?FeedID=1234

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:09 PM

Aching for some photos/video!

Armchair sailing stinks!!!!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:20 PM

Looking at the reported speeds. The N20's and F18's are around 11, 12 knots.

N20C - 17.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:23 PM

There was a bit of a tangle at the start but no casualties.

Craig, standing by if needed. Will be a great excuse not to cut the grass tonight...

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:41 PM

The Nacra 20s (non carbon variety) seem to be holding their own upwind...interesting.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:43 PM

N20C - 17.

Wish we could see what the Marstrom is doing.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by bacho

N20C - 17.

Wish we could see what the Marstrom is doing.

I'm thinking the spots only transmit location data and the software interpolates speed and heading? Maybe? If that's the case, the speed data may be off quite a bit from boat to boat.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 04:46 PM

Props to Gramps on somewhat 'trying' conditions. Definitely needs a gimbaled cupholder on shroud.

With the ENE conditions the past few days, I would suspect that the surf around Jupiter/northward might be a bit challenging? I know Stuart used to get nice 6 foot lefties after a decent blow which made windsurfing fun.

JC and a few other notables know that one T-500 Jensen Beach start that was "spicey" due to rollers and light E wind.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Props to Gramps on somewhat 'trying' conditions. Definitely needs a gimbaled cupholder on shroud.

With the ENE conditions the past few days, I would suspect that the surf around Jupiter/northward might be a bit challenging? I know Stuart used to get nice 6 foot lefties after a decent blow which made windsurfing fun.

JC and a few other notables know that one T-500 Jensen Beach start that was "spicey" due to rollers and light E wind.

It was Jupiter Beach that had a crashtastic start during a Tybee. The well known Jensen Beach calamity was during a Worrell event.
Posted By: h18catsailor

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 05:51 PM

Looks like "Knot 2 slow" is heading toward the beach....

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 06:15 PM

The race committee tracker is apparently on a bit of an errand run. After a short stop at Publics (or, perhaps, lunch at Pascalli's), they're headed south on Seminole Pratt Whitney Rd well inland.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by h18catsailor
Looks like "Knot 2 slow" is heading toward the beach....

Oooo...dead downwind too and not the shortest route to the beach. Reported speed is 0.5 knots - rig problem? (that was the Tiger F18 I believe)

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 06:38 PM

Actually, I think that's the clothing optional beach. Maybe just a pit stop..?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 06:44 PM

hmmm... forecast shows 3-4 foot swell (12s period) with light chop. Tide's running out, which shouldn't cause too many problems with beaching at Riviera, right?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 06:54 PM

hmmm... forecast shows 3-4 foot swell (12s period) with light chop. Tide's running out, which shouldn't cause too many problems with beaching at Riviera, right?

Surf forecast is for 1 to 2' - so not bad...should be navigable although if they had rig problems, it could be a bit of a liability coming through the surf.

Tracker shows them on the beach now.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 07:41 PM

dang...was news this hard to come by during the Tybee 500s?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 07:47 PM

Jake,

I think that during the T500 early on digital reporting was still in its infancy, but I'd like to think that at least you and me were doing our best to make sure that we had a digital footprint during the race.

Its also easy for us to complain - remember how hectic the crews are... sitting here we think that they're lounging on the beach.

I still think its necessary to have a dedicated media person on the teams.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 07:49 PM

Sorry I could not be reporting on the event ala W1000 and Tybee in the past, but had to be here at PIBYC for the Memorial Services as Vice Commodore.., I will be ringing the bell for each name that passed a way this year.

Hopefully, this will be a regular yearly and I can get back into it.
Rick

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 07:54 PM

Jake,

I think that during the T500 early on digital reporting was still in its infancy, but I'd like to think that at least you and me were doing our best to make sure that we had a digital footprint during the race.

Its also easy for us to complain - remember how hectic the crews are... sitting here we think that they're lounging on the beach.

I still think its necessary to have a dedicated media person on the teams.

Oh, I know - and I understand. I've just never looked at it from this side of the window.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:03 PM

Are you guys not watching the live view? Royal Yellow just hit the beach.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:07 PM

Having Rick and Bonnie involved made a huge difference in the reporting.
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:10 PM

According to my beach cam, they are all sitting at the closest tiki hut drinking rummies...

Looks like the first to finish was a wave - http://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/palmbeach/

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:11 PM

Actually there goes royal yellow - http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/pics/s16/may0414l/y201559w.jpg

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:12 PM

Looks like 2 boats on the beach - http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/pics/s4/may1914x/y201555p.jpg

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by mikekrantz

hey! cool...here's a vid of newkirk coming in.

http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/pics/v18/may1414l/y201601e.mp4

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:25 PM

Here is a replay of Royal Yellow beaching.
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/8447390/events/2994520/videos/51516210

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:35 PM

Dedicated media for the OA and each of the teams is just what the big boys use (AC, VOR), etc. Put it on the lessons learned report / wish list for next year.

Hopefully, Craig and company can drum up enough resources, sponsors, etc. after running a great inaugural this year. Maybe we can get him some help.

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 08:53 PM

Oh, I know - and I understand. I've just never looked at it from this side of the window.

and since you'll be in it next year, you won't HAVE to look at it from this side of the window for long smile

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 09:38 PM

Finishing order:
Marspeed
Key Sailing
Royal Yellow
Royal Orange
Cat Fever
Waveyhaven
SolarWind
SMS Racing
Turtle Mojo

All boats in except the Knot 2 slow. They dismasted, floated into Pompano Beach. The Boat is on the trailer, heading to Palm Beach Shores.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/20/14 11:55 PM

Looks like the breeze is about 12mph and is going to stay steady out of the NE for most of today building up to 18mph around 5pm. Should be pretty close to a one tack day but close hauled and double trapped. With the day they had yesterday, those without really comfortable trapeze systems are going to be certainly feeling it tonight after two days of upwind trapeze work. Hopefully they're taking steps to make sure they stay fed and hydrated on the wire - this is really important when you have subsequent days with extended trapeze work.

Given the wind forcast for today, I would expect the teams to stay very tight to the beach just outside the sandbars and breaking surf so they can get the advantage of a little more easterly angle on the breeze (the breeze will likely bend a little more northerly further off the shore line). It will be an upwind drag race and the semi-lifting foils on the Marstrom (Marspeed) and the Nacra Carbon 20 (Key Sailing) should provide a nice speed advantage today. Boat speed will be king today and most of that will come from the fine trimming of the main sail through the gusts and waves to keep a hull flying and the sails efficient through the air. The F18 is pretty refined for upwind work compared to the older sail and hull shapes on the Nacra 20. We should see the Marstrom/Carbon 20, F18s, and Nacra 20s hit the beach in roughly this order today.

The wind should clock further east over the next couple of days. They may be able to use their spinnakers some tomorrow. That leg to Vero Beach should be really quick.

Its like you where here.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 12:01 AM

The Nacra 20s (non carbon variety) seem to be holding their own upwind...interesting.

It was a mix of on the nose and slightly cracked off negating the the upwind edge the F18s seem to have.

Yes the harness was an issue today, I like my goodall but not for 6 hours in one go.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 12:11 PM

The forecast has been changing quite a bit for today but the best I can tell is that the trapeze harness soreness isn't going to get much of a break today. Soreness is going to be moving out of the way to make room for more soreness as I would expect teams to continue the double trapeze work as they make their way to Vero Beach. At this point, sailors will feel the harness straps every time the boat comes off a wave and staying focused on boat speed and in rhythm with the wind and waves will be just a little bit harder. We will probably see the more experienced distance racing veterans have a little edge in this regard today but I guarantee you that they are grumbling about the upwind work as much as anyone.

Food and water, food and water - even though it's difficult to eat and drink from the wire, it's so critically important to keep to a food and water regimen when you are trapping repeatedly so you can enhance your body's ability to physically recover. The hand swelling is probably kicking in pretty good this morning for the folks that have the mainsheet in their hands during the day. The combination of the persistent sheet loads and constant salt water soaking is taking a toll on the muscles, tendons, and skin. They're probably sitting a breakfast right now noting how they are unable to make a closed fist due to the swelling. You always think that the condition of your hands will be a big deal during the day but once you punch through the surf and make that left turn, you never think about it again until the next morning. Note to ground crews; an ice bucket from the room filled with icy water is good on the hands at the finish line each day and helps keep the swelling down a little.

It initially appeared as if the wind would start to become a little more southerly today perhaps giving an opportunity for the spinnakers to come out for some of today's trip. As we zoom into the forecast this morning, the southerly angle is gone and it looks very similar to what we've seen the last two days with ~maybe~ a little more easterly. As was the case yesterday, there probably won't be enough wind angle start thinking about spinnakers today. I've got my fingers crossed that they get a little more angle on the breeze allowing the teams to get the kites out and change their positions around on the boats a little but it's a pretty slim chance. The teams will likely start in a moderate 10mph breeze that will increase as a little sea breeze starts to circulate between 11am and 4pm. Because the humidity is relatively low, there won't be a huge sea breeze but there will be enough that the teams will continue to stick close to shore to take advantage of another click or two of breeze and just a little better wind angle. Wave height should be a manageable 3 feet but still making the crew work on the main sheet ever important to keep the boat on it's toes.

The surf on the beach is decent but they will have enough wind to punch through and it should be a tidy and pretty start to watch. Hopefully Team Solar Wind will post some additional video of the start - they had a great video of a little calamity of yesterday's start at http://www.solarwind.solar/ David pointed out yesterday that the cracked off angle let the Nacra 20s start to stretch their legs. We'll see more of that again today - perhaps even a little more. Finishing order should be the Marstrom/Nacra Carbon20, Nacra20s, F18s but it's still up to the sailors to keep the bows down and boats hauling.

On a personal note, I'm really missing not partaking in this event. It hasn't been an "ideal" wind angle so far in this race but they've certainly had wind. I remember a Tybee I raced in (no idea which one) where the spinnaker came out of the bag once for about 10 minutes during the entire 500 mile trip and we got kinda sick of looking at the snuffer with the kite still in it after days of upwind and reaching work. This looks like it will be a very similar event and the teams will universally share a great sense of accomplishment when they slide into Cocoa Beach tomorrow evening (and boat owners will rejoice at the lack of wear and tear on their kites).

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 12:54 PM

The more I look at the forecast, I'm starting to really question how/when/if the sea breeze will get going today. They could have spots of lightish 10mph wind during the day or it could be breezy the whole way to Vero Beach. My best guess is 10 at the start building to 14 for a short while between 12 and 2pm and probably dropping back to 10 as they approach Vero. If it does get to the lighter end of the forecast, it might pay to keep an eye out for patterns in the breeze near the shore because the sea breeze may sputter. They're going to be right on shore anyway so it's not going to be a game of big breaking decisions but I would look for any difference in the breeze strength and angle right at the surf line, 100, 200, and 300 yards off the beach to make sure you are positioned for the best wind. When the seabreeze is getting started, it usually starts right in the surf line but it can sometimes do weird things and start affecting the surface wind for a short streak 100 yards or more off the beach and not make it to the surf. Also watch the position of any other team that looks like they may have hold of a better line of wind. Always keep in mind who has the most experience in those conditions and watch them closely - but don't always assume that they have the best plan.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 01:06 PM

Sails are going up. (you'll have to click on the link and zoom in)
http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/pics/s4/may2114a/y210853e.jpg

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 01:08 PM

Here's what Wind Alert has to say about it, put in Vero Beach, then click on any reported spot and then click 'forecast'. Vero Beach looks like east at 10 building to 13 later today, but tomorrow looks really light.

http://www.windalert.com/

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 01:13 PM

Trackers are active. Looks like they're lined up.

On a personal note, I'm really missing not partaking in this event.

Me too my friend. Me too.
Posted By: tshan

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 01:31 PM

29 seconds elapsed between the first and second F18 yesterday after 6+ hours of racing.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by tshan
29 seconds elapsed between the first and second F18 yesterday after 6+ hours of racing.

It can be crazy how tight it can be. We had a leg into Cocoa several years ago that went from 10am to 3am the next day. The night sky was completely overcast and we sailed all that darkness only seeing a boat once at around midnight. It was Jamie Livingston and we almost collided 1 mile offshore with our kites up as he flashed across our bow out of the complete blackness (not a good time for us to own a dark blue boat). As we were about an hour away from the finish, a hole in the clouds opened up and the moon allowed us to see FOUR boats right with us. We crossed into the surf line overlapped with Team Tygart at about 2:30am after 16.5 hours of racing.

That was also the finish where one of the ground crew members was in the surf to "help" the boats in (it was blowing 12 and we were sailing in with kites up...no help needed). Someone on the beach, obviously concerned for that person's well being, lit up the person with a spot light but also hit me in my very dark adjusted eyes with the beam. Blinded (and a bit confused at what just happened) I lost my bearings with the waves and let one accelerate under the stern driving the bow hard into the sand. Frank and I both were thrown from the boat but our sharp (and sober) ground crew caught the boat before it flipped.

We've also seen an entire race win come down to 10 seconds after 500 miles.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:07 PM

Whats the story on the Tiger? Were they able to piece things back together? Tracker seems to have been turned off yesterday PM.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:07 PM

Just wanted Brother Ding's livestream feed. First wave of boat left on starboard tack and some struggled through the surf. Ding opted to let the stragglers go past and go out on port on a much better angle. They punched out rather easily and turned just outside the surf while others in the first tier launch struggled mightly in the surf on starboard tack.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:25 PM

Just wanted Brother Ding's livestream feed. First wave of boat left on starboard tack and some struggled through the surf. Ding opted to let the stragglers go past and go out on port on a much better angle. They punched out rather easily and turned just outside the surf while others in the first tier launch struggled mightly in the surf on starboard tack.

Port was definitely the right call.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:27 PM

Marspeed is way back in the fleet according the tracker - that lightweight Marstrom probably had intertia issues trying to get through that surf on starboard.
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:33 PM

Excellent vids by brother Bob! Really miss Bonnie and Rick, Im sure Craig is probably a little too busy to report every 2 minutes like we need it...
Jakes investigative work on the RC tracker is impressive, hope they pull into the Asian massage parlor on 95, not that I would know anything about that

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:35 PM

Capt Kirk still rocking it out, his liver and his sailing is legendary!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:40 PM

Capt Kirk still rocking it out, his liver and his sailing is legendary!

I still don't know how science can explain Capt Kirk's liver.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:41 PM

Ha! I just noticed they put the boat type in the spotter name. Yay RC!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:44 PM

Marspeed is way back in the fleet according the tracker - that lightweight Marstrom probably had intertia issues trying to get through that surf on starboard.

I bet something broke in the surf. That area has ninja sand bars that can sneak up on an unwary banana board.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:51 PM

I bet something broke in the surf.

Last data shows 13.2kts. Doubt anything is broken.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:56 PM

the newest data shows everyone at 11knts or better, Capt Kirk 15 kts, they must be cracked off a fuzz and trucking!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 02:56 PM

Ha! I just noticed they put the boat type in the spotter name. Yay RC!

I saw that this morning and thought I had just missed it before. That's handy.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:01 PM

Am I missing the distance legend on the tracker map or is there none?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:07 PM

Looks like a couple guys are heading out a bit further offshore - perhaps in hopes of riding the chute in? How does that work out on a combined VMG?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:11 PM

rehumbo: In my experience it rarely works and its a good way of wearing out your crew. Only if the angle is awesome can it really pay off.

As for marspeed breaking something... they could have fixed it yaknow :P

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:15 PM

As for marspeed breaking something... they could have fixed it yaknow :P

Duct tape and bubblegum

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:17 PM

Following this thread is great - I have no experience with this kind of long distance offnear-shore sailing. I'm in full-on learning mode for the future smile

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:17 PM

Looks like Newkirk either figured something out or brought a crew whip with him this morning. It's a little hard to tell but I don't think Marspeed is closing on them at all.

Yeah, some guys are pointed offshore - I get the thought but I agree with Tad that it is probably not going to give them any advantage. If it was flat water, maybe...but even with the kite up in that breeze, the waves are going to keep them from going much faster than they would be if they just cracked off onto the same reach as everyone else. Couple that with the fact that there will start to be a 1 to 2 knot difference in the breeze on the beach vs. 1/4 or 1/2 mile out, it's a play that has a LOT of risk for very little reward.

Dave, yeah, I've been lamenting the lack of a scale on that map. I'll sometimes overlay a google map with a similar zoom so I can get some sort of sense of scale.
Posted By: KentHobie

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:19 PM

A dumb question but, is the race scored on elapsed time or points won? The Florida 300 web site shows both time and points won. I thought I read that the races was on ET.

The port start was a smart call. It helped to be in the second start to see the trouble that the first starters were having getting through the surf.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:20 PM

Key sailing is currently 2.2 miles ahead of Royal yellow - so still in sight but getting smaller.

Key Sailing also appears to be 5 miles ahead of Marspeed - so JC and Bret have a big hill to climb today if they want to finish in the number 1 spot. From Bret's point of view, Key Sailing is a small stick on the horizon.

The tracker time stamps are pretty similar between these boats so you can count on the leaderboard distances.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KentHobie
A dumb question but, is the race scored on elapsed time or points won? The Florida 300 web site shows both time and points won. I thought I read that the races was on ET.

The port start was a smart call. It helped to be in the second start to see the trouble that the first starters were having getting through the surf.

That's a good question - I wondered that last night. The NOR has this to say so it sounds like it's all on elapsed.

Scoring: Scoring shall be by total elapsed time for all legs of the race. For the open class, total elapsed Portsmouth number corrected times shall be used as a class rule.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:24 PM

The SI's have this to say:

13. Scoring and awards
13.1 Awards shall be presented by Class. We plan 3 places per class. Individual boats in a designated one design class will be scored by overall elapsed time. The Open Class will be scored by Portsmouth corrected times. See Portsmouth configuration modifications on the final registration form. A Best Overall award and Trophy recognition will be awarded for by total elapsed time without correction for the Florida 300. A Second overall award and trophy recognition will be provided and identified for the best overall corrected time for the Florida 300. Trophies will be awarded for the Dogfight. All scores shall include redress and/or penalties incurred.

So there is a first to finish race, Open Fleet (handicap), F18 fleet (finish position), and presumably a Nacra 20 fleet?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 03:44 PM

I'll sometimes overlay a google map with a similar zoom so I can get some sort of sense of scale.

I was doing the same thing but I did it because I wanted to see where they were sailing in relation to the reef/drop-off.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 04:17 PM

and when they hit the stream, it will make the apparent wind feel all weird.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 04:57 PM

That looks like a serious "horizon job" going on there.
Posted By: Steve_Piche

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 04:59 PM

I am enjoying watching this race! It's good to see teams racing up the Florida coast again.

Steve

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 05:09 PM

I bet something broke in the surf.

Last data shows 13.2kts. Doubt anything is broken.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Marspeed doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire at the moment. Catfever in the F18 is right on their hip.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 05:24 PM

Having raced against Brett and JC at Tradewinds on a C2, that Marstrom is amazing how fast it is.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 05:32 PM

Remember that Marstrom is a unirig. If they're in tight reaching conditions it may explain something.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 05:41 PM

incoming wind, with cross current made for an interesting start. All boats got off. Marspeed had a rough time getting out of the surf because the boat is designed to run without a jib. They have managed to come back into second place but Key Sailing has a substantial lead over the rest of the pack who are running close. This could cut down Marspeeds lead overall by a bit.

All boats are tracking well. Check it out:
Posted By: bacho

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 06:25 PM

It looks like the tiger never made it back to the water, is that correct?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 06:51 PM

Anybody watching the live stream?
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/8447390/events/2994520

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 07:13 PM

I love how he is posting so quickly after the live stream. Great coverage considering this is the first running.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 07:36 PM

Was that a broken spin halyard on the last boat in?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 11:22 PM

well...at least it looks like a spin run tomorrow. As per the forecast I'm seeing now, it's going to be a bit light but they should be able to keep moving. The day should start with a straight spin shot down the coast and evolve into gybing down the coast as the wind veers more south.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 11:24 PM

I'd like to see the results of today so we can see what the delta is for tomorrows' lead horse race!
Posted By: Lost in Translation

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 11:41 PM

I heard Marspeed broke a rudder on the launch. Apparently they were advocating for port start which really paid today.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/21/14 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lost in Translation
I heard Marspeed broke a rudder on the launch. Apparently they were advocating for port start which really paid today.

Brett voted starboard.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 12:02 AM

Watch Solar Wind FL 300 on Livestream: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/8447390/events/2994520/videos/51568888

The link above is today's start brought to by SolaWind
Posted By: Lost in Translation

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:38 AM

Great move on the port start, David!!! Awesome to see on video.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:24 AM

Great move, Ding. You made that look too easy!

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by brucat
Great move, Ding. You made that look too easy!

Mike

Definitely...people yelling at you and stuff. Cool Calm, nope! That was awesome.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 11:41 AM

The forecast changed pretty wildly again this morning. It's going to be a LIGHT start likely with wind from the south at around 4 knots. The good news is that the surf probably laid down a good bit and the southerly direction will be good for a spinnaker set off the beach to have plenty of power to get through the waves. We shouldn't see any discussion about port/starboard start - expect the fleet to start on starboard. Sometimes the fleet will hesitate to launch their kites before the start for some reason and this will occasionally give a couple of teams teams an opportunity to pounce on their competition with a surprise kite launch at T-10 seconds. I don't think the spinnaker launch will be much of a question this morning, however. We'll probably see all kites go up with about a minute to go.

Later in the day, expect the wind to turn more east and pick up a ~little~ strength as a very light sea breeze will setup with the sun heating up the land. Humidity is still low, so there is practically no chance for the seabreeze to kick into high gear. Wind will probably peak around noon-1pm at 7 to 8 knots. With the easterly shift, crews should be able to leave the kites out all day. They'll be gybing back and forth early but should be able to settle into a nice long gybe up the coast later today.

Playing near shore again will be the order for the day - any seabreeze effect will be tight to the beach. Expect teams to run the kites just outside the surf and sandbars. Teams battling early today may find themselves in a game of surf chicken. This is a lot of fun and you can sometimes get a little boost of speed by using the waves as they stand up just before the surf line - get too close, however, and a sandbar that sticks out just a little further will kick up a wave that catches you by surprise and will break turning them toward shore causing them to lose some position. Fun stuff!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 12:39 PM

I hope there's some wind at the coast, it's flat calm here in Sebring, (80 miles inland) right now.

The lake out back looks like a sheet of glass, not a ripple in sight. I think I'll go fly fishing in the canoe today!

Good Luck Ding, and all the rest, I hope you guys get to use your kites finally!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 12:50 PM

I missed the earlier discussions on the two fleets, is it 20's and F18's?.

In 20 words or less, on the video link Ding posted above, of yesterday's start, why was there a C2 starting with the 20's, and an I20 starting with the F18's?

Or were they just doing it wrong?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:05 PM

Think it had to do with finishing order of the previous leg.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo
I missed the earlier discussions on the two fleets, is it 20's and F18's?.

In 20 words or less, on the video link Ding posted above, of yesterday's start, why was there a C2 starting with the 20's, and an I20 starting with the F18's?

Or were they just doing it wrong?

they all start together. Two rows. First row starts at 10:00am, second row starts at 10:01am. They are lined up on the beach in the order of finish from the day before (but I'm not sure if that's on corrected or actual finish time).

To this point, they're keeping an overall finish order and a handicap on the entire fleet. The NOR and SI's indicate there will be an overall award (fastest to finish on elapsed) and several fleets...which presumably are "open" (Marstrom and Carbon20), F18, and N20.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:34 PM

I've got to say, the Google Glass video stream from the start provided by http://www.solarwind.solar/ is pretty darn cool. We've seen guys put together a lot of quality effort in live coverage in the past but the internet connectivity has always been a bit of an issue and it gets pretty frustrating to watch. I wonder if we're finally getting to the point where those barriers are easier to overcome.

I honestly find that just being able to watch the start through someone else's eyes is a really unique perspective and I like it. It's much better than having to listen to Clean's banter.

I might suggest that we have a fixed camera on a stick (tripod) beaming live stream of the start from a point on the beach where we can see the start rows. We can probably stream that over cell phone data now. If we do this race next year, we'll probably look into that.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:35 PM

Ahhh Soo...

That makes sense. Thanks!

I'm seeing a couple small patches of ripples out back right now, out of the south, only about .5kt gusting to 1kt. 90% of the lake is still glass.

I sure wouldn't want to try to sail in it!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:38 PM

HOLY COW. Ladies and Gents, we have a race. Overall (handicap) between the Marspeed on the Marstrom and Key Sailing on the Nacra Carbon 20 are separated by a whopping total of 8 seconds going into the last leg today. That race basically resets for these two today and this one is for the marbles.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:40 PM

The wind is LIGHT. But there is wind. They will be able to move anyway. Surf doesn't look like any kind of an issue. It's hard to tell from the low res beach cam...but their appears to be a little more wind offshore.

http://www.verobeachcam.com/

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:43 PM

Bouy reports are consistent with the camera observation. 8 knots off shore, 4-5 knots a little bit out, and not much on the beach. Teams will need to be careful to balance being way out for the morning breeze vs. being at the break for the light sea breeze that should start at around 11-11:45am

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:48 PM

The team that nails the timing of getting on the surf line right when the seabreeze starts will get a little advantage. I would probably hang 2-3 miles offshore and watch the wind angle like a hawk. As soon as an easterly shift starts to present or you see some clear wind circulation close to shore, try to start working down to the beach. Pay particular attention the the compass heading when on port gybes and watch for it to start veering west as you get closer to the beach. When that happens, take that western veer (although it feels "bad") and run it all the way back in. If you time that right, the gybe back to starboard at the surf line might be the last gybe that will take you to straight to Cocoa.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:51 PM

Teams that wait too long and catch the seabreeze shift late (when they see other teams getting into it down by the shore) will be eating a much bigger lift (sailing downwind = not good) to get back to shore and will be covering a lot of extra water.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:56 PM

But, teams that go to early for the sea breeze will find themselves on the beach with less wind than the guys offshore.

There will be a little dice rolling today but a sharp eye, clear head, and different experience will be fun to watch on the trackers. It's too bad the seabreeze won't be stronger and have more of an effect - but it's still something for the guys to try and time correctly.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 01:58 PM

Live feed is up.
Posted By: Andy Humphries

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:03 PM

looks like 10 minutes to me. Where are you looking?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Humphries
looks like 10 minutes to me. Where are you looking?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:07 PM

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:09 PM

No position data from the spots. Am I missing something?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:15 PM

OK, it's updating now.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:15 PM

No position data from the spots. Am I missing something?

hit stop and then play at the bottom of the page.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:26 PM

Beach cams are showing more breeze on shore than I would have expected...looks like the seabreeze is setting up early so expect teams to be glued to the shoreline for the entire trip to Cocoa.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:28 PM

Beach cams are showing more breeze on shore than I would have expected...looks like the seabreeze is setting up early so expect teams to be glued to the shoreline for the entire trip to Cocoa.

**** I need to hit the road soon :P

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:35 PM

**** I need to hit the road soon :P

It's not much seabreeze....don't rush too much.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:40 PM

huh...nope. The wind is out of the south west. The forecast is now a crap shoot. [I've thrown my hands up in the air]

I would now be focused on sticking with my competition and try to understand any small shifts (and try to take advantage of them like lake sailing). Watch out for large buildings / land features that will disturb the breeze that is currently blowing offshore.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:51 PM

We all go to the ocean for the better breezes. I hate when it's lake sailing conditions in the ocean. Although, if you excel in those conditions, and have the patience of a saint, you can come out smelling like roses...

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:54 PM

We all go to the ocean for the better breezes. I hate when it's lake sailing conditions in the ocean. Although, if you excel in those conditions, and have the patience of a saint, you can come out smelling like roses...

Mike

Absolutely! I love those conditions - especially when everyone else is so bent on being upset by it they can't even think straight. It's just more of a challenge to contain your anxiety and maintain a high level of patience in your tactics. The randomness is pretty even so as long as you understand the things that affect the randomness and can either avoid them or take advantage of them but remain patient (and confident) that the randomness that makes you look behind one minute will even out and you'll get yours in a moment (it's when you bail on that randomness that you get bit hard).

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:55 PM

huh...nope. The wind is out of the south west. The forecast is now a crap shoot. [I've thrown my hands up in the air]

I would now be focused on sticking with my competition and try to understand any small shifts (and try to take advantage of them like lake sailing). Watch out for large buildings / land features that will disturb the breeze that is currently blowing offshore.

Waves are your friend today....

Posted By: Andy Humphries

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:55 PM

I know Newkirk is good in light air. Don't know about Moss, but I'm sure he and Casey aren't too shabby either.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Humphries
I know Newkirk is good in light air. Don't know about Moss, but I'm sure he and Casey aren't too shabby either.

They're tactically good in light - but having raced them in a couple of Steeplechases, I believe the curved foils on the Marstrom become a bit of a liability when the wind gets light. We were able to almost keep pace with them on our F18 in the last light air steeplechase I did.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 02:58 PM

Every time I go to the ocean the wind goes away!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 03:19 PM

HOLY COW. Ladies and Gents, we have a race. Overall (handicap) between the Marspeed on the Marstrom and Key Sailing on the Nacra Carbon 20 are separated by a whopping total of 8 seconds going into the last leg today. That race basically resets for these two today and this one is for the marbles.

10 minutes, 8 seconds on corrected time and 7 minutes, 22 seconds on elapsed time.

Still going to be a tight a race, though.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 03:21 PM

SMS racing is off pace and look to be heading toward the beach at 1.9 knots. Let's hope it is something repairable like a broken spin halyard.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 03:23 PM

Team Solar Wind is showing some agility in the light stuff. They're leading the F18s with Waveyhaven giving close chase.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 03:48 PM

Today should be a longer day with shorter distance. For the start, winds were light with small swells and shore break. Another tangle at the start in the breaking waves and SMS Racing's bow was damaged without knowing it. Once they realized they were taking on water, they pulled to shore. Their crew is with them and they are not continuing.

Tracking Link:

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 04:14 PM

I may have missed it but were there any additional boats doing the dogfight?
Was the single start today because the wind and surf were so light?
Posted By: NACRAFrank

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 04:47 PM

pretty light winds here at Kennedy Space Center....

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 04:53 PM

Considering the light air, their speeds are pretty good right now, Key sailing's going around 11kts. and most of the others are between 8-10kts.

Yesterday, with a lot more wind, they were only going 12. But yesterday they were close reaching, without kites, and today I think they are using the kites.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 05:12 PM

Today should be a longer day with shorter distance. For the start, winds were light with small swells and shore break. Another tangle at the start in the breaking waves and SMS Racing's bow was damaged without knowing it. Once they realized they were taking on water, they pulled to shore. Their crew is with them and they are not continuing.

Tracking Link:

Awww, that stinks. A little epoxy and they could finish this thing. Looks like they're lucky and there is beach access about 3/4 mile south of them at 46th place.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 05:44 PM

On the beach at the finish pier. Blowing 10 from SSE

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 05:47 PM

Maybe more than 10. White caps past the surf line

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:04 PM

Are they finishing off the pier or on the beach just past it? I guess it doesn't matter much.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:08 PM

How many ocean miles do the Royal boats have on them (crew members also, for that matter)? They have been up and down that coast a bunch of times.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:10 PM

Larry's flesh colored boat has been up that coast a few times as well

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:20 PM

The trackers aren't updating all that well right now - but best I can extrapolate, Marspeed and Key Sailing are VERY close together now. They were 8 seconds apart in the results at the start of today.

edit; nah, key sailing is still ahead by about 2 miles.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:24 PM

SolarWind and WaveyHaven are about 2000 feet apart...there's no resting between those two!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:29 PM

Were there any dog fighters in today's race?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:30 PM

Wind is steady on the beach. I think the finish is just past the pier to the north. Race committee not here quite yet.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:32 PM

...They were 8 seconds apart in the results at the start of today...

I must be looking at it wrong, but I see Key Sailing with a 10 minute, 8 second lead before today's race. What am I missing?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:35 PM

Were there any dog fighters in today's race?

The SIs said they were to carry SPOT trackers, so my guess is "no" - but that is purely a guess. They had the same safety requirements minus an EPIRB, so maybe people didn't want to do a one day race and have to set up/purchase all that gear. Dunno.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:39 PM

...They were 8 seconds apart in the results at the start of today...

I must be looking at it wrong, but I see Key Sailing with a 10 minute, 8 second lead before today's race. What am I missing?

huh...well...I'll be. You are correct.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:48 PM

Kirk's spot is not updating. Any reports from the shoreline?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:48 PM

RE: Dogfighters

Nearly 30% attrition rate so far, and it hasn't "nuked" all week (although high teens going upwind for a few days in a row can make it feel worse).

While it would have been interesting, maybe it's better that the weekend warriors stayed home?

Mike
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:53 PM

YaHoo, Daddy! The grandads still have it in them, but I have had my mast come down while in the lead. I will feel better when they cross the Finish Line, and I know Mark will be stoked!

PBYC is cheering them on for sure.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:56 PM

Don't jinx'm!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 06:59 PM

Are they under spinnaker? Marspeed going high (per the tracker anyway).

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:06 PM

Cocoa Beach pier webcam (not exactly sure this is the only pier in Cocoa, but it looks like it):

http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weather-cams/beach/cocoa-beach-pier_24823

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:10 PM

Cocoa Beach pier webcam (not exactly sure this is the only pier in Cocoa, but it looks like it):

http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weather-cams/beach/cocoa-beach-pier_24823

Black or Blue spin is in the picture when the camera pans to the south.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:21 PM

Dark spin boat coming by the end of the pier almost to beach.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:39 PM

Mark . . . Ice Cold Silver Bullet!!

STAT!!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:46 PM

Nice beachcam view of Royal Yellow . . .

and Royal Orange just behind . . .

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:48 PM

Are you looking at the pier cam? or is there another one?
Posted By: samc99us

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:49 PM

Try not having a jib and trying to drive through the surf with no board in and no rudders. They backed down on the second sandbar and lost their leeward rudder. Today the M20 went too far offshore in a tactical gamble that didn't pay.

@ Tad, I know Jake has lots of distance race experience and is a good sailor, but even he is fallible. I'm also not afraid of your resume so go ahead, post away.

The childish responses by a few to pure fact on this forum stopped me from posting correct information for the general masses.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:51 PM

here

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:54 PM

Did we crash the beach cam?! whistle

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by P.M.

Same camera, diff website than I was watching. The reload every 30 seconds is a PITA.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 08:03 PM

thanks!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 08:03 PM

boat coming in now on the cam . . .

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 08:09 PM

Whoa ... Waveyhaven overstood by a good bit (per the tracker). I know it is a lot easier sitting in my office). Might tha open the door for SolarWind?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 08:10 PM

Another boat . . . looks like Ding.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 08:11 PM

black spin with F18 on it

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 08:17 PM

The Flesh Rocket!

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 08:48 PM

I bet those beers on the beach taste pretty good about right now....

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 09:52 PM

I assure you that they're the best in the world.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/22/14 11:29 PM

I assure you that they're the best in the world.

+1

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 02:29 AM

Florida 300 Final Results
http://www.florida300.com/florida-300-news/104-florida-300-final-results

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 04:02 AM

Try not having a jib and trying to drive through the surf with no board in and no rudders.

Um... As much as it kills me to have to go here...

Ah, now eventually they did plan to be sailing in the ocean at some point during this ocean race, right?

Just sayin'...

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 04:07 AM

Great job, congrats to all sailors and organizers. Thanks for a great week of ocean racing spectating!

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 11:25 AM

Try not having a jib and trying to drive through the surf with no board in and no rudders.

Um... As much as it kills me to have to go here...

Ah, now eventually they did plan to be sailing in the ocean at some point during this ocean race, right?

Just sayin'...

Mike

Bret has but a lot of miles on that boat and it's not the first time a Marstrom 20 has done a coastal race (I think Carla Scheifer has done three with hers?). The lack of a jib is one thing but the boat is designed to be uni-rig, double handed. It's main sail balance is setup a little more forward to compensate for the lack of a jib. Now, having a little sail closer to the bow would help put a little more power on getting through the waves but that is probably minor compared to the fact that the boat is feather light for a double handed 20 footer. There is very little inertia to push through the waves when launching. This is the one time when boat weight is your friend. Try launching a Nacra 20 through waves and then do the same thing on an A-cat. It's a pretty dramatic difference how the boat weight affects the wave impact.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 12:20 PM

I was primarily trying to be humorous, but if we are to believe the armchair speculation of one or more design weaknesses costing them a chance at the win, there's a saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight that comes to mind.

These events can be notoriously brutal on boats, and racing is always a risk/reward equation, especially when launching through surf is involved.

I applaud Bret and JC for trying the boat in this event, and would love to hear from them about whether or not they'd use that design for the next distance race.

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 01:23 PM

I was primarily trying to be humorous, but if we are to believe the armchair speculation of one or more design weaknesses costing them a chance at the win, there's a saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight that comes to mind.

These events can be notoriously brutal on boats, and racing is always a risk/reward equation, especially when launching through surf is involved.

I applaud Bret and JC for trying the boat in this event, and would love to hear from them about whether or not they'd use that design for the next distance race.

Mike

This is not their fist rodeo and Brett takes the boat through the surf as frequently as the rest of us and does it quite well. An onshore breeze and and a short period can make anyone look bad or look like a genius. At the end of the day if they have advice about getting through ANY situation it is worth your time to listen.

To your point Mike Bret loves that boat and I'm confident that if he wanted to do another long distance multi day open water event he wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it on the M20.

But that's just an opinion and it could easily be full of sh!t.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 02:05 PM

Great points Ding.

Every time I get through nasty surf I consider myself lucky. I've seen some nasty carnage, including broken masts, rudders, transoms and sailors being taken to the hospital. That's just at the events I've attended, there's been lots more elsewhere.

Some designs do better than others, but none of our boats like touching the bottom...

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 04:56 PM

Great points Ding.
Every time I get through nasty surf I consider myself lucky.

+1. All it takes is one wave at the wrong time/angle and you lose everything you've worked for over the last few minutes... Or worse (capsize/damage)

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 05:20 PM

Great points Ding.
Every time I get through nasty surf I consider myself lucky.

+1. All it takes is one wave at the wrong time/angle and you lose everything you've worked for over the last few minutes... Or worse (capsize/damage)

It can definitely be interesting....made more so by trying to get through it after the start gun has gone off. Kirk Newkirk is one of the best in this regard. As I understand it, during that Jensen Beach Worrell disaster, he sailed out through the surf successfully twice. I think they broke a rudder on the last sandbar and went back to fix it...went back out and sailed the leg. Loehmeyer is also an expert and showed us his skill during the Jupiter Beach mess during a Tybee 500. We were all exploding and he just went out and sailed out of the surf, turned left, and went to Cocoa like no biggy.
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/23/14 06:03 PM

Chris Christensen was the "Beach Godfather." I bet he shoved more catamarans into Florida surf than the others combined.

During the NACRA 5.2 Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale, Chris pushed the entire fleet out with coaching every morning until one day the surf was waist high, and he left early to get out in the breeze and escape the coming carnage.

Roy Seaman pushed off and capsized imediately in front of the Lundquist brothers...so they went over. Since Dirk and Eric broke their mast, Seaman began ripping out the top three battens to replace his he had just broken.

Right after that Fred Young closed the beach and allowed no else out. Chris won the race with half the fleet, onshore.

When Chris got in, he immediately chased down Roland for a 'session.' Chris had been a wrestler in his younger days, and it was looking bad for Roland! No USYRU judge needed.

As they were about to face it off, I ran in between them and told them to stop the yelling. "Guys, we can solve this by offering two throwouts for the regatta..." could have saved Roland an ambulance ride. It did save the regatta.

No one messed with Chris or Pauline...for that matter. That event was the final nationals under the single trap class rule. By Fall, we were breaking out with double traps.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/24/14 11:29 PM

Ummmm...yeah. Remind me how many Tybee 500's you sailed in? Kid needs to learn some manners. Besides, it was only a 55 mile leg, you sailed half of it inside the reef, and there are two 65 year old dudes in this thing that aren't complaining (wait, how old is Ding again?).

You also need to remember that the only data we have is a tracker that pings every 10 minutes or so. They were showing between 6 and 7 knots of boat speed so either there was a lot of tacking going on that the pinger wasn't capturing at that resolution or something. Sorry you had a tough day, cupcake.

The "kid" told me not to read this when I got home but I did, and the "kid" was right if any of you self proclaimed badasses wanna have a pecker slinging mileage pissfest I'll be more than happy to cut the miles on my resume' in half and still probably double what you've got. The first day was a supreme asskicker, enough said. On a final note I sure hope I don't sound like this when I'm posting from home watching a race. So much misinformation from the speculation it's funny. Out and done.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/25/14 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

The "kid" told me not to read this when I got home but I did, and the "kid" was right if any of you self proclaimed badasses wanna have a pecker slinging mileage pissfest I'll be more than happy to cut the miles on my resume' in half and still probably double what you've got. The first day was a supreme asskicker, enough said. On a final note I sure hope I don't sound like this when I'm posting from home watching a race. So much misinformation from the speculation it's funny. Out and done.

It probably would have gone better for Sam if he hadn't started with an insult to everyone that was enjoying watching and discussing the limited information we had on the race...

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/25/14 03:53 PM

Tad's comment knocking down Sam's credibility when it came to judging the wind because he sailed on the Chesapeake was before Sam's comment about armchair sailors, I'm also not sure he was directing that comment at anyone besides Tad.
I've had my disagreements with Sam in the past online, he makes some bold statements that he would never make in person. But in this case I think you all jumped down his throats prematurely and may have gone a bit too far.
It's hard with lack of tone online.
Kind of like my comment about dyneema on Facebook Jake , I think you took my informational tone as something else.
To quote the great Todd Hart (scary) from Facebook a couple weekend ago, there's no winning arguments online.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/25/14 04:06 PM

Oh jesus F'ing Christ.

You people must have grinded too much sand in the nether regions to sense a good joke when you see it. I told Sam this too on the beach when he called Jake "a retard" that my joke was as much about myself than it was about Sam considering that I grew up sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and have done more sailing on that body of water than any others combined.

Everyone needs to get the f*ck over themselves and stop trying to act like they're all insulted and pissed off at one another.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/26/14 11:53 AM

Oh jesus F'ing Christ.

You people must have grinded too much sand in the nether regions to sense a good joke when you see it. I told Sam this too on the beach when he called Jake "a retard" that my joke was as much about myself than it was about Sam considering that I grew up sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and have done more sailing on that body of water than any others combined.

Everyone needs to get the f*ck over themselves and stop trying to act like they're all insulted and pissed off at one another.

nice. For the record, I saw the humor in Tad's remark.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/26/14 02:26 PM

Well, that just illustrates the danger of posting private jokes on a public forum (I've done it too). It is amazing how easy it can be to offend people without even trying sometimes...

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/26/14 04:49 PM

As a happy aside to this whole sad thread...

Todd can no longer hold my rum debt over my head. It has been paid... with interest :P
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/26/14 05:29 PM

Pretty sure Todd wants his rum... paid in full...

IF he owes you anything... well... the clock will start ticking on his payback.... .

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/26/14 05:57 PM

Todd can no longer hold my rum debt over my head. It has been paid... with interest :P

The interest may need to be re-calculated with all the passing time, inflation, and such, so you may not be in the clear yet. The timing was absolutely perfect though, and it could not have been any better.It was good getting to see you for the brief time that you got to hang out, but you were supposed to have at least one rum drink from the payoff with me, excuse accepted though.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/27/14 01:15 PM

It probably would have gone better for Sam if he hadn't started with an insult to everyone that was enjoying watching and discussing the limited information we had on the race...

Jake, Sam is a bit of a technical super freak (I suspect) and often that group doesn't have the ability to deliver a contrary message with the same silky inoffensiveness that Mr. Schneider and I seem to have. What can I say it's a gift.

For the record I'm a Sam Carter fan he's good people, that THart guy... still a tool :-)

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/27/14 02:25 PM

Well, that just illustrates the danger of posting private jokes on a public forum (I've done it too).
Mike

Which is why I only have one joke: What do you call a boomerang that won't come back?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/27/14 02:48 PM

%(*%^(*^^%%

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/27/14 03:39 PM

Joke of the day, I was at the boat consignment store the other day talking with the owner when a family pulled in in their minivan and began looking around. After a few minutes I said, do you need to go tend to your customers? he said, those arent' customers, those are "whistling gophers". My puzzled look apparently made him expain, he said, those people are the type that say "what do those things gofur? And then I tell them the price and they whistle(like its a lot of money type of whistle)

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/27/14 03:41 PM

Jake, Sam is a bit of a technical super freak (I suspect) and often that group doesn't have the ability to deliver a contrary message with the same silky inoffensiveness that Mr. Schneider and I seem to have. What can I say it's a gift.

For the record I'm a Sam Carter fan he's good people, that THart guy... still a tool :-)

An a$$hole not a tool, get it right...but he pays his debts...FAST!
Sam is 100% technical engineer, 'nuff said. He might not step out from under a falling rock, but he could tell you everything about it including it's composition,history, speed and trajectory...before it squashed him.

p.s. Ding, you're not really gonna use THAT keyboard to type on here, are ya?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/29/14 02:01 PM

Best part of the trip was watching Tad pay off his bet and having that payment promptly delivered to me! Best trophy EVER!

The morning of third day of the FL300 as I walked to the boat I remember thinking "this has got to be dumbest thing I've ever done and you guys have some kind of brain dysfunction." But before the KPRR weekend was out I was already making plans and closing deals for next year assuming Chuck, Warren and Craig are up for another go.

Yes Todd I plan to use this keyboard, it's fine!

Proud member of the "a$$hole on the beach" club but that Jake Domingo guy has nothing on us he takes a$$hole to an all new level.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/29/14 02:48 PM

[
The morning of third day of the FL300 as I walked to the boat I remember thinking "this has got to be dumbest thing I've ever done and you guys have some kind of brain dysfunction." But before the KPRR weekend was out I was already making plans and closing deals for next year assuming Chuck, Warren and Craig are up for another go.

Yep. Did you get that feeling at KPRR that that weekend event, on that little tiny piece of ocean, had nothing to throw at you that you couldn't handle? You caught it. I'll see you next year.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/29/14 03:03 PM

The morning of the third day I was thinking the same Ding, but the forecast gave me a shred of hope and it delivered .Two semi miserable days on the water followed by Two absolutely beautiful days on the water, hard to top (11 minutes faster would have topped it though).

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/29/14 10:29 PM

Did you wake up Friday morning with a sort of malaise that you weren't getting ready to shove off the beach?

Its like a drug.
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/30/14 03:03 PM

Sorry if I missed it in all the posts,

But what happened to the N6.0 listed in the entries?

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 05/30/14 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Todd_Sails
Sorry if I missed it in all the posts,

But what happened to the N6.0 listed in the entries?

He had a sick relative and could not sail.
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/02/14 01:53 PM

Great race recap from Dave Ingram now on USF18.com

http://usf18.com/florida-300-an-old-man-adventure/

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/02/14 02:13 PM

Nice write-up Ding!

Group Input needed: How do you handle the "exposure" portion of distance racing (which seems to be the largest challenge in my mind)? Bouncing around in the ocean 8-16 hours on the wire (limiting mobility) would seem to be both a physical and mental challenge.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/02/14 02:38 PM

ya just HTFU

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/02/14 02:44 PM

ya just HTFU

laugh

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/02/14 02:50 PM

Great write-up!

Mike

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/02/14 03:25 PM

ya just HTFU

Yeah, but I'm old, soft and slow... not nearly the sailing pornstars you are.

But that doesn't mean I can't/won't eventually do some distance sailing and I'd be willing to bet some of this would benefit me (it's always about me...)

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/02/14 03:40 PM

Yeah, but I'm old, soft and slow... not nearly the sailing pornstars you are.

But that doesn't mean I can't/won't eventually do some distance sailing and I'd be willing to bet some of this would benefit me (it's always about me...)

Ok, I'll prime the pump. Jake gave me a bit of comfort advice but I ignored it and regretted it. He told me to buy a cheap shorty wetsuit and cut the bottoms off and wear them as a pair neoprene shorts. I didn't and 3 hours into the second day was cursing myself for being stupid. Being uncomfortable is an incredible distraction and the time you spend fidgeting looking for some relief is time spent going slow.

Secondly and this has been said by many, eat and stay hydrated. The last hour is when everyone is weakest and begins to let their guard down ( I sure did ) and if you have the gas you can make gains. Plus you need to keep your head on straight and maintaining your body properly really helps you sort things out.

There is much much more and I'm sure those with the miles and the hours will chime in.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/04/14 06:05 PM

Sent it to Rick for his magazine and forgot to double check if he posted it on the site:
Key Sailing takes First Florida 300 >>>

Turtle Mojo: Race Report >>>

Any other sailing stories from either Skipper, Crew or Ground Crew point of view, please email: info@sailseries.com
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/04/14 08:39 PM

I like to include "estimated evaporation" that would/could have occurred when accepting late payment for any liquid payments

The interest may need to be re-calculated with all the passing time, inflation, and such, so you may not be in the clear yet. The timing was absolutely perfect though, and it could not have been any better.It was good getting to see you for the brief time that you got to hang out, but you were supposed to have at least one rum drink from the payoff with me, excuse accepted though.

Re: Florida 300 Race Updates - 06/05/14 12:40 AM

http://www.florida300.com/sailor-stories/108-turtle-mojo-race-report

In case it wasn't seen above, Dick Macdonald's excellent summary. If you're on the fence this and Dave's write-up http://usf18.com/florida-300-an-old-man-adventure/
give a great summary of what went down and how much fun you're missing out on.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums