Catsailor.com

masts

Posted By: swatter

masts - 05/20/14 10:36 PM

whats best way to put a mast up by self as when I lay mast down on the boat the triangle bit that allows the mast to rotate is resting on the tramp which then doesn't allow to put the pin though that holds the mast all surgesstions welcome or ideas
Posted By: Timbo

Re: masts - 05/20/14 10:39 PM

What type of boat/mast?

Re: masts - 05/20/14 11:06 PM

itsa a mozzie rather heavey mast as its old one
Posted By: bacho

Re: masts - 05/21/14 12:30 AM

Rest the mast on a step ladder behind the boat.
Posted By: Jake

Re: masts - 05/21/14 01:00 AM

I don't think there are many people here familiar with that particular boat / mast setup. Bach had a good suggestion and there are other possibilities too. You could try to step the mast from the front of the boat (boat on the ground), step it with the mast rotated 180 degrees (possible, but you have to pay close attention to the rigging to get it rigged properly), etc. Some masts have to be stepped rotated at 90 degrees (most Nacras)....there are all sorts of possibilities.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: masts - 05/21/14 03:11 AM

Put the road trailer behind the boat so that the mast support is by the center of the back beam. Prop the mast up on this

Re: masts - 05/21/14 04:01 AM

thanx all
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: masts - 05/21/14 04:30 PM

You could search this forum for gin pole info if you wanted mechanical assistance for raising the mast.
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: masts - 05/21/14 08:35 PM

Look at the vid below between 2.39 and 3.00 minutes:

vid with camara on the rearbeam

Mast feet just rests freely against the ball on the frontbeam in the direction of the hulls and is limited sideways by the trapeze-wires fixed temporary to both sides of the frontbeam. I use no step-hinges or things like that for anti-rotating the mast! Mast is fixed by the pole.

Only thing is you have to support the masttop a foot or so above the tramp. I use a simple tripod for that: the boom and two wooden side-legs.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums