Catsailor.com

Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW!

Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 06/28/14 04:17 AM

Who has the oldest,(still functional and active,) catamaran?

Pictures are encouraged!

The winner receives the glory of winning and bragging, and not much else.

Since I'm first, I'll nominate my 1977 Hobie 16. (Pictured to the left, or should I say water-colored to the left.) Since I'm posting this late at night, I should stay in 1st Place for at least a few hours.

Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 06/29/14 09:42 PM

I have a 2013 Capricorn F18,and a 2014 Capricorn F18 sold my old boats guess I lose again.
Posted By: bacho

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 06/30/14 12:08 AM

I got a 76 Isotope in the yard.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 06/30/14 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bacho
I got a 76 Isotope in the yard.

do the rules specify it actually has to sail?
Posted By: bacho

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 06/30/14 04:33 PM

It would sail just fine if anyone had the desire to use it.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 06/30/14 10:47 PM

I just went out and wiped the goo off the back of my Hobie 14, it says it's a 1979, I still sail it when it's blowing too hard for the Prindle 18. If we get some of that tropical storm wind tomorrow, I might take it out.

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/01/14 01:18 AM

The rules say it has to be in a sail-able condition. If woodchucks have chewed a hole in a hull and are raising a family in it, that certainly would disqualify it. -If it sinks, it stinks!

Posted By: cookwithgas

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/26/14 12:30 PM

1977 Nacra 5.2. Sitting on the beach and sailed every weekend. New sails will be finished next week. Racing in the Juana Good Time regatta on Sept. 6th, 2014. Am I tied for 1st?
Posted By: pepin

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/26/14 10:58 PM

'75 Hobie 14. In original condition, with original sail and trampoline (white trampoline!). Last time used was a few days before my daughter was born, and that was 20 years ago. Previous time it was used was a good 10 years before that. I rigged it three or four years ago in front of the garage it is currently sitting in, and all the pieces are still there, it could sail tomorrow. It would need a good wash first however.
Posted By: Pirate

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/26/14 11:39 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/27/14 11:25 AM

The Shark Class still has nearly 20 boats showing up at their Nationals.., and most of them are from the early 60s.
Hard to beat that!
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/28/14 02:58 AM

I had a Lofland Cougar from the 50's , but not a contender any longer unfortunately.

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/28/14 10:47 AM

If you take a wander through the Mosquito section on this forum you'd find a few old girls still actively sailed even tho their build dates are ~mid 70s or earlier.
Number 126 was recently purchased and although not sailable as she was it wasn't a great deal of work to put her back on the water.
My first Mozzie was #245 and it was bought by my dad in 1972 and he sailed it through till 1977 before handing it to me.

This old design still sticks it to the modern boats to this day, combine that with what most mozzie sailors seem to have... that NEVER GIVE UP attitude and you have a very strong fleet of boats that have been around since the early 60's with very little change throughout the years.

smile

grin
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/28/14 11:15 AM

Did a seminar at Jericho in Vancouver, and the cats in that yard could make a museum.
Rick
Posted By: pepin

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/28/14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by PIRATE
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure that a pic of a disassembled H14 under a tarp in a garage is that interesting smile

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 07/30/14 04:24 AM

Yeah, I was hoping for interesting pictures, too!
Posted By: carlito

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 08/01/14 04:50 AM

Ahh. Looks like I could jump into the lead here. Sporting a wooden Tornado. No serial number, Old IYE beams and was saved from the landfill by me. Sails have latest measurement stamps from 1981 worlds in France, but I am pretty sure these sails are original, seeing as I have an older set of sails with inspection stamps from the 70's. You know, oak battens....

Just spent the evening putting her on the trailer and will be on the lake tomorrow. I am a bit of a luddite and dont have a camera that talks to the computer so easily but will try to take a few pics before heading out tomorrow. Will also try to get some once rigged. Looking forward to the giggles at the most bagged out jib on the planet.
Posted By: DHO

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 08/01/14 07:11 AM

The first Tornadoes came out in 1967. I read somewhere the early wooden ones had an all-up weight of 279 pounds! Or was I misunderstanding something?

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 08/01/14 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by pepin
Originally Posted by PIRATE
[Linked Image]

I'm not sure that a pic of a disassembled H14 under a tarp in a garage is that interesting smile

Oh I don't know about that......

I could compare my junk to your junk then

[Linked Image]

wink
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 08/01/14 01:26 PM

so this thread would then be morphing from "old boat" to "hoarders"?
Posted By: jollyrodgers

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 08/01/14 11:29 PM

[Linked Image]
This boat is sailing across my screen. Don't know if it still exists in 2014.
My dad video taped his old family movies and made a dvd. The shark was sailing in the video and this is a screen shot. He is sailing with 1 of my brothers and 1 of my sisters and my mom was filming from our dock around 1965. The boat was really US sixty something but the old owner had kept the sail number and given the 268 number to the used boat when he got his new boat around 1965.
As for old Tornados; i crewed on US9 in 1968 as a little grommet. Those old boats were minimum weight. Around 350lbs or whatever. They were Sailcraft of England made. Within a few years there were at least 3 builders in England exporting boats to the US. We had US 40 and it was an original Sailcraft plywood model. Those boats had Seahorse sails as original equipment. To downhaul the main we would sheet in, stand on the boom and crank down a thumb screw on the gooseneck to hold the downhaul pressure.
Posted By: MWahl

Re: Oldest Catamaran Contest ! Enter NOW! - 09/04/14 08:48 PM

My father & I use to sail a 1977 Chesire Cat (14' version of the Isotope). Unfortunately, didn't bring it with me when we moved out west.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums