Catsailor.com

Racing Rules: "Right of Way"

Posted By: Isotope235

Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 08/30/14 02:30 PM

I often wish that the Racing Rules of Sailing did not use the term "right-of-way". Sailors frequently take it to mean that a boat has the right to do whatever she pleases, or, that no matter what else happens, she is "in the right". How many times have you heard a skipper claim "I have rights"?

Unfortuantely, that isn't what right-of-way means. The preamble to Part 2 Section A (Right of Way) states "A boat has right of way over another boat when the other boat is required to keep clear of her". That's all. "Right-of-way" is a shorthand expression meaning that the other boat must keep clear, nothing more. It does not imply any special privileges nor does it abrogate a boat's other responsibilities. The preamble goes on to say "However, some rules in Sections B, C, and D limit the actions of a right-of-way boat". Whenever two boats meet, there are requirements laid on both of them.

Instead of reading the rules as granting "rights", think of them as imposing "obligations". Rules in Section A (10 "On Opposite Tacks", 11 "On the Same Tack, Overlapped", 12 "On the Same Tack, Not Overlapped", and 13 "While Tacking") impose the obligation to keep clear. Rules in Sections B, C, and D place additional obligations, some on one boat, some on the other, and some on both.

Rule 14 "Avoiding Contact", for example, requires a boat to "avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible". When two boats meet, both share that obligation.

Rules 15 "Acquiring Right of Way" and 16 "Changing Course" place an obligation on the right-of-way boat. They detail the circumstances when she must give the other boat room to keep clear.

Rule 17 "On the Same Tack; Proper Course" restricts a leeward boat from sailing above her proper course.

Rules 18 "Mark Room", 19 "Room to Pass an Obstruction", and 20 "Room to Tack at an Obstruction" detail the room one boat (and it could be either) must give another at a mark or obstruction.

I don't mean to provide a complete enumeration of a boat's obligations under the rules. The rule book is full of things a boat must do and things a boat must not do (rule 1.1 requires a boat to give all possible aid to any person or vessel in danger; rule 28 requires a boat to sail the course; rule 31 requires a boat to not touch a mark; etc.). In an encounter on the water, it's entirely possible for the give-way boat, the right-of-way boat, or both boats to meet, or fail to meet the requirements of the rules.

So, realize that "right-of-way" does not give a boat complete freedom. Don't get caught up with a boat's "rights". Focus on a boat's obligations instead.

I hope that helps,
Eric
US Sailing Certified Judge
Chair, SAYRA Appeals Committee
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/06/14 10:34 PM

Eric, We're not worthy, we're not worthy,...

Nice work
Posted By: Chris9

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/08/14 04:34 PM

Eric,

I think I know the answer, but I also know it would be good to check my understanding...

Situation:
Two boats sailing to windward. Both boats are on Port tack. As the windward boat enters the zone, windward is clear ahead by about a boat length and over stood a little. The leeward boat is clear astern and probably on the lay line. The windward boat is sailing slightly slower because of issues on board. Inside of the zone, leeward becomes overlapped to the outside of the windward boat. Mark needs to be left to port. Windward boat begins to turn up to initiate a tack, leeward boat does as well however turns more quickly and leewards port bow touches windward's starboard hull about at the rear beam connection... who was obligated to avoid who? With contact,some rule was broken?
Posted By: brucat

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/08/14 08:30 PM

The easy answer is that the leeward/outside/clear behind boat broke 18.2(b). The most important adjective there is clear behind, because she was clear behind when the other boat entered the zone.

Rule 14 was also broken by one or both, but we would need more information about how low the windward boat sailed while having "issues."

Mike
Posted By: peterk

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/08/14 11:11 PM

This thread brings up an interesting idea, at least for me. As a guy that does not race, but is dabbling with the idea, a thread committed to examples, or challenge questions, would be a lot of fun.

One of the biggest issues for a noob when it comes to racing is not knowing what the hell is going on, so we never bother to try it, well that and the lack of open classes. Pete

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 02:20 AM

Cool Mike, thanks. I was thinking that 18.2(a) applied and/ or maybe even rule 17. The "issues" that windward was having were preparing to tack right at the windward mark with 12 yr old running the jib and coming in off the wire in one to the occasional set of two foot waves.

So, how would your answer change if boats were overlapped? With windward entering zone first and leeward was still outside and both boats were on port enter entering zone?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 02:34 AM

The rules can be intimidating. I have raced dinghies and mid-sized mono-hauls as crew for about 10 years and now catamarans as skipper for almost 10 years; w/ the catamaran crowd is much more relaxed and the willing to let things go and talk about it afterward...

As you can see, I'm still asking questions... its a life long learning process....enjoy the journey and have insurance;) Its cheap

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 04:55 AM

Well, Rule 17 applies, but there is the issue of proper course. At some point, the leeward/outside boat's proper course is to tack to go around that mark. As the inside/clear ahead boat, you're entitled to mark room per Rule 18.

In both cases, you are obligated to tack and round the mark, so if it comes out in a protest that you were sailing to Timbucktoo because your jib was jammed in a cleat, you might have a problem. Wind and sea conditions certainly play into any decision on whether you sailed too far before tacking, which is why I say it really needs to be heard in front of an experienced jury to get a more definitive answer.

I'm really tired, so someone else might be able to explain this better with some rule citations.

For those looking to learn the rules, there are some great online quizzes. The US Sailing and ISAF appeals and case books also have great diagrams and real stories with applicable rules. Tons of info there.

Mike
Posted By: Jake

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by peterk
This thread brings up an interesting idea, at least for me. As a guy that does not race, but is dabbling with the idea, a thread committed to examples, or challenge questions, would be a lot of fun.

One of the biggest issues for a noob when it comes to racing is not knowing what the hell is going on, so we never bother to try it, well that and the lack of open classes. Pete

Pete,

Although there are nuances in the rules that are a little tricky to master, you can achieve a solid understanding of the basics with very little effort. The rules themselves for "when boats meet" on the race course are only 6 small pages long. You can see the rule book here:

...well, I can't get the link to work here because it includes a "[" character. You'll need to copy/paste this into your browser:
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/ISAFRRS20132016Final-[13376].pdf

Some online quiz games:
http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm
a paid for one here: http://www.uksailmakers.com/Education/Rules-Quiz.html

There are lots of others.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chris9
Two boats sailing to windward. Both boats are on Port tack. As the windward boat enters the zone, windward is clear ahead by about a boat length and over stood a little. The leeward boat is clear astern and probably on the lay line. The windward boat is sailing slightly slower because of issues on board. Inside of the zone, leeward becomes overlapped to the outside of the windward boat. Mark needs to be left to port. Windward boat begins to turn up to initiate a tack, leeward boat does as well however turns more quickly and leewards port bow touches windward's starboard hull about at the rear beam connection... who was obligated to avoid who? With contact,some rule was broken?

Let's first sort out what rule(s) apply. Before the boats reach the zone, the windward boat (w) is clear ahead. Rule 12 applies at that time. When they become overlapped, Rule 12 is replaced by Rule 11 and Rule 15 begins to apply. Also, when the leeward boat (L) becomes overlapped (from clear astern within two hull-lengths), Rule 17 applies to her. After the boats pass head-to-wind and until they are on a close-hauled course, Rule 13 applies. When she is changing course, rule 16.1 applies to L. Rule 14 applies to both boats. Also, and most importantly, Rule 18.2(b) applies from the moment the first boat enters the zone until W passes head-to-wind. After W passes head-to-wind, Rule 18.2(a) applies.

Now, we'll apply the obligations. When she is clear astern, L is obligated to keep clear of W (12). Upon becoming overlapped, W must keep clear of L (11). L must initially give W room to keep clear (15). L may not sail above her proper course (17). After both boats pass head-to-wind, until they reach a close-hauled course, W must keep clear of L (13). While she changes course, L must give W room to keep clear (16.1). Both boats must, if reasonably possible, avoid contact (14). While in the zone, L must give W mark-room (18.2(a)(b)).

Were any rules broken? Well, it's axiomatic that if two boats make contact, some rule must be broken, but let's look to see if the boats met all their obligations above. When astern, L kept clear of W. When overlapped to windward, W kept clear of L. L initially gave W room to keep clear. Assuming that L was able to fetch the mark when she tacked, L did not sail above her proper course. After passing head-to-wind, but before reaching a close-hauled course, L and W made contact. Therefore, I conclude that W did not keep clear of L. While changing course, L did not give W room to keep clear (assuming W's tack was seamanlike). W was not reasonably able to avoid contact (again, assuming her tack was seamanlike). L, however, was reasonably able to avoid contact, but she did not. Assuming that W was always sailing "to the mark" (not past it), then L did not give W mark-room.

So, (with the above assumptions) W breaks Rule 13. L breaks Rules 14, 16.1 and 18.2(a). Now we move on to exoneration. Assuming that W was "sailing within the mark-room to which she is entitled", Rule 21(a) exonerates her for breaking Rule 13 (Rule 64.1(a) could as well). Assuming that there was no injury nor damage, Rule 14(b) exonerates L for breaking Rule 14. L does not, however, receive any exoneration for her infractions of Rules 16.1 nor 18.2(a).

Note that I've made a few assumptions. If the facts were different, then the outcome could be as well.

The important point is that I never mentioned a boat's "rights" at all in the analysis. It was all about the boats' obligations under the rules, and whether or not each boat met her obligations.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
In both cases, you are obligated to tack and round the mark, so if it comes out in a protest that you were sailing to Timbucktoo because your jib was jammed in a cleat, you might have a problem. Wind and sea conditions certainly play into any decision on whether you sailed too far before tacking, which is why I say it really needs to be heard in front of an experienced jury to get a more definitive answer.

Although it may be necessary in order to sail the course, no rule specifically obligates a boat to tack at a mark. A boat (especially a catamaran) clear astern and slightly to windward certainly can prevent the other boat from tacking (provided her action does not break Rule 2). If the boats leave the zone then Rule 18 ceases to apply. If a boat sails beyond the "mark-room to which she is entitled", then she does not receive exoneration under rule 21. Those are important considerations, but a boat may legitimately drive another boat past a windward mark layline in order to gain a tactical advantage.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Isotope235

Although it may be necessary in order to sail the course, no rule specifically obligates a boat to tack at a mark. A boat (especially a catamaran) clear astern and slightly to windward certainly can prevent the other boat from tacking (provided her action does not break Rule 2). If the boats leave the zone then Rule 18 ceases to apply. If a boat sails beyond the "mark-room to which she is entitled", then she does not receive exoneration under rule 21. Those are important considerations, but a boat may legitimately drive another boat past a windward mark layline in order to gain a tactical advantage.

Um, yeah... I was referring specifically to the case in question. If you're entitled to mark-room over an outside/leeward boat, you can't sail away from the mark just for strategic reasons.

That aside, I love the walk-down that you provided in the prior post!

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 06:54 PM

If you're entitled to mark-room over an outside/leeward boat, you can't sail away from the mark just for strategic reasons.

What rule says you can't?
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 08:50 PM

proper course? Maybe there's no rule for that...

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 09:15 PM

Rule 18.4 "Gybing" states "When an inside overlapped right-of-way boat must gybe at a mark to sail her proper course, until she gybes she shall sail no farther from the mark than needed to sail that course...".

That places an obligation to gybe on a boat at a leeward mark, but there is no corollary rule that would require a boat to tack at a windward mark.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 10:07 PM

If you're entitled to mark-room over an outside/leeward boat, you can't sail away from the mark just for strategic reasons.

What rule says you can't?

Definition of mark room.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/09/14 10:50 PM

Definition of mark room.

The definition of mark room details the amount of room that one boat must give another under Rule 18, but it does not place an obligation to tack on either boat.

Care to try again?

I'll go you one further and say that even if you AREN'T entitled to mark-room from (and in fact, even if you owe mark-room to) an outside/leeward boat, you CAN drive her beyond the mark. She can take you head-to-wind, but you are not obligated to tack, nor to give her room to tack.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 01:23 AM

I'll go you one further and say that even if you AREN'T entitled to mark-room from (and in fact, even if you owe mark-room to) an outside/leeward boat, you CAN drive her beyond the mark. She can take you head-to-wind, but you are not obligated to tack, nor to give her room to tack.

Eric is quite right, as usual. As long as you don't break rules 11 or 12 (and the leeward boat doesn't break 13 or 16.1), you can ride them off to Yenemsvelt.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 01:54 AM

Eric,

That description was great! Thank you!

Mike, you input was useful as well, thanks again.

I've started reading the ISAF cases and there are a couple that directly were helpful and I haven't made it out of the definition sections... There will be on board video of the situation when I get back from work related travel and do some editing... My 12 yr old was doing a great job considering it usually requires a full grown human.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 02:05 AM

OK, let's discuss in terms of obligations of the outside/leeward boat. He is the ROW boat, but is obligated to give the inside boat mark room, which is clearly defined as the room needed to round the mark. As it's been explained to me, the rule writers were very careful in the later books to distinguish ROW vs. mark room. Mark room is very limited.

Can you provide a case citation to defend your interpretation?

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 02:05 AM

Btw, that is 6 or 7 rules that came into play, in the span of 4 boat lengths, or roughly 90 feet, or roughly 16 to 17 feet per second, or about 6 seconds worth of elapsed time... ijs!

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 03:34 AM

ISAF Case 15.

In that case, the outside boat was entitled to mark room and is prevented from tacking by a windward boat.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by mbounds

ISAF Case 15.

In that case, the outside boat was entitled to mark room and is prevented from tacking by a windward boat.

True, but that describes a very different case, in which the outside boat was the one with the mark room. Actually, there was no "inside" or "outside" boat, it was a clear ahead/clear astern situation (clear ahead boat sailing on a line more to leeward of the clear behind boat). In that case, the boat clear ahead is hosed because he can't tack without breaking rule 13 (which is what the entire case actually hinges upon).

In the case we're discussing, it's the inside boat that is entitled to mark room, and is therefore limited per the definition of mark room. This is 100% verified by ISAF Case 21 (quoted below). In Case 21, they mention that there is no specific amount of room that is required to be given, as it is dependent on the conditions, but the mark-room boat must sail in a seamanlike manner. All of this aligns with my posts above.

Mike

Originally Posted by ISAF CASE 21
CASE 21
Definitions, Mark-Room
Definitions, Room
When a right-of-way boat is obligated to give mark-room to
a boat overlapped inside her, there is no maximum or
minimum amount of space that she must give. The amount
of space that she must give depends significantly on the
existing conditions including wind and sea conditions, the
speed of the inside boat, the sails she has set and her design
characteristics.
Question
When rule 18 requires a right-of-way boat to give mark-room to an inside
boat that overlaps her, what is the maximum amount of space that she
must give? What is the minimum amount of space that she must give?
Answer
In this situation, the definition Mark-Room states that the inside boat is
entitled to room for four manoeuvres:
 Room to leave the mark on the required side.
 Room to sail to the mark, but only if the inside boat’s proper
course is to sail close to the mark.
 Room to round the mark as necessary to sail the course.
 Room to tack, but only if these additional conditions are met: the
inside boat is overlapped to windward of the outside boat, the tack
is part of the rounding necessary to sail the course, and the inside
boat would be fetching the mark after her tack.
The definitions Room and Mark-Room do not include any reference to a
maximum or minimum amount of space, and no rule implies that the rightof-
way outside boat must give a maximum or minimum amount of space.
She must give the inside boat the space she needs in the existing
conditions to carry out those manoeuvres promptly in a seamanlike way.
In addition, the inside boat is entitled to space to avoid touching the mark
and space for her to comply with her obligations under the rules of Part 2
with respect to the outside boat as well as any other nearby boats.
The term ‘existing conditions’ deserves consideration. For example, the
inside one of two dinghies approaching a mark on a placid lake in light air
will need relatively little space beyond that required for her hull and
properly trimmed sails. At the other extreme, when two keel boats, on
open water with steep seas, are approaching a mark that is being tossed
about widely and unpredictably, the inside boat may need a full hull length
of space or even more to ensure safety. A boat with a spinnaker flying
often needs more space than one with her spinnaker stowed. A boat that is
planing or surfing may require less space to turn than a boat that is
climbing a steep wave. The ‘existing conditions’ also include
characteristics of the inside boat. For example, a boat with a long keel or a
multihull may require more space to round a mark than a more easily
turned monohull. A boat with a large rudder may need less space to turn
than a boat with a small rudder.
The phrase ‘manoeuvring promptly in a seamanlike way’ has implications
for both boats. First, it addresses the inside boat, saying she is not entitled
to complain of insufficient space if she fails to execute with reasonable
efficiency the handling of her helm, sheets and sails while manoeuvring. It
also implies that the outside boat must provide enough space so that the
inside boat need not manoeuvre in an extraordinary or abnormal manner
(see also Case 103).

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 11:38 AM

I'm sorry Mike, but you're wrong. All of that describes the obligations of the outside boat. There is nothing that obligates the inside boat to tack.

Think of it this way - why would you ever go into this situation as the windward boat with an overlap? I'd do everything I could to break that overlap before the leeward boat enters the zone. It makes no sense.

If you need further convincing, look at Team Race Call E12.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 12:15 PM

That case doesn't give the windward boat more rights, it exposes when the outside boat no longer needs to give room to tack.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 01:05 PM

ISAF Case 15.

True, but that describes a very different case, in which the outside boat was the one with the mark room.

You asked for a case cite to defend my interpretation, and ISAF Case 15 matches my statement. It is a direct answer to your question.

Actually, there was no "inside" or "outside" boat, it was a clear ahead/clear astern situation

Take another look at Rule 18. RRS 18.2(b) says "If boats are overlapped when the first of them reaches the zone, the outside boat at that moment shall thereafter give the inside boat mark-room. If a boat is clear ahead when she reaches the zone, the boat clear astern at that moment shall thereafter give her mark-room". RRS 18.2(c)(1) says "when a boat is required to give mark-room by rule 18.2(b), she shall continue to do so even if later an overlap is broken or a new overlap begins".

Once the first boat reaches the zone, the obligation to give mark-room is set. It doesn't matter if later the boats become overlapped or ahead/astern. The obligation is unchanged as long as the conditions of RRS 18.1 and 18.2(c) hold. ISAF Case 15 would not change at all if the two boats became overlapped after reaching the zone.

In the case we're discussing, it's the inside boat that is entitled to mark room, and is therefore limited per the definition of mark room. This is 100% verified by ISAF Case 21

In a scenario where the outside/leeward boat owes the inside/windward boat mark-room, then the mark room she must give includes room to tack. ISAF Case 21 explains in greater detail how much room the outside boat is obligated to give. The definition of mark-room, however, does not place any obligations on the boat entitled to mark-room. Nor does Case 21. The inside/windward boat is not required to tack. She may, if she wishes, do exactly as the windward/astern boat does in Case 15.

In short, Case 21 is not relevant.

If you still assert that a boat entitled to mark-room is obligated to tack at the mark, then please cite the rule that says so.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 01:07 PM

Think of it this way - why would you ever go into this situation as the windward boat with an overlap?

If I understand your question, the windward (overlapped) boat is subject the the leeward boat going head-to-wind and forcing the windward boat into a less than desirable position? Except for the notion that they are in the mark 2/3-boat circle?

What if the two boats are unequal in performance (which would explain the different TWA pointing)? And the "inside"/windward ahead boat (pointing lower) enters the circle not overlapped by "outside" clear astern boat?

What options are available for the outside boat which would otherwise crawl all up in the inside boats shizzle?

If the inside boat (already pointing lower) overstands the mark, is the outside boat at their mercy all the way to Timbucktoo?

Were both of these boats on port tack in the original setup of this question?

I can guess that the parade of starboard boats would really turn this in to a fluster cluck of almost biblical proportions (and worthy of Youtube coverage)

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 01:10 PM

This is not about the windward boat having more rights. It's about windward having an obligation to tack. There is no obligation for the windward boat to tack.

If there was an obligation for windward to tack, the penalty would have been on them - but there was no penalty.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 01:21 PM

Btw, that is 6 or 7 rules that came into play, in the span of 4 boat lengths, or roughly 90 feet, or roughly 16 to 17 feet per second, or about 6 seconds worth of elapsed time... ijs!

Yes, this is a complicated scenario. The relationship between the boats changes several times. That's why it's good to work out these encounters on shore ahead-of-time so you'll know what to do when the situation arises.

The pivotal rules in this instance are RRS 18.2(b), and the definition of mark-room. The boat that was clear astern when the other one reached the mark was obligated to give her mark-room. With the assumptions given, she did not.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
What options are available for the outside boat...?

If the inside boat (already pointing lower) overstands the mark, is the outside boat at their mercy all the way to Timbucktoo?

I can guess that the parade of starboard boats would really turn this in to a ...

Beginning at the end and working backwards, Rule 18 is written to discourage a boat from coming to a windward mark (to be left to port) on the port-tack layline. She is not entitled to mark-room from and must keep clear of all boats on starboard tack. Unless a gap for her appears at the right moment, she's going to be in trouble. That's why we sometimes call it "suicide port". The top sailors all recommend coming into a windward mark on port 5-10 boatlengths away. Pick a spot and tack onto starboard before reaching the zone. Then the rules all work to your advantage at the mark.

If two boats are approaching a windward mark (to be rounded to port) on port tack, then the downwind boat - even if she's clear ahead - is in jeopardy. A boat on her weather hip can control her tack. Even if the astern boat is obligated to keep clear under Rule 12 and owes mark-room under Rule 18.2(b), she can still delay tacking until it's to her advantage.

If you're the clear ahead boat at the zone in this circumstance, then your best option is to scrape the other boat off at the mark. Pinch up or shoot the mark without leaving enough room for the other boat to get between you and the mark. Keep your momentum going as you pass head-to-wind and tack right around the mark. The other boat will have to miss the mark (if so, be careful to avoid her when you tack) or duck you and round behind. If she sticks her nose in anyway, then take avoiding action and protest.

If you have understood the layline and can't prevent the other boat from getting inside, then you're out of luck. If you're overlapped to leeward at the zone, then not only does the other boat control your tack, but you also have to give her mark-room (which then includes room to tack). Your only recourse is to turn head-to-wind and hope the other boat tacks. Then you can tack too, but you're probably behind at that point.

I hope that helps,
Eric
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 02:47 PM

great debate!!!

Just because you THINK you are ahead.... at some intermediate point of the race course... the rules of the game are determinative... You have to plan your corners.

(now...I have been known to wait and wait and wait before tacking because... "the air is just not clean enough...." Always a huge mistake because it is putting me on port tack in the zone....)

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 04:20 PM

This is a great debate. I need to think about this a bit more, I'm not sold that mark room entitles you to sail off the course. I could buy that the inside boat can slow down but not tack within the reasonable space considered as mark room, but I don't think they can continue on past the mark room space, and expect to be able to keep the leeward boat from tacking. At some point, mark room ends, and the leeward boat can head the windward to up beyond head to wind.

As I understand it, the windward boat would have fouled by taking too much as mark room. This might be the crux of our disagreement.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 04:25 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking, too, Mike.

Am I to presume you might be able to sail all the way to the other end of the 2-boat circle?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 04:56 PM

Case 103 really helps. It's a good discussion about how a jury is to decide how much mark room is appropriate. There are lots of factors to consider.

Eric, regarding Case 15 here, I continue to respectfully disagree that it applies to the original case of this thread. Even the abstract in the front of the book tells you that Case 15 is ultimately about Rule 13.

BTW, for any of you new to racing or serving on a jury, please view this debate as normal and healthy. This is why we have multiple judges and closed deliberations, it ultimately results in better decisions.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 05:14 PM

I'm not sold that mark room entitles you to sail off the course. ... I don't think they can continue on past the mark room space, and expect to be able to keep the leeward boat from tacking. At some point, mark room ends, and the leeward boat can head the windward to up beyond head to wind

Let's back up a bit. The definitions do not impose obligations on a boat - the numbered rules do that. The definitions are simply explanations of what the terms used specifically mean. A boat cannot break the rule "mark-room", and the definition itself does not impose restrictions on a boat's actions.

Rule 18 imposes the obligation on one boat to give another boat mark-room. Rule 18.4 also restricts an inside overlapped right-of-way from sailing beyond her proper course before gybing. There is no corollary rule about tacking.

"Mark-room" does not entitle a boat to sail off the course, but it does not prohibit a boat from doing so either. It is not "mark-room" that prevents a boat to leeward (or ahead) from tacking, it is rule 13. Once that boat passes head-to-wind, she must keep clear of the other boat. If she can't keep clear, then she can't tack. She may turn head-to-wind, but not beyond.

No rule restricts a boat from sailing beyond her proper course before tacking, whether at or away from a mark. A boat in a controlling position may drive another boat beyond the mark, out of the zone, and all the way to the edge of the racecourse to gain a tactical advantage.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 05:15 PM

please view this debate as normal and healthy. This is why we have multiple judges and closed deliberations, it ultimately results in better decisions.

Hope this helps.

Mike

+1 This is a great discussion and your input is a valued part of the debate

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 05:57 PM

Eric, regarding Case 15 here, I continue to respectfully disagree that it applies to the original case of this thread.

No, it applies to my previous statement "I'll go you one further and say that even if you AREN'T entitled to mark-room from (and in fact, even if you owe mark-room to) an outside/leeward boat, you CAN drive her beyond the mark. She can take you head-to-wind, but you are not obligated to tack, nor to give her room to tack."

I don't have an ISAF Case citation that is an exact match to the scenario posted, but then again, the boat entitled to mark-room tacked when she reached the layline. She didn't push the leeward boat away from the mark.

You asserted that a boat entitled to mark-room must tack within that mark-room, which is what we're discussing now. I asked you to justify that statement with a rule reference. Cases about how much room is enough, and how to interpret the term "seamanlike" are not germane.

Can you identify any rule, case, or appeal that states a boat is ever "obligated to tack and round the mark"?

Sincerely,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 06:14 PM

I think we're getting closer. I still see the definition of mark room as being restrictive: the inside boat is entitled to room to round the mark, not room to sail to Canada then come back and round the mark.

I've searched the case book, and wonder if there isn't a case cited simply because once outside of the reasonable space defined as mark-room, the inside (windward) boat would be breaking other Part 2 rules if she didn't headup when luffed, etc.

Put it this way, if I'm outside and leeward, you're inside and windward, the seas are flat, the breeze is moderate and no one else is around. As soon as you pass the lay line, I'm heading you up to tack. I'll follow the rules and keep clear while turning, but what rules are going to be on your side if you don't respond?

BTW spectators, Eric, Matt and I typically agree on most of these...

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 06:38 PM

Put it this way, if I'm outside and leeward, you're inside and windward, the seas are flat, the breeze is moderate and no one else is around. As soon as you pass the lay line, I'm heading you up to tack. I'll follow the rules and keep clear while turning, but what rules are going to be on your side if you don't respond?

As I said previously, the leeward boat (L) may turn head-to-wind, provided she complies with rules 16.1, 17 and 18.2(b). The windward boat (W) must, in accordance with rule 11, head up to keep clear. If, however, L passes head-to-wind, then she must keep clear and rule 15 does not protect her. W need not turn past head-to-wind.

Mark-room or no mark-room, W is not obligated to tack.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 06:41 PM

Looking back, the only place above that I mentioned "obligated to tack" was in reference to taking too much room to tack due to issues on the boat. Without calling up the reference at the time, my point in that post was to point out the principles of room and seamanlike actions, as expressed in Case 103.

I will agree that "obligated to tack" doesn't appear in the rules, but stick to the interpretation that mark room does not give a boat ROW, and is limited per the definitions.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 07:11 PM

Looking back, the only place above that I mentioned "obligated to tack" was in reference to taking too much room to tack due to issues on the boat.

I will agree that "obligated to tack" doesn't appear in the rules, but stick to the interpretation that mark room does not give a boat ROW, and is limited per the definitions.

Of course, Rule 18 does not change which boat has right-of-way (although it used to). My entire purpose for starting this thread was to encourage people to view the rules in terms of obligations rather than rights.

When Rule 18 obligates a boat to give another boat mark-room, it does not, nor does the definition of "mark-room" impose any additional obligations on the boat entitled to mark-room. "Mark-room" is a burden placed solely on one boat.

A boat entitled to mark-room may freely sail outside of that mark-room without breaking any rule. She simply is not protected by rule 21 if she does so.

In previous posts, you said:
  1. "In both cases, you are obligated to tack and round the mark",
  2. "If you're entitled to mark-room over an outside/leeward boat, you can't sail away from the mark just for strategic reasons",
  3. "it's the inside boat that is entitled to mark room, and is therefore limited per the definition of mark room",
  4. "I could buy that the inside boat can slow down but not tack within the reasonable space considered as mark room, but I don't think they can continue on past the mark room space", and
  5. "At some point, mark room ends, and the leeward boat can head the windward to up beyond head to wind".
If you aren't arguing that W is obligated to tack, what are you arguing for?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 07:43 PM

My argument is pretty simple.

In terms of obligations: An outside boat is not obligated to allow an inside boat to sail her off the course. Nothing said here by you or Matt has convinced me otherwise.

I will agree that unless L luffs to force the tack (and keeps clear, etc.), they can sail away and W isn't "obligated to tack." But, L is not obligated to allow this to happen once the point of reasonable mark room has passed.

Mike

EDIT: In my head, this is simple. Thanks for pushing me to clarify here.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 08:29 PM

A boat in a controlling position may drive another boat beyond the mark, out of the zone, and all the way to the edge of the racecourse to gain a tactical advantage.

Kinda like what Jimmy did to Deano last year at Mark 1, then the next race Deano did to Jimmy.

I can remember at N20 Nationals in Pensacola several years back Boog driving Alex/Nigel all the way to a pier on the shore. Nigel was soooo pissed.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 09:09 PM

An outside boat is not obligated to allow an inside boat to sail her off the course. Nothing said here by you or Matt has convinced me otherwise.

I will agree that unless L luffs to force the tack (and keeps clear, etc.), they can sail away and W isn't "obligated to tack." But, L is not obligated to allow this to happen once the point of reasonable mark room has passed.

Mike,

That might seem right to you, but it simply isn't what the rulebook says.

Sorry,
Eric
US SAILING Certified Judge

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 09:20 PM

I disagree. I'll try to come up with a diagram.

What rule would keep L from doing exactly what I describe above?

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 09:45 PM

What rule would keep L from doing exactly what I describe above?

The leeward boat cannot "force" another boat to tack. If I'm the weather boat, I'm not going above head to wind. If I keep clear until you are head to wind, I've satisfied the requirements of rule 11. If there is contact after that, then you've gone past head to wind (and thus subject to 13) - and you're out.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 10:14 PM

No, Rule 13 restricts tacking. I'm saying that under rule 11 and 16.1, L can luff W such that W has to tack to keep clear, then L can tack and sail to the mark. I contend that per the definition of mark room and Cases 21 and 103, mark room is a finite (condition-based) entity, and L is free to perform this maneuver as soon as W has passed that point.

I'm not talking about any contact, so let's keep that off the table.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 10:55 PM

I've been looking for that all day. I thought there was a more descriptive rule about luffing rights, and was pretty sure that if L can luff hard enough (while keeping clear and not passing head to wind), and W has to tack to keep clear, L didn't foul. I couldn't find it in the cases or appeals, either.

You can't find it in the rules, cases, or appeals because it doesn't exist. "Luffing rights" is a term that, like "mast abeam" has been obsolete for over 15 years.

But, at least we're moving away from the mark room defense here?

I don't know - are you?

Mike, surely with your background in match race umpiring you must be well aware that one boat can sometimes control another -- even if the other boat has right-of-way. A boat behind and to weather, or a boat overlapped to windward can prevent the other boat from tacking. That is a fundamental part of pre-start maneuvering in match racing (and this is one instance where the match racing and fleet racing rules coincide).

As said several times already, this is about rule 13. Mark-room has nothing to do with it. Mark-room imposes no special obligation to tack, nor gives any special exemptions from the obligations of rule 13.

Read rule 18.1(a), 18.2(b), 18.2(c), the definition of mark-room, and rules 11, 12, and 13 again. Then take another look at ISAF Case 15. You'll see that the windward boat can prevent the leeward boat's tack because of rule 13. It doesn't matter if L has right-of-way due to rule 12 or rule 11. If the boats were overlapped, the outcome would be unchanged. You should also see that rule 18 and mark-room have no bearing on the matter. It doesn't matter which boat owes the other one mark-room (or indeed, if neither one does). It's simply the case that L cannot pass head-to-wind and keep clear of W as required by rule 13.

You're reading more into "mark-room" than exists in the rules.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 11:13 PM

I'm saying that under rule 11 and 16.1, L can luff W such that W has to tack to keep clear...

If L turns head-to-wind (but not beyond) in such a manner that W cannot keep clear by also turning head-to-wind (but not beyond) in a seamanlike way, then L breaks rule 16.1.

Provided she complies with RRS 18.2(b), RRS 17 (if applicable) and RRS 16.1, L may turn head-to-wind. W must respond and keep clear per RRS 11 (or 12, whichever is applicable), but W is not under any obligation to tack, and L cannot compel her to.

I think we've beaten this topic to death, and I'm certainly tired of repeating myself so please, if you still think that a boat is required to tack at a mark, quote the rule that says so.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/10/14 11:38 PM

I'm really just having an issue with the idea that you and Matt stated that mark room entitles a windward boat to travel well off the course.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 12:01 AM

I'm really just having an issue with the idea that you and Matt stated that mark room entitles a windward boat to travel well off the course.

Well then you need to go back and reread our posts. We've both said from the beginning that mark-room has nothing to do with it - just rule 13. It isn't about "entitlement", it's about "obligations".

And, for (at least) the seventh time, please quote the rule that prohibits a windward boat from doing so. When I refer to an obligation under the rules, I cite the rule number and, if necessary, quote the rule text. Now it's your turn.

I'll give you a hint. The only rule that requires a boat to tack is RRS 20.2(d), and it has nothing at all to do with the scenario presented here.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 12:14 AM

Already did that...

...I'm saying that under rule 11 and 16.1, L can luff W such that W has to tack to keep clear, then L can tack and sail to the mark. I contend that per the definition of mark room and Cases 21 and 103, mark room is a finite (condition-based) entity, and L is free to perform this maneuver as soon as W has passed that point.

I'm not talking about any contact, so let's keep that off the table.

Mike

I admitted a few posts back that "obligated to tack" wasn't correct.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 12:21 AM

I live diagram would go a long way here. I understand this, but I can imagine where it can be confusing when reading the whole thread. Let me ask this a different way and maybe Mike sees it from a different perspective.
You'll see that the windward boat can prevent the leeward boat's tack because of rule 13. It doesn't matter if L has right-of-way due to rule 12 or rule 11.

Rule 13 states "During that time rules 10, 11 and 12 do not apply."

also that "If two boats are subject to this rule at the same time, the one on the other’s port side or the one astern shall keep clear."

So when does Rule 11 and 12 reapply?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by P.M.
So when does Rule 11 and 12 reapply?

When one or both boats reach a close-hauled course.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 12:43 AM

Let's ask it a different way: when does 13 apply?

I contend that L can luff to the moon, without tacking, while keeping clear. The only rules that apply are 11 and 16.1. 13 doesn't apply until L crosses head-to-wind, correct? If that's true, L can luff, W would likely tack away, then L can tack and follow.

This all started as a discussion about mark-room. L can't do the above maneuver while she owes mark-room to W. However, that is a finite area, and L is free to luff as soon as W passes the point where luffing would put W into the mark or prevent W from tacking to round the mark as the inside boat.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 01:10 AM

OK, I've re-read this. I think we're saying the same thing for the case at hand. Other than my incorrect statement about "obligated to tack" which seems to have derailed into the Case 15 /Rule 13 issue, which does not apply to the original case in this thread in any way.

BTW, I'm posting this as I pack the RV for a regatta this weekend (Roton Point). Hope you all get a chance to be on the water this weekend!

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 12:38 PM

Mike,

It sounds like we're in violent agreement after all. Good luck at Roton Point.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 01:51 PM

Two minutes in person with boat models, and I'm sure we would have been there days ago...

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 02:34 PM

and both of the boats in question would lose out to the fleet which parades to the mark while they're forcing the issue on each other smile

Great if you're trying to pin a boat to secure an overall points lead. Sucks if you're doing it just to prove a point.

Great if you're in a serious fleet (semi-pro or pro) for big prize
Sucks if your a weekender taking things waaay too seriously

But, thanks to this discussion I've spent more time with the RRS than I had in the past year...

it's like sitting in a protest room.... without having to endure the protest room.

And no one called anyone else a profanity...

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 02:43 PM

Don't forget the case books and appeals! Those books are priceless to round out your knowledge of the rules, you can also learn some good plays from them. It also helps a lot if you can employ a case/appeal during a protest.

You're absolutely right about the practicality of some of these tactics, which was a thought running through my mind during the entire discussion, but doesn't change the rules or obligations. Even if a boat in a controlling position is being penny wise and pound foolish (losing the fleet), you need to know what to do to avoid fouling her.

And, Matt's probably been in the last-race, match-race within a fleet race position more than most folks here.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 08:00 PM

I know a picture is worth 1,000 words. Has anyone used "Boat Scenario"? I found it on the web looking for diagrams.

If you do use it, can you cut/paste/insert it here somehow?
Posted By: tshan

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 08:11 PM

Wow...

Talk about port tack into the windward mark/offset mark

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 08:15 PM

looked like port started to duck and then changed their mind...

holy gelcoat, batman
Posted By: tshan

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 08:19 PM

No way they were shooting that gap anyway. Bad place to be.

I looked up the race results M87 (port) had a DNF in the last three races (looks like they lost a rudder, too) - but the boat that followed M87 in there (T18) finished 8th (out of 79) in the regatta (6th in that race - they made up some ground).

T18 could easily have been DSQ that race or at least penalized and had to do turns. Is that incorrect or were they close enough to the mark where other rules come into play (note: I realize that the orange mark is an offset mark and the windward mark is the yellow mark)?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 08:22 PM

+1, that doesn't look like a hack-fleet who's going to let someone get away with murder/port-tacking the fleet.
Posted By: bobcat

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 08:38 PM

I am surprised by all the talk of luffing head to wind.
In this scenario, the overlap developed with a clear astern boat overlapping to leeward. Isn't L obligated to not sail above her proper course by rule 17
If a boat clear astern becomes overlapped within two of her hull lengths to leeward of a boat on the same tack, she shall not sail above her proper course while they remain on the same tack and overlapped within that distance, unless in doing so she promptly sails astern of the other boat.

Is that because her proper course would be to tack?
Proper Course
A course a boat would sail to finish as soon as possible in the absence of the other boats referred to in the rule using the term.

Because I don't see sailing head to wind as the way to finish as soon as possible. Her proper course takes her head to wind but then is unable to complete the tack because 13 switches on?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/11/14 09:26 PM

Yes.

Because L established overlap to leeward from clear astern within two boatlengths of W, L may not sail above her proper course (rule 17). Also, because W was clear ahead when she reached the zone, L must give W mark-room (rule 18.2(b)).

So, as they approach the mark, L may not luff-up, and she must allow W to sail to the mark. When they reach the starboard-tack layline, however, L's proper course (the course she would sail in the absence of L) is to tack. Also, L's tacking would not prevent W from rounding the mark. Therefore, neither rule 17 nor rule 18.2(b) prevents L from tacking.

Rule 13 though, would kick in the moment L passed head-to-wind. L is free to turn head-to-wind provided she gives W room to keep clear (per rule 16.1). If W wishes, however, she may prevent L from tacking by placing herself in a position where L would be unable to keep clear after passing head-to-wind.

As a practical matter, W most likely would (and in this scenario did) tack. If W's goal is to extend her lead on L, then she can hold L at head-to-wind until L loses headway and then tack.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/12/14 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I know a picture is worth 1,000 words. Has anyone used "Boat Scenario"? I found it on the web looking for diagrams.

If you do use it, can you cut/paste/insert it here somehow?

[Linked Image]

Attached picture CatSailor1.png

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/12/14 12:50 PM

Thanks Eric! That totally sums this up, and the pic helps a lot.

As for that video, just another example of the complete and utter misuse/overuse of the word "epic." Had the bow entered the hull, I might think otherwise. Having that out of my system, who wants to walk through the rules and obligations?

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/12/14 03:32 PM

[Linked Image]

The problem with using Boat Scenario is that the time scale is hard to get right between different tracks. This diagram illustrates that perfectly.

For example, between positions 1 and 2, blue moves almost two boat lengths, whereas yellow moves just a bit more than 1 - meaning that blue is moving twice as fast as yellow, even though yellow is sailing a lower course and should be going significantly faster.

It's something that takes a bit of thought when drawing these scenarios.

Also, the little S curve in blue's track between positions 4 and 5 is unrealistic - unless there was a current going from left to right.

It's easy to make boats do the impossible when creating these diagrams. Getting them right takes some skill - and playing the animation over and over until it looks right.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/12/14 10:04 PM

As for that video, ... who wants to walk through the rules and obligations?

Rule 10. Oh, and rule 14 too. Port was obligated to keep clear and did not. Port was obligated to avoid contact and did not. It was not reasonably possible for S to avoid contact, so she did not break any rules.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/12/14 10:20 PM

The problem with using Boat Scenario is that the time scale is hard to get right between different tracks. This diagram illustrates that perfectly.

BoatScenario is by no means a perfect tool, but it is relatively simple to use and allows one to cobble-up these diagrams without too much fuss.

For example, between positions 1 and 2, blue moves almost two boat lengths, whereas yellow moves just a bit more than 1 - meaning that blue is moving twice as fast as yellow, even though yellow is sailing a lower course and should be going significantly faster.

The initial description said that the windward boat had overstood the layline but was sailing slower than the leeward boat. W was clear ahead at the zone, but later became overlapped, just as the diagram shows.

Also, the little S curve in blue's track between positions 4 and 5 is unrealistic - unless there was a current going from left to right.

Please pretend the little s-curve is a straight line. It is an artifact of how BoatScenario draws tracks, not an intentional representation of Blue's course. I tried to get the boat positions and headings right and didn't worry too much about the track lines.

Yes, the program is imperfect. Yes, it does introduce errata when animating. Yes, there are situations that BoatScenario simply won't draw (such as sailing by the lee). Nevertheless, if I had to resort to a less convenient tool (say, Corel Draw), I wouldn't have posted a drawing at all.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/12/14 11:58 PM

Rule 10. Oh, and rule 14 too. Port was obligated to keep clear and did not. Port was obligated to avoid contact and did not. It was not reasonably possible for S to avoid contact, so she did not break any rules.

I disagree with S not being reasonably possible to avoid contact. They made virtually no attempt to alter course - they waggled a little bit, then t-boned P directly amidships. Deer in the headlights. They could have headed up, just as the boat behind them did (and avoided the situation entirely). Their spinnaker was only 1/2 way up when the collision happened, so that wasn't preventing them from luffing up.

Re: the boat scenario diagram - I knew you put that together quickly, so don't take my criticism personally - I just wanted to point out that even "pretty" diagrams can be misleading. You have to really think about what you're looking at and decide if it makes sense.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 12:06 AM

I disagree with S not being reasonably possible to avoid contact. They made virtually no attempt to alter course - they waggled a little bit, then t-boned P directly amidships. Deer in the headlights. They could have headed up, just as the boat behind them did (and avoided the situation entirely). Their spinnaker was only 1/2 way up when the collision happened, so that wasn't preventing them from luffing up.

Re: the boat scenario diagram - I knew you put that together quickly, so don't take my criticism personally - I just wanted to point out that even "pretty" diagrams can be misleading. You have to really think about what you're looking at and decide if it makes sense.

I watched that a couple of times thinking the same thing...but for a moment there they did that dancy thing where S went to starboard as P went to port...both tried to counter by making the opposite move and bang.

Watch it twice - one time keep your eyes trained on S. Then have a second go and keep your eyes trained on P. I think you'll see both of them try to avoid in the same direction and the counter in the same direction right before it's too late.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 12:13 AM

Seems like we can't get most people to recreate the boat tracks the same way twice with model boats in the room, either. To say nothing of what the hand-drawn "diagrams" look like on the protest forms. I don't even know why they're there, seems that most people either can't draw (usually self-admitted), or draw something that in no way matches the written description. It's amazing how much different the testimony is as well. All part of the fun of being a judge, I guess!

As for the video, I think that would pass as non issue for S, because without the video, I'd almost guarantee that the jury couldn't decide definitively from the testimony that S could have avoided. But, with the video, I think S was changing course the whole time, and most likely completely focused on getting the chute up.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 12:33 AM

I disagree with S not being reasonably possible to avoid contact. They made virtually no attempt to alter course...

At time 0:36, M87 (on port tack) turned down to sail in front of H7 (on starboard tack). At time 0:37, they made contact.

In that one second, just how much do you think H7 could have done? Even if she took no time at all to assess the situation, and put the helm hard over, at 7+ kts boatspeed they'd almost certainly still collide.

Remember that a right-of-way boat need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear. See RRS 14(a) and ISAF Case 87.

Given the video shown, I'd be very surprised if any jury penalized H7. This is about as cut-and-dried as it gets.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 12:40 AM

Re: the boat scenario diagram - I knew you put that together quickly, so don't take my criticism personally - I just wanted to point out that even "pretty" diagrams can be misleading.

I drew what I understood the situation to be from the written description provided. Do you think the diagram conflicts with the text in any significant way? If so, how?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 01:21 AM

... seems that most people either can't draw (usually self-admitted), or draw something that in no way matches the written description. It's amazing how much different the testimony is as well. All part of the fun of being a judge, I guess!

Absolutely. The hard part of hearing a protest is figuring out what happened on the racecourse. Applying the rules is easy in comparison.

I recall a "facts found" writeup floating around the judges community a while back that began: "two boats, sailing in different regattas on different bodies of water, both on starboard tack and both to leeward, made contact..."

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 02:20 AM

I disagree with S not being reasonably possible to avoid contact. They made virtually no attempt to alter course...

At time 0:36, M87 (on port tack) turned down to sail in front of H7 (on starboard tack). At time 0:37, they made contact.

In that one second, just how much do you think H7 could have done? Even if she took no time at all to assess the situation, and put the helm hard over, at 7+ kts boatspeed they'd almost certainly still collide.

Remember that a right-of-way boat need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear. See RRS 14(a) and ISAF Case 87.

Given the video shown, I'd be very surprised if any jury penalized H7. This is about as cut-and-dried as it gets.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Admittedly, without the video, it would be very difficult to determine this.

However, at 0:33, H7 rounds the offset and M87 (and another boat on port) are already in the frame - about 3 boatlengths away. H7's only way to avoid collision is to head up - and instead, they bear away.

Watch the port boat behind M87 and the two starboard boats behind H7. They managed to avoid a collision, why couldn't H7? Because he had his head in the boat - when there were not one, but two port boats on a collision course.

"Not reasonably possible?" Not when you t-bone someone dead square amidships at a right angle - and when there are other boats that manage to avoid a collision in similar circumstances.

I'm very well aware of 14(a) and Case 87. Take a look at Case 123. This one doesn't pass the sniff test when you look at the video. DSQ RRS 14(a).

Matt Bounds
US Sailing National Race Officer
US Sailing Regional Judge

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 02:36 AM

Re: the boat scenario diagram - I knew you put that together quickly, so don't take my criticism personally - I just wanted to point out that even "pretty" diagrams can be misleading.

I drew what I understood the situation to be from the written description provided. Do you think the diagram conflicts with the text in any significant way? If so, how?

"Slightly slower" does not equal half as fast. The "squiggle" isn't really significant, but you told me to "please ignore it". Well, if I have to ignore that, then what else should I ignore? (I've heard that before from an IJ).

Eric, I'm not trying to niggle - I was just pointing out that just because Boat Scenario diagrams are pretty, doesn't mean they are 100% accurate.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 04:45 AM

FWIW, I agree with parts of what both of you are saying. "Reasonable" without the video is going to be almost impossible. Even with the video, it might be hard for some juries to get there. It was a fast incident, near a mark that starboard boats normally round and turn downwind. I know that P doesn't have to anticipate S's course change, but it is a very basic part of the game to round that mark in the manner that they did. No excuse at all for S not watching for traffic, however.

Separate from 10 and 14, here's something I would also discuss during a hearing: As I noted above, S was changing course throughout, both in rounding the mark and the "deer" wiggle. P could make a compelling case that under 16.1, S should be DSQ.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 12:28 PM

However, at 0:33, H7 rounds the offset and M87 (and another boat on port) are already in the frame - about 3 boatlengths away. H7's only way to avoid collision is to head up - and instead, they bear away.

At time 0:33, M87 (Port) was still sailing a course (or could turn to a course) to sail behind H7 (Starboard). M87 does not turn in front of H7 until 0:36.

H7 was not obligated to anticipate M87's turn-down and attempt to cross. She had every reason to expect M87 to avoid her. See ISAF Case 27, which states "a boat is not required to anticipate that another boat will break a rule".

Watch the port boat behind M87 and the two starboard boats behind H7. They managed to avoid a collision, why couldn't H7? Because he had his head in the boat - when there were not one, but two port boats on a collision course.

I have watched the video and did not see another boat on a collision course with M87. There is another boat that could have read-ended H7 if she turned down, but she did not.

"Not reasonably possible?" Not when you t-bone someone dead square amidships at a right angle - and when there are other boats that manage to avoid a collision in similar circumstances.

Yes. I do not think it is reasonably possible to turn a 28ft boat that is going over 7kts 90 degrees within a 6ft radius in one second in a seamanlike way given no time plan the maneuver nor inform the crew .

I'm very well aware of 14(a) and Case 87. Take a look at Case 123. This one doesn't pass the sniff test when you look at the video.

I've looked at Case 123 and don't believe it applies. At time 0:33, which is when you say H7 needs to react, it is not "clear to a competent, but not necessarily expert, sailor...that there is a substantial risk of contact". At that time, M87 could still pass above H7. She doesn't commit to the cross until time 0:36.

I thought for sure you'd refer to Case 26

DSQ RRS 14(a).

Have you determined from the video evidence that there was damage or injury? It isn't clear to me that there was either. Even if you feel H7 broke rule 14, she might be exonerated under rule 14(b). Oh, and by the way 14(a) is the exception part of the rule, stating "need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear".

Regards,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 01:24 PM

Thanks all for contributing to this learning. I've got another one for ya, probably much simpler, but I'll save that for another time. I've been able to cut down the video to about when windward enters the zone. Admittedly you cant see leeward or the contact directly. You can see/ feel and possible here it. What I'm interested in now is, did I described the situation correctly? When I desribed the situation, I tried to take a facts found approach and was able to get both boats to agree on the facts... mostly. Leeward thought they were overlapped. Incidentally, most people think they are overlapped I'm finding.

Video here: http://youtu.be/5btrp8opIuQ

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 11:30 PM

Are you saying that at time 0:33, M87 (port) is already unable to avoid contact? It appears to me that M87 could avoid H7 at least up until time 0:35, by slowing down, luffing up, or tacking.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/13/14 11:45 PM

"Slightly slower" does not equal half as fast. The "squiggle" isn't really significant, but you told me to "please ignore it". Well, if I have to ignore that, then what else should I ignore? (I've heard that before from an IJ).

I invite you to produce a diagram that perfectly matches the text description without any inconsistencies, artifacts, nor room for interpretation.

Boat Scenario diagrams are pretty, doesn't mean they are 100% accurate.

While it is true that diagrams do not tell the whole story, it is also true that text does not either. Both, when presented by parties or witnesses, constitute testimony. Both, when supplied by or endorsed by protest committee, constitute facts found. Neither supercedes the other. See Case 104 which states "neither written facts nor diagrammed facts take precedence over the other".

It's a mistake to dismiss diagrams as "just pretty pictures".

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/14/14 01:38 AM

Eric, you obviously have more time to devote to this than I do.

I will agree to disagree.

BTW, if there was no damage/injury as a result of a 1700 lb boat+crew t-boning another boat, I'm Father Christmas.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/14/14 02:33 AM

I'll explain how avoiding contact works, both practically and under the rules.

When two boats meet, and let's say it is a starboard/port situation, there is a last possible moment when each boat may act to avoid contact. I'll call them TS (time starboard must act) and TP (time port must act). The two times are not necessarily the same -- in fact, they are usually different times. It is entirely possible that TS is earlier than TP.

At time TS, the starboard tack boat (S) has a "genuine and reasonable apprehension of collision", and may take avoiding action. The port boat (P) then breaks rule 10. See ISAF Case 50. When I'm the starboard boat in this situation, I wait until the last possible moment when I can insure there will be no contact and act then. I believe that is good practice and encourage others to do the same. In the scenario in question, that might be time 0:33.

That is not, however, what the rules require. RRS 14(a) states "a right-of-way boat ... need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear". Even though it's a good idea to act at time TS, boat S is not required to act until time TP. At time TP, it may well be too late for S to be able to keep clear. Even if there is contact, and even if that contact causes damage or injury, boat S does not break rule 14.

I refer again to ISAF Case 26, which states "A right-of-way boat need not act to avoid a collision until it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear. However, if the right-of-way boat could then have avoided the collision and the collision resulted in damage, she must be penalized for breaking rule 14". Again, when "it is clear that the other boat is not keeping clear" means time TP -- that is when boat S must act.

And I also refer again to ISAF Case 27, which states "A boat is not required to anticipate that another boat will break a rule". Boat S is not required to act at time TS (when she could anticipate that P will break rule 10).

And, I refer once more to ISAF Case 87, which states "a right-of-way boat need not act to avoid contact until it is clear that the other
boat is not keeping clear". S may wait until P actually fails to keep clear - which is at time TP.

Which brings us back to the video in question. Could boat H7(S) have avoided contact by changing course at time 0:33 (when she had a "genuine and reasonable apprehension of collision" - i.e. time TS)? Yes. Did rule 14 require her to? No. She was not obligated to act until boat M87(P) actually was unable to avoid contact (when it became "clear she is not keeping clear" - i.e. time TP), which was about time 0:35-36 in the video. By then, unfortunately, H7(S) was not reasonably able to avoid contact. Therefore, H7(S) did not break rule 14.

Although not absolutely required, I recommend sailors act at time TS and avoid contact (and possible damage/injury), not to wait until time TP like boat H7 did.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/14/14 12:10 PM

P doesn't have to anticipate S's course change... S was changing course throughout, both in rounding the mark and the "deer" wiggle. P could make a compelling case that under 16.1, S should be DSQ.

P is not required to anticipate S's change of course, but she must respond to it - which she does not do.

Looking over the video yet again, I see boat H7(S) making two course changes. One is when she rounds the mark at time 0:32-0:34. The other is the "wiggle" at time 0:35-0:36.

During the first course change, boat M87(P) is still 2-3 boatlengths away. I believe that P had ample opportunity to keep clear (by slowing down, heading up, or tacking) during that time.

At time 0:35, however, P is committed to the cross and unable to keep clear by luffing. S makes a quick turn to her right but is unable to avoid P. S then turns quickly back left, taking contact on her bow. P is already not keeping clear so there is no possible way for S to give her room. If you insist on applying RRS 16.1 to the second course change, and conclude that S breaks it, then you should exonerate her under RRS 64.1(a).

Remember, the purpose of rule 16 is to protect a give-way boat from an overly aggressive right-of-way boat. It does not excuse an overly aggressive give-way boat for failing to meet her obligation to keep clear. A port-tack boat can't just sail into a line of starboard tack boats rounding a mark and say "oh, they should have held their course". The starboard-tack boats may not turn into P, but P can't use rule 16 to justify sticking her nose into a place where she isn't able to keep clear.

Regards,
Eric
Posted By: tback

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/14/14 12:28 PM

P doesn't have to anticipate S's course change... S was changing course throughout, both in rounding the mark and the "deer" wiggle. P could make a compelling case that under 16.1, S should be DSQ.

P is not required to anticipate S's change of course, but she must respond to it - which she does not do.

Looking over the video yet again, I see boat H7(S) making two course changes. One is when she rounds the mark at time 0:32-0:34. The other is the "wiggle" at time 0:35-0:36.

During the first course change, boat M87(P) is still 2-3 boatlengths away. I believe that P had ample opportunity to keep clear (by slowing down, heading up, or tacking) during that time.

At time 0:35, however, P is committed to the cross and unable to keep clear by luffing. S makes a quick turn to her right but is unable to avoid P. S then turns quickly back left, taking contact on her bow. P is already not keeping clear so there is no possible way for S to give her room. If you insist on applying RRS 16.1 to the second course change, and conclude that S breaks it, then you should exonerate her under RRS 64.1(a).

Regards,
Eric

Eric,

Thank you again for being so diligent about helping to explain application of the rules and succinctly describing obligation vs rights.

+1
Terry

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 11:58 AM

Regards,
Eric

At 34-35 seconds, I see H7 (S) make a sharp turn to starboard to avoid P and, in my opinion, was early enough to completely avoid the collision. The problem is that P made a similar and identically timed turn to port meaning both boats continue heading right at each other. Upon realizing this, S reacts to turn back down to port but P reacts in the same identical manner to starboard. After the two zag zigs, there was nothing left to do. The angle of the video makes it a little difficult to see H7's initial turn to avoid P - which was, in my opinion, clearly substantive and early enough to avoid. The problem was that P matched S's moves exactly and there was no avoidance because of the situation P created.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 12:16 PM

This might sound odd, but let's back up and pretend that the wiggle and smash never happened, but just look at it until the point where the wiggle started.

As I see the video, S never stopped turning down. Even if she had, that would have given P only 1-2 seconds to avoid. Either way, that's not enough time for P to keep clear (in those conditions on those boats, etc.).

You can disagree, but that's how I see it.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 02:08 PM

This might sound odd, but let's back up and pretend that the wiggle and smash never happened, but just look at it until the point where the wiggle started.

As I see the video, S never stopped turning down. Even if she had, that would have given P only 1-2 seconds to avoid. Either way, that's not enough time for P to keep clear (in those conditions on those boats, etc.).

Mike

S did absolutely stop turning down. You can see them turn sharply to starboard for about 1/2 second upon realizing that P appeared to be intent on crossing. If you can't see it by looking at the boat, look at her wake and use other boat wakes for comparison. You'll also see her start to heel more dramatically (and accelerate) as she turns to starboard to attempt to avoid. I see two distinct sharp turns by H7 (S) - one to starboard to avoid and, upon realizing P changed course, and one sharp turn to port. That's about as fast as you can expect those scows to turn at those angles. I think if you have a video from on board of H7 looking forward, you would have no doubt that they made a significant attempt to avoid P. I'm not sure why several of you don't see H7's actions in this video. With it maximized in HD, I can even see H7's tiller move sharply as he tries to turn both directions.

Once this sequence has happened, if I'm at the helm, I've got two things in my mind. 1) collision is now unavoidable. 2) I'm in the middle of a lot of other boats (including another port tacker trying to cross this mess). As a result, I would try to minimize my maneuvering to reduce the chance that I create more carnage around me with my actions and reduce the chances of hurting anyone...I would just take it square on the bow just like H7 did. I'm blown away by the number of you experienced guys that are holding H7's feet at (partial) fault for the impact. It makes me realize how much of a gamble any protest hearing can be.

Here's the video link again...this time queued up to the moment H7 starts to round the offset.

http://youtu.be/s2mwGyQljgc?t=31s

Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

Mike

S did absolutely stop turning down. You can see them turn sharply to starboard for about 1/2 second upon realizing that P appeared to be intent on crossing. If you can't see it by looking at the boat, look at her wake and use other boat wakes for comparison. You'll also see her start to heel more dramatically (and accelerate) as she turns to starboard to attempt to avoid. I see two distinct sharp turns by H7 (S) - one to starboard to avoid and, upon realizing P changed course, and one sharp turn to port. That's about as fast as you can expect those scows to turn at those angles. I think if you have a video from on board of H7 looking forward, you would have no doubt that they made a significant attempt to avoid P. I'm not sure why several of you don't see H7's actions in this video. With it maximized in HD, I can even see H7's tiller move sharply as he tries to turn both directions.

Once this sequence has happened, if I'm at the helm, I've got two things in my mind. 1) collision is now unavoidable. 2) I'm in the middle of a lot of other boats (including another port tacker trying to cross this mess). As a result, I would try to minimize my maneuvering to reduce the chance that I create more carnage around me with my actions and reduce the chances of hurting anyone...I would just take it square on the bow just like H7 did. I'm blown away by the number of you experienced guys that are holding H7's feet at (partial) fault for the impact. It makes me realize how much of a gamble any protest hearing can be.

Here's the video link again...this time queued up to the moment H7 starts to round the offset.

http://youtu.be/s2mwGyQljgc?t=31s

+1
It seems to me the "duty of the boat with rights to avoid a collision rule" was written to keep boats from bumping while taking up another boat or a way to avoid massive damage to prove your point, not a scapegoat and a way to pin the stupidity ,of the guilty port boat in this case, on the other guy, as some of you seem to be trying to do.
As Jake said a gamble in the protest room ,but it also makes me wonder how much of a gamble it is being on the race course with some of you, if that's the way you think.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 02:51 PM

Back up before the wiggle and calm down. Can't we have an open minded discussion about this without directly or indirectly insulting one another?

My opinion: I see S as changing course (turning down) continuously until she turns up (start of wiggle). To me, she didn't ever straighten her course before turning up to avoid. If you follow 16.1 as written, S cannot do that, as P needs to be able to keep clear. P was sailing a course to the weather mark, and took the stern (kept clear of) the prior starboard boat. S was rounding the mark, and turning the whole time.

It's easy to blame P for the whole thing, but 16.1 is a very important rule.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 03:26 PM

Back up before the wiggle and calm down. Can't we have an open minded discussion about this without directly or indirectly insulting one another?

My opinion: I see S as changing course (turning down) continuously until she turns up (start of wiggle). To me, she didn't ever straighten her course before turning up to avoid. If you follow 16.1 as written, S cannot do that, as P needs to be able to keep clear. P was sailing a course to the weather mark, and took the stern (kept clear of) the prior starboard boat. S was rounding the mark, and turning the whole time.

It's easy to blame P for the whole thing, but 16.1 is a very important rule.

Mike

I should have left the time stamp on the first image, but here is the video at 32 seconds, where S would have HAD to begin aborting her bear away in order to do what you ask of her to avoid breaking 16.1. In my opinion, there is absolutely no way S could even begin to fathom that P would continue on their course into the string of starboard boats and I wouldn't expect her to start taking avoiding action. In particular, P has plenty of room to maneuver to her left to avoid the starboard boats. With regards to rule 16.1, at T-32 seconds, S is within about 10 degrees to her starboard downwind course and even if she holds this higher angle, P has PLENTY of room to keep clear with the course S has established. S's manuever to turn downwind was also concise (not to mention completely expected- although I realize this isn't part of the rule).

This is at T=32 seconds
[Linked Image]

Now, moving forward just a little less than 2 seconds, it becomes clear that P is intent on passing through the string of boats. S starts taking an avoiding action to starboard precisely at this point. If P had held her course, S would have been able to avoid her with her action. Unfortunately, P did not hold her course and steered up instead.

A little less than 2 seconds later:
[Linked Image]

So, I guess your argument boils down to at what point you think S should have identified P as a possible collision course. I think the point where it was clear that P was not keeping clear was at T=34seconds - precisely when S did attempt to maneuver to avoid P.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 03:53 PM

I think the reason that we (and by "we", I mean several of us) reach different conclusions, is that we look at the video and see different things. Because we disagree on the facts, we will disagree on the decision - and there may be no choice but to "agree to disagree".

If you believe that at time 0:31, that P is fully committed to passing in front of S, and that from that time there is nothing that P can subsequently do do avoid contact then yes, S later turns down and breaks rules 16.1 and 14. In that case, P should be exonerated for breaking rule 10 (under rule 64.1(a)) and, because it was not reasonably possible for her to avoid contact, P does not break rule 14.

If, on the other hand, you think that P could reasonably have taken some action to avoid contact at times 0:32-0:34, but did not, then S does not break rules 14 nor 16.1. P breaks rules 10 and 14 and is not exonerated.

When I look at the video, I feel that P could have acted to avoid S at times 0:32-0:34 but did not. Therefore, I conclude that S broke no rules, and P broke rules 10 and 14.

Although you may look at ISAF Cases 60 ("when a right-of-way boat changes course in such a way that a keep-clear boat, despite having taken avoiding action promptly, cannot keep clear in a seamanlike way, the right-of-way boat breaks rule 16.1") and 92 ("when a right-of-way boat changes course, the keep-clear boat is required to act only in response to what the right-of-way boat is doing at the time, not what the right-of-way boat might do subsequently") and place the burden of keeping clear on boat S, you should also look at Case 75, which states "a starboard-tack boat that changes course does not break rule 16.1 if she gives a port-tack boat adequate space to keep clear and the port-tack boat fails to take advantage of it promptly". I believe that M87(P) failed to take advantage of the space that H7(S) gave her. Therefore, H7(S) did not break rule 16.1.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 04:26 PM

When I look at the video, I feel that P could have acted to avoid S at times 0:32-0:34 but did not. Therefore, I conclude that S broke no rules, and P broke rules 10 and 14.

Although you may look at ISAF Cases 60 ("when a right-of-way boat changes course in such a way that a keep-clear boat, despite having taken avoiding action promptly, cannot keep clear in a seamanlike way, the right-of-way boat breaks rule 16.1") and 92 ("when a right-of-way boat changes course, the keep-clear boat is required to act only in response to what the right-of-way boat is doing at the time, not what the right-of-way boat might do subsequently") and place the burden of keeping clear on boat S, you should also look at Case 75, which states "a starboard-tack boat that changes course does not break rule 16.1 if she gives a port-tack boat adequate space to keep clear and the port-tack boat fails to take advantage of it promptly". I believe that M87(P) failed to take advantage of the space that H7(S) gave her. Therefore, H7(S) did not break rule 16.1.

Well I think we can conclude that P is a bonehead, butt, nimbwit to think she could ever shoot that gap. . .
wink

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 05:58 PM

I didn't think I was, but if anyone feels like I was being insulting, I apologize. It was not my intent.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 06:06 PM

I didn't think I was, but if anyone feels like I was being insulting, I apologize. It was not my intent.

I didn't see any insult and if there was... yikes, we have become quite delicate! Heck even Todd was pleasant, well pleasant for Todd anyway :-)

Oh wait now I see it... F@!#k you Jake!

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 06:21 PM

Thanks. Case 75 helps a lot. I think we all agree that P had plenty of water to turn upwind sooner. I am just trying to determine when she HAD to.

FWIW, I've been trying not to let my gut feelings dictate, which are screaming to chuck P at all costs...

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 08:41 PM

Thanks. Case 75 helps a lot. I think we all agree that P had plenty of water to turn upwind sooner. I am just trying to determine when she HAD to.

FWIW, I've been trying not to let my gut feelings dictate, which are screaming to chuck P at all costs...

Mike

I know...I've been resisting the urge to post something about how that entire port approach at the pin was not smart. I couldn't find the exact rule number to cite for that. grin

And, hey, Ding...yeah. I'm saving up my insults for F18 NAs!

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 08:54 PM

I'm saving up my insults for F18 NAs!

wow... that's going to sound like an ADHD with turettes

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 09:44 PM

I think we all agree that P had plenty of water to turn upwind sooner. I am just trying to determine when she HAD to.

Promptly. See the definition of room. When in doubt about exactly what constitutes "promptly", substitute the phrase "without delay".

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/15/14 10:17 PM

Let's talk about something else... Barging! Saw some interesting stuff behind the signal boat at Roton Point this weekend. At one point, I actually heard a windward boat tell a leeward boat (who should have known better), "You have to give me room!" as he was reaching in from several lengths away...

I know that L has to close the door before W gets to the signal boat (you can't luff someone into the signal boat and survive the hearing), but this was pretty blatant.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/16/14 12:33 PM

Or, you could check my video to make sure I described the Port/ Port/ Windward mark situation correctly? That would continue to be helpful...:)

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/16/14 01:26 PM

Let's talk about something else... Barging!
Mike

yes, interesting topic. Let me get my head on straight here with a few definitions:

- Am I correct in reading the RRS that "a boat has no proper course before her starting signal"?

- "starting signal" being later defined as the start (removal of class flag)? the signal flags (class, prep, etc) all refer to "Minutes before starting signal"

- Barging, in this discussion, would mean someone sailing into a position where there is not enough room for them? And they're hoping that room will open up for them either by happenstance or freaking out the other boats?

If those parameters are agreed, I can't see where this "barging" behavior wouldn't involve huge potential for contact/fouling by the barging party.

Experts, please weigh in...

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/16/14 02:14 PM

The first two points are correct. Barging most often happens when a boat (W) sees what looks like a nice space to leeward of the signal boat, and to windward of the nearest racing boat (L). That space usually goes away quickly as the clock winds down. A good crew on L will not let W in there, but the only legal way to keep W out is to luff with enough time such that W can't get overlapped with the stern of the signal boat. If that happens, L has allowed W space to which W was not entitled, but at that point has no recourse (especially not luffing W into the signal boat).

At least, that's how I understand it. There are rules and cases if anyone wants to do a little digging...

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/16/14 02:23 PM

Let's talk about something else... Barging!

I think barging is a significant enough topic to deserve its own thread, so I created Racing Rules: "Barging". Let's discuss it there rather than further hijacking this thread.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/16/14 06:28 PM

Thanks all for contributing to this learning. I've got another one for ya, probably much simpler, but I'll save that for another time. I've been able to cut down the video to about when windward enters the zone. Admittedly you cant see leeward or the contact directly. You can see/ feel and possible here it. What I'm interested in now is, did I described the situation correctly? When I desribed the situation, I tried to take a facts found approach and was able to get both boats to agree on the facts... mostly. Leeward thought they were overlapped. Incidentally, most people think they are overlapped I'm finding.

Video here: http://youtu.be/5btrp8opIuQ

Is this video related to the incident described on page 1 of this thread? If so, wish we had this sooner. The green boat was clearly fouled if contact was made. From what I can tell, green didn't alter course and rounded very close to the mark.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" - 09/16/14 06:50 PM

Yes page one, related to the situation I described. Green (Windward/clear ahead at the zone/ inside at the mark) did turn up, not to avoid leeward, but to round the mark as quickly as possible...

So I take it my description of the situation matches the video? I think you had a thread about how video footage is often different than how boats involved present their case.

The rest of your discussion was helpful as well. It caused me to recall that in most cases another boat force my to tack.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums