Catsailor.com

Catacup Day 2

Posted By: David Ingram

Catacup Day 2 - 11/22/14 01:19 AM

Today the breeze softened a bit and the OA jumped on it sending us around the island first thing this morning. The sea state offshore was still pretty sporty and reaching through it made it a hyper focus exercise. Laura let me drive that one and I'm not sure who got the better deal.

After lunch they sent us on a short distance race around a rock on the northeast end of the island. Our trip was uneventful but it seems every race there at least two boats with significant damage. St Barthelemy is a tough place to sail when the breeze is on and it's supposed to be on for the rest of the week.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/22/14 01:36 AM

you're not selling it, man!
Posted By: Andy Humphries

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/22/14 02:43 AM

Day 2 results won't open on my iPad. Anyone else having this issue?
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/22/14 09:32 PM

Awesome venue, this year has been breeze on! Last year it was 1 day of big breeze, this year has been 15-20+ everyday.

I spoke with an italian team that has down it 6 times, and it's never been this breezy before.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/24/14 03:42 PM

what kind of costs did you incur sailing this killer location?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/24/14 05:20 PM

Where was it? Barbados?
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/24/14 08:54 PM

Mike, I was sure proud of y'all...introducing Nigel to the Europos probably roused that sea breeze. I wager that 'the Best of Times' was enjoyed by all in St. Bartholomew... give or take a few broken bones of carbon, aluminium, and flesh:-)

Now if Weta sailors knew what Caribe sailing is all about; that would be a temptation/inspiration I would enjoy.

With the AC scheduled for Bermuda, perhaps more multihulls, windsurfers, and kitefoilers will surface.

I may get to see the 'island' life - style yet. It only takes money:-)

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/25/14 12:38 PM

For Laura almost nothing. We have some hull work to do when a boat made contact with ours while we were sitting on the beach. Booms, spin poles and masts where taking a beating. A boat was holed and another had a rudder casting destroyed. Those are the ones I know about.

Laura talked to an Italian team that had been coming for the last 6 years and they said it's never been as windy as it was for all four days. For me sailing at and beyond my limit is a stressful affair, I'm almost looking forward to the chop on the first day of the Steeplechase :-)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/25/14 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
For Laura almost nothing. We have some hull work to do when a boat made contact with ours while we were sitting on the beach. Booms, spin poles and masts where taking a beating. A boat was holed and another had a rudder casting destroyed. Those are the ones I know about.

Laura talked to an Italian team that had been coming for the last 6 years and they said it's never been as windy as it was for all four days. For me sailing at and beyond my limit is a stressful affair, I'm almost looking forward to the chop on the first day of the Steeplechase :-)

Those are great events in the rear view mirror. I remember heading to a local lake regatta a couple of weeks after finishing my first Tybee 500. Conditions for the 500 that year were pretty big. Big waves, big wind...I was definitely waaay outside my comfort zone. I looked over that lake upon arriving Friday night and I remember thinking how there wasn't much this lake could throw at me that I couldn't handle anymore.

Re: Catacup Day 2 - 11/25/14 02:06 PM

Right on Jake!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums