Catsailor.com

Need a source for trailer double roller

Posted By: Anonymous

Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/17/15 10:42 PM

It was advised that i swap out to a double roller setup to spread out the load on my bows while on a trailer

anyone know any resources to order them?

thanks

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jake

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 12:08 AM

trailex would have them. I prefer cradles though.

https://www.trailex.com/TX-1100HC-21SC.cfm
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 12:53 AM

Jill might have them in stock.
Posted By: Mac McCallum

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 12:35 PM

I got a set of these for my Viper's trailer. I put the old cradles on top of them once the boat is loaded. They make loading the boat easier than with the old cradles. They were more expensive than I wanted to pay, but they are nice and well built. I had them add the clear rollers. If someone finds a cheaper alternative I'd love to get a set for another boat.

Sharp looking boat by the way! What is it?

http://www.icarussportsusa.com/parts-and-accessories/double-rollers/
Posted By: catman

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 01:51 PM

You going to have a bit of a problem finding anything off the shelf to work with that trailer. You should look at Darrin's and ask Brian to duplicate w/aluminum. I can get you the axles and rollers.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 03:02 PM

Why? What's so different about that trailer?

Mike

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 03:41 PM

hand built alum trailer
many of the stock rollers assemblies would not "fit" and would require some mods to the trailer (new holes drilled, etc)

It does look to me the rollers from above would work (as long as their length will fit my current roller mounts)

Originally Posted by brucat
Why? What's so different about that trailer?

Mike

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mac McCallum

Sharp looking boat by the way! What is it?

thanks!
mystere 6.0

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 05:40 PM

Drilling holes isn't a big deal.

Mike

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 05:55 PM

Mike

Unless you are in a rather under-develped area of eastern Germany using a hand driven egg beater drill and dull bits to try and drill 1/2" holes through 3/16" stainless steel trying to re-invent a machine so it will run an application that was completely wrong to begin with. Added to which, you've just been in non-english speaking areas of various countries for 6 weeks that include everything from the Malaysia, the Middle East, and rural Italy and spent 75 hours on planes and airports in that period while carting around 80 lbs of tools and some stupid sample prototype conveyor chain that your boss thought might be important but nobody cared about (that chain may or may not have ended up abandoned near a trash can at the Frankfurt airport after Lufthansa wanted $250 to add it as luggage). Drilling those holes might just be your last straw and might come close to costing you your job if your boss calls the plant to interrupt everyone, including you, just to "see how it's going" right in the middle of said hole drilling. So, yeah, while this trailer mod might not be a big deal, not all hole drilling is quite so simple!

grin

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/18/15 06:28 PM

nope, not with power tools
but I was asked what's different about this trailer, and why it might not be like a typical upgrade/install

Mike

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/19/15 04:31 AM

Jake's entertaining confession aside...

I asked what about the trailer would make the rollers not work. To me, unless there was a critical dimension that was way off (which seems unlikely, since you already have a roller there), a standard unit should work. May not be plug and play, but drilling a hole is way different than having to re-engineer/weld something.

Mike
Posted By: bacho

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/19/15 11:36 AM

Go to west marine and purchase a pair of rollers that match the ones you have currently, with axles. Then go to Home D and buy a piece of aluminum flate stock, make some measurements, cut it and drill for both rollers, let the hinge point be the existing bracket. Use a couple 1/2" bolts on each side to put it all together and profit?

I like the rollers that were added to Macs trailer, makes it way easier.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/19/15 02:51 PM

i am pretty sure some welding (or securing some other way) would be needed to prevent the rollers from twisting and flopping around

notice the weld in the center of the unit
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bacho
Go to west marine and purchase a pair of rollers that match the ones you have currently, with axles. Then go to Home D and buy a piece of aluminum flate stock, make some measurements, cut it and drill for both rollers, let the hinge point be the existing bracket. Use a couple 1/2" bolts on each side to put it all together and profit?

Posted By: catman

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/19/15 03:13 PM

The reason. If you look at the trailer (save the pic and enlarge) the roller tabs are all welded. Seems a waste to cut those off for some expensive bolt on parts adding steel to aluminum when all you have to do is basically what Bacho said.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/19/15 05:27 PM

costs to buld:
from alro
6' steel flat (1/2" x 2.5" x 6') - 28.50 +tax
6' alum flat (1/2" x 2.5" x 6') - 40 +tax

rollers - $30ea (w.marine / less expensive also aval for less localy) - $120
(old rollers show cracks)

bolts, washers, fasteners (at least) $5ea +tax - 20 (roller shafts and ends seem much more expensive with a quick google search)

$181.90 (inc tax) before welding labor

The one's online look galvanized or painted, or powdercoatd as well

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/19/15 07:27 PM

how much for cradles?
Posted By: bacho

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/20/15 09:59 AM

Cradles are $100 each new these days!

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/20/15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
how much for cradles?

Murray's has a bunch of different cradles for about $55 each

http://www.murrays.com/C-TP.html
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/20/15 05:42 PM

I've still got a pair of unused cradles that fit the N20 hulls. No swivel on the bottom, but still in the box.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/20/15 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
how much for cradles?

Those lesser expensive cradles won't fit boats with wider hull shapes...like F18, N20, etc. You would have to go with the $150 versions for those boats.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/20/15 05:51 PM

PM sent
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I've still got a pair of unused cradles that fit the N20 hulls. No swivel on the bottom, but still in the box.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/20/15 05:53 PM

do you mean these? - http://www.murrays.com/13-1412.html

or other ?
Originally Posted by MN3
how much for cradles?

Those lesser expensive cradles won't fit boats with wider hull shapes...like F18, N20, etc. You would have to go with the $150 versions for those boats.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/20/15 07:07 PM

Yes. However, I think your Mystere will work with these lesser expensive ones, though. I had these under my 6.0 but when I switched to a Nacra 20 they would not fit and I had to replace them.

http://www.murrays.com/13-7010.html
Posted By: kmboudreaux

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/23/15 03:10 PM

Posted By: kmboudreaux

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/24/15 01:38 AM

Posted By: Redtwin

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/24/15 02:10 AM

http://www.catsailor.com/Ad_Welcome.html
Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/25/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
i am pretty sure some welding (or securing some other way) would be needed to prevent the rollers from twisting and flopping around

notice the weld in the center of the unit
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bacho

These work well, they came on the back of my F18 trailer I got used.
They do leave black marks on the hulls, so I try and put a piece of carpet (no extra cradles currently) over them when trailering.

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/25/15 05:51 PM

For my 6.0, (thinner hull profile), I made my own by
finding 12"ID PVC pipe scraps at construction sites,
cut them using jig saw,
and contact cement glued carpet to them.
I would use the flatter 'stove' bolts to secure to my trailer or my cat wheels. (under the carpet, bolt, then carpet)
Worked like a charm- bascially free, or low cost (carpet scraps and gule for free also- friends)

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/25/15 05:57 PM

The polymer rollers aren't that much more expensive are they?

Todd, I'd put a cradle under the hull if I were you. Bouncing down the road is putting a fair amount of stress on a pretty small contact patch.

My trailer, I've got a single roller mounted at the back, and a cradle forward of it. The hull only touches the roller when it is being slid on the trailer. You can kinda see it here.

[img]http://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...d048fb3fe4b9639a22678dbc&oe=558481B0[/img]

Image tags not working?

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/25/15 06:36 PM

The guy who makes the double rollers (brett the owner of the nacra dealership icarussportsusa.com) never got me a price on the polymer rollers but he has been very cool to work with (even though i haven't purchased anything yet)

Your trailer set up looks great. 2 sets of cradles and rollers attached to the back.. how do you get the bows on without them hitting the deck?

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
The polymer rollers aren't that much more expensive are they?

Todd, I'd put a cradle under the hull if I were you. Bouncing down the road is putting a fair amount of stress on a pretty small contact patch.

My trailer, I've got a single roller mounted at the back, and a cradle forward of it. The hull only touches the roller when it is being slid on the trailer. You can kinda see it here.

[img]http://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...d048fb3fe4b9639a22678dbc&oe=558481B0[/img]

Image tags not working?
Posted By: Mac McCallum

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/25/15 07:45 PM

I had him, Brett, add the clear/amber rollers to mine, they weren't much more. I don't remember how much more, but think it was less than $20. They are expensive but really nice, I'm very happy with them.
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/25/15 08:58 PM

[Linked Image]
http://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/Yates-Rubber/YR1200Y.html

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/25/15 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
how do you get the bows on without them hitting the deck?

They hang past the back of the trailer just a bit. Cattrax a bit aft of the balance point, I push it around by the rear beam and just set the tips of the bow on the rollers. Then pick up the back of the boat by the rear beam and push it on.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/26/15 01:43 PM

gotcha - sounds a bit lighter than my tank
f16 right?

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 02/26/15 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
f16 right?

correct

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/03/15 02:48 PM

Great setup, Karl. What kind of trailer is that?

Mike

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/03/15 07:28 PM

Great setup, Karl. What kind of trailer is that?

Mike

It's a Triton four place snowmobile trailer. I picked it up from a local motorcycle/atv/snowmobile dealership for $1500 + tax/title. It was sold to me as new because the dealership that had it, used it for their own stuff, but it had never been registered. I think the double stack rack, and the rear mast stand cost me about $2500 to have custom built. I've got another few hundred in material for the sail box, and a zillion hours to build it.

I don't think I'd do it any other way, other than a dedicated enclosed trailer, which I don't have the funds for. It tracks stupid straight, rides nicely, and the boat is protected from anything the truck will kick up. Protecting the boat is the most important thing to me. It'll haul three complete boats pretty easily too.

http://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...a6e8d0d2558ca9448dca426e&oe=557E91CB

http://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...4072570_8d16e2d3454fdfee01054dd14a83151d

I don't know why image tags aren't working from Facebook anymore.
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/03/15 09:21 PM

With 4 fixed wheels underneath (and also not very close of each other), I can understand that it tracks firmly like a rock.

But how in heavens name can it turn??????????

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/03/15 11:37 PM

Karl, you're not saying that you paid $2500 on top of the $1500 for the mods, are you?

Ronald, Karl doesn't have time to slow down enough to make turns...

Mike

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/03/15 11:43 PM

They just scrub. I bet there was more than 50k miles on the original tires, so if there is increased wear because of it, is not apparent. I swapped them out last year and the trailer had been to Florida at least seven times, plus all the trips everywhere else it's been. It's been an awesome trailer. I've never touched the bearings or seals. There is a grease zerk at the end of the spindle, I just pop the dust cap, and pump grease in until new stuff comes out.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/04/15 03:33 PM

Karl, you're not saying that you paid $2500 on top of the $1500 for the mods, are you?

Ronald, Karl doesn't have time to slow down enough to make turns...

Mike

I think I paid about $2500 for the rack. Plus another $3-400 in material for the box. There's probably at least another $100 in paint on the trailer deck. Then the original purchase price of $1500+tax, which was about $1700 total. So a grand total of about $4500. Give or take.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/04/15 05:48 PM

Well, that confirms it. I am horribly out of touch with the current value of aluminum. We have an aluminium toboggan, must be worth a fortune!

Mike

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/04/15 06:08 PM

It was more than I had planned cost wise for the rack. But hauling three boats instead of one 3k miles round trip many many times, it's probably paid for itself. I didn't complain, the fab work was top notch and it is way over built. I do wish I would've made it a few inches shorter. There's a good six inches of clearance from the top of an F18 hull to the bottom of the rack. That few inches would mean being able to get it in through a 10' overhead door.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/04/15 06:40 PM

It was more than I had planned cost wise for the rack. But hauling three boats instead of one 3k miles round trip many many times, it's probably paid for itself. I didn't complain, the fab work was top notch and it is way over built. I do wish I would've made it a few inches shorter. There's a good six inches of clearance from the top of an F18 hull to the bottom of the rack. That few inches would mean being able to get it in through a 10' overhead door.

[Linked Image]

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/04/15 08:52 PM

Not a great plan.... The '"feet" on are a plate about 8" long, 5" wide, and have a fancy gusset on them. Otherwise, yeah. Whack it down.

BTW- A cordless portaband? That's got dead battery frustration written all over it.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 03/04/15 11:31 PM

Not a great plan.... The '"feet" on are a plate about 8" long, 5" wide, and have a fancy gusset on them. Otherwise, yeah. Whack it down.

BTW- A cordless portaband? That's got dead battery frustration written all over it.

I didn't notice it was cordless...just grabbed a pic. And, yeah, cordless tools have come a long way - but I don't think they're ready for the portaband just yet.

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 06/15/16 02:33 PM

Trailex 12" are $350 and utilize a t-bolt that makes them pretty useless on any other type trailer

trailex would have them. I prefer cradles though.

https://www.trailex.com/TX-1100HC-21SC.cfm

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 06/15/16 04:35 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Need a source for trailer double roller - 06/15/16 04:51 PM

Thanks Capt. Obvious smile

[Linked Image]

I'm looking again at double rollers and figured i would update this thread with the info i just got incase anyone else googled "double rollers"
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums