Catsailor.com

RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19

Posted By: catman

RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 03/02/15 11:23 PM

Just passing the word. From the Red Gear Facebook page.

LONG DISTANCE DETAILS:

THE RED GEAR RACING HULLAPALUSA
DATES: April 18 & 19th

LIMITED TO 20, 2 PERSON SPINNAKER BOATS....START NOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED....you can get on the list by contacting funinthesunweb@gmail.com or calling Jill at 727-734-0799.

PLEASE START PASSING THIS AROUND....the clock starts now. While we are getting the NOR and forms up on line, we will start taking names of those interested in signing up since we will have a very limited entry. All entries must be approved as experienced sailors. Your email will mark your entry, you will be sent forms and completed when payment is received.

MAKE SURE TO TELL PEOPLE INTERESTED LIKE "RED GEAR RACING" FACEBOOK and we will keep everyone informed.

QUESTIONS: Contact Jill Nickerson at 727-734-0799

DATE: April 18 & 19, 2015 with
April 17th FREE Red Gear Tuning clinic

REGISTRATION: $175.00 BEFORE APRIL 1st. $250.00 until April 10th....no on site registration. Registration includes meals for skipper and crew.

START LOCATION: Clearwater Community Sailing Center on Sand Key in Clearwater, FL. We have multiple hotels in the area at a variety of rates.

DESTINATION OF STOP OVER on the 18th: Silver Surf Beach Resort on Anna Maria Island in Bradenton, FL. We have a block of rooms under Red Gear Racing held only until the end of March. The rate is $157.00.

DESTINATION OF FINISH on the 19th: Clearwater Community Sailing Center on Sand Key in Clearwater, FL

TRANSPORTATION: We will have a trailer to transport wheels, equipment, gear and luggage from Clearwater to Anna Maria and back.

CLASSES:1. F18/F16 on Portsmouth
2. All other Spinnaker boats on Portsmouth

ELIGIBLE: 2 person spinnaker boats up to 22.5 feet.

CHASE BOAT: This race will not have a chase boat on the water but all boats will be tracked so there will be required equipment on the NOR. We will have a chase boat on the trailer for emergencies.

PRIZES: Cash prizes for 1st $250.00, 2nd $150.00 and 3rd $75.00 in EACH class, EACH day. See NOR for details. Prize money may be increased if we take on additional sponsors.

TROPHIES: 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each class plus an overall 1st for the event.

SOCIAL: Beach BBQ and Beverage(not hamburgers and hot dogs!) on the 18th and 19th, hamburgers and hot dogs cook out for early arrivals and tuning camp participants on the 17th. Skipper and crew socials included. Additional social tickets available for 30 adults, 15 for kids under 14...includes all events.

NOR: will be posted soon TBA...location will be announced on Red Gear Racing Facebook page.

STORAGE: we can arrange storage if you need storage, before or after the event.

BEACH ACCESS: We can arrange early arrival or late departure.
HOUSING: limited housing available prior to the event at the Red Gear Racing headquarters.

TRAINING CAMP: We can do an training camp during the week if there is a demand. Please contact Jill at 727-734-0799 if you are interested.

SPONSORS: We already have Red Gear Racing, Clearwater Sailing Center and Zhik that have joined us to sponsor this event. Please contact Jill at 727-734-0799 if you are interested in joining us as a sponsor. Proceeds from this event will be donated to the multihull youth sailing fund at the Clearwater Sailing Center.
Posted By: catman

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/02/15 11:26 PM

Again from Red Gear Racing,

2015 RED GEAR RACING HULLAPALOUSA Long Distance Race....April 18 &19...we are at a decision point and will announce shortly if the race is going to happen or if we will modify it due to a lack luster of entrants. Currently we only have 7 boats interested. We had a very strong interest in the beginning and then nothing after that. We want to make this an annual long distance race so next year we will be much earlier in the planning cycle and hope that you will put this on your calendar.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/21/15 01:25 PM

I was on the beach sunday and saw a bit of carnage

Any updates from this event?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/21/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MN3
I was on the beach sunday and saw a bit of carnage

Any updates from this event?

Here are cliff notes for those with attention issues:

Carnage is a strong word for the situation we had Sunday. Tucker (F16) pulled the bolt rope of the main out of the mast during a capsize. The boat and sail are undamaged in fact there was no damage to any of the boats. Heck the only damage occurred when the stay master on Dick's boat backed out and dropped the stick on the beach. The stick is fine it just has a little impact ding (ha!) at the top of the mast, all is well.

Full story below:

It was fun weekend! Only a youth team (Tucker and Isabell) and Dick MacDonald and myself showed up. Saturday Robbie coached us for a couple of hours and gave us a list of things to work on.

Sunday... we had some breeze which we were thankful for because we need in the practice. The breeze wasn't too bad it was consistently between 18 and 22 knots with the biggest puff being recorded at 28 knots. The gulf is what you expect, short steep pain in the butt chop, a bit like Hyannis. The days course was from Peir 60 (Clearwater Beach) and around Anclote Key and back. The first leg was due north and the breeze was due south so a downwind start. The teams were Tucker/Isabell, Robbie/Don
and Dick/Dave. Everyone set their kites Robbie sorted things out quickly and had a jump on the fleet followed by Dick and I then Tucker and Isabell. Of course Dick and I were the first to eat it and I took a rocket ride to the front of the boat... that was fun! Then Robbie and Don went down putting Tucker and Isabell in the lead but their luck ran out in front of Dunedin pass and they went down. In the process one or both fell onto the main only pulling the bolt rope out of the mast. While trying to right the boat Isabell got seperated, Dick and I sailed by and Tucker sent us to retrieve her. We found her quickly but pooched the pickup and during reset we capsized! Fortunatly there was a sweet looking power boat that was kinda standing by monitoring the situation and we were able to get there attention and they picked up Isabell and brought here back to Tucker. Tucker called it for the day and they went to Dunedin beach where they met Jill with the powerboat. We continued on to Anclote because we were chasing Robbie. As we were heading north we saw him on his way back and I remember thinking holy crap he's killing us! But come to find out later Jill called him to the beach to help get Tucker and Isabell sorted for the tow.

While Robbie, Tucker, Don, Isabell were doing their thing Dick and I kept sailing for Anclote. As we approached the north end of Anclote (our turn mark) we had to jibe and we blew the jibe putting us in the drink for a third time and three times is my limit, nobody dumps me three times in one day! :-) I pulled the plug and said no more jibing lets go back upwind :-) On our way back to Clearwater here comes Robbie! How cool is that, the guy came back to keep us company, actually he came looking for us to make sure were were ok but I like my version better and it's my freaking story. The upwind was uneventfull and drama free.

Good day, decent stories told on the beach. Really looking forward to Miami – Key Largo this weekend!

As a side note: everyone had phones and everyone was being tracked.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/21/15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Carnage is a strong word for the situation we had Sunday.

agreed from your data (thanks for the info) I am very glad to hear there was no damage or injury

looked worse from the beach (was told fwc was called, saw boat in the surf and later being towed)

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/21/15 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MN3

looked worse from the beach (was told fwc was called, saw boat in the surf and later being towed)

If often does look worse than it is. Tucker called Jill from the water and she had already been contacted by the time Dick and I reached him. The authories probably were contacted Dunedin is a busy beach and everyone has a cell phone. There was no mention of the authorities getting involved at the post race festivities and if they had been involved I'm sure we would have got an earful from momma Jill.

Isabell is a laser sailor and got the full treatment and is ready to do it again so I'm going to call yesterday a win.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/21/15 06:09 PM

"...so I'm going to call yesterday a win."
Sounds like it. NICE!
Posted By: Grandude

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/22/15 05:37 PM

Big thanks to Red Gear (Robbie and Jill) for hosting this event. Being the ONLY boat that showed up, (WTF people!), I got 1 on 1 coaching from Robbie and enjoyed Jill's hospitality for dinner 2 nights in a row. For my investment in the weekend I got back 10 fold in sailing, prize goodies, good food and great company. Special thanks to the sponsors... ZHIK, West Marine, Red Gear, Clearwater Sailing Center, etc... The format for next is being left open to what us sailors want. A tune up for the Florida 300 was top of the list.

Sailing with Ding was great fun and raised the bar for my skill level. For the record, it's (2 to 1) I dumped him twice, but nobody can sail fast with crew swinging out in front of the boat. For an old guy, he is so graceful in flight.

Forecast looks great for the Miami to Key Largo race Saturday. We're turning at the finish for the return sleigh ride. Tuning up for that Florida 300, life is good.
Posted By: Jake

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/22/15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grandude
Big thanks to Red Gear (Robbie and Jill) for hosting this event. Being the ONLY boat that showed up, (WTF people!), I got 1 on 1 coaching from Robbie and enjoyed Jill's hospitality for dinner 2 nights in a row. For my investment in the weekend I got back 10 fold in sailing, prize goodies, good food and great company. Special thanks to the sponsors... ZHIK, West Marine, Red Gear, Clearwater Sailing Center, etc... The format for next is being left open to what us sailors want. A tune up for the Florida 300 was top of the list.

Sailing with Ding was great fun and raised the bar for my skill level. For the record, it's (2 to 1) I dumped him twice, but nobody can sail fast with crew swinging out in front of the boat. For an old guy, he is so graceful in flight.

Forecast looks great for the Miami to Key Largo race Saturday. We're turning at the finish for the return sleigh ride. Tuning up for that Florida 300, life is good.

Time that pitch pole right and you can use him like an old-school wrecking ball.

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/23/15 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

Time that pitch pole right and you can use him like an old-school wrecking ball.

You two are an absolute laugh riot!
Posted By: Grandude

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/23/15 01:56 PM

You mean like Miley Cyrus?
Posted By: Jake

Re: RED GEAR HULLAPALUSA April 18- 19 - 04/23/15 05:16 PM

You mean like Miley Cyrus?

Now there's a mental image, given an opportunity, that I would have avoided.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums