Catsailor.com

Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC

Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/04/15 08:03 PM

This will be cool.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/04/15 08:54 PM

f*&#ing tease.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/04/15 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
f*&#ing tease.

No kidding...that was a pretty big let down!

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/04/15 11:51 PM

Well, wait until next week.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 12:11 AM

That is not cool man!

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 01:42 AM

It could have at least started out and let us know it was a preview! I felt like I've been tricked and I wanted my time back at the end of it.

{sad face}
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 02:32 AM

Jake.... face it... we are getting old...

This is the new way to communicate.... build the hype.... tease the story. Hey... Could have been worse... a couple of vines... At the very least... they could have had some really hot babes walk thru.... if what you are selling is eye candy.... go with the universal and timeless bikini shots.

I would have given them a bit of a pass for wasting my time...

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Jake.... face it... we are getting old...

This is the new way to communicate.... build the hype.... tease the story. Hey... Could have been worse... a couple of vines... At the very least... they could have had some really hot babes walk thru.... if what you are selling is eye candy.... go with the universal and timeless bikini shots.

I would have given them a bit of a pass for wasting my time...

lol

(see, I'm catching on)

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 01:16 PM

It's amazing that in SA everyone is putting the Nacra last. Don't understand.
Posted By: catman

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 01:24 PM

I guess we don't know if it's around a course or outright speed in any direction.

My guess, Kite, Moth, Nacra, M32

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ThunderMuffin
It's amazing that in SA everyone is putting the Nacra last. Don't understand.

With catman, I think the result is going to heavily depend on the angle of sail.
Posted By: Bille

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 01:56 PM

At 1:29 ; it appears the Kite-board with the foil
is out-front . The kite is about $2.5K and the foil
with board is close to the same ; so for $5 grand, you
can beat a Much more expensive machine !!
Part of that is because the kite is probably on 27 to
30 meter lines ; so it can catch cleaner air, since
the center of effort, is coming from 10 to 15-M above the water.
Also , the kite is helping a Lot to lift the weight
of the rider out of the water, so the foil can fly at a
lower AOA than the sailboats.

I got a sponsor, to learn to kite-board with a foil this
summer ; my Hobie 21 will be use a LOT this summer for
camping trips with all my kiteing equipment at Lake Mohave.
Good or Bad, I'll let Ya know , how my foiling experience goes ...

Bille
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 02:12 PM

does the kite or the moth carry a cooler of beer or bikini babes/russian brides?
Posted By: catman

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 03:04 PM

Personally the whole thing is silly. I would take the M-32. Take the cooler and several bikini clad russian wife want a be's.

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/05/15 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ThunderMuffin
Well, wait until next week.

It's up to you then Taddermuffin to post that rickytick once it's out.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 12:32 AM

You know the M32's foil too, right?

No way the Nacra will be faster than that, just like the AC45's weren't faster than the AC72's.

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Timbo
You know the M32's foil too, right?

No way the Nacra will be faster than that, just like the AC45's weren't faster than the AC72's.

AC45s didn't foil. They're already reporting that they have them going as fast as the 72s now that they've modified them for foiling...but I digress.

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 12:44 AM

So you think the N20 will be faster than the M32?
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 12:50 AM

M32 does not foil. It has curved boards, but it is not fully foiling.

Fastest around the course, likely by a long way, will be the foiling kiteboard. Just so much more efficient than any of the others.

Second IMHO is an interesting question between the Moth and the Nacra. Moth is certainly more refined and likely faster upwind, but lacks the extra downwind sail area of the Nacra.

The Marstrom is quick, but I really don't see it matching the others unless it is light enough where the moth and Nacra aren't foiling. In that case, the moth would be last by a lot.

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 12:52 AM

Details form Pat Rynne:

Here are some more details about the races. We only had enough time to run 2 Windward Leewards. Here is the scoop

- Weather mark was about 1.5 miles upwind
- Breeze was about 15 knots, everybody was powered
- Kiter was using a 12 square meter kite
- Bay chop was moderate (1-2 feet)
- Plastic bags and sargasso weed WERE present throughout the course

Athletes
Kite - Zack Marks (head sailing coach at Eckerd College)
Moth - Jonny Goldsberry
Nacra - John Casey and Colin Page
M32 - Anthony Kotoun, Tommy Loughborough, Tripp Burd, Cy Thompson, Jeremy Wilmot
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 02:10 PM

throw in a foiling MOD 70. Who's yo' momma now, bi*ch?

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 03:57 PM

Who made the video, why, and if it's already done, why do we have to wait until March 11 to see it?

Here's some Kites Vs. big Trimaran while you wait for March 11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46k0cIhRTKs

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 04:46 PM

Video was made by Pat Rynne and the folks at Waterlust. Pat is a PhD student at University of Miami, sailed for Brown in college, did and Olympic campaign in the 49er. Very good sailor.

Check out http://www.waterlust.org/ to see more of their stuff.

As for why do we have to wait? Probably because it causes conversations like this one!
Posted By: pepin

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 05:45 PM

The previous instalment in the series was Kite vs Moth vs 49er.

For a windward leeward course my predictions are:
  • The kite is going to be ahead. By a lot. Plus the kite can go around another boat easily as the kite flies high and over the other boats disturbed air…
  • Second should be the moth. With a good driver the moth never goes down to floating mode, and always foils all around the course. Unless the pilot looses it, something always possible on those instable beasts.
  • Third will be the Nacra20, as long as it can foil upwind. If it can't the M32 is going to eat it for lunch (32', 500kgs!)

This said, whoever takes the start fully powered on the gun is going to have a massive advantage.

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/06/15 08:30 PM

Wow, that was some great racing (Moth v kite v 49'r)!

I didn't know kites could go upwind better than a Moth and a 49'r! Yeah, I think you've got the right finish order.

And what about foiling kites? Can they go upwind as well as the non-foiling kites?
Posted By: pepin

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/07/15 12:44 AM

Foiling kites are, so far, slower than non foiling ones. Not to mention far more tricky to control.

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/07/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by pepin
Foiling kites are, so far, slower than non foiling ones. Not to mention far more tricky to control.

Your "WRONG" Dude !!

The world speed record for a kite, was done in a channel
with 40+ mph wind and only went in one direction ...
however
the closed-course pylon racing where the contestants have
to go around a circle of some type in both directions, the
hydrofoils are now Eating-UP the race-boards, that use to dominate !!!

Kiting hydrofoils are now doing over 40-mph and will soon be
overtaking the AC-72's . (Smile) because you can do that
with $5-K worth of equipment !

Bille

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 05:48 PM

new video is up

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 07:10 PM

Told Ya , that the Kite with a Hydrofoil, would WIN !!

Kite average for (2) races = 6:04
M32 ------------------------ 7:48
Others --------(too Slow to mention)

Bille

Attached picture Race results from Kite vs others.bmp.jpg

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 07:57 PM

Impressive result by the 32, I'm surprised
Posted By: NacramanUK

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 08:31 PM

Would be interesting to repeat this over a range of wind speeds......

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 08:49 PM

And use the full foiling GC32, and the Flying Phantom F18, instead of the Marstrom and N20...

I'm still thinking none of those will beat the foiling kite.

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 08:49 PM

Yeah, let's see how speedy that board is in 4kts of breeze!

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 08:50 PM

There you go!

I pick an A cat for the 4kt race!

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 09:01 PM

I pick a jet ski in 4kt's...

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 09:27 PM

4-kts ? Yea --- my money would be on the M32 !!

I think the minimum wind needed for a foiling kite is around 6-kts ; but
remember that kite can be put on 40-meter lines, to take
advantage of wind that above the wind-gradient.

Anything , and i mean Anything above 6-kts, up to 40-kts
and the kite is gonna Win , (except against the AC-72).
And the kiter is gonna win with about $5-k worth of equipment !

Sailrocket , only goes in One direction .

Bille

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/11/15 09:59 PM

I could win with my jet ski with about $1200 in equipment, in just about any wind. Oops, make that $1250. I forgot about my life jacket

Re: Nacra 20 FCS vs M32 vs Foiling Kite vs Moth - Featuring JC - 03/12/15 02:30 AM

And you forgot about gas...how much in gas? ;^)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums