Catsailor.com

Tilt trailer plans

Posted By: Patrick ng

Tilt trailer plans - 04/02/15 07:17 PM

Hi everybody, I'm brand new here posting from Europe. I've been searching this forum as I'm looking to transform a trailer to carry a 10 foot large F18 catamaran. I found a post dating back to 05/25/10 about tilt trailer plans but I've not been able to contact Greg Scace as his email address is no longer in use. My question is: would anyone have any information or plan of this trailer, available to me or any address to contact?
Quote from 05/2510 (A super delux set of plans for a Tornado Flip trailer that grabs the boat by the cross beams and flips it over are available from Greg Scace)
Many thanks
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/02/15 10:08 PM

Mike Krantz had a pretty kickass tilt trailer for his F20. He might be somebody to talk to, but I doubt the plan was much more than a doodle on a piece of paper.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/02/15 10:14 PM

I actually had an entire tilt trailer models in solidworks back in college about 12 years ago (Holy Christ its been that long?). Unfortunate it's one of those things thats been consigned to internet purgatory forever.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/02/15 10:36 PM

Do a search for Mike Dobbs on this list... He built one for his Tornado a while back..

Posted By: jaybird1111

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/06/15 11:59 AM

simple trailer:
http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=11313
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/06/15 03:18 PM

Mine was more of a hey ya'll watch this design. I built an "H" frame under the beams with cradles on the ends, pinned it to the trailer so it would tilt, and then emailed bansbach.com with the frame dimensions and the weight I wanted to lift. They recommended which gas struts to purchase and where to mount them. You could lift/tilt the boat with one hand when it was finished...

Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsAZADGRm0
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/07/15 04:56 AM

Booth and Forbes built a tilt trailer for barnstorming across Aus back in the day... I believe they had a fair bit of notes published on the internet.... don't know if its still available. From memory... they just lifted the platform up and braced it in. Also, now a former contributor to the forum Greg Scace built three each had a motorize lift and could withstand 60 mph cross winds..
Posted By: brucat

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/07/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by mikekrantz
Mine was more of a hey ya'll watch this design. I built an "H" frame under the beams with cradles on the ends, pinned it to the trailer so it would tilt, and then emailed bansbach.com with the frame dimensions and the weight I wanted to lift. They recommended which gas struts to purchase and where to mount them. You could lift/tilt the boat with one hand when it was finished...

Wow, file that under "Work Smarter Not Harder!" That's borderline cheating...

Is there any practical advantage to a tilting trailer here in the USA? I'd imagine the height, drag and cross-windage to be significant disadvantages?

Mike
Posted By: Jake

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/07/15 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by mikekrantz

Wow, file that under "Work Smarter Not Harder!" That's borderline cheating...

Is there any practical advantage to a tilting trailer here in the USA? I'd imagine the height, drag and cross-windage to be significant disadvantages?

Mike

When the boat is 10.5 feet wide...
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/07/15 03:01 PM

Yes, it had to tilt or I was taking up 2 lanes going down the road. Just had to remember no ordering from the drive-thru when pulling the rig...
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Tilt trailer plans - 04/10/15 02:08 AM

Mike,
I am looking at doing a tilt trailer for my Supercat 20 after I finish my upgrades and restoration. When I disassembled it last time I decided to make it a priority before getting it back on the beach. Would like a little more info about the cost/specs of those gas struts. How much weight are yours rated for? Probably need to go a size bigger for the Supercat.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums