Catsailor.com

trap harness

Posted By: Mini Me

trap harness - 06/09/15 02:18 AM

Hey.. just got a new cat and need harnesses... what are the best for skipper?
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 04:11 AM

what ever is most comfortable for you. distance racing bouy racing playing cruising all play factors in a good harness.
Posted By: tback

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 10:06 AM

Also depends if you like the crotch vs crotchless.

Zhik T2 or Magic Marine Pro Racing
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 12:52 PM

I have a Goodall harness and I'm pretty happy with it. I did have it altered in the crotch becuase it was cutting me in half and once the crotch was right it became very comfortable. I also have the Zhik T2 and I'm happy with that one too but I prefer the Goodall.

I do both distance and buoy racing, Jake Kohl suggested I cut off the bottoms of an old shorty wetsuite and wear that when distance racing. I can hang in the Goodall with the shorty bottoms all day.

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 03:17 PM

I have the worrell aquata harness and love it
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by F-18 5150
I have the worrell aquata harness and love it

+1 I have the wide leg wraps option (rather than the crotch strap) and that was way cool. A relief zipper in the front of the wetsuit too.
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 05:20 PM

Don't knock the crotch strap until you've tried the new ones Jay... I've sold about 20 crotch styles in the last two years and only one person didn't like it.
You certainly can't competitively race an F16, F18, or etc. wearing a big clunky Worrell Harness. I had a Worrell harness, used it an a Tybee, after that I switch to the Zhik T2 and was more comfortable than I ever was in the Worrell.
Magic Marine has the best all around selection of harnesses for various purposes. I'm wearing the Magic Marine Viper Harness which starting coming with a stretchy crotch this year, I'll likely going to switch to the Magic Marine Team. This year's Team harness is similar to the Viper but just offers a bit more back support. Both are similar to the Zhik T2 but much lighter and less expensive.
Now the crotch style isn't for everyone, for instance if you're sitting up a lot in the trap then the other models are better. The Aquata Worrell, Ronstan Racing, Murrays harnesses, Magic Marine Pro Harness, or the Magic Marine Ultimate which is a great compromise between the two.
Here's a great video from Mischa on all their harnesses, it's a couple years old but all the same models for the same purposes, they've just made small improvements https://vimeo.com/100490021

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 08:09 PM

puh-leze... you're asking ME to join the 21st century? Not gonna happen.

You and all your I-watch wearin', Spot trackin', GPS routin' folks are just nutz.....

Re: trap harness - 06/09/15 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by wildtsail7

You certainly can't competitively race an F16, F18, or etc. wearing a big clunky Worrell Harness.

Good thing I didn't know that this weekend. I might not have won the Delta Ditch Run wearing a Worrell in the F18 class.
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: trap harness - 06/10/15 02:03 AM

Sorry I guess I should have clarified I meant in buoys racing.

Re: trap harness - 06/10/15 04:22 AM

No worries. I just like the comfort of the worrell. I actually use it on bouy racing too. Like I said in the first reply it is what the skipper likes he should try a few.
Posted By: Mini Me

Re: trap harness - 06/11/15 03:19 AM

I guess it matters if you actually have a crotch? What would Bruce do?

Re: trap harness - 06/11/15 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mini Me
I guess it matters if you actually have a crotch? What would Bruce do?

there is a funny story there, told by one of my former female crew
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: trap harness - 06/11/15 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
there is a funny story there, told by one of my former female crew

Well... let's hear it. The crew story that is.

Re: trap harness - 06/11/15 07:41 PM

I don't have enough drinks in me to tell it like she did, but the point of the story was that those straps created a kind of a kazzoo noise when trapped out in moderate breeze...

Did I mention she's the only red-headed Puerto Rican I've ever met?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: trap harness - 06/11/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

Did I mention she's the only red-headed Puerto Rican I've ever met?

You miss her don't you... you twisted little freak. :-)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums