Catsailor.com

Regatta Award Ideas

Posted By: Ventucky Red

Regatta Award Ideas - 08/26/15 10:44 PM

Outside of the trophies for racing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... I have to put together some ideas for some additional awards to make things a little fun for next year..

I am thinking of:

Furthest distance traveled for the race
Oldest combined crew
Youngest combined crew
Oldest Skipper
Youngest skipper
Oldest year manufactured boat..

Any others?

Posted By: Jake

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/26/15 11:19 PM

Style point winner? (which can be for anything...a pitch pole, boat condition, or gear selection)
Posted By: Pirate

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/27/15 10:47 AM

One I was quite humbled to have won was the "Spiriters Award"
Awarded for displaying the true spirit of the sport and done on the knowledge sharing and invaluable assistance to fellow sailors both on and off the water during the regatta...

Very humbled to have my name placed alongside of those that I regarded as Gods as a jnr sailor

Posted By: mbounds

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/27/15 01:12 PM

Daily awards can be a yellow ribbon (like the yellow jersey in the Tour de France) for the leader

Purple ribbon for the person who won the party the night before.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/27/15 02:19 PM

Most improved (vs last year's results).

Oldest regatta T-shirt, particularly fun if for that specific regatta (and it has a long history).

Sportsmanship should be a staple. But, don't award it just to award it, or it will diminish the value.

Best (or ugliest) trailer / box?

For a local fun regatta, we get gift certificates from our dealer/sponsor. We have given those to the bottom of the fleet, as they are usually new sailors and/or have old boats.

Mike
Posted By: tshan

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/27/15 08:38 PM

Half Way/butt Award - for the boat/crew that finishes exactly in the middle of the fleet. The award is usually half a toilet seat decorated however you like it.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/27/15 11:51 PM

Don't forget the volunteers that put it on. We just put on a junior regatta for 39 boats. I had two trophies with the regatta name and year titled Regatta Director's Trophy. I had no idea who I would award them to.

The first went to the grandmother of one of the sailors. She raked the beach of broken coral so the hulls wouldn't get scratched.

The other went to one of the kids who was a back marker but kept trying.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/28/15 09:38 AM

Fat bastard award for crews over a given weight.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/28/15 03:58 PM

I got fuzzy dice for "pimp my ride" award after I showed up with a new spin.

I tried to tie them to the bridle wires, but they got all tangled up... Maybe the boom next time

Maybe a fake skunk tail for DFL?

I still like brag flags the best. Especially since you can string them up the boom lift after sailing
Posted By: Jake

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/28/15 06:34 PM

On the funnier sides of perpetual trophies, our sailing club used to have a plastic pig that would be awarded to the last person to have run aground. That person would have to hang the pig from their pullpit/bow until someone else earned the award. That pig was lost when the current heir left the club (I think).
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/28/15 06:54 PM

Don't forget the Charmin Award, for the boat cleaning up the rear

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/31/15 02:15 PM

what perpetual trophy could you award to the person with the most breakdowns/repairs?
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/31/15 02:21 PM

Roll of duck tape and bailing wire, of course
Posted By: JeffS

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 08/31/15 11:13 PM

Old flyscreen from a window and araldite that's what my mate used on a distance race when he ran out of glass
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 09/01/15 11:13 AM

How about a railroad spike and award it to the one that had the longest tack

Re: Regatta Award Ideas - 09/01/15 02:47 PM

oldest combined crew age
youngest combined crew age
heaviest / lightest

geeze keep this up and everyone gets a trophy!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums