Catsailor.com

C2 and Viper Owners

Posted By: David Ingram

C2 and Viper Owners - 09/09/15 05:51 PM

From Jill on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/robbie.daniel.18?fref=ts

F16 VIper and F18 C2 Shroud anchor upgrade. If you have a Viper and have not had your Shroud anchors upgraded and are coming to the Nationals in Sarasota, please contact Jill at 727-734-0799 or funinthesunweb@gmail.com We are going to try and replace these at the F16 Nationals in Sarasota in October. Replacement days will be Oct 16 & 17 for the C2.s and the 27th & 28th for the Vipers. You must be on the list to do it then.
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/09/15 08:03 PM

What's the failure mode? I'm the 2nd owner, so not sure if my '10 C2 was ever done. Anchors are rock solid, but...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/09/15 09:43 PM

They snap off inside the hull. Check with Jill or Goodall Design when they stopped shipping boats that had the issue. You'll be able to tell if yours have been fixed post delivery because there will be a 1 inch scar in the gelcoat around the chain plate.

PM me your email address and I'll send you Jim Boyer's guide on how to effect the repair.

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/09/15 11:09 PM

I had heard of some kind of campaign to replace these, but have to admit I hadn't taken it very seriously. Not liking the idea of a sudden failure. Not sure when or if I'll have my boat in Florida this winter. Will send a pm.

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/09/15 11:28 PM

Edited highlights or the repair:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Attached picture 3.jpg

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/09/15 11:31 PM

then...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 4.jpg
Attached picture 5.jpg
Attached picture 6.jpg

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/09/15 11:32 PM

Finally..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 7.jpg
Attached picture 8.jpg
Posted By: catman

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 12:41 AM

Is that tang just a bent piece of stainless with a nut holding it on the threaded bit? Would have liked to see the new tang before it was installed.

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 01:03 AM

No the tang is a machined lug with a drilled and tapped thread that screws down onto the thread shown in the third last image. I believe from Rehmbo that this detail might have changed as he describes his as more like an eye bolt.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 09:14 AM

Scarecrow, that is the old capricorn tangs, the C2 / Viper uses and eye bolt. this has nothing to do with that repair nor are there any forecast failures.

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 09:49 AM

So what is the upgrade Jill and Robbie are offering to do?
Posted By: Dazz

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 10:08 AM

changing metric eye bolts for imperial ones.. or so i have heard...

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dazz

That is not correct. The eye bolts have been known to fail and are being swapped out for larger ones. The new ones may be imperial but that has nothing to do with the issue.

Jeff, I doubt your boat was been swapped out, email Jill and ask her to send you the hardware and the instructions I'm sure it's not that difficult.
Posted By: Jake

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Dazz

That is not correct. The eye bolts have been known to fail and are being swapped out for larger ones. The new ones may be imperial but that has nothing to do with the issue.

Jeff, I doubt your boat was swapped out, email Jill and ask here to send you the hardware and the instructions I'm sure it's not that difficult.

That is pretty incredible dealer support...I have to say.

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

In my case its not their fault. I'm about 1200 miles from them and haven't had my boat in FL in a couple years (something I need to rectify this year!)

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 02:09 PM

100% agree! To be honest it's the only reason I'm on a C2 instead of an Infusion.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 03:20 PM

I noticed a rust stain on the first few pictures showing the damage.

Wonder if that stain's appearance indicated some sort of crevice corrosion prior to the ultimate failure?

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by rehmbo

In my case its not their fault. I'm about 1200 miles from them and haven't had my boat in FL in a couple years (something I need to rectify this year!)

Yep! Steeplechase, Tradewinds and Charlotte Harbour is a great winter series. Plus there is that week long event in October :-)
Posted By: samc99us

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 03:25 PM

Infusion support has been fixed-Nacra NA is under new management. Our Mk. 2 is very well built and very quick.
Posted By: tshan

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 05:05 PM

My first though, as well. Good work.
Posted By: brucat

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I noticed a rust stain on the first few pictures showing the damage.

Wonder if that stain's appearance indicated some sort of crevice corrosion prior to the ultimate failure?

I will certainly not claim to be an expert, but there are many people who believe exactly what you describe (rust is a warning sign of a deeper problem with stainless fittings).

Very wise of Jill to proactively manage this, in a very organized manner.

Mike
Posted By: wildtsail7

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 09:27 PM

Thanks Sam! Ding I'll remember that smile
To be fair it is the reason I switched to a C2 as well. Jill and AHPC really stand by their product as any manufacturer should.
Gunnar and I are committed to doing the same for Nacra.
The new shroud bolt is Nearly twice the size of the old one. It snaps with no notice (we nearly lost our rig but it snapped going into a tack so I saw it and aborted the tack before the rig came down). Other point is make sure it is perpendicularly pointing towards mast so it doesn't size load the tang.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/10/15 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by rehmbo
What's the failure mode? I'm the 2nd owner, so not sure if my '10 C2 was ever done. Anchors are rock solid, but...

I'm about positive your boat has not had this changed out.
Posted By: bacho

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/11/15 10:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up, guess this means I gotta head to Florida.
Posted By: Jake

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/11/15 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by bacho
Thanks for the heads up, guess this means I gotta head to Florida.

If you're not looking for an excuse to travel to FL, I'm sure we can knock that out ;-)
Posted By: Mac McCallum

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/11/15 04:51 PM

If you're not looking for an excuse to travel to FL, I'm sure we can knock that out ;-)[/quote]

Can I bring my viper to that party?
Posted By: bacho

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/22/15 12:40 AM

The bolts on my C2 are about an inch wide, they are from my memory larger than the bolts on Mac's 2009 Viper. Does this mean I already have the upgraded bolts?
Posted By: dr5e14w

Re: C2 and Viper Owners - 09/23/15 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by bacho
The bolts on my C2 are about an inch wide, they are from my memory larger than the bolts on Mac's 2009 Viper. Does this mean I already have the upgraded bolts?

are they the same size as the chain plates for the bridle. If they are bigger than the bridle then it's been upgraded.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums