Catsailor.com

F18 Americas

Posted By: jkkartz1

F18 Americas - 10/15/15 06:00 PM

It is a beautiful day on Charlotte Harbor. Temp in the mid 80's and 8-12 breeze.

I drove by Port Charlotte Beach this morning and several teams are already setting up.

Ding, I'll catch you sometime this weekend with the promised rum.

Have fun folks!
Posted By: brucat

Re: F18 Americas - 10/15/15 06:12 PM

This is the official site, correct? http://usf18.com/events/2015-f18-americas/

Currently showing 35 entries, correct?

Looks like a great event! Hoping you get great weather (and wind)!

EDIT: Will there be any live updates or tracking for us to follow?

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/17/15 10:10 PM

NOAA says SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY Sunday through Tuesday.

Should be sporting!
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 12:43 PM

The Charlotte Harbor folks are already exceeding expectations, they are eager and very nice we really lucked out!

Rumor on the beach is we have a bid for the Outer Banks for the 2016 Championship, yahoo!

Time to go to racing!
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 06:21 PM

While I sit in Tokyo with major jet-lag and wishing I was in FL, I just exchanged a dozen texts with some of my fellow CRAM guys. Sounds like the sh!t hit the proverbial fan today. Many damaged boats. One possibly sunk(?!). Hope all are OK. Apparently big wind gusts over 30. Should be interesting to see the stories trickle in. Since I'm not there to confirm details, I don't want to start rumors, but apparently some of the top contenders were not unscathed.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by rehmbo
While I sit in Tokyo with major jet-lag and wishing I was in FL, I just exchanged a dozen texts from some of my fellow CRAM guys. Sounds like the sh!t hit the proverbial fan today. Many damaged boats. One possibly sunk(?!). Hope all are OK. Apparently big wind gusts over 30. Should be interesting to see the stories trickle in. Since I'm not there to confirm details, I don't want to start rumors, but apparently some of the top contenders were not unscathed.

Holy sh!t batman it was blowing hard. Mike and Tripp broke their mast in a pitch pole on the way out to the course. They on there way to get a replacement and will be on the water tomorrow. Many damaged sails and broken parts. Almost everyone had at least one capsize most had two or more. Only one race today.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 07:41 PM

Hopefully no injuries, right?

The wind chart is interesting. Average was 15 or less, with gusts under 25, but the gusts were frequent and huge compared to the averages, which is certainly not easy to handle.

Results? Rumored top ten?

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 08:59 PM

Huge variation in wind speed records at various nearby sailflow sites. Looking at the attrition, I'd guess yacht club wind and on-water wind were two different things.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 09:19 PM

My boss drove by the harbor this morning and saw the fleet flying downwind. He wondered how they would get back upwind. Flatten out the main, drop the traveler and get a 225 # crew.

Dave, Thank You for the compliment. It is always fun to see other people having fun!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by rehmbo
Huge variation in wind speed records at various nearby sailflow sites. Looking at the attrition, I'd guess yacht club wind and on-water wind were two different things.

Good point, especially with that direction. But, regardless of the amount of wind, the huge variations between the means and gusts is what typically gets you.

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/19/15 10:11 PM

Charlotte Harbor is shallow and basically goes from east to west. The tide was outgoing and it is still draining the Peace River basin from rainy season. High tide this morning 6:34 AM 2.1, Low tide 3:05 PM .2. East wind 15, 20 and more against tide.

Upwind and laylines must have been real interesting.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by brucat
Hopefully no injuries, right?

The wind chart is interesting. Average was 15 or less, with gusts under 25, but the gusts were frequent and huge compared to the averages, which is certainly not easy to handle.

Results? Rumored top ten?

Mike

Results are here: https://www.regattatech.com/events/CHR/F18Americas15/scoring/showResultsRoster

The charts you reference are probably pretty accurate we all tend to think it's bigger than it really is when we are living it. Water was flat breeze strong and for the most part completely manageable until you needed to jibe. For me, I really needed to hit it just right and I missed the first time. The second time we ate it was when I jibed to pick up a separated sailor. Fortunately he was picked up by a chase boat and that's when I called it. Crew boat and skipper were all in good shape and I was getting out while we were still ahead :-)

Looking forward to tomorrow, still a good breeze but maybe not so much. I didn't bring enough rum to do 1/4 race a day.

Lot's of damage but it looks like everyone is making an effort to get it sorted to be back in the game tomorrow! Spirts appear to be high but I'm not that sociable and my circle is pretty small so I could be completely wrong on that account.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 02:25 AM

From the description above, I would have guessed that the waves wouldn't be so bad (breeze coming offshore, with the current), but it's hard to say without being there, of course. Thanks for confirming that, Ding.

8 of 28 finished, wow. Good thing they cut it to one race, or that would quickly turn into a deep hole from which to climb.

Hope tomorrow is nicer for you!

Mike
Posted By: tshan

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 01:01 PM

Should DNS get the same score as DNF? Seems like a DNF should be rewarded for giving it a go.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 01:57 PM

I thought DNF was a finish # of DFL, but DNS was DNF+1?

Sorry to hear you guys got plastered Monday. We had a thoroughly delightful Buzzelli just up the road at SSS... They kept pushing the big wind forecast back, so the nuking 25-35 knots we were predicted to get on Sunday only turned out to be 15-20 which was ideal..

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 02:04 PM

The scorecard in the link above has both as "number of registered + 1". Theoretically, I like rewarding DNF over DNS - how much is debatable. Seems like it used to be that way, but I have not raced in a long time.

Sorry for the hijack.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 02:58 PM

Per RRS, the default for letter scores such as DSQ, BFD, DNE, OCS, DNC, DNS, DNF, etc. is entries plus one. Any of these can be changed by the SIs.

It's been this way for many, many rule book revisions (aka, at least a decade). The Hobie standard SI template used to use finishers plus one for DNF, but it's been at least a decade (almost two) since that was a standard practice.

The most common thing I see (across various classes, mono or cats) is TLE, which is typically finishers plus one or two. This is for boats still racing, but are too far behind to finish within x minutes after the first boat (all of which needs to be spelled out in the SIs).

Back on topic...

They should be in sequence now, wind looks a bit more manageable than yesterday.

Go Tall Guy!!!

Mike
Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 05:17 PM

Yes, the Buzzelli was a blast!!! I was sailing the red Weta.

Hijacks-R-us

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 05:45 PM

Here is some video:

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/10/19/video-broken-tripod/

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 06:40 PM

Wind chart looks challenging, but not quite as bad as yesterday. Three races scored so far today, lots more letter scores, I'm sure there's more to the story.

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by tshan

Wow, awesome footage!

How did Mike break the stick? Did he sheet out the main when the bows dug in?

That start line sequence was awful for just about the whole fleet! Any start and finish is good if you're upright, I guess...

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tshan

Wow, awesome footage!

How did Mike break the stick? Did he sheet out the main when the bows dug in?

That start line sequence was awful for just about the whole fleet! Any start and finish is good if you're upright, I guess...

Mike

Agreed! Terrible start for the majority of the of the fleet but it was really on and you couldn't hear anything. Mark did warn us that he starts on time (which I REALLY like!). If you weren't paying attention or didn't believe the start would start on time you got left behind. The starts today weren't as clean as I've seen them in the past (fleet wise) but it was a whole lot tighter.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/20/15 10:49 PM

Most likely, he's using GPS time. Synch your watch to a GPS (to the second), and you won't need a timer for the first race. If he's using even minutes for all starts, you won't need a timer at all.

Starting on even GPS minutes is one of the more subtle sailor-friendly things a good RC can do. Rock star RC will always time the initial warning/start on an even 5.

As a PRO, I can do this, but will admit to using the timer as a crutch when racing myself. Life would be much simpler if I could break that habit. You never have to worry about missing the flags, or synching a backup when (not if) the primary timer gets bumped and stops during the sequence.

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/21/15 05:49 PM

Two more races scored today, weather looks much kinder, low teens with slightly higher gusts.

Sarah and Matthew are looking invincible! All bullets with a throwout of 3! Very impressive.

Good news/bad news for Todd. Back on the water, got a 2, then an OCS. Ouch. Why was he out for two days, BTW?

Tall Guy hanging in!!!

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/21/15 09:33 PM

so when it's honking (like the +/- 27 knots), is it still faster/safer to run the spin downwind?
Posted By: dr5e14w

Re: F18 Americas - 10/21/15 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
so when it's honking (like the +/- 27 knots), is it still faster/safer to run the spin downwind?

Since it wasn't steady 27 I'd say for sure run the kite. I would have. To be honest. There was plenty of carnage but the water looked pretty flat for the amount of wind so should have been relatively manageable. Granted I wasn't there so this is my wild guess. However. I run the kite downwind on the viper every time it's that windy so wouldn't hesitate on a bigger boat

Re: F18 Americas - 10/21/15 10:36 PM

Two more scored (4 total today).

Sarah/Matthew got a second 3 and another bullet, looking unstoppable now.

Virtual three-way tie for second, one point total separating Olivier, JC and Mike/Tripp!

Tall Guy hanging in the Top 10!!!

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 02:36 AM

It is faster to run the kite in breeze. If you want to win it is what you have to do. If your plan is to win the war attrition you don't run the kite and that's my opinion only. I have had very skilled sailors tell I'm flat wrong about not running the kite in breeze. If you want to be safe you stay on the beach.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 01:26 PM

I'm not a spin boat sailor, so I won't claim first-hand knowledge, but that makes sense based on conversations and observations.

Running the spin makes you faster and somewhat minimizes the effect of the breeze, as the apparent wind moves forward.

Dealing with frequent 10 knot gusts when you're already depowered due to high average wind is what really wipes you out. True on any boat, even more so with a ton on sail area up.

Mike
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 02:03 PM

It's all about keeping the apparent wind from going aft. Run too deep, or too slow and the pressure on the square top main, drives the bow down and over you go.

Works the same on A-Cats, spins boats, etc...

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 05:42 PM

I agree totally, Mike, but was wondering what you do if you're already super-deep angle because of the wind strength... and have all that cloth up (spin, jib, and main)

If any puff hits, where do you go? I suspect on the 18s with all your weight on the back of the bus, you just keep squirting out ahead.

For a non- or semi-planing hull, do you run a greater risk of broach?

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 06:27 PM

Four more scored today? Wow, in under 3.5 hours. How long are the races?

Sarah has a new throwout, a 7.

Easton is getting serious.

Riccardi got a bullet!

Tall Guy slipped a bit...

We need more stories!!!

Mike
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 07:19 PM

We need more stories!!!

Mike

Easy solution. Buy my boat. Go to the event. Tell the stories.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 07:28 PM

Jay,

There's a certain point where it is game over. David and I did a Steeplechase 7-8 years ago where it was blowing 20+ and got hit by a squall with 35+ sustained while exiting Angel Creek. We pitchpoled with the kite up a couple of times, we took the spin down and pitchpoled a couple more times. We finally took the main down and were doing 15 knots under jib only. As the wind laid down, we would pull the main part of the way up and let it plaster against the shrouds. We maintained over 15 knots for that way until the wind got back down in the 20's. n Then we spun the boat up, re-set the main and spin, and finished the run to Anne's beach. There were several people and boats that got separated that day, and at least one CG rescue...

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff.Dusek

We need more stories!!!

Mike

Spot ****ing on Jeff! You are missed my friend please don't leave the fleet.
Posted By: Jeff.Dusek

Re: F18 Americas - 10/22/15 07:56 PM

Not leaving the fleet, but Brooks moved to SF and I can't do the boat alone. Now that grad school is done I'm hoping to make it down for Steeplechase or Tradewinds... and Florida 300 is tempting!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Jeff.Dusek

We need more stories!!!

Mike

Spot ****ing on Jeff!

Um, not quite...

We need the stories from folks who are there. I have a long history of providing this for events I attend, but no one can go to everything.

We all want more people to sail with us, there's nothing like good stories to keep the interest up. It's advertising that you simply can't buy.

I feel like we (across classes) have taken a step backwards over the past few years.

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 12:43 PM

More video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3k5obr5G8

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 05:06 PM

I feel like we (across classes) have taken a step backwards over the past few years.

Mike

In what way? Not posting stories about events? We've hashed out all the reasons classes and the sport itself appear to be dwindling...
Posted By: Bob_Curry

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 05:27 PM

I've noted over quite a few videos (N17 and the Day3 F18 vid) of Sarah's starts and she is routinely behind. I hope her coaches have noticed. Not knocking the kids, they are sailing quite awesome, just making an observation where they need improvement as they head to the games.

Bob wink

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 06:43 PM

Online coverage in general was much better a few years ago. It's not just stories.

Back on topic, congrats to all the sailors and winners this week!

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 07:58 PM

Sarah and Mathew win the last race and seal the deal. They are the 2015 F18 North American Champions.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 08:02 PM

Online coverage in general was much better a few years ago. It's not just stories.

Back on topic, congrats to all the sailors and winners this week!

Mike

The Facebook coverage has been pretty much on par with the coverage we've had in the past. If you want professional coverage you have to pay for it and it's expensive and most hosts can't afford it when the budget is just entry fees and some sponsorship money. In the past there may have been more motivation to spring for high end coverage in the hopes of wooing more sponsors and when that didn't pan out the coverage evolved into what we have today.

Case in point, the A-Cat championship spent several thousand dollars on the A-cat coverage and they were able to afford it because they got a grant from the city. Most championships don't have that kind of assistance.

Posted By: Jake

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mikekrantz
Sarah and Mathew win the last race and seal the deal. They are the 2015 F18 North American Champions.

Wow! Congratulations!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 10:10 PM

Facebook would be something. Not seeing an obvious link to that here or on the event website?

Mike
Posted By: Timbo

Re: F18 Americas - 10/23/15 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikekrantz

Congrats to Sarah and Matt! They are 'kids' but kicking butt in a fleet loaded with very talented adults! But, boy do I feel old now!

And Mike, I got a ride (twice) on a F20C over in Tel Aviv, with our own Opher (thanks Opher!) who took me out on his boat on two layovers there.

What a ride! I didn't realize the boat is 10' wide, which makes a huge difference going downwind in good wind and big swells. It's very stable. Opher was surfing down the bigger swells and we were having a great ride, upwind and down.

Will we see a of F20C's in the USA any time soon? I wonder why the boat hasn't caught on as quickly here, as it has over there, they have a fleet of 5 at their club in Caesarea. Perhaps the 10' width (hauling issues) and price are keeping them down in numbers?

Sorry for the thread creep, and Congratulations again to Sarah and Matt!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/24/15 06:29 PM

Facebook would be something. Not seeing an obvious link to that here or on the event website?

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/charlotteh...MzBhMGNjMDZkMDRlNDEzYmEwMWVjODM4ODUyZiJ9

It's hard for me to get after volunteers Mike.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/26/15 12:36 PM

Thanks for the link. I didn't see much there after Day 1, but I'm not the world's greatest FB user.

I would certainly hope you wouldn't be harsh on your volunteers.

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/26/15 01:40 PM

I wonder if there would be any interest from the local vocational tech schools which have a media department... You think those kids would be out looking for projects..

Donate a drone or two and you'd probably have a full production team out there...

Re: F18 Americas - 10/26/15 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Timbo

And Mike, I got a ride (twice) on a F20C over in Tel Aviv, with our own Opher (thanks Opher!) who took me out on his boat on two layovers there.

I wonder why the boat hasn't caught on as quickly here, as it has over there, they have a fleet of 5 at their club in Caesarea.

You can make the same statement about the SC22 and ask the same question and I bet you the answers are pretty darn similar.

How come you don't have one Tim?

Re: F18 Americas - 10/26/15 04:04 PM

You can make the same statement about the SC22 and ask the same question and I bet you the answers are pretty darn similar.

Youth
Money
Time

Pick 2

Re: F18 Americas - 10/27/15 12:14 AM

I wonder why the boat hasn't caught on as quickly here, as it has over there, they have a fleet of 5 at their club in Caesarea.

How come you don't have one Tim?

If Nacra would accept 10 horses, 7 dogs, and 4 kids in trade, I'd have one!
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: F18 Americas - 10/27/15 03:05 AM

You have ten hay burners? I've always liked you, but you're an idiot Tim. laugh

Re: F18 Americas - 10/27/15 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
You have ten hay burners? I've always liked you, but you're an idiot Tim. laugh

You missed a comma.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/27/15 10:34 AM

After idiot? Or after but?

Re: F18 Americas - 10/27/15 01:34 PM

Ah the old I have too much money excuse.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 01:03 PM

Ah the old I have too much money excuse.

If I had too much money, I'd have too many boats too, right?

It's the old "My wife spends too much money on my 4 kids" excuse.

How many kids do you and Karl have, combined?

How many kids have you two put through college?

I suppose I could have pulled them out of college just so I could buy a brand new F20C, but I doubt if they'd crew for me...

Until you've walked a mile in another man's shoes, don't try to tell him you know better. You don't know schidt.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 01:55 PM

If I had too much money, I'd have too many boats too, right?

It's the old "My wife spends too much money on my 4 kids" excuse.

How many kids do you and Karl have, combined?

How many kids have you two put through college?

I suppose I could have pulled them out of college just so I could buy a brand new F20C, but I doubt if they'd crew for me...

Until you've walked a mile in another man's shoes, don't try to tell him you know better. You don't know schidt.

Tim you chose your life just like I did and nobody forced you get married and have 4 kids. You clearly make more $$ than most on this forum and when you cry poor it kinda has an odor. Don't blame your wife and kids for you not being able to get a toy or going to regatta's if you really wanted it I'm confident you could sort it out. And when you ask questions like 'how come more people don't have an expensive toy that consumes a significant amount of off time and is kind of a hassle?' Ask yourself the same question and maybe, just maybe think to yourself that other people may have the same obligations you do. Well, except for the horses that's just stupid.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 02:41 PM

Yeah, I get it Dave, but this sport seems to have a lot of 'Dual Income No Kids' (DINK's) at the upper levels of competition.

I thought the F20C would be more popular here in the States, perhaps it's the trailering hassle with the 10' beam, kind of like the Tornado issues.
Posted By: Grandude

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 03:15 PM

Not so fast... I have 2 kids, 2 grand kids, put my daughter through college, and had big property with horses through all of it. Just went to my first F18 nationals at 53, finished 14th. Life is what you make it, its about priorities and living within your means. We down sized after kids to go sailing and be healthy.

My pickup is paid for... most people spend more on their vehicle than I spend on sailing. Priorities I say. BTW... are you teaching those kids to sail?

PS. you know those guys who stay up all night to get you off the gate on time? Yeah hotshot, keep your bows down.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 04:43 PM

My 2007 F150 is paid for too, but I've still got 2 of the 4 kids in college.

They all took sailing lessons from about age 8-13, the twins who are now 26 got deep into horses at the urging of their mother, who hates sailing, thinks it's stupid, why work so hard to go so slow, and rely on the wind, when you can buy a power boat for less, turn a key and be gone, or be back home in minutes?

I'm starting to see her point and after 28 years of arguing about it, I may sell my Blade and get a power boat.

Ahhh...domestic bliss. (insert eye roll emojie)

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 06:46 PM

Yeah, I get it Dave, but this sport seems to have a lot of 'Dual Income No Kids' (DINK's) at the upper levels of competition.

I thought the F20C would be more popular here in the States, perhaps it's the trailering hassle with the 10' beam, kind of like the Tornado issues.

I'm part of a SINK.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jake

I'm part of a SINK.

That's ****ing funny right there!

I'm self employed. I've been working lots of hours, and I haven't seen a paycheck since 13'. sick

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 08:36 PM

Tim,

I see the problem, you need an F18! Chicks dig it. Just tell the little woman that the boat will make her look thinner and younger and has been clinically proven to increase the testosterone levels in males of all ages. The south eastern fleet now provides marriage counselling for sailing couples. No worries.
Posted By: Will_R

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 09:05 PM

...deep into horses at the urging of their mother, who hates sailing, thinks it's stupid, why work so hard to go so slow, and rely on the wind, when you can buy a power boat for less, turn a key and be gone, or be back home in minutes?

I'm starting to see her point and after 28 years of arguing about it, I may sell my Blade and get a power boat.

Ahhh...domestic bliss. (insert eye roll emojie)

Sounds like my old program, but no kids, multiple horses... So... I fired the wife.

NOW I have domestic bliss!!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grandude
Tim,

I see the problem, you need an F18! Chicks dig it. Just tell the little woman that the boat will make her look thinner and younger and has been clinically proven to increase the testosterone levels in males of all ages. The south eastern fleet now provides marriage counselling for sailing couples. No worries.

You know, now that I think of it, I did see an F18 that said something like, "99 Problems" upside down on the side, and had a pink spinnaker, wonder what ever happened to that boat, and the wife?!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/28/15 09:38 PM

You had to go there... that's an extreme situation and they are currently in therapy... on separate boats.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 12:30 AM

I love Karl and Beth, I hope they get back on the same boat. But you'll never, ever, ever, see my wife on a beach cat! She did say I could buy a Corsair Trimaran...so I'm saving my money for that. And then we are going RACING!
Posted By: Dazz

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 01:30 AM

Now that is some funny stuff right there.

https://vimeo.com/143863978
Posted By: Tom Korz

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 04:11 AM

Sorry Grandude, but chicks don't dig F18,s. Just look forward on your boat. Take a good look at the score sheet you may find 5 sailing.

If you want a chick friendly class check the H16. 40% of the sailors were "chicks" or women. (Beth was there, I'm sure you know)

Both are GREAT classes with Great sailors

The two classes are only similar because they are cats.

Totally different demographics.

Both great racing classes

Sailing/racing cats for a while we all have seen friends come and go and come back again wink I would hate to lose Timbo to the dark (power) side. FYI we have a power boat, don't use it as much as the sailboats tho.

We all have to make choices, whether it be what class to sail or whether to not sail at all.

I am lucky to have a wife that has skippered the Worrell, top fived an F18 NA.s as helm, 4th at the largest H16 NA's (120 boats) and double handed the Atlantic on a 35' water ballasted monohull and kicks my butt regularly on the race course. Yes i am proud and very lucky. Most guys are lucky to get there significant others to race an occasional regatta. She the exception NOT the rule.

Tim sail when you can and keep your family happy!! Get an F31 it's the only way to go!!

Attached picture SPK Amb del.jpg
Attached picture Susan & hobie.jpg

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 02:23 PM

I'd venture a guess that this statement is true for any sport or activity...? except maybe child-rearing (if that is considered a sport)

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 02:32 PM

...and has been clinically proven to increase the testosterone levels in males of all ages.

not sure how that would improve a marriage, but it is good to know...

And Timbo, I guess I did pay more to go slower (than an N20), but now I can carry more people, coolers/beer (that lemonade beer crap you brought did taste rather good on Saturday) and - being the ultimate cheapskate - I could live in it if needed.

And my backup plan = yoots attend the USCG academy so at least their college would be paid for... They can do their patriotic duty, not get blown up nearly as often, and they'll get a healthy education in how to put up with BS.

If only I'd thought of that (academy) when I was young I'd probably have ended up a productive member of society

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 02:37 PM

Tom your absolutely right and please understand that my twisted humor drives much of what I say. I also am married to one of those exceptions who supports my adventures, she only gets on the F18 for "mild" sailing. Men like us are fortunate indeed.

Tim, Karl crewed for me in Nats and Beth was great help on the beach. Yes, good people.

I wish trimarans were not so freakin expensive... I too lust for one of those. It seems a natural progression to a boat with speed, stability and comfort. Chicks will dig it, at least mine will.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dazz

who are those poor saps? I feel bad for them... really.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 03:44 PM

I wish trimarans were not so freakin expensive..

Depends on what you want. Bleeding edge technology/2016 model year = $$$

I got mine cheaper than the vehicle I tow it with. Its a dead boat class (F-24) but fun as heck. I've seen some (that need some TLC but no major issues) as cheap as a new F18 with trailer.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 06:00 PM

...and has been clinically proven to increase the testosterone levels in males of all ages.

not sure how that would improve a marriage, but it is good to know...

Science geek here: Testosterone drives libido in females. Too much may have undesirable side effects, of course...

Mike
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 07:03 PM

My wife crewed for me on the ole N20.

Twice.

(Which is exactly half of the time I got to sail! :P In her defense, she wanted to sail a lot more, but medical school was waayy more important.)

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 07:37 PM

Science geek here: Testosterone drives libido in females. Too much may have undesirable side effects, of course...

Mike

Yes, I prefer my ladies "sans beard" But some do like the East German Olympic ladies swim team types....

Re: F18 Americas - 10/29/15 09:51 PM

The idea with the testosterone is to promote aging gracefully without becoming a softy, I can't imagine any wife not liking this. But if the unintended consequence is that her voice starts getting deeper, than it would be time for a power boat.

That F24 tri fits on a trailer, right? You could be the first to do the steeplechase on a tri! Come on, we're all getting older and it would be like a beachcat with training wheels.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Korz
Sorry Grandude, but chicks don't dig F18,s. Just look forward on your boat. Take a good look at the score sheet you may find 5 sailing.

If you want a chick friendly class check the H16. 40% of the sailors were "chicks" or women. (Beth was there, I'm sure you know)

Both are GREAT classes with Great sailors

The two classes are only similar because they are cats.

Totally different demographics.

Both great racing classes

Sailing/racing cats for a while we all have seen friends come and go and come back again wink I would hate to lose Timbo to the dark (power) side. FYI we have a power boat, don't use it as much as the sailboats tho.

We all have to make choices, whether it be what class to sail or whether to not sail at all.

I am lucky to have a wife that has skippered the Worrell, top fived an F18 NA.s as helm, 4th at the largest H16 NA's (120 boats) and double handed the Atlantic on a 35' water ballasted monohull and kicks my butt regularly on the race course. Yes i am proud and very lucky. Most guys are lucky to get there significant others to race an occasional regatta. She the exception NOT the rule.

Tim sail when you can and keep your family happy!! Get an F31 it's the only way to go!!

Tom, thanks for your advice! If I do go the F...something... route, I'd want a Hobie 16 too, just so I could show up at the parties! That PR H16 Dance Party at Tradewinds a couple years ago was epic! Thanks for coming down all the way from NY!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 12:15 PM

You should see the parties they throw in NY...

Take your H16 to Madcatter once, and it will change your life!

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 02:15 PM

That F24 tri fits on a trailer, right? You could be the first to do the steeplechase on a tri! Come on, we're all getting older and it would be like a beachcat with training wheels.

I would totally do Steeplechase on the F-24 (it does have a trailer)... ESPECIALLY now that they changed the route to overnight at UKSC.

But I think Rick cut off the boat size at 22 ft? Something like that... My DPN is just a hair slower than an H-16, and I know he let's those guys do it...

When is it? Maybe I could "Steeple-Bomb".

EDIT: You would probably have to amend the sailing instructions to allow my use of the small outboard to get through Angelfish. It would be to maintain my position, etc.

Because if you had me tacking / gybing through that cut, I'd wipe ya'll out with my 18' beam. Assuming, of course, that you are slow enough to be back there with me...

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 02:24 PM

crap... I'll be out of town for this year's steeplechase. But might give me time to solicit Rick (and some other tri sailors) to work on the SI/NOR for 2016

Sorry for the thread hijack... but the 2015 F18 Americas are over ...

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 02:45 PM

Yes the scoresheet would lead you to believe that. But! I spent that last two seasons crewing for a woman and the b!tch can freaking drive and she loves it! Then I was lucky enough to get Ms. Darrow (27 year old crewing super freak) to sail with me for America's and by all counts she really seemed to enjoyed herself and it was 5 full days of breeze on!

Years ago I was the poster child for "girls can't crew an F18 competively against the boys" and I was flat wrong! Put a 20 something female that knows her way around a weight room on the front of an F18 and it's freaking on! Granted Darrow's are rare (kinda reminds me of Sue, Tom) but they are out there.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 02:48 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack... but the 2015 F18 Americas are over ...

THEY ARE NEVER OVER! THEY AREN'T OVER UNTIL I SAY THEY ARE OVER!

Yes I meant to yell that!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 03:09 PM

Yes the scoresheet would lead you to believe that. But! I spent that last two seasons crewing for a woman and the b!tch can freaking drive and she loves it! Then I was lucky enough to get Ms. Darrow (27 year old crewing super freak) to sail with me for America's and by all counts she really seemed to enjoyed herself and it was 5 full days of breeze on!

Years ago I was the poster child for "girls can't crew an F18 competitively against the boys" and I was flat wrong! Put a 20 something female that knows her way around a weight room on the front of an F18 and it's freaking on! Granted Darrow's are rare (kinda reminds me of Sue, Tom) but they are out there.

+1

We (CRAM) have been lucky enough to have some good mixed participation this year. Probably ~40% of the F18s at our larger regattas had a lady on the boat.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 03:18 PM

I wouldn't feel bad for them! Uli and Krista can rock the F18 and suicide port gets signifcanlty harder the further you get away from the top. Coming in at postion 6 isn't terrible unless you have someone like Robbie Daniel closing the door on starboard. Nine times out of 10 Uli would have been just fine with that move but he drew the short straw and got Robbie on starboard. Kudo's to Uli for executing a clean peel and getting back on it! And yes he knows that the quick duck is the high percentage play and I'm confident he won't get peeled at A mark again.

Bad karma coming your way Dazz.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 03:45 PM

I wouldn't feel bad for them! Uli and Krista can rock the F18 and suicide port gets signifcanlty harder the further you get away from the top. Coming in at postion 6 isn't terrible unless you have someone like Robbie Daniel closing the door on starboard. Nine times out of 10 Uli would have been just fine with that move but he drew the short straw and got Robbie on starboard. Kudo's to Uli for executing a clean peel and getting back on it! And yes he knows that the quick duck is the high percentage play and I'm confident he won't get peeled at A mark again.

Bad karma coming your way Dazz.

Maybe he was feeling sorry for the C2 that got stuck on the mark. They didn't have too many options. Aside from a last-minute board pull-up, I guess the only way that problem could have been solved is 100m before they got to the mark.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 04:05 PM

Yes, I was feeling bad for the team that made the suicide port call that didn't play out and they got parked at the mark while the parade went by. It was hard to watch that kind of suffering (but watch it I did....twice)

I did question who had overlap, as in which boats did he have to let close the door on him, and which ones were supposed to give him room to round "in a seamanlike manner".

At one point it did look like boats were giving him room underneath, but he just couldn't get out of irons (or was rubbing the mark?)

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 04:26 PM

Yes, I was feeling bad for the team that made the suicide port call that didn't play out and they got parked at the mark while the parade went by. It was hard to watch that kind of suffering (but watch it I did....twice)

I did question who had overlap, as in which boats did he have to let close the door on him, and which ones were supposed to give him room to round "in a seamanlike manner".

At one point it did look like boats were giving him room underneath, but he just couldn't get out of irons (or was rubbing the mark?)

Oh yeah, I blocked that one out. That's Ian but I wouldn't feel too sorry for him he's going to St Barth and he's taking the crewing super freak with him.

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 04:44 PM

THEY ARE NEVER OVER! THEY AREN'T OVER UNTIL I SAY THEY ARE OVER!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 08:48 PM

Gawd I miss you John!

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 10:32 PM

It's great that you are seeing successes with girls on boats. Mark reported that the girls at the US Sailing F16 clinic in MD rocked the boys this summer!

Plus, regatta parties with women are 1000% better than without.

Mike

Re: F18 Americas - 10/30/15 10:42 PM

It's great that you are seeing successes with girls on boats. Mark reported that the girls at the US Sailing F16 clinic in MD rocked the boys this summer!

Plus, regatta parties with women are 1000% better than without.

Mike
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: F18 Americas - 11/01/15 01:19 PM

Yes, in the 70s the Tornado class rushed the ladies out. After the Carter debacle, I got rid of the T for a TheMightyHobie18. Wow, free beer, dogs and awesome dames in bikinis. Where had I been?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums