Catsailor.com

Steeplechase thoughts

Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Steeplechase thoughts - 10/30/15 04:24 PM

Before I get off in the weeds too much about this (it was brought up in the F18 America's thread), are you folks even interested in allowing smaller (22' - 28') trimarans to sail the Steeplechase? I'm not sure how many in that community would be interested, but I know there are more than a handful in the SW and S. Florida area.

If so, other questions include:
- trailer launching/retrieval... Is it possible at Islander (is the ramp sufficient)? I think the ramp would need about 2-3 feet of water depth at a reasonable slope to get the boats on/off the trailer. And good grip for the tow vehicle tires

- dockage. Looks pretty shallow along that fishing pier/dock at Islander. The tris draw about 18" with all up but if the seas/wind are up from the east it could be difficult to tie up. Are there any moorings afixed in the water? I see a very small basin next door at the Carribean(?) to the south which could fit a few folded tris in a pinch.

- trailer storage. Where did ya'll park your trailers?

- UKSC seems like an awesome place to tie/raft up overnight on Saturday. The tris are 18+ feet wide, but used to rafting up (especially if there is a floating dock somewhere), or could even be folded up (to 8'6" width) to fit in ordinary boat slips.

- Angelfish creek could be hazardous. Would organizers be willing to allow outboard motor use only to cross safely (not improve position, etc)?

Other thoughts or considerations?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 10/30/15 04:43 PM

I'm not sure launching at the Islander for an F boat is workable. The access is loose (not a concrete ramp) and it's shallow with a very gradual drop for a long way out. We keep our trailers at the Islander. As for your other questions I'd contact Rick White and/or Craig Van Eaton

craig (at) cyberspeed (dot) cc

I'm totally hands off this go around.

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 10/30/15 04:49 PM

sigh. kind of what I figured. At least it was a short discussion...
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 10/30/15 06:49 PM

I thought the Islander had a motor boat launch ramp near by? Where do they launch the committee boat for Tradewinds?
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 11/01/15 01:27 PM

I am open for anything that keeps the event operating and fun.
Jay, you have great questions.
You might have problems with the launching there, but there should be some sort of launching facility nearby on the Ocean Side.., Holiday Isle?
You cannot tie up to the pier except for loading and off loading. You have to anchor off or moor off.
Last year we sort of started off the beach on the south side.., hopefully on the north side this year. Very shallow.
The creeks have been the reason we call it the Steeplechase, and for beach cat allow paddling anywhere on the course, and you can pass someone, if you are better paddler -- Remember Joe Green, the muscleman.
That would not be good on the tris.., who has the better engine. So, a no pass rule would be needed, for sure
At the UKSC there are docks that are assigned and a few not assigned that could be used. So, if a big fleet, many would have to anchor or moor off.

I don't see this as a combined scoring race, rather a 22' and under and over 22' Class.

Let's keep this alive and offer any thoughts you might have.
Rick

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 11/02/15 03:33 PM

Agreed. With all the hard work you and others have put in this event, I would love to see the event grow in attendance numbers.

Obviously this is still a beachcat race, but if there were interest outside this community and it didn't involve significant extra effort by RC/PRO, I would think it beneficial?

Perhaps even some of those adventurer types (from EC, etc) might be interested? Or is it too easy an event for them? Might make a good test/feeder race for entry-level adventure racers?
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 11/04/15 03:03 AM

It's a great beach cat race with a legacy. Why screw with that? If you want a race that also includes big tris and adventure racers then start a new race with a new name.All the extra classes equals extra work, and I can almost guarantee that will be the death knell for this race.
My 2 cents.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 11/04/15 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
It's a great beach cat race with a legacy. Why screw with that? If you want a race that also includes big tris and adventure racers then start a new race with a new name.All the extra classes equals extra work, and I can almost guarantee that will be the death knell for this race.
My 2 cents.

The hillbilly has a point.

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 11/04/15 02:36 PM

I appreciate the thoughts and would rather see that race thrive than get choked up with all those complications.

carry on, then.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Steeplechase thoughts - 11/06/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
My 2 cents.

The hillbilly has a point.

That's dunebilly, at least make a minimal effort to be accurate.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums