Catsailor.com

Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman

Posted By: Mark Schneider

Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/11/15 06:25 AM

Geoff Becker raced Hobie 16s for several years in Div 11... He also just won the Lightning worlds...

Ryan Breymaier set the trans pac record on Lending Club.... a 104' Tri... he also plays with some big Monos (hugo boss)

Congrats and continued success!

The message we need to get through to all junior racers we come in contact with... CROSS TRAINING (dinghies and cats) is the ticket to future success!

Posted By: brucat

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/11/15 03:50 PM

Geoff was a dinghy sailor who sailed cats for a while:

http://archive.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/09/0807/

Sadly, nothing on is Rolex resume indicates any cat sailing results in the past year, is he still racing in Division 11?

Mike
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/15/15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Sadly, nothing on is Rolex resume indicates any cat sailing results in the past year, is he still racing in Division 11?

Nope. Not since he got called out for having synthetic trap "wires" on a Hobie 16 a few years ago at Rehoboth. (He's the reason there's a more specific class rule about not having them now.) Sold his boat after that and hasn't been back.
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/15/15 08:31 PM

I know Ryan still will jump on a cat when he has the chance. He also allowed several of us to get on Lending Club II when in San Francisco.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/15/15 10:17 PM

what is the reason for this rule? competitive advantage to the weight saving?
Originally Posted by mbounds

Nope. Not since he got called out for having synthetic trap "wires" on a Hobie 16 a few years ago at Rehoboth. (He's the reason there's a more specific class rule about not having them now.) Sold his boat after that and hasn't been back.

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/15/15 10:19 PM

What is the record (time)? When did he set it? is it still standing?

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Ryan Breymaier set the trans pac record on Lending Club.... a 104' Tri...

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/16/15 01:55 AM

Is "called out" equal to protested and DNE'd? Was it a weekend regatta or NAs?

Mike
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/18/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MN3

The "reason" for the rule is that the Hobie 16 is raced the way it comes from the factory (with wire trapezes). It's the SMOD concept.

It was a weekend regatta. He was not protested, because technically it was legal at the time - but it potentially violated the "Loophole Rule" (IHCA General Class Rule 4).

The long story:
Before 2014, the Hobie 16 class rule on Trapezes was:
9. TRAPEZES
A maximum of two trapeze wires are allowed on each side of the boat. Supplied wires may be shortened, lengthened and have adjustable systems installed.

Geoff took a very literal interpretation of this and "shortened" the "supplied wire" to 6 inches - and then added an 18+ foot long synthetic "adjustable system" to it. He showed the system to me before racing and I told him I didn't think it was class legal, but that I would inquire to the IHCA Rules Committee to be sure. I was racing a 17 at that event, so I didn't protest him and neither did any other competitors.

However, once the IHCA Rules Committee heard about it, they changed the rule to:
9. TRAPEZES
A maximum of two trapeze wires are allowed on each side of the boat. Trapeze wires shall be of stainless steel wire of not less than 2.38 mm diameter. The minimum length of the trapeze wire, including shackles, shall be from the bearing point on the mast tang to a point 1250 mm above the base of the mast extrusion. Adjustable systems may be attached to the trapeze wire shackled to the mast tang.

This was not the only reason Geoff left the class, but it was one of the major reasons. He wasn't as nearly laid back as most of the Hobie sailors (who he often lost to the race course).
Posted By: srm

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/18/15 05:10 PM

Posted By: mmadge

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/18/15 05:53 PM

Congratulations Geoff on your nomination.Geoff is a Class act both on and off the Water.He also contributed to the Hobie Hotline and put on a great rules Clinic for the Hobie Class.
He was also a pretty darn good Hobie 16 Sailor.Just check the results of the 2009 Hobie 16 North Americans (his first one).He didn't lose to to many Hobie Sailors at that one.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/18/15 06:25 PM

And BACK TO THE POINT....

Please promote CROSS TRAINING to all the junior sailors whose paths you cross.

Getting the feel and reactions to a cat when your brain is developing makes a huge difference... just ask Terry Hutchinson!

Cross training.... take on spreading the word!

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/18/15 06:59 PM

thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by MN3

The "reason" for the rule is that the Hobie 16 is raced the way it comes from the factory (with wire trapezes). It's the SMOD concept.

It was a weekend regatta. He was not protested, because technically it was legal at the time - but it potentially violated the "Loophole Rule" (IHCA General Class Rule 4).

The long story:
Before 2014, the Hobie 16 class rule on Trapezes was:
9. TRAPEZES
A maximum of two trapeze wires are allowed on each side of the boat. Supplied wires may be shortened, lengthened and have adjustable systems installed.

Geoff took a very literal interpretation of this and "shortened" the "supplied wire" to 6 inches - and then added an 18+ foot long synthetic "adjustable system" to it. He showed the system to me before racing and I told him I didn't think it was class legal, but that I would inquire to the IHCA Rules Committee to be sure. I was racing a 17 at that event, so I didn't protest him and neither did any other competitors.

However, once the IHCA Rules Committee heard about it, they changed the rule to:
9. TRAPEZES
A maximum of two trapeze wires are allowed on each side of the boat. Trapeze wires shall be of stainless steel wire of not less than 2.38 mm diameter. The minimum length of the trapeze wire, including shackles, shall be from the bearing point on the mast tang to a point 1250 mm above the base of the mast extrusion. Adjustable systems may be attached to the trapeze wire shackled to the mast tang.

This was not the only reason Geoff left the class, but it was one of the major reasons. He wasn't as nearly laid back as most of the Hobie sailors (who he often lost to the race course).

Re: Multihull sailors get nominated for Rolex Yachtsman - 12/20/15 03:19 AM

Thanks Matt. Sounds like there's more to the story if he left over that.

Of course, I read the loophole rule more literally than anyone and still think it was a stretch to use the grommet adding rule as justification for running a trap bungee through one. I would have preferred that go to a vote and be clarified as well.

Anyway, Mark's right, we're way off topic.

Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums