Catsailor.com

Canvas for NACRA 20 end pole spinnaker bag.

Posted By: Krisu13

Canvas for NACRA 20 end pole spinnaker bag. - 02/29/16 12:56 AM

Can someone point me in the right direction where and what canvas I could get to make NACRA 20 end pole spinnaker sock?
THX
Kris
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: Canvas for NACRA 20 end pole spinnaker bag. - 02/29/16 01:12 AM

Do you want something light and slick like nylon bag cloth, or something that will drain like Phifertex vinyl?
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: Canvas for NACRA 20 end pole spinnaker bag. - 03/01/16 06:58 PM

That depends; I have made many spinnaker socks and here are some considerations: Stiff Mylar material is the best for easy in and out but allows UV degradation if you store the spin in the sock in which case a dark color stiff dacron would be best for easy in and out. Materials made for advertising balloons work very well and are lighter but are not as stiff and will bunch more than the former choices. Nylon will bunch the most. Mesh is a bad choice as it is abrasive and "grabby" and the stiffer a material is the less likely that any water will remain inside the sock while sailing due to the pole angle. Look here for one source of materials and supplies you may need: http://www.sailrite.com/

Good luck!
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: Canvas for NACRA 20 end pole spinnaker bag. - 03/02/16 02:58 AM

Well, if you want a strong, stiff, slick, UV stable material that drains, there's always polypropylene trampoline fabric.

I made the last spinnaker sock for my Tanzer (a monohull, but the principles are the same) from an old Pentex sail because it's slick. It needs replacing but I haven't decided yet what material to use. Pentex worked, but doesn't drain. I considered Phifertex vinyl mesh, but want more protection from dirt. Trampoline fabric is an interesting option. I'm also thinking about 5oz urethane-coated nylon with a mesh strip along the bottom for drainage.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Eric
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums