Catsailor.com

Racing rules

Posted By: Hullflyer1

Racing rules - 06/01/16 12:56 PM

There is a small group of recreational cat sailors on our beach that have shown an interest in racing. Asking if there is a basic book on the rules of bouy racing. Did not want to scare them away with a very complicated version. They are all beginners
Thanks
Posted By: Jake

Re: Racing rules - 06/01/16 02:30 PM

There is a lot of stuff in that book but 95% of it doesn't pertain to the things that sailors really need to know. Part 2, pages 12 through 17, contain all of the on-the-water things that the racers need to have a decent grasp of. That's only 5 pages. Pages 18 through 22 (just four pages) cover how the races are conducted.

bah...the direct link won't work. You'll have to click "The Racing Rules of Sailing 2013-2016" from THIS PAGE

There are a lot of nuances that will take some time to discover and understand but you really can get started, quite comfortably, by taking the time to read through less than 10 pages in that book.

Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Racing rules - 06/01/16 08:16 PM

I got that "Sailors Guide to the Racing Rules" in addition to the full rule-set... But the rules they taught my kid first were:

- Sailing/racing is NOT a contact sport
- Port Tack keeps clear of Starboard Tack
- Boat astern keep clear of boat ahead
- OVERLAPPED Windward boat keeps clear of Leeward boat

Once they get comfortable with those, you can add the other stuff (mark room, starting, keep clear, overlap, etc)
Posted By: brucat

Re: Racing rules - 06/02/16 12:59 AM

What Jay said...

My personal top three rules, applies to all levels of racing:

1. Have fun.
2. Pointy end up.
3. Don't hurt your crew.

Crashing into other boats almost always breaks at least one of those.

Mike
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Racing rules - 06/02/16 02:19 AM

Here maybe this can help...

http://www.bcya.com/Misc/BasicRacingRules.pdf
Posted By: Hullflyer1

Re: Racing rules - 06/02/16 11:19 AM

To all that replied
Thank you very much for your help
Posted By: Isotope235

Re: Racing rules - 06/20/16 12:17 PM

This may be a little late, but besides the US rule book, US SAILING also publishes:
  • "Sailors Guide to the Racing rules" - a 20-page illustrated booklet that briefly covers the rules,
  • "The Rules in Brief" - a two sided laminated card summarizing the rules for when boats meet, and
  • "Race Signals" - a sticker that shows the various flags used for race signaling and their meanings.
These items (and more) are available at http://store.ussailing.org/browse.cfm/racing-rules/2,8.html

I hope that helps,
Eric
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums