Catsailor.com

Trailer Suspension

Posted By: Ventucky Red

Trailer Suspension - 06/13/16 12:27 AM

Anyone have the proper name for this system.... I am rehabbing the trailer while my boat "summers" in Santa Barbara and need to get some parts...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bacho

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/13/16 12:49 PM

Looks home made to me, not sure how that leaf spring is supposed to allow the beam to flex with no shackle or slider on it.

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/13/16 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bacho
Looks home made to me, not sure how that leaf spring is supposed to allow the beam to flex with no shackle or slider on it.

Nope not home made, made by Peek trailers.. I have seen a few of these over the years.... just a little overkill for a Prindle 18
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/13/16 04:43 PM

Weird.

If the trailer beams are a standard spacing I'd just swap a torsion axle on. "If" is a big word though sometimes.

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/13/16 06:13 PM

Its likely off the shelf parts on all of those bushings, along with that leaf spring. Some measurements should be all you need at any decent trailer parts shop.

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/13/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Weird.

If the trailer beams are a standard spacing I'd just swap a torsion axle on. "If" is a big word though sometimes.

If is the key word... which it is not...

Its likely off the shelf parts on all of those bushings, along with that leaf spring. Some measurements should be all you need at any decent trailer parts shop.

And they do.. tore into it last night and just got back from the trailer store... with the exception of the shocks everything is available.. surprisingly the bearings, races, and seals were in excellent shape considering their age, but they're getting a work over too.. The springs etc.. all in good shape, or should I say I have far worse cursing down the freeway..

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/13/16 11:24 PM

Those shocks were common on old school lifted 4x4s. I imagine Ebay could produce some, or I believe there are kits to convert Rancho 5000 series shocks over.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/14/16 05:47 PM

Those shocks were common on old school lifted 4x4s. I imagine Ebay could produce some, or I believe there are kits to convert Rancho 5000 series shocks over.

I bet those Rancheros would be really stiff shocks for what he has there (not to mention pricey). I put a set on a Nissan 4x4 I had once and the ride turned into the equivalent of a log wagon.

I'm not sure what the coilover shocks add to that suspension anyway, though...Having both the leaf spring and coil over shocks is nothing but redundancy...leaf springs provide a bit of frequency absorption through friction between leafs and don't typically use shocks (on trailers anyway). However, in that application, I presume those leaf springs only serve the purpose of a fourth link in that suspension system and keep the axle in place while the coil over shocks do most of the suspension work.

With that in mind, I would consider something like the Gabriel load carrier shocks. They have some with a variable rate spring that only starts to add relative load carrying capacity under some compression...that should be pretty good for that application. You would need to call someone and give them travel dimensions for that shock to figure out which version would fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...ing&keyword=gabriel%20load%20carrier
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/15/16 06:06 PM

what type of boat will you be carrying? This setup seems more suited for pontoon/deck boat types that are very heavy...?
Posted By: jkkartz1

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/15/16 11:42 PM

It kinda looks like a De Dion rear car suspension.

Other than boat trailer racing, do you really need an independent suspension?

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/16/16 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
what type of boat will you be carrying? This setup seems more suited for pontoon/deck boat types that are very heavy...?

Prindle 18.... it is the trailer that came with my $100 boat... I cut of the risers that held the boat... fronts we 14" and the rears were 18" as pictured... In talking to the trailer store guy the other day he was pretty versed on these things. Told me they manufacture made a one size fits all trailer

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jkkartz1
It kinda looks like a De Dion rear car suspension.

Other than boat trailer racing, do you really need an independent suspension?

I got this boat a good 200 miles from my house... there was a few times it felt like it was not even back there when towing it home,, it was pretty smooth... Boat Trailer Racing hmmmmmmmmmmm you got me thinking here!

Originally Posted by Jake

I bet those Rancheros would be really stiff shocks for what he has there (not to mention pricey). I put a set on a Nissan 4x4 I had once and the ride turned into the equivalent of a log wagon.

I'm not sure what the coilover shocks add to that suspension anyway, though...Having both the leaf spring and coil over shocks is nothing but redundancy...leaf springs provide a bit of frequency absorption through friction between leafs and don't typically use shocks (on trailers anyway). However, in that application, I presume those leaf springs only serve the purpose of a fourth link in that suspension system and keep the axle in place while the coil over shocks do most of the suspension work.

With that in mind, I would consider something like the Gabriel load carrier shocks. They have some with a variable rate spring that only starts to add relative load carrying capacity under some compression...that should be pretty good for that application. You would need to call someone and give them travel dimensions for that shock to figure out which version would fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...ing&keyword=gabriel%20load%20carrier

I don't think these are the original shocks... there is another trailer with the same set up at our storage yard... a Hobie 20 that hasn't moved in 13 years... that has some Sears $9.99 specials...

Summit Racing... they can burn a hole in your pocket pretty quick..
Posted By: Jake

Re: Trailer Suspension - 06/16/16 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ventucky Red

I don't think these are the original shocks... there is another trailer with the same set up at our storage yard... a Hobie 20 that hasn't moved in 13 years... that has some Sears $9.99 specials...

Summit Racing... they can burn a hole in your pocket pretty quick..

No, certainly not the original..I wouldn't expect that the original shocks would still be available but you never know, I suppose.

$80 isn't bad for a pair of coil over shocks that include the springs.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums