Catsailor.com

Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications

Posted By: Dr. Pitchpole

Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 09/30/16 01:32 PM

Hey there experts,

I have a dolphin post striker on my ancient H16 that is protruding up through the mast step into the cup--the threads on the mast step are likely stripped.

I know I need to replace the mast step but do not have the tools etc. to do that in tis current location. I am looking into other temporary fixes.

My current plan is to use hose clamps to fix to the dolphin striker post just below the cross bar so that it cannot move up and down (just down since the clamp will hopefully prevent it from moving up into the mast step). My questions are:

1) Does anyone know the bore or diameter of the striker post? Is it 3/4"? I need this measurement to buy the right size hose clamp.

2) Is there an epoxy that would hold the post in the mast step with sufficient strength--realize that the loads are very large? I am thinking that glue+hose clamp may just do the trick.

3) Any other ideas re temporary fixes before I bite the replacement bullet?

I know that there is someone out there who has tackled the above and who is smiling to themselves as they read--would appreciate any insights..

Thank you
Posted By: bacho

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 09/30/16 02:18 PM

The rod is 9/16"

If it was me, I would use it like it is if you must. Other than wearing your mast base, its not going to hurt much. Your rod will be "up" at rest, however the rig load will push it back down. The load should go to the DS anyways.

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 09/30/16 03:28 PM

Thank you--super helpful--have rig tight now--should work to keep post "down".

I appreciate the specs on the Dolphin Striker--9/16"-I have a clamp that will fit--probably just psychological but would be good to have it on anyway..
Posted By: srm

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 09/30/16 04:34 PM

If your dolphin striker is not securely attached to the mast step/front crossbar, you risk breaking the crossbar. I seriously doubt hose clamps and epoxy are going to do the trick. The striker and crossbar need to be one solid unit to be structurally sound. If the post is moving up and down, it means the whole crossbar is able to flex. It should be fixed correctly, not jury rigged just to get on the water.

sm
Posted By: bacho

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 09/30/16 06:37 PM

How exactly might that beam break? The beam already has arch in it. Floating DS rods are not common, but they exist. I raced on a boat with one over the weekend.

I see no point in clamps though either.

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 09/30/16 08:37 PM

Good points. To be clear it is not really floating (at least I can't see it). When we brought the mast down the dolphin striker post pushed up 1/4 inch into the mast step cup.

The clamp will prevent upward motion of the post but will not prevent downward motion. It would have to be tremendous flex for the post to go down below the bar but I suppose its possible. Likewise it is doubtful that the clamp would help much since the mast exerts considerable downward pressure when it is raised. Thought about bolting the striker in the cup but it would compromise the depth of the cup.

I agree that replacing mast step is the solution. I appreciate your thoughts on this--it has helped me see some of the holes in my DIY bubble gum and baling wire thinking..
Posted By: brucat

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 09/30/16 11:49 PM

+1 on no hose clamp. You'll never get enough tension on the little screw and stamped metal to keep it from sliding down the smooth rod surface. Can't see epoxy helping here either.

It might be possible to repair the male and/or female threads, however. Seeing as it's a H16, I'd take a hard look at what remains of the mast rotation stops on the mast base before wasting time on a repair vs. replacement.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 10/01/16 04:48 PM

Really appreciate the above advice--need to think it through--will let you know what I end up doing and how it works out..
Posted By: rattlenhum

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 10/04/16 04:37 PM

Another consideration....If you keep sailing it without the proper repair, I expect that the (SS) DS rod is going to chew up the ball of your (Al) mast base as well.
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Dolphin Striker Post Problems and Specifications - 10/27/16 05:09 AM

Remember, if disaster occurs, we want to see pictures!!!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums