Catsailor.com

We can self moderate spam during this hard time

Posted By: JeffS

We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/12/17 03:13 AM

Let's keep the spam message off our active topics page, as soon as you see spam just write something so their message is obliterated and bump up the proper threads, it's time consuming but if we all keep posting the spam gets knocked down the list

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/12/17 11:18 AM

bump
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/12/17 09:49 PM

To quote Spock: "Primitive but effective". I just did that on the F101 message string.

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/14/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Fahle
To quote Spock: "Primitive but effective". I just did that on the F101 message string.

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/15/17 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Fahle
Posted By: srm

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/15/17 12:21 PM

I can appreciate what you're trying to achieve, but how is bumping inactive threads to the top of the list better than the SPAM posts? I would argue that it's worse because when I see SPAM, I automatically know to ignore it. When I see an old post that you've bumped up, I end up wasting time opening it only to find that there's nothing new there.

sm
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/17/17 12:22 AM

With regard to this forum, eventually (probably sooner than we know) we'll need to find a plan-B.

Setting up a bulletin board / forum is not hard at all, but without admin access, trying to migrate all the posts from the many years of this forum would be nearly impossible. Anyone with any access/ideas?

I didn't know Rick very well, but I'm pretty sure he'd want the torch to get passed on to capable hands. I suggest we take the proactive step of considering this before it suddenly goes dark and we are all scattered to the wind.

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/17/17 12:30 PM

I would like to see this forum continue in respest to Rick and Mary, I know Mary and co have other more important priorities but would be good if whoever is in charge could pick a couple of long time members to moderate for a while
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/17/17 06:22 PM

I think she might be more active in Facebook, so someone may volunteer to moderate this forum?
Posted By: rehmbo

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/19/17 12:04 PM

Moderation is one thing, but someone's gonna have to pay the bills too. Fortunately, webhosting is not expensive. Problem is we don't know the billing cycle. This site could go dark next week or next year.

Not trying to be chicken little here, but I think someone close to Mary needs to ask her what she'd like to do about Catsailor.com
Posted By: tback

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/19/17 02:57 PM

Paid up thru April 2018
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/19/17 08:01 PM

Are you a moderator, too, Terry?
Posted By: tback

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/19/17 08:56 PM

No, although I've done it for other websites.
Posted By: phill

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 01/22/17 08:51 AM

Is Mary aware of the spammer at work filling up the forums?
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: We can self moderate spam during this hard time - 02/11/17 08:29 PM

...to the top.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums