Catsailor.com

Stowing stuff on board

Posted By: jwrobie

Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 01:37 AM

I really would like to be able to stow a picnic cooler on board, or sail across a lake with camping gear and set up camp, or...

You get the picture. Where do you store your stuff on a catamaran?

Jonathan
Posted By: jonr

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 03:20 AM

Store stuff. Out of the way would be best. It would depend on your boat. I had a Hobie 18sx and the wings were great for loading stuff on. I would sail out to some island off Norwalk CT. set up our site and day sail from there all day as friends would come by for ride on the wild cat. You know most non catsailor think anything over 8kt is fast. Dry bags are a must.
Posted By: RobLammerts

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 06:12 AM

Please look at http://www.magicmarine.com/ they have numerous solutions for wet and dry bags.
Posted By: jcasto1

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 06:46 AM

I had the local sailmaker sew on two large zippered pockets either side of the tramp centerline, up near front crossbar. That location seems to be Out of the way most of the time. I also sewed some straps on the tramp, between the pockets, one near front beam, one about a foot back. These straps can be tied to a small Igloo cooler, or other objects that don't fir in a pocket.
There is a bracket thing that someone sells to hold your ice chest just in front of the mast, just above dolphin striker level. And there are bags designed to fit inside the access port covers in the hulls.
Out of the way is a good description of the need. When sailing, it has to be out of your way, plus not interfere with any control lines you need to sail well/safely. Centering the extra weight on the boat can also minimize the negative performance impact.
Posted By: spinakerjohn

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 03:14 PM

We stuffed the hulls with dry bags like the Sealline 15 liter bag. Fits in a Hobie 18 port and left the deck clean. Clear plastic dry bags snag inside the hulls and leak. We tied 48 qt ice chests at the front cross bar but hard to work the jib. Several softsided ice chests work better. Use one for 1st day and another for the 2nd day. The 2nd chest can be wrapped with a cheap space blanket.
Posted By: catman

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 03:50 PM

The best way I found to carry the stuff was to make a simple front tramp. When I camped with a wife and two girls we would carry quite a bit of stuff on my TheMightyHobie18 mag.

I found a mesh tramp half then went the Depot and bought 2 lenghts 1.5" alum. tubing. 1 - 2in. alum. angle. I took the tubing and using a spare tire mounted on my trailer, tweaked the 2 pieces of tubing until it matched the contour of the main beam. Then I cut 4 pieces of the alum. angle about 1 foot long taped them to the inside of the hulls on the shear at about where the tramp would be. Then trimed the ends of the tubing until it would butt up against the inside of the angle. Took the boat to a welder and had him weld the tubing to the angle. I then carpeted the inside of the angle to protect the boat from scratching. The tramp already had grommets along one edge. That was laced to the front to the front tube. I added about 6 grommets to each side and ran large shockcord with plastic hooks attached. The hooks attach to the outside of the shear pulling the sides tight. The rear tube was tied in three places,ends and center to the main beam. I added gromments to the rear of the tramp and laced it to the rear tube. At the front I replaced the the clevis pins at the bridles with shackles. I then ran a continuous line from the center of the front tube to a shackle back to the tube then to the other shackle. I used a clam cleat in-line to tension the whole thing. It very light and takes about 5 min. to rig or remove. We would stack the dry bags and coolers on it leaving the tramp mostly empty. My daughter could lay on it and it supported her. In fact I left it on all the time. I'll see if I can find a pic.

I'm starting to work on one for my M6.0. Its going to be similar to one I saw on the ARC 30.

Mike

Posted By: Todd_Sails

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 03:57 PM

On my Nacra 6.0, (same as 5.8's etc.), I use a soft sided, well insulated cooler sold commercially.

I tie it to the Over-rotator traingular shaped bar that's on the front of the bottom of the mast!

Always out of the way completely, EASY to get to while underway, [color:"yellow"] [/color] without altering your boat trim by going aft to get in those ispec. port holes.

If you're lashing things down, of course take into accout things such ease of getting to sheets and rigging, boat trim, etc.
Posted By: jcasto1

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 04:00 PM

Yes, please post picture(s). I especially like the removable aspect of your concept.
Posted By: Vladimir

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 06:09 PM

The best drybags for storing staff on the tramp are made by
Stearns AmphibiGear IMHO.
http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=22380
http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=22384
They are expencive, but tougth and have wide round solid opening with "screw-in" caps similar to the hatch caps.
Very easy to open/close underway and watertight. Bags can be inflated and used as additional flotation, backrest or racing mark.
I got two (square ones) last year, and made over 1000 miles of coastal trips this year. Never regretted spending $120 on the bags
Vladimir
Posted By: thouse

Stuff is half the issue - safety is the other!!! - 10/31/02 06:44 PM

I periodically join a group that organizes seasonal sailing and camping on an Island that's about 30 some-odd miles off the Southern California coast, (i.e., Catalina Island.)

Some of the old "salts" point out that keeping stuff dry and on the tramp is only half the issue; especially in an unexpected capsize. In that case, the extra weight, tied to the tramp or carried inside the hull(s) can make self-righting the boat very difficult or impossible.

These experienced off-shore beach cat sailors give some sound advice:

1. Understand that the extra weight will likely rest between your mast head and the supporting hull when you are capsized. This, of course, puts lots more weight, just where you don't want it when trying to right the boat. The stuff, it's placement when capsized and its weight may even be sufficient to cause the boat to turtle.

2. Load the boat with all the stuff you intend to carry and configured as you intend to configure, place and secure it. Then capsize the boat where you can get help or help yourself, then see if you can right the boat....BEFORE you venture far from help.... "fore-warned is fore-armed."

3. If you can't right the boat, with all the stuff loaded as you intend.... (or even if you can) ensure each piece of gear, stowed in its water proof container floats....or put it with some gear that does float in its container (dry bag, cooler, etc.) Then tie a lanyard to each container containing gear. Each lanyard is about ten feet long and has one end tied to a gear container and the other end of the lanyard is secured to the boat.

The lanyards are stowed under or tied to the container they each service.

The purpose of the lanyards are so you can jettison the gear if you can't right the boat, and still have the gear floating and attached to the boat.

Once the boat is back on its feet, one simply pulls the lanyards to retrieve the gear and the gear is again tied back onto the tramp.

This is some pretty good advice, born out the experience of others.

Just some thoughts....

Tom H.

One more thing.... - 10/31/02 06:52 PM

Sorry, but I forgot to add one of their other tips....

When you are expereimenting with righting the loads cat, if you have trouble righting the boat.... you may consider tying a second and shorter lanyard to each container. This second lanyard is short enough so it suspends the gear, above the water, if the gear is jettisoned over the elevated hull of the capsized boat.

The configuration actually adds some wight to help right the boat, if you need it.

Best regards,

Tom H.
Posted By: dannyb9

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 10/31/02 06:54 PM

i use duffel bags with drybags stuffed inside and a soft cooler. i read a post on the h16 thread about a guy who rigged a ladder-like system from pvc, mounted fore and aft on the centerline, attached to the dolphin striker and extending forward to just forward of the forestay bridle, suspended just below the bridle. he had bungees attached to the front of the ladder and each bow bridle fitting to stabilize it side to side. he lashed 2 48 qt coolers on it side by side close to the mast and drybags in front of that, i think its a great idea and plan to try something similar for my next extended trip.

One more thing...!!!! - 10/31/02 06:54 PM

Sorry, but I forgot to add one of their other tips....

When you are expereimenting with righting the loads cat, if you have trouble righting the boat.... you may consider tying a second and shorter lanyard to each container. This second lanyard is short enough so it suspends the gear, above the water, if the gear is jettisoned over the elevated hull of the capsized boat.

The configuration actually adds some wight to help right the boat, if you need it.

Best regards,

Tom H.
Posted By: samevans

You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/01/02 12:20 AM

If you are talking about camping gear and supplies why don't you just TOW the stuff?
You could use a kayak, a small dinghy or an inflatable.
It would give you something else to do if the wind died.
They make something called a Hydro Trailer which is designed for high speed towing behind a PWC.
Actually, you take a PWC and throw out the motor and pump and turn it into a usefull trailer :-)
Posted By: jwrobie

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/01/02 05:15 PM

Does towing slow you down more than putting stuff on board? How does it affect the handling of the boat?

Jonathan
Posted By: Greg

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/01/02 10:16 PM

When I have towed exhausted novice wind surfers I found it very difficult to tack upwind with my Hobie 16. Just as I would start to repower after tacking the towline would pull me into irons frequently. It turned out to be much more efficient to just throw the guy's board across my hulls up forward.
Greg
H14, H16
Posted By: samevans

Re: Camping and/or touring - 11/01/02 10:17 PM

It depends on the boat, how much gear(weight), how many people(weight), and water conditions.
You could load a Nacra 6.0 with 100-200lbs of extra gear and it's handling would suffer a little. Put 200lbs of extra gear on a Hobie 16 and it becomes a slug.
Towing is also detrimental to boat handling. There is no free lunch.
Posted By: Ed Norris

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/02/02 12:23 AM

Just an idea...how a towed load could maybe help you tack...

Tie on an extra piece of line, from maybe 10 feet astern on the towline, long enough to reach to the mast, with 4 feet left over.Do not thread this loose line between the tiller bars. Let it lie on top of the slave bar, and tie the very end of this line to the mast. The regular towline is tied to your rear beam, and since there's slack in your "extra line", your towline is taking the load.

Now when you tack, you just take the 'extra line" with you to the old windward aft corner, and camp out there, as in a standard roll tack. A little pull on the 'extra line, from over there, and you'll help your boat bear off. It's a lot to manage, solo, though.

A neater implementation would use two 'extra lines', tied to the shroud adjusters, each loose enough not to go tight when you use the other.

Or how 'bout this? much simpler, and automatic, too.

Tie two tow lines, equal length. route each one through a turning block as far outboard as possible on your rear crossbeam. (You should in many cases be able to just tie a couple on.) The inwale should be okay, the Gunwale would be better. Then tie the ends of the towlines to the slave bar, right next to the tiller mount, If they slip, take 'em right across to the opposite tiller bar. Now when you throw the rudders hard over, i.e. to turn to starboard, you'll shorten the starboard line by a foot and lengthen the port one. By varying the distance behind your boat you set up in the first place, you can amplify the effect until it's not upsetting ordinary sailing, but assists you to come about. With a couple extra turning blocks,(tied to each tiller bar) you could increase the action 1:2, (by taking the ends of the towlines through the new blocks and back to their own side, tying them off near the first set of blocks, at the inwale or gunwale.) for a 2 foot increase and a 2 foot decrease on the other side, and all this without touching a thing while underway.

A four foot differential in the towlines' lengths will put the load firmly on the old windward hull during the tack, so long as you re-set and harden up your jib BEFORE you straighten the rudders, all should be well.

Way, way cool, no?

Waddya think?
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 11/02/02 01:49 AM

That is a cool bag, Vladimir! Do you think that you could jam a sleeping bag in there, through that small hole and then still have enough room for some clothes and food?

I carry a foward cargo tramp when I cruise. I am part of the group in CA, that Tom House mentioned. The Mystere 6.0 has so much buoyancy and freeboard that a cargo tramp ahead of the cross bar works well.

The way I built mine is basically a triangle of nylong netting wihta 3/4" nylon webbing border. The webbing extends at each of the three corners.

One side of the trianlge runs just ahead of the front cross bar. It is stretced taught by the extensions at each corner. They tie to the pad eyes that are riveted on the cross bar for the barber hauler blocks. There is a piece of webbing at teh center with a buckle that snaps around the mast base. This could just as easily be rope, rather than webbing with a buckle.

The third corner extneds forward and has a loop that goes up and arond the spinnaker pole, near the forestay. That corner's extension has a 1/8" rope attached that runs all the way forward to the end of the spin pole and is drawn tight there.

About 18" ahead of the front cross bar, is a 3/4" carbon tube that lays on top of the decks and is sewn to the tramp. This tubing is the lower part of a graphite surf casting fishing pole. Each end of it has some rubber hose covering it to keep it from scratching the decks.

Where the fishing pole crosses under the spin pole, there is another webbing with buckle that attahces there too.

I carry to watertight bags (wall mart $20 -$30) and I have a rip cord system that allows the bags to be released by yanking on a light line that dangles in the water when sailing, hangs from the center of the cargo tramp to the wetted hull when (no, IF) capsized.

Here is how I did the rip cord deal. In the center of the tramp I sewed in some webbing to reinforce the skimpy netting. Inot this webbing I pressed in, two grommets, one per cargo bag.

I have a webbing strap for each bag that has an adjustable buckle, such as a car seat belt. The strap is fastened two places, both on the outboard side of the cargo bag. The center of the strap passes through a loop of bungie. This bungie loop is folded and pushed down though the grommet.

On the bottom side of the tramp, a piece of batten is passed through the loop of bungie and prevents the bungie from raising up through the grommet, unless this batten or rip cord pin is yanked. Finally, one string (bright pink dynema) is tied to both rip cord pins and the rip cord is long enough to reach the wetted hull when the boat is on her side.

Picture attached.
GARY

Attached picture 12567-sci7-3.jpg

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/02/02 03:47 PM

Thanks Ed,
Neat solutions. My thoughts are that your first solution will definitely work, but I am not so sure of your second trick. I suspect the drag on the rear would inhibit forward progress and cause you to weathervane back into the wind. I may not be thinking straight about this.
Greg
H14, H16

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/02/02 06:40 PM

Every case of a catamaran trying to tow his supplies that I have heard of has ended in either catastrophic failure or having to move the trailed load onto the catamaran before continuing.

GARY
Posted By: Ed Norris

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/02/02 07:09 PM

You may be right Greg. What if we took those two towlines through turning blocks on the shrouds, then back to the back beams, then across to the opposite tiller bar and finally back across to tie off and backbeam ends. Now the load during tacking is on the shrouds, but the unloaded towline will probably foul the old leeward rudder... hm... I think the beam ends or the gunwale at the transom is as good as it gets.
Posted By: MaryAWells

Another idea! - 11/02/02 07:14 PM

Why don't you get a trawler to carry all your gear and tow your sailboat behind it?

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 11/03/02 01:26 AM

>Do you think that you could jam a sleeping bag in there, through that small hole and then still have enough room for some clothes and food?

Yep. Round hole 8' in diameter isn't a small one
I sailed solo a small home-rebuild Russian-made catamaran(Hobie Wave dimension and perfomance-alike) on three weeklong trips, one from Manistee, Lake Michigan to Alpena, Lake Huron, one from Tampa to Everglades, Fl, and another one along Maine East Coast this year. I had two bags next to front corners of a trampoline. In one I store sleeping bag, all my clothing and tent (I use tarp-over-the-boom setup)
all my food, flashlights, stove, pot, first aid kit, drysuit when not in use, camera goes into second bag. I pack light thougth
I can right my catamaran fully loaded, I have "Bob" on top of the mast. And I have set up and used oars for windless days - Oops, I shouldn't say this

Vladimir
"The Ugly Duckling" Russian catamaran,
Unicorn old wooden A-cat

Attached picture 12590-Duckling.jpg

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 11/03/02 06:41 AM

That is most impressive, Vladimir. I especially respect the fact that you are able to right the boat, even while it is loaded.

Yes, 8" is a pretty large hole. For some reason I was picturing a 6" opening. Those bags are really neat and I must go check them out!

I have been using the Tex-Sport brand waterproof bags. If you have seen them, can you comment on the comparison of the durability of the canvas used in yours and in the Tex-Sport? I have noticed small spots on my bags, where they often bend and fold on the same line, are beginning to loose their rubber coating and beginning to leak a drop or two of water at these spots.

What I really like about those bags you have is that they have flat bottoms. This would be much more stable while underway.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences in these catamaran camping trips. Some questions that come to mind, follow:

What is your choice of stove?
What hot foods do you find work out best for you?
Are you able to look into the bag opening and then grab what you need; or do you have to dump out all the bag's contents and then repack it each time you need an item from inside?
Do you ever have a problem with rain or dew?
Do you lay a tarp down on the tramp or are you able to place your sleeping bag right on the tramp? (mine would never be dry enough)

By the way, I understand the advantage of the float BoB! I recently did some capsize righting lessons on a boat that had one. Just make sure it won't leak and take on water because they can get very very heavy. The buoyancy that they provide is a great safety measure!

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 11/03/02 02:43 PM

Vladimir,
You mentioned tarp over boom. Did you have no problem with mosquitos?
Greg
H14, 16

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 11/04/02 07:37 AM

>I especially respect the fact that you are able to right the boat, even while it is loaded.

My cruising boat is light. It's 160 lbs only. It's collapsible boat with inflatable hulls. Sounds strange isn't? It's not a fast boat, but I can take it on airplane in bags, take a taxi to nearest boat ramp, sail all week long, get out at a town, walk to car rental and get back to airport. Once I been feeding my boat INSIDE of Ford Escort I didn't try it since 9-11, can be a hassle now. "What is inside of your bags, sir?" "Don't worry, it's a sailboat"

Since it's so light, I can drag it on shore. And I don't care about hitting rocks, boat will bounce back,it's inflatable. It performs OK, I've been sailing it with Hobie Waves equally. Also I've taken it in really rough conditions( jib furler and three reef points on the main) I love speed trill and performance of my second boat, A-cat, but I will never take it out of protected bay and sight of land.
I'll try to attach some pictures of the boat now

I started as a kayaker, then kayak sailor, then I got my inflatable, and, recently, A-cat. I've done a lot of cruising in small boats and used different brands and types of drybags. Those drybags superior to any design I used before. Fabric is thick, more like inflatable boat fabric. Unless bag is fully packed, you can open and search for things inside without repacking. On the down side - bags are heavy, and lid's rubber O-ring got loose on one bag, it's staying in place, but I have to watch it for watertight closing

> What is your choice of stove?

It wasn't my choice - I got two Coleman Apex II stoves http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=6934803&prmenbr=226
as a birthday's gifts. I like it but my choice would be Coleman Exponent Multi Fuel Stove
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=8169782&prmenbr=226
It has less parts

>What hot foods do you find work out best for you?

I'm not picky about food. For hot meal I use instant soups and oatmeals. I carry a telescopic fishing rod with me, It folds to 18 inches for storing and have no problem to catch a fish or two for supper. Usually I don't take a pan, but always take a yard of aluminum foil. I grow up in Russia and I know eatable mushrooms and plants, and use them for food. For meat I use dried smoked sausages and jerky
On my recent trip to Michigan I discovered the best jerky I've ever eaten.
http://www.dublinstore.com
I will order some more for my next trip

>Do you ever have a problem with rain or dew?

Congestion is always a problem on the water. I usually sail in drysuit. And I use brands of clothing designed for outdoor, ones which dry fast

>Do you lay a tarp down on the tramp or are you able to place your sleeping bag right on the tramp? (mine would never be dry enough)

Until recently I just lay my sleeping bag on the tramp and used mosquito net http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=73077&cgmenbr=226, attached to the boom, under tarp
I bought camping hammock this summer http://www.lawsonhammock.com/brch.html and I liked it very much. It can be set up on the tramp as enclosed tent or hang between trees...

Sail safe
Vladimir
Russian inflatable cat;
wooden A-cat

Posted By: dannyb9

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/04/02 03:41 PM

we towed a rec kayak loaded with gear, we kept it tethered close to the rear crossbeam, actually lifting the bow of the yak slightly. handling, tacking, was fine . when the wind picked up we felt like we were being slowed too much, kindalike being on a mono...aarghh!

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/04/02 04:14 PM

I agree. I would only tow in an emergency.

Greg
H14,H16

Re: Stowing stuff on board - 11/04/02 05:08 PM

Vladimir,

What a great posting you have presented here! I'm sure there are many people who have appreciated it as much as I have. One can learn a lot from your knowlege and experience!

The stove is tempting.

The Jerky is priced about half of what you normally have to pay for cheap jerky and far lower priced than what I have personally seen in a similar store which specializes in jerky. $20-$40 per pound is not unusual. Your find of $10/pound jerky is great.

The hammock tent looks very interesting and I will have to go see one in person sometime. Looks to be a very good choice for all different purpose camping. Great inovation there!

I've seen picutres of the inflateable Russian catamarans and have wondered about them. I sincerely appreciated your posting and comments on this boat. I think your posts are a great testiment to its usefullness and versatility. Wow, fly and rent a car with your boat in tow? That's fantastic!

Tell us more about other places you intend to visit with your camping catamaran. You could be starting a new fad. You know how big kayak fishing has become; at one time there was only one guy doing it! You may just be one of the first of thousands.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience! I'd like to invite you to visit here in Los Angeles where you can probably sail your inflateable to Catalina Island. I'll let you be the judge of that; you can crew on my Mystere if that sounds like a beter ride.

Hope to see you on the water some time.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: catman

Re: You don't have to carry supplies ON the boat. - 11/04/02 10:49 PM

I'm still trying to find a pic. of my tramp. I have towed a kayak and as long as the water is flat I had no problem. When the waves start,water gets into the yak and you know what happens next. The opening needs to be covered to keep the water out. As far as tacking goes, I've tried a bridle with a block and a couple other things. I found the best way was to tie it near the center up close and use the wake the boat produces to stabilize the yak and if you get it on the right part of the stern wave the yak is almost surfing which reduces drag and makes tacking easier. The type of yak or how well it tracks can make a big difference in how you tow.

The nice thing about towing the yak is you have one more toy to play with when the wind dies.

Mike Catley

Towing a kayak behind a cat can be a problem - 11/05/02 02:49 AM

Here is one example of what can happen when you try to tow another small craft with your cat. See this url:
http://tinyurl.com/2ftd
GARY
Date: Tue Sep 3, 2002 3:21 pm
Subject: Rough time on TheMightyHobie18 going solo to Catalina

I met Brad at the boatyard and asked him to put his story in print so
that I could post it. I don't think that he has found the time to
subscribe to our group yet. So here is his story:

Gary you asked me to write a story about my trip. Do what you like with
it (edit or re-word if you like). I hope your readers learn something,
like I did.

Friday August 27 ,2002 I was preparing for a catalina trip. This will
be the third attempt. on my previous attempts failure has always been to
scheduling or some other non sail related problem. Well this trip was no
different my crewman canceled on me. I've decided to go it solo, leave
on Saturday morning and come home on Monday. Explaining my trip to Gary
Friesen and taking some sailing tips I feel confident. Gary invites me
for afternoon sail on his boat, what a wonderful experience.

Saturday August 28, 2002 8:00 am. I'm adding the last of the camping
gear and food. Partly cloudy. warm. visibility 5 miles, "note to myself
humid and high cirrusclouds" very light winds. All looks good.

9:30 am CAST OFF.. all fine. I decided to tow my one man outrigger
canoe (similar to a surf ski). to do some up close exploration of the
island. Very slow going in the harbor.

10:30 am Finally The harbor mouth. Heading 180. light winds but
building.

12:00 noon Approx. 3-4 miles off the Pt. Vicente lighthouse. Winds
now 10-15. Seas 1 - 3 ft. One last check of my equipment. A small pod of
Dolphins show up to say hello. Beautiful. onto the final leg.

2:00 pm Approx. 5-6 miles from Santa Catalina Winds 15-20 Seas 2- 4
ft and very short. Time for the wet suit. Now things get interesting.
Driving down wind coming up behind a wave the cargo tramp acted just
like a reverse hydo foil pushing both bows completely under approx. 1 ft
of green water over the tramp. At this point i have to re- stow most of
my gear since the cargo net is broken. Ihave lost my food and my
extra-dry clothes. Ten minutes later a wave hits the outrigger canoe the
canoe nosedives the tow line goes taught and "BAMM" the cross member the
canoe snaps in the process peeling the fiberglass off the forward
section of the canoe. So at this point I decide to try to tack up wind
to get a good line on trying to pick up the canoe. WRONG as i tacked the
the clew of the main sail came un attached from the boom. Seas still
building. I immediately furled the jib and pulled up the rudders. The
sail was hard over against the shrouds. I leaned some how without
falling off the boat and grabbed the bottom batten of the sail and just
started pulling. small cut on hand after a few minutes seemed like an
eternity managed to get the boat in irons. grabbed the boom and
miraculously on the first time re-pinned the main. huge breath of air.

3:30 pm Approx. 2-3 miles from the island closer to the North End. Wind
25+ Seas 5-6 ft. very short and steep. Decide that turning back and
heading home was more prudent than trying to fine shelter on the island
minus dry gear. Course 000 due north "home". The next hour i had my
hands full. White caps breaking completely across hulls and tramp. Wind
is picking up water making very difficult to see. the wind was coming
underneath the tramp blowing it up at times. That got my attention. The
boat was hitting the swells so hard i thought it was going to break. the
hulls were make the most awful sounds of stress.

5:00 pm approx. 5 miles offshore from Redondo Beach. Winds 10-15
dropping quickly. Seas 2-4 ft. The cold sets in. no dry gear no food and
now no sun. Sea sick. The dolphins show up to guide me home. a small
pod of dolphin stayed with me for at least an hour. I felt much better.
Now feeling confident I would make it home.

9:00 pm "safe" Marina del Rey. had to paddle the boat the 1/4 mile in
the harbor no wind.

11:00 pm I called the Sheriff to inform them that I had lost my
canoe at sea. Just in case somebody found it they wouldn't think that
there was a person attached to it. They didn't care not even asked me my
name.

I hope my experience will maybe keep somebody out of trouble. I think to
my self, what did i learn. 1. forward cargo nets are a bad idea in seas
the added weight almost pichpoled me. 2. Never tow anything. It not only
slows you down. increases the possibility of things going wrong. In
addition makes it very difficult to tack. 3. Have some sort of locking
pin for the clew of the main sail a quick pin is not sufficient. 4.
Don't panic.

I have been around the water my entire life. Competitive surfing, member
of world class outrigger canoe team, ex U.S. Coast Guard stationed at
Channel Island Harbor and The Point Bridge. I have been Hobie sailing
only for about 3 years but I go year around and usually more than twice
a week. If anybody has any input. I am willing to learn

Re: Towing a kayak behind a cat can be a problem - 11/05/02 11:13 AM

Gary!
Thanks for warm words your find for me!
I think about beach catamaran as a perfect coastal cruising boat. And I enjoyed your story at "On the wire" magazine. Cruising can be as much joy as racing.
Another product I didn't mention on my previous post is inflatable rollers such as made by http://www.praktek.com/ Using them anyone can roll heavy boat up a shore

Reading the story about ordeal you friend had, I wonder how important to be prepared for worst. I always curry survival kit on the back of my life jacket. Here is a great article from Watertribe site about how to make and use one.
http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/Challenge/ArticleWhenGodsPlay.asp

I have a few packs of "Body Warmer" or "Heat Packs", chemical stuff - it gets warm with contact with air and hold temperature for 6-8 hrs http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1027&prmenbr=226 and drop it inside of my drysuit when getting hypotermic

Hope to see you on the water
Vlad

Cargo Trampoline - 04/09/04 04:11 AM

I have built the third or forth generation of my cargo tramp and have posted pictures. I am not proud of the pictures, but I am looking forward to using the new design. I hope it helps others who are considering trying the same kind of thing.Cargo Trampoline Pictures [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dan_Wash

Re: Cargo Trampoline - 06/23/04 07:11 PM

I live in the UK - well actually I don't I live in the other channel Islands - in the English Channel - a crown protectorate rather than a country or part of the UK - long story - war with the French - invasion in 1066 - French revolution and here we are 14 miles from the french caost and part of Great Britain. Odd

Anyway the ideas here are great and I'm ging to set to building a cargo trmap for my Dart 20 - it doesn't have a genny pole so i wondered if anyone had any thoughts about what I could use instead - I thought of jack stay / cargo webbing really taught - or PVC pole - or an old carbon canoe paddle ?

Cheers
Dan

Dart 20 - 'Wildthing'

Re: Cargo Trampoline - 06/23/04 08:41 PM

Dan,

My previous edition used the decks, rather than the spinnaker pole, for vertical support. Here is a not so good picture:
cargo tramp
and here is another:
Whisk on the rock beach

The trampoline was a trapezoid shape; a rectangle would be fine also. The back of the cargo tramp was supported by the front cross bar and the front of the cargo tramp was supported by a carbon fiber fishing pole base section. The carbon pole spanned the decks and was wraped with rubber hose to protect the decks from scratching.

The forward pole was held in tension with low stretch line that ran forward and attached to the fore stay bridle wire tangs. I did use some support on the center of the pole, up to the spinnaker pole. But I think that you could run a line from the forward pole center, up to the top of the fore stay bridle. This line would not be needed if the forward tramp pole was rigid enough to suspend the cargo load without much flexing.

GARY

Re: Cargo Trampoline - 06/27/04 06:40 PM

Thanks alot - I'll get building and mail some pictures - anyone got any ideas what to do for wheels when we get to France. There are now 4 boats in our flotilla !

Dan

Re: Cargo Trampoline - 11/04/04 06:32 PM

I have had a great season with my Dart 20' , but have decided that I'm going onto the next level !!
I'm going to swop it for a nacra 5.8 (better weather capabilty) , it's always nice to be able to see the leewrd hull.... anyhoo , I'm going to make a box to straddle the fwd spar , like a hobie 21sc , and make some lockers in the hulls with water tight hatches, i'm also going to stow a small (2.5hp) ouboard in the box for when the wind dies - very nearly ended up in France a few weeks back.....
Dan
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums