Catsailor.com

Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go?

Posted By: northsea junkie

Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/26/18 08:22 AM

Timbo, giving you a separate thread by Damon was not succesfull. So here is new shot.

I am pondering about the same question already some time. The atmosfere, the mood in this forum hase changed since Rick died.

What I personally really miss is the fun that everybody used to have with their writings. There were sometimes master pieces, eloquent, sharp, entertaining.

I remember me for instance a long lasting fight between (I think) Team Catfever and Todd . Especially the first one was able to express his hate in pure literature.
Yes it was harsh, but it all built a bar-like atmosphere where sailors could relax and talk about their beloved sport.
Members were coming home after work and first started up the forum to see if there was something interesting.

And yes I know that I'm going with this against Damon's wishes. But there was always a difference between the Beachcats forum and this forum.
Posted By: catman

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/26/18 11:12 PM

It's not really that complicated.

I blame the past skipper of this forum.

This forum is like a boat at sea. Any experienced skipper will set some ground rules that are not to be broken. Two of those are, no politics and no religion. Those topics can divide a crew and destroy it's moral like nothing else.

Myself along with others asked Rick to move the politics to another part of the forum. I'm not going to speculate as to why he didn't. However, it was a mistake not to do so.

Now if you want some entertainment, go back through some of that crap. You get to see how much some of you really knew or didn't.
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/27/18 09:00 AM

Well catman, taking into account your 16 year on Ricks forum with 1.656 posts you really must have suffered by all the attacks on your sensitive nature.
You call it crap and there by insulting back your co-members on this forum.

Your parable about "this forum is like a boat at sea", explains and defines the poor universum where you live in.
Okay for you, but Rick was openly more inspired by Sailing Anarchy. I suggest you read their introduction statement.

My guess for the average (!) profile of the members of this cat-forum is: white, not poor, 75% republican, cock type (no chicken), definite opinion, well spoken, love the sailing on the water, love the decisions you have to make on the water, etc
So, they need no protection for their sensitive souls.

I don't know your age catman, but I would say: grow up man.
Posted By: catman

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/27/18 01:35 PM

If you don't want to hear the answers, don't ask the question.You make my point with your nonsense.
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/27/18 07:10 PM

Catman, but I really do want to hear the answers on my question. It's a pity that you were not clear enough in your first reaction.

I now have to assume that you have withdrawn yourself in the past as active poster because of your idle complaint to Rick.(?)
Problem is that I've never seen a post or topic from you regarding this matter. So, there still remains the colour that you are kicking back to a deceased moderator.

It's obvious that I was not looking for your kind of member but for the old gang of multi posters.

Nevertheless I'm happy for you that you are finally again more at home in this renewed forum.
In the forums head there is a statement that every Bull Sh.t must be placed in a separate corner of the forum.

Which is not only devaluating posts but also is putting posts in ward. Maybe this is the reason why some of the old guys left.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/29/18 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by catman
It's not really that complicated.

I blame the past skipper of this forum.

This forum is like a boat at sea. Any experienced skipper will set some ground rules that are not to be broken. Two of those are, no politics and no religion. Those topics can divide a crew and destroy it's moral like nothing else.

Myself along with others asked Rick to move the politics to another part of the forum. I'm not going to speculate as to why he didn't. However, it was a mistake not to do so.

Now if you want some entertainment, go back through some of that crap. You get to see how much some of you really knew or didn't.




completely agree. The politics started the downfall of this forum. I too asked for them to be removed. Insults went way too far on this forum and affected relationships of real people. That kind of relentless (pointless) anger and frustration will never result in anything positive.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/29/18 03:33 PM

While I don't personally see this forum as an outreach platform to new sailors (who might get overwhelmed/lost in the banter) or youth (who barely know what a web forum is, as they're on more instant social-media outlets), I wasn't quite onboard with Rick/Mary's "everything goes" mentality.

Yes, some of the vitriolic banter was almost poetic in its form and beauty. It is a joy to re-read some of that eloquence. Some of Ding / Todd's love-fest, Tads unique perspectives, and who can forget the unholy alliance of PHRF numbers.

But most was just drivel and deserves its own little space on the forum where I can choose to indulge (or not) without it impeding my search for information and or other dialogue.

Saving time by segregating the political / religious info helped me zero in on pertinent information on:
- therapy designed to reduce hand/wrist/shoulder damage
- boat maintenance and what to look for in used boat purchase
- who's going to which regatta
- why Jake can't drink real German beer
- wouter (enough said)
- Why Hiram's won't have a sailor's halloween costume contest again...... ever
- the potential for running another Hogsbreath/steeplechase
- interesting designs for a singlehander 14' cat
- Matt's wonderful grounding on his F16 (on video) at Hiram's
- foiling... good,bad,ugly
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 08:55 AM

Thank you Jay and Jake, for joining this thread.

Jay, it strikes me that you remember so well the highlights of the "non sailing contributions" in the previous years. I have the same by the way.

With regard to religion, I remember me only one occasion 3-4 years ago (accidental in my thread) when I was nearly drowned on Christmas Eve. A fellow countryman Dennisme, who is a pastor,hitched in with some religious talk. Well just fine by me and nobody reacted, so...
With regard to political posts, yes there were plenty, they never irritated me. Its no coincidence that both religion and politics are infact believes that people embrace for their own interest.
Or socalled public interest, or spiritual interest (which all also comes down to own interest).

Anyway its all human. Like the big addiction we all in the forum have for catsailing.

This thread learned me that I'm probably the only one who is irritated by the guardianship of the new moderator.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 04:19 PM

I took a hiatus because of the ads. Not because I don't want this place to make money, but because there were some extremely inappropriate ads being displayed. My kids (7 and 11) use this phone and my PC, and I don't need them to be seeing some of the stuff that came up.

I'm willing to give it another shot, but not for long if that problem returns.

Mike

Edit: I'm also on record years ago about my distaste for the foul language and general SA-ization of this forum in recent years. I think that Mary used to be the better of the two with scrubbing the forum of that stuff, or at least people acted better when they thought she was.
Posted By: Damon Linkous

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
I took a hiatus because of the ads. Not because I don't want this place to make money, but because there were some extremely inappropriate ads being displayed. My kids (7 and 11) use this phone and my PC, and I don't need them to be seeing some of the stuff that came up.


Mike,

That is concerning, is this a recent problem (last six months?).

All the ads running on Catsailor are supplied by the Google Adwords program. There shouldn't be any NSFW type ads at all. The ads Google serves to a particular browser session depend on the context of the page and the browsing habits of the visitor.

I mostly see ads for software, shopping, and outdoor stuff.

There are no popups, pop-overs, pop-unders or anything like that running on the site, so if anyone sees anything like that it is probably a problem (malware) with your computer/browser.

If you do spot an ad that you don't like for any reason, look at the top right of the ad and there is a little X or the AdChoices symbol, if you click carefully on that you get the choice to report the ad.

Hope that helps and welcome back.
Posted By: Damon Linkous

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 05:33 PM

Would love to replace all the generic Google ads with specific ads from Catamaran Sailing related companies if anyone has contacts.
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 05:59 PM

Walmart ads are showing right now, which I have no issue with, but in the past I have had a lot of the Russian (or insert any foreign ethnicity) brides. I assume it was because of my gender/age since I don't browse those sites. The photos in the ads were not porn by any means but were pretty... uh... provocative.

Edit: Now there is an ad for my ISP... much better.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Damon Linkous
Originally Posted by brucat
I took a hiatus because of the ads. Not because I don't want this place to make money, but because there were some extremely inappropriate ads being displayed. My kids (7 and 11) use this phone and my PC, and I don't need them to be seeing some of the stuff that came up.


Mike,

That is concerning, is this a recent problem (last six months?).

All the ads running on Catsailor are supplied by the Google Adwords program. There shouldn't be any NSFW type ads at all. The ads Google serves to a particular browser session depend on the context of the page and the browsing habits of the visitor.

I mostly see ads for software, shopping, and outdoor stuff.

There are no popups, pop-overs, pop-unders or anything like that running on the site, so if anyone sees anything like that it is probably a problem (malware) with your computer/browser.

If you do spot an ad that you don't like for any reason, look at the top right of the ad and there is a little X or the AdChoices symbol, if you click carefully on that you get the choice to report the ad.

Hope that helps and welcome back.



It was within the last six months. Regardless of what Google tells you, it has nothing to do with browsing habits. Yes, I see stuff come up related to browsing (boat stuff, house stuff, tractor stuff), but I'm married with kids, and have never searched for an Oriental (or any other) wife, which was actually the tamer of the options.

The final straw was a cruise company, I won't repeat the details. I've never been on a cruise, and have never searched for one, whether normal or this "special" one.

I'm not clicking on any tiny little arrow or X to make these go away. One fat finger, and I'll be taken to those sites.

Mike
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by brucat


Regardless of what Google tells you, it has nothing to do with browsing habits.

Mike


Mike I can help you with that. I had the same problem with Google already years ago. The solution seems simple but needs stamina:

get rid of Google. Try to start up your system with Microsofts Edge and Bing as the search engine. I must warn you, Google will start nagging you to force you to undo.

They will try to hold you away from YouTube, Goole maps etc. but there are ways to prevent that. Look, I can do all the things that I want.

One tip, I pay every year McAfee as my virus protector. They have given me a button to clean all the registers etc from hidden files, cookies etc.
Besides that I changed the settings in Edge in order to limit the storing of unwanted cookies.
Posted By: Mn3Again

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Well catman, taking into account your 16 year on Ricks forum with 1.656 posts you really must have suffered by all the attacks on your sensitive nature.
You call it crap and there by insulting back your co-members on this forum.

Your parable about "this forum is like a boat at sea", explains and defines the poor universum where you live in.
Okay for you, but Rick was openly more inspired by Sailing Anarchy. I suggest you read their introduction statement.

My guess for the average (!) profile of the members of this cat-forum is: white, not poor, 75% republican, cock type (no chicken), definite opinion, well spoken, love the sailing on the water, love the decisions you have to make on the water, etc
So, they need no protection for their sensitive souls.

I don't know your age catman, but I would say: grow up man.


When Catman answers you give him all sorts of CRAP over answering honestly:
BUT when Jake responds with "I completely agree" - you thank him ???

northsea junkie - your response to Catman is way out of line. Personal attacks on his "sensitive nature, saying he lives in a "poor universum", telling him to grow up???? Are you trolling for an argument ? - sure seems like it



this EXACT type of ATTACK on a member (for answering a question that was posted) and is the MAIN REASON this site LOST it's active members


CATMAN is right 100% - politics, fighting and lack of e-leadership (plus the decline in the sport as a whole in the us)
Rick was was no internet marketing master, and failed to manage this community (when it was active) that would be a long term success. and RIck REFUSED to manage his email marketing (SPAMS) which is illegal and unethical -

The site was suffering massive attrition before Rick passed.


RIck was not the only reason the site is on it's death bed

Recreational cat-sailing as a sport is also in it's death throws
no one wants to hear a bunch of old sailors argue over rules or handicap crap
most technical questions have already been written about / covered on this site
only 2 people want to see the political stuff
this site was occasionally so UNFRIENDLY that it would scare off newbees: - there is a much more gentle alternative to how this site was ran (thebeachcats) - so ageing catsailors and no new blood = death of the population
Posted By: Mn3Again

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by northsea junkie
This thread learned me that I'm probably the only one who is irritated by the guardianship of the new moderator.


Damon has managed a successful sailing forum for a very long time
This one has gone from 1000's to 10 active members now (give or take) under "previous management"

I have tons of faith in his ability to manage a sailing forum
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 09:26 PM

Dear Andrew (Mn3Again), I know you hate me already for a long time.

Where were you by the way? Sleeping after your professional marketings job?

I suggest you reread your two previous posts again and share with us what you feel about that afterwards.
Posted By: Mn3Again

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 10:27 PM

I don't hate you
i don't dislike you.
i even admire your sailing spirit and respect your age

i hope there is some language barrier that causes our miss-understandings, but i think it is other ...


"Where have i been?" - I originally forced rick to close my account down (as the only way to stop getting his SPAM)

I only came back after Rick's passing, when I realized that I had connections at the hosting company Rick owed money: and was about to "throw the site away / forever losing this info (I worked with the CEO years ago) and I offered to help Damon save this site (with no benefit to me).

I have not been very active here since Damon took over because ... i didn't find it interesting
i only occasionally poke in to see if the site has any traffic at all and if there is anything interesting being discussed or amusing

when the AC starts up again i will be very interested in the opinions of many people here (whom i greatly respect)

I have re read my 2 posts as you suggested
I would have changed the way i worded 1 sentence but besides that ...

i still think your response to Catman was rude and one example why this site is in it's current status

You asked a forum a question, then you insult the person who responds, call him a baby and insult him in many others ways..

Have fun with that!
Posted By: Mn3Again

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/30/18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Edit: I'm also on record years ago about my distaste for the foul language and general SA-ization of this forum in recent years. I think that Mary used to be the better of the two with scrubbing the forum of that stuff, or at least people acted better when they thought she was.


When I joined, Mary definitely had a role in keeping people in-line but it seemed to me, she too was beat down with the fighting and personal attacks and bowed out due to it (at least that is what i thought after reading her final posts).
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/31/18 10:03 AM

Thank you Andrew for responding.

You gave a understandable summery about your position in this little eructation on the forum.

I always try to follow the rules of a gentlemen, so I'm not aware of any offence to my co-members on this forum.
We differ definetly about what you can expect in a gentlemens discussion or even a gentlemens row between grownups.

What we share, is that I was also bored the last half year on this forum hence my hearts cry "where is everybody".

My frustation to match led to a certain sharpness which I find however more than in the limits. I would do this again with a calm and free conscience.
Though my english is faded away a lot in the years, I find it ample sufficient for a sharp discussion. ( To be honest its also one of the reasons to join an english spoken forum)


Good thing is that I maybe stirred up this forum a little bit and forced the members to close the lines. Change always needs a little crisis on forehand.
And before you react again offended by that remark. I take no credit for that.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/31/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by Damon Linkous
Originally Posted by brucat
I took a hiatus because of the ads. Not because I don't want this place to make money, but because there were some extremely inappropriate ads being displayed. My kids (7 and 11) use this phone and my PC, and I don't need them to be seeing some of the stuff that came up.


Mike,

That is concerning, is this a recent problem (last six months?).

All the ads running on Catsailor are supplied by the Google Adwords program. There shouldn't be any NSFW type ads at all. The ads Google serves to a particular browser session depend on the context of the page and the browsing habits of the visitor.

I mostly see ads for software, shopping, and outdoor stuff.

There are no popups, pop-overs, pop-unders or anything like that running on the site, so if anyone sees anything like that it is probably a problem (malware) with your computer/browser.

If you do spot an ad that you don't like for any reason, look at the top right of the ad and there is a little X or the AdChoices symbol, if you click carefully on that you get the choice to report the ad.

Hope that helps and welcome back.



It was within the last six months. Regardless of what Google tells you, it has nothing to do with browsing habits. Yes, I see stuff come up related to browsing (boat stuff, house stuff, tractor stuff), but I'm married with kids, and have never searched for an Oriental (or any other) wife, which was actually the tamer of the options.

The final straw was a cruise company, I won't repeat the details. I've never been on a cruise, and have never searched for one, whether normal or this "special" one.

I'm not clicking on any tiny little arrow or X to make these go away. One fat finger, and I'll be taken to those sites.

Mike



They are absolutely based on your browsing history! I'm betting you guys don't see ads for CNC router systems. Actually, more accurately, it's based on your demographic that Google has put you in based on your browsing history combined with your browsing history.
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/31/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by Damon Linkous
Originally Posted by brucat
I took a hiatus because of the ads. Not because I don't want this place to make money, but because there were some extremely inappropriate ads being displayed. My kids (7 and 11) use this phone and my PC, and I don't need them to be seeing some of the stuff that came up.


Mike,

That is concerning, is this a recent problem (last six months?).

All the ads running on Catsailor are supplied by the Google Adwords program. There shouldn't be any NSFW type ads at all. The ads Google serves to a particular browser session depend on the context of the page and the browsing habits of the visitor.

I mostly see ads for software, shopping, and outdoor stuff.

There are no popups, pop-overs, pop-unders or anything like that running on the site, so if anyone sees anything like that it is probably a problem (malware) with your computer/browser.

If you do spot an ad that you don't like for any reason, look at the top right of the ad and there is a little X or the AdChoices symbol, if you click carefully on that you get the choice to report the ad.

Hope that helps and welcome back.



It was within the last six months. Regardless of what Google tells you, it has nothing to do with browsing habits. Yes, I see stuff come up related to browsing (boat stuff, house stuff, tractor stuff), but I'm married with kids, and have never searched for an Oriental (or any other) wife, which was actually the tamer of the options.

The final straw was a cruise company, I won't repeat the details. I've never been on a cruise, and have never searched for one, whether normal or this "special" one.

I'm not clicking on any tiny little arrow or X to make these go away. One fat finger, and I'll be taken to those sites.

Mike



They are absolutely based on your browsing history! I'm betting you guys don't see ads for CNC router systems. Actually, more accurately, it's based on your demographic that Google has put you in based on your browsing history combined with your browsing history.


Well that settle that, Mike's been surfing Asian smut sites. . . .
smile
I'm pissed that I'm not getting any raunchy ads.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/31/18 06:27 PM

As I mentioned before, I know that some of it matches search history (boat stuff, things I've searched for at Lowe's, etc.). But most definitely not this stuff.

I really don't think my kids are searching for this crap yet, either. They're usually just watching YouTube videos of music videos, marble runs or other things little boys like. And they play a couple of game Apps like Plants vs Zombies.

I'm not going to get in an extended argument about this, I'm just hoping Damon can fix this before I have to leave permanently. There has to be a setting for a host site to disallow this kind of thing. It doesn't make the site look good at all. BTW, I don't get this kind of thing on ANY other website, including those that use the Google ads.

Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/31/18 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by brucat


I really don't think my kids are searching for this crap yet, either. They're usually just watching YouTube videos of music videos, marble runs or other things little boys like. And they play a couple of game Apps like Plants vs Zombies.


Mike


You may want to do a little more snooping, Mike. Sadly us parents were informed that the 6th grade class had recently hacked the school network firewall to be able to access/view some questionable content.

I may question the 6th grade boys' ambition to surf "outside the perimeter", other than they most likely tried it just to see if they could.

And unless those music videos are Thomas the Train, Google may likely be picking up on some iota that it links to some ads you may find distasteful.

Thankfully I need no PhD in internet as my spouse could likely teach NSA a thing or two about how to monitor someone's whearabouts or behavior online.


Didn't Mary have something on this site that would auto-correct any perceived foul language? I believe we had a field day creating prose using those quirks... I'll have to trudge through some of those old posts....

I believe this site has value, and am willing to deal with the ad placement for the benefit of having access for free....

What I find ironic is that while most agree that they "hate" advertisements, the predominance of person(s) employed rely on advertising their product/service in order to remain employed. If no one advertised CNC router systems (using Jake's example), you may never buy one even if you needed one (because you wouldn't know where to look).

A restaurant that just puts a sign in the window will likely have a long row to hoe generating sufficient business without some advertising. Be it radio, television, internet, dude on the street, etc.

I would never have bought a set of sails had I not had the pleasure of speaking with Dave Calvert directly at a regatta. Was he there because he wanted to race with hacks like me? Most likely not..... ADVERTISING

Would I have been escorted out of the "Jiggly Room" on amateur night? Most likely not since I wouldn't have known of the event.... ADVERTISING

Would I have known:
- I can hang small construction workers to I-beams with superglue? ..... ADVERTISING
- I don't need a knife to cut a banana, that I can use a banana slicer? ..... ADVERTISING
- I could look like Susanne Sommers by squeezing my thighs? .... ADVERTISING
- I can make my screen door into a boat? ADVERTISING
- squatty potty (youtube it)....?

I mean, seriously, how sad would my life be without advertising?
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 01/31/18 10:04 PM

Oh, and let's not forget THE RED HOUSE FURNITURE

Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 12:21 AM

Wait, you left the nudie bar with an escort? I'm not sure that's what they were advertising, lol...

I'm reasonably sure Hunter isn't looking for anything like this, he doesn't even tell dirty jokes or ask difficult questions yet.

I see your point about the algorithms and YouTube choices. I do like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (half-oriental female lead singer), and the boys love Queen (We Will Rock You, etc.). It's a stretch, but that might explain the Asian wife thing, and the cruise (although why they would assume I want to spend a week on a boat with 1000 Freddy Mercuries is beyond me)...

Still doesn't make it acceptable here. I used to tell other sailors (monohullers) to check out this site to learn more about cats and our group. Not anymore.

Mike
Posted By: catman

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 01:11 AM

Maybe I'm missing something. I don't see any ad's. I recently switched to a Mac and have AD block plus. I only see posts. Not yet sure if that's a good thing.

Andrew, I'll answer a few more of your boat repair questions.

Sometimes I love him and sometimes I want to.......
Posted By: Mn3Again

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by catman
Maybe I'm missing something. I don't see any ad's. I recently switched to a Mac and have AD block plus. I only see posts. Not yet sure if that's a good thing.

Andrew, I'll answer a few more of your boat repair questions.

Sometimes I love him and sometimes I want to.......

On the top left of this (and every page i would guess), under "New Discussions", and in the "--Advertisement--" section, there is a rotating Google Ad Sense rotating through ads

And below

On both pc and mac
safari and chrome
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 02:44 AM

Andrew,

I get zero ads, nada, none, on any page on CS.
Posted By: Mn3Again

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by P.M.
Andrew,

I get zero ads, nada, none, on any page on CS.

interesting

what is type of computer are you using (Mac or PC)?
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 07:28 PM

I get them between posts, along the left side and just under the page heading at the top.

I clear my cache, history, and other stuff on the computer frequently, so most of the ads don't have any relevance to me.... But I don't see the russian bride ones...
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 07:31 PM

HA! I just noticed a 'travel buddy' site popped in my ads with a young-ish lady in the ad... the google is reading my posts!

so let's talk about Oatmeal, fence posts and skylarking.... just to see what ads pop up
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 07:33 PM

bingo... now a tractor supply ad....

let's see...

three-legged cat adoption
jiggle
garrish
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 10:47 PM

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice...

Wait, what did I just do?

Mike
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/01/18 11:57 PM

I'm still getting ads for my ISP and one was a tax service. I haven't seen the 4-ane brydes ads for a while. Let's see if Google can figure that one out.
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 12:10 AM

LOL! I found myself hitting refresh to see what ads would pop up. BTW, does that help the website earn money? After 5 or 6 times, the 4-ain bryde one popped up. The others were music sites (kids surfing history) a couple of clean travel sites, and my insurance company. It certainly goes off of browser history but I still don't know where the bryde one comes from. The models are pretty cute (nothing to risque) but way too young for me. Can someone talk to Google for me?
Posted By: Jake

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
HA! I just noticed a 'travel buddy' site popped in my ads with a young-ish lady in the ad... the google is reading my posts!

so let's talk about Oatmeal, fence posts and skylarking.... just to see what ads pop up


Lol, me too. I got a suggestive dating outfit advertisement as soon as I moved away from this site after I posted that. I have an adblocker plug in for my browser - I only see a small ad at the top of the pages.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 02:35 PM

I found a setting on my (Android) phone under Google settings, which is supposed to not customize what ads I see. It still shows me RV stuff, which can't be random (although I haven't searched for RV info since autumn).

No brides or cruises yet, so maybe it stops it from guessing?

BTW, Redtwin, too young? Assuming they're old enough to get into a bar, there is no such rule, lol. Let's see what that generates...

Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 03:00 PM

farfegnugin
where's the beef


see if they go that far back in time.... but again with the diesel scam they were found guilty of, maybe they pulled all their ads out of rotation...
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 03:02 PM

And I'm not an expert, but I don't think Damon gets paid until/unless you CLICK on the ad... or maybe you have to do more than that (like click around their site or *gasp* buy stuff)
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 03:04 PM

I do want to buy some jarts (lawn darts) though.... just to round out my "Can you say product liability" collection along with the Pacer, firestone tires, takata airbags, polybutylene plumbing and asbestos ceiling panels.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I do want to buy some jarts (lawn darts) though.... just to round out my "Can you say product liability" collection along with the Pacer, firestone tires, takata airbags, polybutylene plumbing and asbestos ceiling panels.




What do you have against the Ford Pinto? Or the 70s-80s GM pickup trucks?

Jarts were awesome. I wouldn't want to take a direct hit in the eye or top of the skull, but they were one of my favorite games as a kid.

Mike
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 03:42 PM

Jake, thanks for posting about CNC routers. I did get a CNC ad yesterday after you posted that, and had no idea why.

OK, so that means I'm getting targeted ads based on the perversions of other users here??? This is starting to make a lot more sense, LOL...

Weird.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
What do you have against the Ford Pinto? Or the 70s-80s GM pickup trucks?


Just got an ad for a Ford pickup truck. Also some sort of hunting knife. (I don't own a pickup, hunt or collect knives)...

Mike
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 05:01 PM

what was that Russian car that had a rear window defroster so that you could keep your hands warm while you pushed the $ng thing....?
Posted By: Redtwin

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/02/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I do want to buy some jarts (lawn darts) though.... just to round out my "Can you say product liability" collection along with the Pacer, firestone tires, takata airbags, polybutylene plumbing and asbestos ceiling panels.


Oh boy! You've done it now!!!
Posted By: Mn3Again

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/07/18 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
And I'm not an expert, but I don't think Damon gets paid until/unless you CLICK on the ad... or maybe you have to do more than that (like click around their site or *gasp* buy stuff)

Correct
goolge adsence is in the PPC universe (pay per click) - this program allows people to advertise google ads on their website for a few pennies per click

clicking around the site post ad does nothing for damon
Posted By: BrianK

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/07/18 09:27 PM

I haven't posted to this forum in about three years, mostly due to my utter disdain of Jay, Jake, and Timbo. I only checked this as I heard Mary had passed, which is sad. She was always fun to be around.

Back to the point... you guys suck.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/07/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by BrianK
I haven't posted to this forum in about three years, mostly due to my utter disdain of Jay, Jake, and Timbo. I only checked this as I heard Mary had passed, which is sad. She was always fun to be around.

Back to the point... you guys suck.


Dude, that's harsh!
Posted By: BrianK

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/08/18 01:22 AM

smile Hopefully will get the H16 off the trailer one of these days!
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/08/18 02:10 AM

What about the Tail Pan 4.9? Does Chuck still have it?
Posted By: Chuck

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/08/18 03:32 AM

the taipan lives. tim you should come over for KPRR this year and we can lock horns. maybe if we go to brian's house pick up his boat and set it up, he will sail too.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/08/18 03:35 AM

Stopped in here after a long absence. Glad to see some people still at it in one form or other.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/08/18 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BrianK
I haven't posted to this forum in about three years, mostly due to my utter disdain of Jay, Jake, and Timbo. I only checked this as I heard Mary had passed, which is sad. She was always fun to be around.

Back to the point... you guys suck.


Hah! sucker. I was watching the SpaceX launch earlier this week and wondering if you are still involved with videography of the fire propelled space darts.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/10/18 01:00 AM



Maybe if we tie Brian to the mast he will go out??

When is it Chuck? I would love to come!
Posted By: Damon Linkous

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/15/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Clayton
Stopped in here after a long absence. Glad to see some people still at it in one form or other.

Hi Clayton, good to see you back. Could you check your email address in the control panel and make sure it is current?

I received a bounce message from the email on your account, the system was probably trying to send you a notification of new posts on this thread.

Anyone else who has changed there email over the years please check your profile info too.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/17/18 01:59 PM

Ugh. Those cruise ads are back...

Mike
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/19/18 08:13 AM

Mike, I've said it already before to you: you have to kick Google out of your system.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/19/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Mike, I've said it already before to you: you have to kick Google out of your system.


1. It's an Android phone, so I don't think that's an option.

2. Why are we blaming the victim? I have nothing in my search activities that I wouldn't show my mom.

3. Why can't Damon get Google to stop allowing these NSFW ads? This is literally the only place I see these ads. Can't be a coincidence.

Mike
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/19/18 05:38 PM

I'm not familiar with Android but :

https://www.greenbot.com/article/30...search-engine-in-chrome-for-android.html

It seems possible to use Bing for instance with which I have good experience. You can then adjust the cookies setting.
And (not like Google does) it will actually listen to you.

My screen now, while typing on Catsailor, is clean from ads as a new-born baby.
Posted By: Damon Linkous

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/19/18 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Mike, I've said it already before to you: you have to kick Google out of your system.



3. Why can't Damon get Google to stop allowing these NSFW ads? This is literally the only place I see these ads. Can't be a coincidence.

Mike


Mike, could you send me a screenshot of the ads you find objectionable? Not sure what you consider NSFW, pornsite ads? You can use a PM or email me with damon at this site.

I don't have any control over which specific ads appear from the Google Adsense program, but it's possible to stop a category like alcohol or gambling.

Using software to block ads on website will only cause problems viewing and using the site since they block the loading of javascripts that also provide needed functionality. Also, blocking tracking cookies can produce the very problem you are having, since Google has no way of knowing what ads are relevant to you.

More practically, if there was indeed a good way to block ads then you remove the only small income that this site produces.
Posted By: northsea junkie

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? - 02/20/18 06:33 AM

Damon, it all has to do with freedom of and on the internet.

It would have been honest to add your last remark in the head of this forum. With the addition that the advertising is done according a profile which is automatically constructed and maintained by Google.
And google should stricly respect the wishes of the customers with regard to privacy ( they offend against in privat mode f.i.).

I run my pc nowadays as much as possible with Microsoft software and since that I'm not bothered by mal-advertising and I have no problems with loading sites.
© 2020 Catsailor.com Forums