Catsailor.com

when your having fun, get in trouble, and a fellow sailor decides to help :D

Posted By: dmcd38

when your having fun, get in trouble, and a fellow sailor decides to help :D - 08/21/19 08:50 PM

Posted By: Damon Linkous

Re: when your having fun, get in trouble, and a fellow sailor decides to help :D - 08/21/19 10:43 PM

How were you in trouble? Just tired and needed a lift?
Posted By: JeffS

Re: when your having fun, get in trouble, and a fellow sailor decides to help :D - 08/21/19 11:09 PM

18 months ago on our Nacra 5:8, my wife and I were in a 50km race from Goolwa to Milang in South Aus and we got hit by big wind about 20km into the race, even a mono hull trailer sailer was sunk, we knew we were going in five minutes before we did, we got knocked down and righted the boat. I told Liz we will just point into the wind and wait for the storm to pass, all the batten pockets were ripped or shredded and all the battens were broken already then a bigger gust came and blew us over backwards, we grabbed the main sheet above the blocks as we went over the back, then whilst on its side the boat got blown over backwards again. Luckily the traveller was off so we could maintain our hold on the sheet as the traveller went to the other side, all we could do was hold onto the boat as it got blown to shore. We were in the lead by a long way and got blown into a small channel, we could see the trailer sailers passing in the distance but none could see us, nor could the rescue boats, luckily an ex cat sailor had his motor boat in to watch the race and he shadowed us up the channel as we were blown along, then towed us back to a ramp. This took quite a while and the race organisers were frantic as they couldn’t find us and thought we were lost in the 20km wide lake that was the next leg of the race. We were extremely tired and thankful to have the help we received
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums