Catsailor.com

Lifejacket

Posted By: jabram

Lifejacket - 11/25/02 06:52 PM

Was wondering what type of lifejacket most of you all use? My family wants to buy a nice one for me but am not sure which of the new ones is really good for sailing.

Thanks

Jody Abrams
Hobie 16 Mod 59467
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Lifejacket - 11/25/02 07:47 PM

I like the Avenger, I ordered it from Murrays.com. Check Catsailors new store first though, they may have t.
Posted By: Sailing Pro Shop

Re: Lifejacket - 11/25/02 08:20 PM

I personally like the EXTRASPORT RETROGLIDE AVENGER which is slightly different from the Avenger.

I love this jacket!

Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Lifejacket - 11/25/02 09:02 PM

Candidly: Whichever one keeps my head above water.

Truthfully: I'll second the retroguide avenger.
Posted By: Kevin Rose

Re: Lifejacket - 11/25/02 09:31 PM

Lotus Designs rule!
Posted By: MaryAWells

Re: Lifejacket - 11/25/02 11:17 PM

Whatever kind it is, make sure it is bright orange or yellow. My husband bought me a pretty blue one, and I took that as a clue that he wants to get rid of me. Red is not as easy to spot in the water as orange or yellow. The purpose of a life jacket is not to make you look good on the boat -- it is to make you easy to find when you are in the water. Same goes for foul weather gear. When we were cruising, I fell in love with a beautiful white foul weather outfit, which I promptly bought. As soon as we were at sea, I noticed that it was exactly the same color as the whitecaps. After that I was afraid to wear it anywhere but on shore.
Posted By: Andrew

Re: Lifejacket - 11/25/02 11:25 PM

Stohlquist Mobius paddling jacket in yellow. It allows awesome freedom, the yellow color is highly visible and matches my Equipe half-harness, it's fully adjustable, and.. and... isn't that enough? Oh yeah, and it floats me high in the water.
Posted By: Kevin Rose

Re: Lifejacket - 11/25/02 11:41 PM

Mary,

Good points about color. Yellow and red are the best. (Take a look at the serious offshore foul weather gear you see on the bluewater racers.) My preference is yellow. Unfortunately, there has been a trend in PFD's toward "popular" colors that are impossible to see (greens, blues, black, etc.). Opt for hi-vis yellow!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums