Catsailor.com

"titles" question

Posted By: HoldenBeachin

"titles" question - 12/13/02 05:27 PM

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but can anyone update me on the titles (under a poster's name) being used by this forum? Under the FAQ section, the following titles are listed along with the required number of posts to get them:

0 stranger
25 newbie
50 journeyman
100 member
200 enthusiast
400 addict
700 old hand
1200 veteran
1600 Pooh-Bah
2500 Carpal Tunnel

Besides "stranger", I have seen none of the above titles. I have seen: Novice Poster, Found the: Starting Line / Course / Wind, and Decent or Great Sailor.

Are there numerical values attached to these titles? Are the titles manually assigned or automatic?

On this forum, I have found a person with 8 posts classified as a "stranger", while another person with 1 post is a "Novice Poster". There is also a "Novice Poster" with 53 posts, while another person with 39 post has "Found the Wind".

Just curious...

Mark Owens
1976 H16 sail # 19857
Posted By: Clayton

Re: "titles" question - 12/13/02 11:35 PM

uuhh.... yea thats right!

Posted By: MaryAWells

Re: "titles" question - 12/14/02 12:08 AM

The "titles" you listed are the default titles in the FAQ's that come with the forum. The forum administrator changed those titles to ones that are more based on sailing. So ignore that list of default titles.
Posted By: Kevin Rose

Re: "titles" question - 12/14/02 01:54 AM

Mary,

For what it's worth, I've found the user labeling features of the forum offensive. Whether it be "Can't find the wind," or a string of stars ("rate this user"), the use of a label has no relavance to what is being discussed. Everyone's input should be valued for the words that are written, whether they've posted once or a thousand times, or have been "rated" as a five star participant or a one star.

Re: "titles" question - 12/14/02 03:39 AM

I agree. A new version of the software for this forum is supposed to be coming out soon, and I hope it will eliminate a lot of that stuff or make it onable/offable. It was the last new version that added those ratings things, and I hate them. As far as the titles, I don't know whether they have plans to change or eliminate that feature, but I will pass your suggestion on to the software people.
Posted By: catman

Re: "titles" question - 12/16/02 02:11 AM

Offended??? Is this going just a little too far. Lighten up.
Mike

Re: "titles" question - 12/16/02 02:48 PM

Mike,

Just exactly what are you suggesting is "going too far"? Offering an opinion, or feedback?

Let me ask you a question. How do you think you would feel if every time someone made reference to your comments they used the phrase "novice sailor Mike Catley . . ."? (And, let’s say that the label came without any knowledge of your sailing skills, but rather from the fact that you’d only written one letter to the editor of your local newspaper.) Or, how would you feel if a single person didn't care for your remarks and decided to rate you as a “one star” contributor? (And that star carries on next to your name long after the comment has been forgotten.)

I was suggesting was that the titles assigned by the forum software have no relevance to a contributor’s integrity as a person, or their sailing ability. I also disliked the feature that allows a single user (like yourself) to label another contributor with "one star" simply because a comment rubs them the wrong way. Yes, I do find that offensive, and I was simply stating my opinion as a suggestion for improving the forum (which BTW, I’ve found to be really terrific otherwise).

Cheers,
Posted By: Jake

Re: "titles" question - 12/16/02 07:03 PM

Kevin,

I tried to bump your star level up a bit!

Seriously though, I'm sure the titles in question are undoubtedly just for fun and aren't meant to label posters. It's more or less a fun way to say "this guy (me) spends WAY to much time on his computer". Everybody goes through the same set of 'titles' so it's even and fair. The only reason someone has a lesser title is because they spend more time outside and less on the computer.

I don't care for the stars though. That IS a label and could run people off if they feel they've been stamped as negative or lesser - that star thing is completely political.

Re: "titles" question - 12/16/02 08:24 PM

Jake,

Thanks for your input. While it was never my intention to make a big deal about this topic (I realize that the intention is purely fun), I know that there have been several posters on this forum who have asked about the logic behind the titles. Folks do take notice of them, but are not always clear about how they are derived. Perhaps a better implementation would have titles that are more in line with how they are derived (number of posts in a particular time period).

Thanks again. I've always enjoyed your input on this forum. (Has nothing to do with the fact that you've recently joined the ranks of N6.0 owners )

Re: "titles" question - 12/17/02 02:51 AM

I thought I was clear. I suggested you lighten up. I questioned the fact that your offended by titles and stars.

As to how I FEEL about what other people think that don't really know me, I could care less. I know who I am.

Have fun!
Mike

By the way, If you need to be offended look at your post totals in this thread. Your stuck at 147
Posted By: Andrew

Re: "stuck" at 147 - 12/17/02 05:14 AM

Um, every appearance of a poster's name and info updates with each new post..thus, his next post will make him appear "stuck" at 148, as your next will "stick" you at 131.

sail fast

Re: "stuck" at 147 - 12/18/02 02:10 PM

Ummm, I know...But I am offended that I don't get instant credit for all the time I spend typing. After all I'm handicaped because I peck at the keyboard with one finger. I want to FEEL good about myself, GIVE ME INSTANT CREDIT.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Mike

Re: "titles" question - 12/18/02 06:11 PM

Kevin...

I too voiced my opposition to a rating system generated by users when it was introduced in October (use link below to get to page, my post is the 4th one down).

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I am pleased to hear that new software without this feature may be forthcoming. I suppose I wouldn't mind being rated by the moderator(s) of the forum (or posters who are "Old Salts", but this would be difficult to verify). I have sailed (recreationally) for over 30 years. While I respect everyone's opinion, given a choice of two opposing opinions, I probably would pay more heed to the advice of a "Novice Poster" who has extensive sailing experience, over that of a "Decent Sailor" who has only just recently started sailing.

Mark Owens
1976 H16 sail # 19857

Re: "titles" question - 12/18/02 07:20 PM

Mark,

Sounds like you articulated it pretty well in that post.

Having recently aquired the title of "grandpa", I've got a bit of water under the keel as well, although I didn't start sailing beach cats until five years ago. (I'm gravitating toward the extreme sports as I age. ) It's always been good to know that sailing has a place for all ages and abilities.

Re: "titles" question - 12/18/02 08:16 PM

OK, now who went and gave me 5 stars? How can I look sincere as a "rebel against the system" with a 5 star rating?

Well, come to think of it, they do look pretty impressive there, eh?

Maybe I was just a little too hasty with my prior post. Yeah, that's the ticket!! Oh, what a WONDERFUL idea a rating system is! Can we keep it, huh, huh? Now class, only pay attention to those forum posters who have earned the most stars!!

Mark Owens
1976 H16 sail # 19857
Posted By: dave taylor

Re: "titles" question - 12/18/02 09:40 PM

stars seem a bit off subject. now, if we could only get boats instead of stars. i'm sure there isn't anybody on this forum that wouldn't mind getting a boat (or five).

Re: "titles" question - 12/18/02 11:20 PM

The boat idea is good. Perhaps just a boat first.Then you would move up to a boat with a main sail, Then a jib, Then a chute. Of course the uni sailors might be offended by the addition of two more sails.....or even worse, OUTRAGED.

OK, OK I'm done.......Peace Kev.

Merry Christmas all
Mike Catley
Posted By: cappydec

Re: "titles" question - 12/19/02 04:02 AM

OK, I just can't resist---- What kind of boat is best suited to replace the stars? Should it be the Javelin or maybe the Nacra 6.0 or maybe a Hobie FX or maybe..... My vote is the Supercat-20. Sorry, but I couldn't just sit back on this one.
Don Caldwell
Supercat-20

Re: "titles" question - 12/19/02 02:30 PM

i was thinking of real boats. maybe the kind people who run this site (thanks mary, you're the best) could make sure there are enough sponsors for all of the people that post messages here. you know, maybe start with a pram, move up to a laser, and eventually, if you post enough, you end up with a new prindle 16 (i am a bit biased here).

Re: "titles" question - 12/19/02 05:04 PM

Dave,
Thanks for the thanks, but I don't have anything to do with the site -- it's all Rick's. I'm just a poster like everybody else. Except, being a woman, I tend to keep trying to change the subject when you guys get all bogged down in threads about epoxy and ratings. It's a man's world -- both on the forums and in my house, where football rules this time of the year.
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: "titles" question - 12/19/02 07:29 PM

Mary,
Speaking of Football.......
When we come down there next week, I'll be flying my Ohio State University flag from my sail. That way, when Florida kicks our butt, everybody will know who to point at and mock. I guess there's always a chance that OSU could pull off a victory, but I don't think it looks good for the good guys.
[Linked Image]
Jack Hoying
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Prindle 18 #1645
http://www.bright.net/~jmhoying/sailing/prindle.htm

We don't know who to root for - 12/19/02 07:51 PM

Jack,
We just have two tattered Miami Hurricanes flags on our car, so at least you will have a bigger, better display of spirit. It is going to be a tough game for us, because we don't know which team to root for.

Re: "titles" question - 12/19/02 11:43 PM

Ok Dave and Don you guys are opening another can of worms. Since it was Dave's idea he should have some say in what kind of boat........However I might be.....well......you know.......OFFENDED at having that P-boat or that SC as the boat. Certianly no mono-barge. Maybe we could use line,or sheets. That way if you had one sheet you might be considered as knowing more than a person who had 5 sheets. Because a person with 5 sheets would be considered as being full of sheet!

Something to think about.

Hey, you guys who didn't have any stars in this thread, I was feeling kind of bad because though I had one, you had none, so I gave you all a star so you could be just like me. Don't thank me it was the least I could do.

Mike
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: We don't know who to root for - 12/20/02 12:13 AM

Heres something we can all agree on...

root for NC State against the golden Doh-mers. We've never played them, but we've learned quickly that Irish fans are some of the most irritating people on the planet.

Re: "titles" question - 12/20/02 03:00 AM

in that case, thanks rick and go bucs.
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: We don't know who to root for - 12/20/02 04:40 AM

I'm sure my brother, who lives in Raleigh will be rooting for NC State. My nephew is a senior there. Maybe you know him......how big can the campus be? His name is Joey Hoying and can usually be found with a can of cheap beer in his hand.
Jack Hoying
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Prindle 18 #1645
http://www.bright.net/~jmhoying/sailing/prindle.htm
Posted By: Cary Palmer

Re: "titles" question - 12/20/02 10:08 PM

I think this is way too foolish to get worked up about. Jake is probably right, though.
Maybe the star ratings ought to be rewrtitten as
1= too busy sailing to mess with his computer.
2=just asking a few questions to get me started
3=I found out a few things but I still have a little bit more to ask about.
4=It must be winter and I can only sail after the snow melts
5=I used to sail but now I spend so much time on the PC that all I can do is talk about it.
CARY
Going home to sail for the weekend
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: We don't know who to root for - 12/20/02 10:27 PM

Jack,

I'm a senior as well, thank god I only have one more semester then maybe I can afford a decent boat!

NC State has over 30,000 undergrads alone, so finding your nephew might be a little tough. I could always look him up in the stalker's friend, errr.. I mean the online phone book.

If he's near the beer, then theres no telling where he hangs out... beer springs forth from the taps here. Our neighbors have a kegerator built into their countertop in their kitchen.

My take on the titles... do like we do on thewolfweb and let people choose their own.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums