Catsailor.com

Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines

Posted By: Surf

Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/30/03 07:26 PM

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any guidance for renting cats or monohulls dinghy's. The local college has some monohull rental boats and is looking into buying multihulls for their rental program.

What do you suggest for the following:

1. What experience does the person renting the boat need? In addition, if they need experience how do you verify it?

2. Do you need a chase boat (I think so but the college seems to not want to get one)?

3. What type of sailboats would you use in a rental program, sailboat 8-20 ft.? Multihulls and monohull dinghies?

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Posted By: DanWard

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/30/03 08:47 PM

Chris White (best known for cruising multihull design) has done it.

http://www.wingo.com/chriswhite/tiltrig.html
Posted By: DanWard

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/30/03 08:53 PM

Sorry ...I posted that to the wrong thread
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/30/03 09:39 PM

The University of FLorida has Lake Wauberg as the rec facility off campus that has been active 50 years. I believe the present director is Paul Jones.
They maintained Hobies (14,16,18) there for a long time, that were usually broken by users, damaged or unusable. Now they have 2 Hobie Waves, with various Sunfish, sit-on kayaks, canoes, Windsurfers (see Hobie history above), paddleboats, and old class sailboats (rather tippy 420s) from the UF Sail Club. There is a 200 yard swimming test, and sailboat parts test. There are DEFINITELY power boats available to the rec study student assistants- used all the time, year around. I have never heard of a fatality in 32 years..

Tho one fool did see his girl friend tip a canoe over in the reeds, and did not fetch help with the power boat. Instead, he did swim off the boat ramp down at the end of Lake Wauberg where it said "Do not feed the gators- No Swimming". He now salutes left handed, as his right arm was mostly removed by a very large female gator. It was sewn back on by one of our best Florida sailors, but there were nasty bacteria involved, so it was like being bitten by a Komodo dragon. I am not making this up. See the UF website for details- on just the sailing part, of course.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines *DELETED* - 01/31/03 02:28 AM

Post deleted by Mary
Posted By: Surf

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/31/03 03:22 AM

I am just wondering how people throughout the country are running rental programs or what people have experienced when renting dinghy sailboats. I am not looking to start a rental program or for legal advice so please if anyone has had experiences or ran a rental program the input would be appreciated. None of this information will be used to develop a rental program as the college already has one.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/31/03 06:00 AM

I wish my college sailing program had a variety like that.

We're operating on 12 year old JY's that are coming apart litterally at the seems and 25+ year old highlanders.

We're desperately seeking a fleet of 420's so our upstart racing team can remain competitive.

(psst, that means if you know anyone looking to get rid of any kind of boats, our non-profit status affords us the opportunity to extend tax write-offs, thanks)
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/31/03 06:54 AM

Surf, check our website for Sail Sand Point, in Seattle for some ideas. www.sailsandpoint.org The website will be updated shortly with info for 2003 Programs. Hope you will be able to come over for Multihull Camp July 21 to 25, plus Fast and Fun on July 26 and 27.

Caleb Tarleton
Posted By: catman

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/31/03 01:09 PM

Hey Surf,
Try www.sailhoneymoon.com
Glen ,the owner has been in the rental biss. over 15 years. He's located on Dunedin Causeway here in Fla.
Posted By: Sunjammers

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/31/03 04:49 PM

We have had great luck with the Waves and Getaways for rental. We do not rent H16's anymore we spent more time chasing them around the gulf. Most of the time if someone has no sailing experience but wants to learn I will simply take them out on a Wave and give them a 10-15 min lesson, usually this is enough for them to come back to the beach. I don't believe that a chase boat is needed if you do not get anything bigger than a Getaway, Sometimes insurance requires a chase boat. Let me know if I can help in any way, we've been renting cats/sunfish for about 6 years.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
850-235-2281
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Posted By: nesdog

Re: Help! Sailboat Rental Guidelines - 01/31/03 05:29 PM

I teach sailing classes at the UCLA Aquatic Center in Marina Del Rey. We teach a variety of classes, starting with Beginning Sail in Holder 14's, then advancing through Vanguards, Lasers and Hobie 16's. As students pass these classes, they are qualified to take out the boats during rental hours under certain conditions.
We do have whalers we use as chase boats. Here is a link to the MAC page with more info:

http://www.recreation.ucla.edu/OAHome/Sailing/SailClassinfo.htm

Sheldon
P-18

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums